AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2009-09-24, 09:28   Link #2861
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Naw, don't worry bout that. We've all been reposting stuff over and over...

I'm just a bit tired of seeing it I guess... even though I did the same...

I'm trying to find some spoilers on various moonspeak pages, but so far no luck... *sigh*
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 16:17   Link #2862
Used Can

I think I can sympathise with the non-Athena fans. I've been reading this manga for quite a while too, and I've also been following the development for the other characters. I guess it must be vexing the fact their favourite characters (Maria, more than anyone else) are not getting enough development (well, I don't think Hina-fans can complain - I believe part of the time used on Hina could have been used on other heroines, like Maria or Izumi), and suddenly a new character shows up, and becomes even more central than the rest (well, apparently). Not only that, but it is this new character the own who kicks in the plot.

All the same, if Athena is to become an important character (assuming that's what Hata wants), then I guess this arc, and this much development is necessary to introduce her to the plot. Otherwise, it'll just feel as if she's just a random character with cameo appearances.

Someone said Hata shouldn't be doing always just what his fans want, and I agree, but what if Athena is something he did want to add to the story? She came out of nowhere, and there was no fan pressure that add her. Hata added her to the plot out of his own volition. So, if this is what he wanted to do, then I guess we should respect his decision.

And, seriously, once this arc is over the manga will go back to its usual pacing. Despite being different, this arc has been quite good. No, it's actually been really good. But I guess I can understand if some people don't like it, since they've been reading this manga for the slice-of-life bits and the love comedy.

Personally, I had stopped reading this manga (well, mainly because Musashi QUALITY were a liiiitle bit slow with their releases), but when for some circumstances I picked it up again during the End of the World arc, I became really hooked to it. I think I got really lucky when McDonald decided to translate that arc (even if the previous chapters hadn't been translated). After that, and perhaps by coincidence, FoOlRulez picked the manga up.

I think it's sad some people don't like this arc, but as someone said "to each his own."
Old 2009-09-24, 17:02   Link #2863
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think I can sympathise with the non-Athena fans. I've been reading this manga for quite a while too, and I've also been following the development for the other characters. I guess it must be vexing the fact their favourite characters (Maria, more than anyone else) are not getting enough development (well, I don't think Hina-fans can complain - I believe part of the time used on Hina could have been used on other heroines, like Maria or Izumi), and suddenly a new character shows up, and becomes even more central than the rest (well, apparently). Not only that, but it is this new character the own who kicks in the plot.

All the same, if Athena is to become an important character (assuming that's what Hata wants), then I guess this arc, and this much development is necessary to introduce her to the plot. Otherwise, it'll just feel as if she's just a random character with cameo appearances.

Someone said Hata shouldn't be doing always just what his fans want, and I agree, but what if Athena is something he did want to add to the story? She came out of nowhere, and there was no fan pressure that add her. Hata added her to the plot out of his own volition. So, if this is what he wanted to do, then I guess we should respect his decision.

And, seriously, once this arc is over the manga will go back to its usual pacing. Despite being different, this arc has been quite good. No, it's actually been really good. But I guess I can understand if some people don't like it, since they've been reading this manga for the slice-of-life bits and the love comedy.

Personally, I had stopped reading this manga (well, mainly because Musashi QUALITY were a liiiitle bit slow with their releases), but when for some circumstances I picked it up again during the End of the World arc, I became really hooked to it. I think I got really lucky when McDonald decided to translate that arc (even if the previous chapters hadn't been translated). After that, and perhaps by coincidence, FoOlRulez picked the manga up.

I think it's sad some people don't like this arc, but as someone said "to each his own."
For once, I truly agree. I couldn't have said it better myself (honestly).

I also picked up this manga again during tEoTW arc by chance and was just completely amazed by it.

Last edited by zodanhko; 2009-09-24 at 17:21.
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 17:26   Link #2864
GDB

I'd been reading it, following along the FoolRulez releases as they came out, but didn't actually start buying the volumes until I read End of the World. Granted, I'm not an Athena fan (in fact, don't really care for her), but she kicked the story up a couple of notches.

Also, the Segawa arc is pure love.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 18:46   Link #2865
Opace
~Lies evolves into Truth~

Send a message via MSN to Opace
Quote:

Well said. Just a question: When you said time could be spent on Maria and Izumi, did you mean Isumi? Although I reckon Izumi would be a part of Hayate's "harem" world, so would Isumi.

Also, the part about readers reading the Slice of Life/Romantic Comedy parts of Hayate no Gotoku. Although they do read Hayate no Gotoku for those things, most of them should realise that because it does have its roots in Romance couple with the fact Hayate is surrounded by girls [Heroines], it's natural to have Drama. You cannot have Romance without some drama, it'll be too "dry" and predictable then. Either Hata does it right, or he doesn't do it at all; an half-hearted attempt would just ruin it. Since its obvious he will do it, he has to do it right. But I do sympathise with non-Athena fans for their impatience/patience.

Just a general question to the current arc events: What made Athena so unfavourable to most of you? Is it because of the way she appeared, her personality, her draw on Hayate's personality etc. ?
Opace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 21:34   Link #2866
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Also, the Segawa arc is pure love.
Indeed, it is one of my favourites. I love Izumi to pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opace View Post
Well said. Just a question: When you said time could be spent on Maria and Izumi, did you mean Isumi? Although I reckon Izumi would be a part of Hayate's "harem" world, so would Isumi.
I was talking about Segawa Izumi. Although, I'd like to see more of Isumi as well.

Quote:
Also, the part about readers reading the Slice of Life/Romantic Comedy parts of Hayate no Gotoku. Although they do read Hayate no Gotoku for those things, most of them should realise that because it does have its roots in Romance couple with the fact Hayate is surrounded by girls [Heroines], it's natural to have Drama. You cannot have Romance without some drama, it'll be too "dry" and predictable then.
I don't think they are having problems with drama, but with the fact the story has got somewhat serious. They read this manga for a light-hearted development; so, I think it's understandable if they don't like these arcs.

Last edited by Used Can; 2009-09-24 at 22:04. Reason: Fixed the quotes
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 21:41   Link #2867
GDB

Quote:
Indeed, it is one of my favourites. I love Izumi to pieces.
Yeah, I've liked her to some extent ever since Hina's birthday, when she chased him around wanting to see what was under his cloak. That arc just sealed the <3.

Last edited by GDB; 2009-09-24 at 22:46.
Old 2009-09-24, 21:42   Link #2868
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

I have to say one thing Izumi's character did a whole 360 turn in terms of personality. When we were first introduced to her she seemed to be this dopey, happy go lucky girl who was comedically included as a baka ranger. Now suddenly she got this huge role as being a person who's met hayate during childhood and even kissed him and i've noticed of 3 girls in Izumi's group she's becoming more sensible and less silly then the other girls. This was a huge turn around as before she was as silly or more so then the other 2.
Old 2009-09-24, 21:59   Link #2869
GDB

Yeah, that seemed to happen when Hayate remembered Athena and cried in front of her. It's like a switch was flipped for her, or something.
Old 2009-09-24, 22:31   Link #2870
Used Can

Indeed, and even more so now that she seems to have realised Hayate was the kid she kissed back then (and to whom she promised to get married with, if I remember correctly).
Old 2009-09-24, 22:55   Link #2871
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

An Izumi x Hayate development would make up for this Athena arc ten-fold.

Hata needs to get on this ASAP.
qwertyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 23:05   Link #2872
Cinocard

A ridiculous, and a ridiculously good development for Izumi...
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 23:36   Link #2873
zodanhko
*ignoring*

I'd prefer a development for Maria. It would be must more interesting if Maria happens to fall for Hayate as well or realize her feelings if she already had them. Can't even imagine to think how she would act.
Old 2009-09-24, 23:40   Link #2874
Opace
~Lies evolves into Truth~

Send a message via MSN to Opace
Quote:
I don't think they are having problems with drama, but with the fact the story has got somewhat serious. They read this manga for a light-hearted development; so, I think it's understandable if they don't like these arcs.
Well, drama usually have serious connotations within it. And also, I wouldn't specifically call it development, it's been extremely slow once you put it in perspective. I think they enjoy Hayate no Gotoku for the light-hearted chapters filled with Slice of Life Comedy with maybe some Romantic Comedy in there.

Still, I don't like the Athena-disliking going around nowadays. I reckon she'll get a much better reception if not for the seriousness of the situation at the moment in Hayate no Gotoku.
Opace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 00:00   Link #2875
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
An Izumi x Hayate development would make up for this Athena arc ten-fold.

Hata needs to get on this ASAP.
Seconded, after all, she's the other girl Hayate has kissed (well, he got kissed by her, but who cares about details?).

Quote:
Still, I don't like the Athena-disliking going around nowadays.
You'll just have to cope with it like the rest of us, I guess.
Old 2009-09-25, 00:19   Link #2876
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Once season 3 starts (I hope soon), more of the disliking as well as the liking will occur.

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts...
Old 2009-09-25, 00:35   Link #2877
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Still, I don't like the Athena-disliking going around nowadays.
why would you? its only the same 3 users everytime (Mentar *representing the Hinagiku fanbase*, Primuler *representing the Maria fanbase*, and qwertyman *representing the Izumi fanbase*). Plus they keep the place active since the rest of the guys here always seem to clash ideals with them (mostly Mentar), plus without Primuler we wouldnt get our delicious spoilers, keep it up
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 01:06   Link #2878
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodanhko View Post
Once season 3 starts (I hope soon), more of the disliking as well as the liking will occur.

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, positive thoughts...
Actually, for some reason I believe the opposite. I think more people will get to like her once they get to know her.
Old 2009-09-25, 01:27   Link #2879
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Actually, for some reason I believe the opposite. I think more people will get to like her once they get to know her.
Hopefully, I'm wrong or believe in more liking than dislike. I think what apply to manga readers can easily apply to anime viewers since we all started knowing nothing about her. So if there is dislike and like here, there will be like and dislike there.
Old 2009-09-25, 01:35   Link #2880
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

i dont what ur talking about but im almost 100% certain athena will get pretty big in the HnG fanbase, every time I make someone read end of the world (they were anime watchers only) almost 80% of the time they instantly love Athena (many of them actually making them their new #1 for the series)....and im talking like 10+ people so far
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen