AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-26, 07:40   Link #2161
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for Manga - A little treat for Seishin fans (Bun :p ):
Actually...
Spoiler for response:

Quote:
It wasn't shown it was heavily implied he was rescued by Natsuno. I think Natsuno even confirmed it during his dialogue with Tatsumi, but I'm not sure.
hm...I don't think Natsuno ever confirmed it, though yes, heavily implied.
Spoiler for manga comparison:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-07-27 at 00:08.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 09:47   Link #2162
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Spoiler for From what I've heard about the novels:
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 14:05   Link #2163
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:

O__O yeah Ill be saving that.

Quote:
From what I've heard, in the original novel (I can say this now that the series is over right?)
Novel and manga talk is ok as long as it deals with what was shown in the anime so talk of Seishin's rising is fine

21.5 was again excuted wonderfully. I like that both OAD's were told thru other ppl's eyes. Damn Moto. The brain part almost made me jump, I was like, oh gawd! Didnt expect it. She kinda reminded me of Nao in that she was left with nothing but unlike Nao wasnt a Shiki. Seriously I could watch several more of these OAD's but the manga will do.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 15:59   Link #2164
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Actually...
Spoiler for response:
Ah, yes, I had forgotten werewolves "rose" faster. Seishin is really the only true winner of this anime. The village he hated so much burnt down, freeing him at last; he became an immortal superhuman; and last but not least, he got himself a cute legal loli. Lucky bastard.
Old 2011-07-27, 21:45   Link #2165
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Finished it a few hours ago (and now I see some mentions of extra episodes that I haven't watched, so maybe finished isn't quite the right word) and want to get one thing off my chest:

Die, Seishin, you spineless, cowardly traitor! Die! And take Sunako with you to hell, will ya?

Ah, that felt nice. I don't know if it was intentional or not but I saw Seishin as the embodiment of pseudo-intellectual who always tries to see the situation through every viewpoint, never takes quick decisions and uses a lot of lofty phrases he doesn't really understand. Which would have been harmless enough, if he weren't playing with people's lives.

I loved the show's dark atmosphere and the OST but I am not too crazy about the plot. There is always a big problem with those town and villages where people die every day and no one finds it all that odd. The show tried really hard to draw a parallel between shiki and humans but didn't do it too well. It really bothers me when part of the fandom of such shows (cough, Buffy, cough) defends the supernatural killers with phrases like "well, humans can be complete monsters too". Yes, they can but generally the vast majority of humans do not murder for pleasure. If only a small percentage of shiki, vampires, werewolves or whatever supernatural creatures are in a given show bother to fight their nature, why should we blame the humans who fight back and kill them? If you have met ten shiki so far and all of them were killers, would you be inclined to believe the eleventh one when he claims he is actually a nice guy?

Anyway. grumbling aside, I haven't watched an anime series so quickly (in just a few days) since forever, so I enjoyed it overall. I am just sick of woobie vampires, so that's mostly my problem, not an objective problem of the show. I really liked Natsuno, Ritsuko and Toshio (only later on, he was a bit of a moron early on). Megumi and Tatsumi were interesting villains. Sunako...I am so tired of scary little girls, to be honest.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 22:08   Link #2166
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow now I know why they they played these 2eps as ova it would have they would have ruined the main story with being so creepy
Old 2011-07-27, 22:27   Link #2167
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Yes, they can but generally the vast majority of humans do not murder for pleasure. If only a small percentage of shiki, vampires, werewolves or whatever supernatural creatures are in a given show bother to fight their nature, why should we blame the humans who fight back and kill them? If you have met ten shiki so far and all of them were killers, would you be inclined to believe the eleventh one when he claims he is actually a nice guy?

Except that the humans not only were killing Shikis,they started going after people that were simply bitten (and being bitten once isn't deadly,they could have recovered) or supposed "traitors" when they had no proof and sometimes were just innocent people.

