Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-06-24, 22:49   Link #2841
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
Didn't say. From his indication to "use Google Translator" on one line, though, I think it's a combination of the Japanese web novels and something else.
Well, let's hope the Taiwanese release won't be held-up so that he can have the final product to work with. IIRC there are some differences between the web and published novels too, so he might need to run through them again when he gets the book

It would be nice if the rest of Dragon Roar is translated. A glimpse at the end of chapter 9 suggests that Mamare might have intended it to lead into volume 7, aka 6 -> Dragon Roar -> 7.

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2014-06-24 at 23:39.
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 04:00   Link #2842
RDNexus

So Dragon Roar is actually only 9 chapters? Hmm...
But, oh well, at least, like that, it'd really make a nice single side-story volume.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 14:37   Link #2843
DQueenie13

Question about volume 7/web novel chapter 55:

Spoiler for spoilered in case anyone hasn't read it:

Also, something unrelated I noticed but probably was pointed out before:
Spoiler:

Last edited by DQueenie13; 2014-06-25 at 22:00.
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 03:01   Link #2844
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Also, something unrelated I noticed but probably was pointed out before:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Signature by liro
Old 2014-06-26, 09:12   Link #2845
Gimmesum

just read skythewood translatation on ch. 55

Perhaps this is how Nureha notice Shiroe overskill...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Gimmesum; 2014-06-27 at 05:22.
Gimmesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 09:26   Link #2846
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Some speculation from reading the thread (and I didn't even notice the part you mentioned, since the book I sourced had them from all different books):

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmesum View Post
just read skythewood translatation on ch. 55
You should probably spoiler that, since not everyone's read it. Ah well, then again, this is the novel thread. You snooze, you lose.

Spoiler for response:
Old 2014-06-26, 20:34   Link #2847
Gimmesum

Quote:
You should probably spoiler that, since not everyone's read it. Ah well, then again, this is the novel thread. You snooze, you lose.
my bad, sorry I didnt know how to use spoiler
Old 2014-06-27, 12:36   Link #2848
DQueenie13

Reading the rough translation for chapter 56.

Spoiler:

Wait .... does that mean in the next translated chapter, we get
Spoiler:

Last edited by DQueenie13; 2014-06-27 at 13:05.
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 14:52   Link #2849
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Yeah, reading the rough translation illuminated a lot of how Minami works. There's somewhat of a strict hierarchy, but jeez making them integrate by force is showing a lot of small schisms with the factionalism that's bubbling under the surface.

Though ironically it did remind me of the RTC for some reason.

And really? Under-girding their whole societal structure with serfdom and slavery? I thought modern people would be repelled by such ideas. While Minami might extol the rapid progress they have made in a short time, I think the relative free market Akiba developed would unleash creative forces better in the long run.

As for the Currency and trade issue. Its interesting how the Kunie has no concept of loans or other banking services outside of withdrawal and deposits. This societal structure as was pointed out has really kept the merchant class at a very subservient role inhibiting the development of technologies.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 15:01   Link #2850
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
As for the Currency and trade issue. Its interesting how the Kunie has no concept of loans or other banking services outside of withdrawal and deposits. This societal structure as was pointed out has really kept the merchant class at a very subservient role inhibiting the development of technologies.
the whole point of making loans is to make a profit form the interest. the Kunie clan has access to unlimited gold. What would the point be at making loans then?
Old 2014-06-27, 15:15   Link #2851
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the whole point of making loans is to make a profit form the interest. the Kunie clan has access to unlimited gold. What would the point be at making loans then?
That is true. Though I was looking more into the incentives to develop new technologies and recovering old magic.

As for the setting of Elder Tales, I thought we already established that the setting was Earth post-apocalypse? Hence the names and ruined structures.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 16:37   Link #2852
DQueenie13

Quote:
Yeah, reading the rough translation illuminated a lot of how Minami works. There's somewhat of a strict hierarchy, but jeez making them integrate by force is showing a lot of small schisms with the factionalism that's bubbling under the surface.

Though ironically it did remind me of the RTC for some reason.

And really? Under-girding their whole societal structure with serfdom and slavery? I thought modern people would be repelled by such ideas. While Minami might extol the rapid progress they have made in a short time, I think the relative free market Akiba developed would unleash creative forces better in the long run.
Don't forget that this isn't applicable to just Minami. Plant Hwyaden also took over Nakasu in this fashion.

Considering that both Nureha and Indicus aim to conquer the entirety of Minami, their methods aren't terribly surprising. This makes me wonder if they discovered Real Food Preparation before Akiba, and if they did, why they concealed it. People from all over went to Akiba due to the rumors of tasty food (if I remember correctly), which means that it attracted a lot of attention. Had PH found it first, by revealing it, wouldn't they attract much more Adventurers?

Quote:
As for the setting of Elder Tales, I thought we already established that the setting was Earth post-apocalypse? Hence the names and ruined structures.
I don't think the anime mentioned that, or if it did, it seriously glossed over it. I've seen several people questioning why there were abandoned cars and other such modern-day sights. The anime probably tried implying it, but some people seem to be confused by it.
Old 2014-06-27, 18:24   Link #2853
yulinard

Quote:
Japan in Edo period are more or less like this. Centralized on samurai class at expense of others and they don't have Shiroe who notice that Landers are no longer NPC and the half point of RTC is to avoid conflict with Landers.
yulinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 20:46   Link #2854
Gimmesum

Quote:
I can relate to that somehow. I dont remember any mmo which has loan function, or even gave interest when player deposit the money. All if not most of them only have storage function as I recall...
Old 2014-06-28, 10:13   Link #2855
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Don't forget that this isn't applicable to just Minami. Plant Hwyaden also took over Nakasu in this fashion.

Considering that both Nureha and Indicus aim to conquer the entirety of Minami, their methods aren't terribly surprising. This makes me wonder if they discovered Real Food Preparation before Akiba, and if they did, why they concealed it. People from all over went to Akiba due to the rumors of tasty food (if I remember correctly), which means that it attracted a lot of attention. Had PH found it first, by revealing it, wouldn't they attract much more Adventurers?
The other possibility is that Indicus used Nureha and the promise of security as a carrot and the threat to put anyone that opposes them on the Cathedral blacklist as a stick to net the whole lot in. This method generally works well with people who are confused and frightened.

Once they're in and settled down, they'd be less receptive to any idea that'll disturb the peace, or rather, their peace of mind. Not to mention that the social structure under PH's control is one where they, the Adventurers, more or less stand to win. Selfishness and inertial then sets in and you'll have the group of sheep that now lives quietly under PH's thumb.

Signature by liro
Old 2014-06-28, 12:15   Link #2856
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
The other possibility is that Indicus used Nureha and the promise of security as a carrot and the threat to put anyone that opposes them on the Cathedral blacklist as a stick to net the whole lot in. This method generally works well with people who are confused and frightened.

Once they're in and settled down, they'd be less receptive to any idea that'll disturb the peace, or rather, their peace of mind. Not to mention that the social structure under PH's control is one where they, the Adventurers, more or less stand to win. Selfishness and inertial then sets in and you'll have the group of sheep that now lives quietly under PH's thumb.
came straight out of Vetinari's handbook on ruling like a tyrant.
Old 2014-06-28, 15:03   Link #2857
DQueenie13

Cuncator started translating some of Mamare's LogHora Wednesday posts. It seems as though Rayneshia's family is larger than we thought.

Also, my headcanon on Sarariya being talented at politics is actually canon.
Old 2014-06-28, 20:46   Link #2858
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Cuncator started translating some of Mamare's LogHora Wednesday posts. It seems as though Rayneshia's family is larger than we thought.

Also, my headcanon on Sarariya being talented at politics is actually canon.
Here I was wondering if someone could translate those articles and BAM! Wish granted!

A thousand blessings to the good person!

Signature by liro
Old 2014-06-29, 02:04   Link #2859
tsunade666

I just manage to read chapter 55 and 56. Question why is he translating the web version and not the novel version? If I remember it right. There was a bit difference between those two.

Both chapter are nice. Chapter 56 also shows that Shiroe's nature of being secretive backfire on him. Now the part when negotiating with William to join the raid battle and 3 consecutive boss battle.
Old 2014-06-29, 12:47   Link #2860
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

because he is doing chinese->english trans.

the chinese novel isn't out yet and there are some chinese translation of the web ver.

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers