AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-10, 22:01   Link #1161
Shadow Kira01

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...d0NGgD9507KC80

I was somewhat concerned that suicide rates would significantly increase due to the current economic collapse. However, it seems that somewhere in Britain, the concept of suicide has become somewhat of a popular trend. First, a teenager commits suicide live online and now, a reality show displays assisted suicide on tv. Is this legal? Is this even appropriate?
Old 2008-12-10, 22:05   Link #1162
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...d0NGgD9507KC80

I was somewhat concerned that suicide rates would significantly increase due to the current economic collapse. However, it seems that somewhere in Britain, the concept of suicide has become somewhat of a popular trend. First, a teenager commits suicide live online and now, a reality show displays assisted suicide on tv. Is this legal? Is this even appropriate?
In some countries, yes. German-speaking countries, especially, as well as Holland. Some states in US too. You know, there's a research that says that there's a relation between time spent watching TV and being moody. I guess I know why now.

But still, isn't watching NICE BOAT worse? (you know what NICE BOAT refers to, right? )
Old 2008-12-11, 03:50   Link #1163
Shadow Kira01

No. What is NICE BOAT and what does it have anything to do with "suicide live"?
Old 2008-12-11, 03:52   Link #1164
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
No. What is NICE BOAT and what does it have anything to do with "suicide live"?
NICE BOAT

Still don't get the clue? School Days.
Old 2008-12-13, 09:46   Link #1165
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Don't equate assisted suicide with other forms of suicide. This isn't a show that follows a teenager as they grapple with emotional problems and contemplate suicide, but rather follows a terminally ill patient who would like to end his life rather than continue to suffer. Euthanasia ("good death" or assisted suicide) is a controversial topic, and I'd imagine that anti-euthanasia people are pairing up with the people who claim that anything shown on TV will instantly make people want to emulate it.
Old 2008-12-20, 07:33   Link #1166
Shadow Kira01

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/24fdb1ce-cd6...077b07658.html

The US will now adopt new credit card rules that help demote deceptive practices.
Old 2008-12-21, 19:22   Link #1167
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
However, it seems that somewhere in Britain, the concept of suicide has become somewhat of a popular trend. First, a teenager commits suicide live online and now, a reality show displays assisted suicide on tv. Is this legal? Is this even appropriate?
Apparently there are 1000 deaths by murder per year in Britain, and 6000 deaths by suicide. So, if we see someone chilling on the street, we can say "I'm 6 times more likely to kill myself, than you are to kill me!"
Additionally non-violent crime has dropped, while violent crime has risen. Great!
Old 2008-12-21, 21:18   Link #1168
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Apparently there are 1000 deaths by murder per year in Britain, and 6000 deaths by suicide. So, if we see someone chilling on the street, we can say "I'm 6 times more likely to kill myself, than you are to kill me!"
Additionally non-violent crime has dropped, while violent crime has risen. Great!
You are giving me the impression that there is definitely something wrong going on in Britain and that people who live there for long periods of time will grow depress to the point that committing suicide occurs more often than homicides. Speaking of the increase in violent crimes in Britain, is the tourism affected? Sounds like a very scary and dangeous place to visit.. ( -_-" )
Old 2008-12-21, 22:25   Link #1169
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
With the pound at an all time low, it's the cheapest occasion to come and visit.
I dunno what stats kakashi's basing that off, but britain (wales, scotland and england) is as dangerous as most countries, just take some street smarts with you to be safe.

As for London, 2008 has been a tragic year for stabbing deaths, esp for under 18 year olds. I think those deaths happen all the time, only this year, the media has targeted and reported as many as they can (especially within London) so it looks like a sudden rise of knife related murders.
Saying that minato, no matter where you are in life, if it's the wrong time and place, a person is doomed.
I've heard all kinda of scary tales about the New York subway, but i used it everyday for the week and a half while I was sightseeing and was fine *shrugs*
Just made sure to be alert around me.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-12-22, 20:20   Link #1170
Shadow Kira01

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/22/wo...ref=middleeast

So, this is what Bush's justice is all about? Over a simple shoe toss, the Iraqi journalist is now suffering 36 hours of continuous beating. How horrible..
Old 2008-12-22, 22:13   Link #1171
FateAnomaly

Well, he wanted to be a hero.
Old 2008-12-22, 22:28   Link #1172
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
You are giving me the impression that there is definitely something wrong going on in Britain and that people who live there for long periods of time will grow depress to the point that committing suicide occurs more often than homicides. Speaking of the increase in violent crimes in Britain, is the tourism affected? Sounds like a very scary and dangeous place to visit.. ( -_-" )
^^ Outside London and the Southeast, it is dangerous. Drunk British and Scottish people. Very dangerous. Go see the outside of a football stadium on a major EPL match, you'd know. In London and S-E, you have more clearheaded people.
Old 2008-12-22, 22:55   Link #1173
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
^^ Outside London and the Southeast, it is dangerous. Drunk British and Scottish people. Very dangerous. Go see the outside of a football stadium on a major EPL match, you'd know. In London and S-E, you have more clearheaded people.
I digress and merely point to my post to shadow about danger occurring anywhere.
Besides, have you ever been to the council estates of Portsmouth? You should try it sometime.
Drunk brits are everywhere, perhaps English are somewhat worse than the Scottish (tho the two top cities there are known for violence)
London is definitely no picnic either, so try not to exempt it like that.
And footy fans for most part are just rowdy and boisterous, alcohol doesn't even need to play a part if we're insulting the other team, that's just part of the game
Hooligans sadly exist and serve no purpose but to start fights and cause violence. Again, they are everywhere, organised and strike where ever they feel like.

@ Shadow
Not a simple shoe toss.
Quote:
Mr. Zaidi has not been formally charged, but he faces up to seven years in prison if convicted of the crime of aggression against a foreign leader during an official visit.
In midst of the laughs and flash games on the net and youtube videos, people have conveniently forgotten this oh so not so insignificant fact.
Until January, Bush holds the position of the leader of one of the most powerful nations on this planet.
His lack of intelligence, his hatred, his lame ass decisions, his attacks, the misery he's inflicted on others does not change this very very potent fact.
What he has done is lost absolute respect from most people where he's just a joke, but until January, he still represents the United States of America, and any attack at him or any other foreign leader would cause some serious backlash.
The torture aspect may be the doing of the locals there under their own laws, not necessarily a direct influence from the US government.
Who knows, but the man knew the risks he'd endure when he decided to attack another with a weapon.
(A knife is just knife when cutting vegetables. A hammer is just a hammer when hammering in nails. Once intent to physically harm another is applied with the item, it becomes a weapon. Same applies for the shoe)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-12-22, 22:58   Link #1174
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I digress and merely point to my post to shadow about danger occuring anywhere.
Besides, have you ever been to the council estates of Portsmouth? You should try it sometime.
Drunk brits are everywhere, perhaps english are somewhat worse than the scottish (tho the two top cities there are known for violence)
London is definitely no picnic either, so try not to exempt it like that.
And footy fans for most part are just rowdy and boisterous, alcohol doesn't even need to play a part if we're insulting the other team, that's just part of the game
Hooligans sadly exist and serve no purpose but to start fights and cause violence. Again, they are everywhere, organised and strike where ever they feel like.
^^ Is it? I didn't have anything like that happening in London, they were mainly in Manchester and Liverpool.
Old 2008-12-22, 23:24   Link #1175
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
With the pound at an all time low, it's the cheapest occasion to come and visit.
Nah, the pound has merely fallen to pre-Asian financial crisis (1997) levels. I should know. The sudden spike from 1997 onwards added more than 20% to my tuition fees and living expenses while I was studying in Britain.

That said, it does seem very attractive to visit the country now, but with my luck, by the time I have time to spare, the pound will probably have rebounded (like the greenback did when I visited the United States in October).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique
I've heard all kinda of scary tales about the New York subway, but i used it everyday for the week and a half while I was sightseeing and was fine *shrugs*
Just made sure to be alert around me.
Firsthand knowledge always help to dispel media-influenced opinions. I had my doubts about New York as well, but after visiting it, it's not half as bad as I thought it would be (although the subway is nowhere near as convenient as Ledgem thinks it is ). I spotted only two other Asians in Harlem as I walked down 125th Street, from Morningside towards Park Avenue, and while the neighbourhood looked decidedly rough, I didn't feel unsafe. (But I'll definitely avoid Harlem like the plague after sunset though.)

Quote:
Unless things have changed drastically in Britain in the past 10 years, I think such overreaction is hardly warranted. Like Mystique pointed out, hooliganism does exist throughout the country and not just London, but most sensible people stay at home during nights of big football games. And, in any case, most of the drinking (and slagging) takes place within pubs — if that's where you're watching a game, you're pretty much saying you don't mind such activity.

For the most part, violent crimes tend to happen in densely populated urban areas. However, Britain is far larger — and much more diverse — than London. In many parts of the country, take the Cotswolds or Wessex for example (ie, the rural areas), you'd hardly notice any "violence" or urban decay. At most, you'll need to avoid uttering jokes about inbreeding, otherwise almost anything else goes.

Touristy areas like the Lake District, Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford are pretty safe. Oxford, in particular, benefits from being a university town. Farther north, Liverpool and Manchester are rougher than York, but if you're a Beatles or football fan, you'd feel very much at home. As for Scotland, Glasgow is rougher than Edinburgh, but Glasgow is frankly no worse off than most northern cities that have suffered decades of crumbling industry.

*nostalgic sigh* Maybe it is indeed time to bring forward my plans to revisit Britain in 2010.
Old 2008-12-22, 23:28   Link #1176
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Nah, the pound has merely fallen to pre-Asian financial crisis (1997) levels. I should know. The sudden spike from 1997 onwards added more than 20% to my tuition fees and living expenses while I was at university in Britain.

That said, it does seem very attractive to visit the country now, but with my luck, by the time I have time to spare, the pound will probably have rebounded (like the greenback did when I visited the United States in October).
Gah, just go Down Under. I'm going to Perth on the 30th, if all turns out well. THe exchange rate was crazy recently, first time SGD was bigger than AUD. All those people who had changed SGD for AUD prolly are sitting on some nice paper profits now that AUD is rising again.
Old 2008-12-23, 00:06   Link #1177
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
@ Shadow
Not a simple shoe toss.

In midst of the laughs and flash games on the net and youtube videos, people have conveniently forgotten this oh so not so insignificant fact.
Until January, Bush holds the position of the leader of one of the most powerful nations on this planet.
His lack of intelligence, his hatred, his lame ass decisions, his attacks, the misery he's inflicted on others does not change this very very potent fact.
What he has done is lost absolute respect from most people where he's just a joke, but until January, he still represents the United States of America, and any attack at him or any other foreign leader would cause some serious backlash.
The torture aspect may be the doing of the locals there under their own laws, not necessarily a direct influence from the US government.
Who knows, but the man knew the risks he'd endure when he decided to attack another with a weapon.
(A knife is just knife when cutting vegetables. A hammer is just a hammer when hammering in nails. Once intent to physically harm another is applied with the item, it becomes a weapon. Same applies for the shoe)
Yes, you are right. Apparently, many people have thought that Obama is now the new leader, forgetting that Bush still has full authority. Although the Iraqi journalist has suddenly gain the status of a hero for the price of shoe tossing. I mean.. I know Iraq isn't a very safe place, but considering that he is a full-fledged member of the press, is it really okay for the Iraqi authorities to beat him up and get away with it. Not just getting away with it, the guy will be going to prison for a sentence between 5 to 15 years. Ouch!! In other words, all the protests and demands for his release are useless? This is just sad.. On the other hand, this teaches people not to toss a shoe at a foreign authority during their official visit in the future, because the consequences are actually very severe, regardless of the circumstances and reasons.
Old 2008-12-23, 00:36   Link #1178
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Words of wisdom.
Reflections by His Majesty the Emperor of Japan

The following is an excerpt of the statement from Emperor Akihito, released by the Imperial Household Agency on the occasion of his 75th birthday on Tuesday.

Quote:
Many countries in the world are now facing severe economic crises that have been triggered by the global financial crisis. I am concerned that in Japan, too, many people are facing hardship due to worsening economic conditions. I feel deeply for those people who want to work but have no opportunity to do so.

I sincerely hope that, by gathering together the people's wisdom that prevailed over various hardships in the past and by cherishing mutual ties and helping each other, everyone will work together to overcome these latest difficulties.

Very important indeed.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:13   Link #1179
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

The internet people say they're bisexual females, and that doesn't evoke the image of an overweight, solitary male to them?
Old 2008-12-24, 06:18   Link #1180
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

AV Legend Found Dead
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international