Notices

Old 2012-10-16, 07:44   Link #281
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Spoiler for end:
Now that certainly gave me a whole different mental image on what the ending was about.

(Incidentally, on my Normal playthrough I had a female sniper who got nicknamed "Emo". She was so good at killing aliens that she had like 100+ kills by the time my campaign ended. )

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 08:03   Link #282
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Just finished my valk/all female play-through!
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 12:44   Link #283
Blaat

Grats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Just saying what worked for me, I found Classic to be not that difficult, and am rampaging through Classic Ironman fairly easily as well.
And what worked for you might not be the best option available, especially for impossible mode.
Old 2012-10-16, 14:16   Link #284
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Lasers are really a stop-gap measure until you get the plasma weaponry.

I think when I have time I'll do another run through but now that I know what to focus on I should be able to use resources more efficiently.

IMO I would ignore the ghost, skeleton and Titan armor and go directly for the Archangel. I cannot find a reason to ignore that one.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 15:46   Link #285
Key Board
Carbon

playing Classic

Arcangel is only good for Snipers who are parked far away. Unlike heavy floaters, flying doesn't give you a dodge bonus.

Ghost and Titan is much preferable

Ghost = stealth and 100% chance criticals (even on aliens that are supposedly immune)
Titan = less injured soldiers
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 16:41   Link #286
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Grats! And what worked for you might not be the best option available, especially for impossible mode.
Considering no one has finished it yet, we shall see.

I also agree that Titan Armor and Ghost Armor are better on anyone who isn't a sniper, Archangel armor was really made with snipers in mind.
Old 2012-10-16, 17:45   Link #287
Blaat

I have to third the archangel is better on snipers. Didn't know about the 100% crit thing on ghost armor, need to try that out one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Considering no one has finished it yet, we shall see.
Indeed.

Anyway I finally finished the game for the first time on classic/iron man. It would have been nice to know what to expect in the final two rooms beforehand but I managed there at the end (even if the final three ethereals managed to mindcontrol my three best and highest hp squad members )

I immediately tried impossible/iron man. I had to retry the prologue mission but eventually managed to get through. After that I failed the first abduction mission, completed the first crash mission, failed the second abduction, ignored the first council mission and by the end of the first month five countries left the council.

Yeah this is certainly different from classic.

I've noticed that Sectoids have as much health as your rookies (4 hp), more when they're mind melted and the AI loves to (ab)use this. Outsider have five hp.
Also during abduction missions the country you don't go to will immediately go in panic mode. So I'm guessing you won't have the luxury of launching satellite to nations you want (high incomes or for continental bonus) I guess this means Africa will be the most viable starting location.
Grenades vs Scopes will be a difficult decision to make, both will help a lot in impossible mode. I'm currently leaning for grenades but I'll see how it comes.

I think I'll stick with a non-ironman impossible game (save scumming here I come!) before I try ironman again.
Old 2012-10-16, 17:58   Link #288
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
playing Classic

Arcangel is only good for Snipers who are parked far away. Unlike heavy floaters, flying doesn't give you a dodge bonus.

Ghost and Titan is much preferable

Ghost = stealth and 100% chance criticals (even on aliens that are supposedly immune)
Titan = less injured soldiers
To be honest I found the AI ridiculous in that they almost always had a high chance of hitting me. IMO the archangel armor allows you to get those first shots in before they can.

Take the terror missions for example, I finished those a lot faster with the Archangel than with the Titan.

Plus your soldiers seem to get a bonus all around for their accuracy.

I move closely and the second I find the enemy, I send everyone up into the air to save fuel and they can't be flanked as a result nor can they get hit by grenades. Within a turn or two the aliens are pretty much dead and I find that it's easier to hit floaters in the air.

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2012-10-16 at 18:09.
Old 2012-10-16, 21:31   Link #289
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Yikes not having the officer training school right off the start in Classic hurts. I'm doing so bad right now with 10 soldiers dead in only 3 hours...
Old 2012-10-17, 11:08   Link #290
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
It does actually. Flying with Archangel armor gives you +20 Defense that can be plainly seen on the info screen, even if it isn't listed on the abilities.

Archangel Armor and Ghost Armor actually both provide +20 Defense, though the Ghost Armor has said defense as an always-on passive feature, while Archangel only provides it when you're flying.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 13:35   Link #291
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Exactly. That's why it's a huge advantage because with your guys in the air, they can't be flanked nor can they get hit by grenades and if you upgrade it, you get 12 fuel points which so long as you use it wisely your whole team can stay airborne for the entire mission. Plus your accuracy is increased.

My heavies were able to dodge shots from those sectopods and were immune to splash damage as well.

The problem I find with ghost armor is the fact it only has 4 fuel points.
Old 2012-10-17, 14:35   Link #292
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

You know on my second play through on Classic mode, I'm really starting to appreciate having my base in South America. The bonuses you get from researching aliens corpses and live aliens give you a overall nice research speed bonus on specific alien technologies which I find I so sorely need to level the playing field against the invaders quickly.
Old 2012-10-17, 15:54   Link #293
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The problem I find with ghost armor is the fact it only has 4 fuel points.
You just gotta parcel it carefully. Ghost armor is LUDICROUSLY useful if you like to play around with assault soldiers. It's extremely useful when combined with snipers with squadsight, since the stealthed troopers can spot for them, then follow it up with a close range double shotty attack.
Old 2012-10-17, 15:56   Link #294
Blaat

The only good thing about the Americas is USA and Canada, every thing else is not worth it neither the bonuses nor wasting satellites on Latin American countries. :P

Some impossible game mode advice:
1. abuse the oversight-while-outflanking AI exploit to minimize your troops getting damage while at the same time taking your time killing them.
2. ignore the first scout UFO, and destroy the medium UFO that tries to destroy the satellite afterwards, actually this can also be done on any other difficulty. There is no difference in difficulty and you get better loot.
3. Heavy's holorecording skill is useful early game, the aim percentage is ridiculously low every little bit helps (other skill is still better for medium/late game).
4. Grenades are your best friends. Grenades are so useful as they no longer instantly kill full HP aliens but at the same destroy most covers and lower the HP of enemies.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:22   Link #295
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
You just gotta parcel it carefully. Ghost armor is LUDICROUSLY useful if you like to play around with assault soldiers. It's extremely useful when combined with snipers with squadsight, since the stealthed troopers can spot for them, then follow it up with a close range double shotty attack.
The problem is the range.

I mean sure you send some assault troops into the back to flank the enemy and such but then they themselves are vulnerable afterwards. This is bad especially in situations where the map has like half a dozen Sectopods (Good lord those are annoying).

With the Archangel armour all I have to do instead is fly the assault trooper to flank the enemy and score a direct hit. Next turn with a 20+ defense she/he cannot be flanked and their health is strong enough to withstand a shot. Plus you see everybody in a much larger radius and therefore can pretty much hit anybody. This is extremely useful because I can get my guys from Point A to Point B very quickly and this is important in Terror missions.

Just how I see it.
Old 2012-10-17, 19:51   Link #296
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
The problem is the range.

I mean sure you send some assault troops into the back to flank the enemy and such but then they themselves are vulnerable afterwards. This is bad especially in situations where the map has like half a dozen Sectopods (Good lord those are annoying).
Range isn't as much of a problem with run and gun. And if you manage to time your attack right and you double tap them with ally cannons at point blank range...With a little luck, and back up from your snipers, supports and heavies, there won't BE anything alive for your assault soldiers to be vulnerable to.

Played a few matches of multiplayer tonight.

I gotta say. My experiance is leading to believe that quantity is a HUGE factor in winning games, rather than having 1-2 super elite soldiers. It might be tempting to really pimp a couple of those guys out, but remember. Cheap ass soldiers armed with economical weapons (lasers, light plasma) can overwhelm better equiped guys, especially if the well equipped groups try's to split up and flank. I don't care how elite or decked out your guy is. He can get picked off by a larger, not as well equipped squad working together.

Haven't run into any mind control units yet.
Old 2012-10-17, 22:49   Link #297
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

No but then their shots aren't blocked then because they're in the air.

About to give the Classic a try though is it possible to "turtle" or "grind" and hold the line before moving on in the main story? Or do you have to keep progressing through the story in order to stay alive?

I mean before the alien base assault is it possible to grind the soldiers up to colonel status before heading in?
Old 2012-10-17, 23:03   Link #298
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

^ Yes you can grind for money and ranks as long as you don't do the prioritized research. I'm already a year ahead in the story in normal and I haven't advance through the story at all.

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 00:08   Link #299
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
No but then their shots aren't blocked then because they're in the air.

About to give the Classic a try though is it possible to "turtle" or "grind" and hold the line before moving on in the main story? Or do you have to keep progressing through the story in order to stay alive?

I mean before the alien base assault is it possible to grind the soldiers up to colonel status before heading in?
The only reason to rush the story is if you feel you are losing the panic control and is unable to halt the bleeding. I myself consider the Alien Base a good time to slow down and finish all the research, levelling and construction I could. In general it is a good idea to get arc throwers and alien containment because they are so good at getting you decent technology. But the Alien Base is when the Sectopod first showed up, and I think it is best if you got all the good guns before then.

p.s. I feel warm and fuzzy to find out that civilian research into Chrysalids lead to the cure for Alzheimers.
Old 2012-10-18, 00:30   Link #300
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Ok I'll give that a try on Classic and grind before assaulting the first alien base.

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy