AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-06, 20:56   Link #32101
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Japan pass the patriot act

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...ng-secrecy-law
Old 2013-12-06, 22:21   Link #32102
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Cuba drops veto at WTO meet, enabling global trade deal: sources
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B505220131207

French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B50UN20131206
Old 2013-12-08, 09:22   Link #32103
killer3000ad

HIV returns in two bone marrow transplant patients
Quote:
HIV has returned in two patients who doctors hoped had been cured of the virus following bone marrow transplants, the Boston researcher who treated them said Saturday.

The HIV virus became undetectable in both patients approximately eight months after the transplant. The men remained on antiretroviral therapy until the spring of 2013.

"The return of detectable levels of HIV in our patients is disappointing, but scientifically significant," Dr. Timothy Henrich, a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, said in a statement. "We have demonstrated HIV can be reduced to undetectable levels by very sensitive research assays and the virus persists."
Old 2013-12-08, 10:33   Link #32104
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Most unfortunate. But that's the case with many pathogens that just because we can't find them doesn't mean they are not there.
Old 2013-12-08, 11:08   Link #32105
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ukraine opposition rally keeps pressure on Yanukovich
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B60DH20131208

South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B703M20131208
Old 2013-12-08, 13:47   Link #32106
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Fatal accident sparks angry night riot in Singapore's Little India

Quote:
An estimated 400 people rioted in Little India late Sunday night after an accident with a bus led to one person's death, according to the police.

The riot saw ten officers injured, and damage to five police vehicles, one ambulance and several private vehicles, said police in a statement in the wee hours of the morning Monday. 27 subjects have reportedly been arrested, with police appealing for more information from eyewitnesses.

During the chaos that ensued, at least two police vehicles were overturned and an ambulance set on fire, which sent clouds of black smoke billowing across the night sky. In one shocking video, a man can be seen trying to smash a plastic dustbin against the windscreen of the bus that was involved in the accident.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs Teo Chee Hean said, "This is a serious incident which has resulted in injuries and damage to public property. The situation is now under control. Police will spare no efforts to apprehend the subjects involved in the riots."

The riot broke out after a fatal traffic accident occurred at 9:23 Sunday night between a private bus and a person at the junction of Race Course Road and Hampshire Road, police said.

To control the riot, police said they activated resources from Special Operations Command and Gurkha Contingent to the scene.

The Singapore Police Force tweeted at 11:47pm Sunday evening that a riot was ongoing at Race Course Road and Hempshire Road and that police are at the scene.

They advised the public to stay away from the area. Little India is a popular hangout and meeting place, especiall on Sunday night, with Singapore's sizeable workforce of foreign labourers from South Asia.

Photos showed an ambulance had been set on fire and police cars had been overturned by an angry mob.

Rioters were seen throwing bottles and other things at police officers.

The Straits Times reported that the rioting by mainly foreign workers started after a bus hit a Bangladeshi worker.

The riot raised concerns among people in Singapore about safety in the city state and how such incidents could be prevented.

On Yahoo Singapore's Facebook page, Ricky Woon commented: "This matter is under control but the underlying issues are not solve(d). If things continue to be this way and we are being complacent, when things happen again it could be our last chance to react. Will you guys want our country to be back to how it is and sleep in peace?"

News of the riot quickly spread on social media as well, triggering a flurry of tweets and posts about the turn of events in usually peaceful Singapore.
Twitter was bursting itself silly with comments, and this guy just won the internet :

Quote:
GTA Wanted Level for Little India was 3 Stars I think. No helicopter or tanks mobilized
And someone just highlighted something I can attest to :

Quote:
The roads in Little India are in utter chaos after 6pm on Sundays. It's almost impassable to traffic because the area is invaded by thousands of foreign workers who crisscross the roads with impunity and in every direction. It's a volatile and dangerous place waiting for trouble to happen and it did. So no surprise to me but the authorities were caught with their pants down in an area where the law of the jungle rules. Problem is it may not be the last. People, wake up and do something!!
We don't have enough enforcers to keep the FTs from randomly crossing the street, because they are so used to the fact that jaywalking is not criminalised in their countries, plus they jaywalk in hordes. Think it is about time we station a Bionix complete with a fully loaded Bushmaster to keep things in line.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-08, 15:16   Link #32107
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B703M20131208
Expect more moaning to come from Beijing soon. But, hey, at least someone has to reap what had been sowed.
Old 2013-12-08, 15:49   Link #32108
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Expect more moaning to come from Beijing soon. But, hey, at least someone has to reap what had been sowed.
It's silly of China to make so many enemies at the same time. South Korea is not in dispute with China and shares a common historical grudge against Japan. Koreans are very sensitive when it comes to their territorial claims. China is too overconfident of their growing economy and military strength, and soon they will overreach.
Old 2013-12-08, 16:15   Link #32109
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
South Korea is not in dispute with China
Koreans have more beef against China than it has against Japan. Only thing that makes Japan more public is the group of reactionaries who would not recognize the crimes of the colonial era.
Old 2013-12-08, 17:05   Link #32110
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Supposedly S. Korea had consulted with both Japan and China before announcing the expanded ADIZ, so whatever moaning from PRC would have to be done in secret, or they would look like a retard.

Anyway, I would say this is a really smart move from South Korea.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2013-12-08 at 17:51.
Old 2013-12-08, 19:50   Link #32111
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So apparently when I was asleep and out of the country, something very interesting happened...

Busloads of riot police respond to rioting mob in the heart of Little India

Our first riot in 40 years!
Old 2013-12-08, 20:02   Link #32112
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Fatal accident sparks angry night riot in Singapore's Little India

Twitter was bursting itself silly with comments, and this guy just won the internet :

And someone just highlighted something I can attest to :

We don't have enough enforcers to keep the FTs from randomly crossing the street, because they are so used to the fact that jaywalking is not criminalised in their countries, plus they jaywalk in hordes. Think it is about time we station a Bionix complete with a fully loaded Bushmaster to keep things in line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So apparently when I was asleep and out of the country, something very interesting happened...

Busloads of riot police respond to rioting mob in the heart of Little India

Our first riot in 40 years!
No surprise that someone was knocked down, the jaywalkers over there on weekends are crazy. I always try to avoid the area, especally on Sundays.
Old 2013-12-08, 22:18   Link #32113
Azuma Denton
~AD~

@JokerD @Saintess @C-kun
How bad is the accident?
Some say that it is very bad with the victim head seperated from the body.
Well, keep calm guys, don't let racism comments put the situation into worse condition. I still need to visit Singapore in the future.
Old 2013-12-09, 00:02   Link #32114
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
@JokerD @Saintess @C-kun
How bad is the accident?
Some say that it is very bad with the victim head seperated from the body.
Well, keep calm guys, don't let racism comments put the situation into worse condition. I still need to visit Singapore in the future.
Bus vs man. It is as ugly.

It is a pity they didn't call the SCE to bulldoze over them. Should be a good lesson to the jaywalkers there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-09, 00:14   Link #32115
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

I'm not a Singaporean, so may I ask why exactly did they riot? I only read that an Indian man was killed by a bus.
Old 2013-12-09, 00:39   Link #32116
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
I'm not a Singaporean, so may I ask why exactly did they riot? I only read that an Indian man was killed by a bus.
I'm not a Singaporean either, but I know that these sort of things usually not triggered by a pedestrian getting hit by a bus. I'm sure there are other social issues that are brewing behind the scene and was just waiting for a let out. Perhaps a Singaporean would care to enlighten us...?
Old 2013-12-09, 00:55   Link #32117
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

To be exact, it's not a local Singaporean Indian but a Bangla foreign worker.
Old 2013-12-09, 01:26   Link #32118
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bus vs man. It is as ugly.

It is a pity they didn't call the SCE to bulldoze over them. Should be a good lesson to the jaywalkers there.
And then escalate into full nation riot??
Watch out, you dont know how these desparate foreign worker gets.

Well, social issues. South asians foreign worker often gets treated badly by the official there, and added by some provocation, hoyla, a simple accident can turn for worse. CMIIW.
Old 2013-12-09, 01:44   Link #32119
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

What puzzles me is why they threw stuff at the SCDF(Singapore Civil Defence Force) people trying to rescue the person who got hit by the bus (apparently pronounced dead on site)... It's still early, and the news reports have been very vague on what caused the spark that led to the rioting.

Hopefully more details will emerge to give a clearer picture on what exactly happened.

On a side-note, pretty sad reading some of the racist comments in the social media.

Cheers.
Old 2013-12-09, 01:53   Link #32120
Azuma Denton
~AD~

On the neighbouring country of Singapore

Train crashes into tanker on Bintaro

People here need to be taught on staying clear on rail tracks when the road is jammed.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international