The humans were also in denial about the shikis still being the same people they were when they were alive.
It's one thing to accept the fact that "hey,I'm going to have to kill this person I'm very fond of to survive,so be it", and another to try and confort yourself by saying "this isn't the person I once knew,so it's ok to kill that person" because the latter is a complete lie,the shikis still had memories and emotions so they still were very much the same person.
Old 2011-07-27, 22:29   Link #2168
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I thought we would get an episode focused on the little brother? I mean we haven't seen how he survived after entering the shiki sleeping place. Or am I misremembering things, it has, after all, been a year (?!) since the series started.
I've been wondering the same thing. Personally, I don't even think it's implied that Natsuno saved him unless you read a lot between the lines - in the anime anyway. It does make the most sense, but my sincere hope is that they show it in more detail in the final extra episode.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 00:25   Link #2169
Matrim

Quote:
It's one thing to accept the fact that "hey,I'm going to have to kill this person I'm very fond of to survive,so be it", and another to try and confort yourself by saying "this isn't the person I once knew,so it's ok to kill that person" because the latter is a complete lie,the shikis still had memories and emotions so they still were very much the same person.
I don't think it's the same person if the chance of a regular person becoming a murderer is less than one percent and the chance of a shiki becoming one is more than ninety-nine percent (or a hundred percent as far as the villagers knew). That's one heck of an important difference, so it wasn't like the humans were denying reality completely. Having to kill someone whom you know and like is a horrible ordeal and I can't really blame anyone for pretending the shikis were less human than they actually were (and we shouldn't forget that unlike the viewers the average villager never saw the shikis behaving altruistically like Tohru and Ritsuko). Considering they were going to kill them anyway, pretending or not pretending, so all they did was make it a little bit easier for themselves.

Quote:
Except that the humans not only were killing Shikis,they started going after people that were simply bitten (and being bitten once isn't deadly,they could have recovered) or supposed "traitors" when they had no proof and sometimes were just innocent people.
Some of them went over the line, yes. That's sadly pretty much inevitable in such circumstances (panic, mob rule, quite justified suspicion that anybody could be an enemy in disguise) but still it's a far cry from the systematic slaughter that was the shikis' modus operandi for months.

Old 2011-07-28, 04:02   Link #2170
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
If only a small percentage of shiki, vampires, werewolves or whatever supernatural creatures are in a given show bother to fight their nature, why should we blame the humans who fight back and kill them? If you have met ten shiki so far and all of them were killers, would you be inclined to believe the eleventh one when he claims he is actually a nice guy?
Quote:
but still it's a far cry from the systematic slaughter that was the shikis' modus operandi for months.
Just want to point out one of your assumptions here: that none of the shiki except those we were shown opposed the systemic slaughter. That's a pretty dangerous assumption. Unfortunately,
Spoiler for slight manga spoilers:

p.s. let me just try to place myself in the range of opinions here, just in case anyone thinks I'm trying to defend the shiki by saying that "the humans can be monsters too":

I look at each character in accordance with the context surrounding each of their struggles/decisions etc. There are characters on both sides whose actions I can't condone, but I try to understand exactly what brought about those actions.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-07-28 at 07:53.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:55   Link #2171
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I don't think it's the same person if the chance of a regular person becoming a murderer is less than one percent and the chance of a shiki becoming one is more than ninety-nine percent (or a hundred percent as far as the villagers knew). That's one heck of an important difference.

Except the difference doesn't come from simply turning into a Shiki.

It comes from waking up in an organisation that forces its members to kill by saying "kill or be killed" or "kill that person or we'll kill them ourselves anyway"

And just by Karica67 I'm not trying to defend the actions

I'm just saying the situation was a whole lot more complex than some villagers were making out to be.

In the end to me a war was fought because a few extremists on both sides wanted to fight it and in the process lots of innocent blood on both sides was shed for the interest of those few extremists.
Old 2011-07-28, 13:23   Link #2172
Matrim

Quote:
Except the difference doesn't come from simply turning into a Shiki.

It comes from waking up in an organisation that forces its members to kill by saying "kill or be killed" or "kill that person or we'll kill them ourselves anyway"
Which is once again something the viewers knew but not the villagers. When you learn that someone you know has turned into a bloodsucking murderous monster, jumping to the conclusion that he must be doing it under duress is hardly plausible. And, of course, the shiki could have ran away or tried to warn their families and friends instead of following the path of the least resistance, or ganged up against Tatsumi. No one forced Sunako to kill when she became a shiki, yet kill she did... a lot. Once they got over their initial shock, most shikis seemed to be enjoying the killing, rather than view at as reprehensible but needed for them to survive.

Old 2011-08-09, 04:31   Link #2173
neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post

The humans were also in denial about the shikis still being the same people they were when they were alive.
Killing people who had been bitten was an invention of the 20.5 OVA. In the manga, Oogawa didn't even think about killing the mind controlled servants who had stabbed him (four times). 20.5 rewrote the intended purpose of that section of the manga, to show how hard it was for the humans to do it as opposed to the callousness of the Shiki. Just look at villager who ran across shiki coming home late from a meeting. His former neighbors turned shiki not only don't even think to help him, they chat with his future killers. The parts it retained from the original, like the villager refusing to kill one shiki because he owed him a lot, when that shiki had unknown to him killed his son, look jarringly out of place.

The manga makes it clear that shiki like Nao who had given into their darker impulses were no longer human and unlike a human criminal, had no chance of redemption. It also showed that Nao's family had been friends with the family of the guy with the hat whose father had been shot. His son had also been killed by a shiki before. Nao either did it or stood by and let it happen. That's why he wanted to destroy her.

Last edited by neutrino; 2011-08-09 at 04:45.
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 05:08   Link #2174
neutrino

Quote:
Ah, yes, I had forgotten werewolves "rose" faster. Seishin is really the only true winner of this anime. The village he hated so much burnt down, freeing him at last; he became an immortal superhuman; and last but not least, he got himself a cute legal loli. Lucky bastard.
Quote:
Die, Seishin, you spineless, cowardly traitor! Die! And take Sunako with you to hell, will ya?

Ah, that felt nice. I don't know if it was intentional or not but I saw Seishin as the embodiment of pseudo-intellectual who always tries to see the situation through every viewpoint, never takes quick decisions and uses a lot of lofty phrases he doesn't really understand. Which would have been harmless enough, if he weren't playing with people's lives.
Seishin lacked the courage to end his own life or even walk away from his role in the village. At least the manga makes it clear that like Cain, he and Sunako will wander the wastelands in despair, an even more meaningless existence than he had before. That's an ironic similarity to his own father's fate, who thought he could have a new life as a shiki but ended up still paralyzed.
neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 05:56   Link #2175
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

After finishing the series, I'm very confident in saying for me this was the best series about vampires, or I may go as bold to say this was the best one for me in all medium that portrayed vampires. It was a bit slow in the beginning but it paid off with the ending almost spectacular beside the few complaints, it was still an appropriate conclusion. It took its time to build the plot and never rushing anything. Its execution is one of the better I've seen in the anime. It was very moving and poignant in many scenes, it makes me think.

Even in the process of watching it, I was eagerly waiting for that bloody end for shiki. I found a lot of them irritating, overindulgent and disrespectful. Here they just come to small town and do what they please, stomping the rules and regulations of the town. That's why I probably found the ending satisfying if not brutal but most shiki had it coming. The villagers not realising they were slowly being killed by vampires, I thought was natural when they are just small town folks not interested in superstitions.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 10:01   Link #2176
mei misaki fan

i have just finished watching this for the first time and really enjoyed it. my biggest surprise was that at the start i disliked the shiki and wanted them to be wiped out but then i ended up feeling a bit sorry for them at the end.
mei misaki fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 03:02   Link #2177
topboy
poor man

After I finished Shiki, I ask myself a question.What did we(story/shiki) accomplish here?
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire