AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-17, 17:36   Link #181
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballad View Post
Direct linking to 4chan never works for long ; it's a dead link now.
MAL
Old 2010-10-17, 22:42   Link #182
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Congratulations Azu-Nyan

For winning Saimoe 2010!

Old 2010-10-18, 02:59   Link #183
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Just reminded me of this:
Old 2010-10-19, 10:20   Link #184
Pachael
原作通り

Still best nyan.
Old 2010-11-07, 11:01   Link #185
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Don't kill me for this, Azunyan fans:

What allowed Azunyan to win Saimoe 2010?

Sure, she's small and cuddly, I'll admit. My heart still melts every time I watch her and Azunyan-Mark2 yawn-together and the latter jumping in her lap and being petted. And Episode 9 of season 1 is still regularly played on my PSP to get the "Aww" feeling of her being hugged and having cat ears for the first time.

But the criteria of "Saimoe" is "cuteness" right?

If anything, Azunyan is an uptight and overly serious girl that is so eager to grow up that most of the time she can really come across as cold, crabby, grouchy, and much too mature to be truly "cute." Likable, yes. Small and Cuddly yes. Adorable.... maybe.

She is just too cold, mature and serious to come across as someone who would win a contest for being sweet, innocent and endearing.
Old 2010-11-07, 14:54   Link #186
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Sure, she's small and cuddly, I'll admit. My heart still melts every time I watch her and Azunyan-Mark2 yawn-together and the latter jumping in her lap and being petted. And Episode 9 of season 1 is still regularly played on my PSP to get the "Aww" feeling of her being hugged and having cat ears for the first time.

But the criteria of "Saimoe" is "cuteness" right?

If anything, Azunyan is an uptight and overly serious girl that is so eager to grow up that most of the time she can really come across as cold, crabby, grouchy, and much too mature to be truly "cute." Likable, yes. Small and Cuddly yes. Adorable.... maybe.

She is just too cold, mature and serious to come across as someone who would win a contest for being sweet, innocent and endearing.
The criteria for Saimoe is, well, moe. Now you can say that an inherent quality of moe is cuteness, but moe itself is a complicated term that has different meanings to different people. What I find moe, you may not necessarily view it that way. One man's trash is another man's treasure, they say.

Azusa's traits that you mention are the very traits that make me view her as moe. It's how she tries so hard to portray an image of maturity and seriousness but yet always succumbs to the band's antics and ends up dropping the facade. Yes, it's easy to label her as "cold, crabby, grouchy and much too mature", and I myself tend to hate the characters that are srs bsns all the time, but for Azusa, if you were to look beyond the veneer, you can see that deep inside she, just like the likes of Yui and Ritsu, is a typical teenager that wants nothing more than to have a fun time. The way she tries to manage between the two complete opposites of her image of maturity and the band's childishness is personally very endearing.
Old 2010-11-07, 20:23   Link #187
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post

Not a single one of these many contests use any sort of common sense in voting... its all about factions and flag waving, almost nationalist irrationalism in some ways. Taking them seriously will only give you a headache.

Besides, Azusa is as much moe as any other character -- don't confuse "moe" with "cuteness" ... the emotion "moe" is much more complex than the observation "she's cute".
Old 2010-11-07, 22:05   Link #188
Nerroth
NePoi!

Maybe people just wanted to be able to say 'Yes We Nyan!', perhaps?

By the way, we have clubs on AS for Mugi and Mio, but I haven't seen one yet for Azu-nyan... (unless I missed it or something.)
Old 2010-11-07, 22:55   Link #189
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not a single one of these many contests use any sort of common sense in voting... its all about factions and flag waving, almost nationalist irrationalism in some ways. Taking them seriously will only give you a headache.

Besides, Azusa is as much moe as any other character -- don't confuse "moe" with "cuteness" ... the emotion "moe" is much more complex than the observation "she's cute".
As others have said, moe isn't so much cuteness as it is a warm-ish feeling that the character evokes in the viewer - the feeling being a recognition of how deeply you care about the character. There's quite a few different ways to achieve it. One common way to do this is to have the character have such a warm personality that they give a pleasent feeling merely through being themselves. Another is to have the character struggle with something in a way that "makes your heart go out to them", so to speak.

Azusa tends towards the latter, in my opinion. She's a very serious person who has been thrown into a situation where she's essentially at the mercy of people who essentially do whatever the hell the want most of the time (Yui and Ritsu). The way she struggles with that isn't just cute, it's probably relateable to a lot of people who have been "the odd one out", so they really do feel for her. And as Zette points out, she also struggles with her own desire to loosen up. The fact she's a 150cm (4'11") Japanese schoolgirl who does her hair in twintails probably helps too.

The only surprise of her Saimoe run to me was that she survived facing off with Mikoto and Mio. Normally, when two characters from the same show end up facing off in a 3+ character matchup in Saimoe, they need to come from a show much more popular than the shows the other characters come from. And Mikoto has a huge following because she's a Railgun character. But Azusa squeaked past because the K-On! faction put the vast, vast majority of their weight behind her rather than Mio - I can only assume someone tried to coordinate the vote somehow.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-11-10, 11:52   Link #190
MatsuriSola

No one's celebrating Azusa's birthday here?

OTANJOUBI OMEDETOU AZUNYAN~~~
Old 2010-11-10, 14:26   Link #191
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Try saying meow!! Meow!!
Old 2010-11-10, 16:19   Link #192
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsuriSola View Post
No one's celebrating Azusa's birthday here?

OTANJOUBI OMEDETOU AZUNYAN~~~
In my defense it's still 8 hours away in my time zone and the only char's who I really remember is Hitagi/Kagami/Tsukusa since they have it on tanabata >.>.
MAL
Old 2010-11-10, 18:13   Link #193
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

IT'S AZUSA'S BIRTHDAY TODAY!! HAPI BASUDEI TO OUR BELOVED KONEKO-CHAN, THE SAIMOE WINNER OF 2010...NAKANO AZUSA!! XD

nyan nyan nyan nyan nyan...XD
Old 2010-11-10, 23:21   Link #194
Taufiq91

Happy birthday azusa!
Old 2010-11-11, 00:55   Link #195
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I need some Azunyan energy!! (Grabs)
Old 2010-11-11, 01:13   Link #196
Nerroth
NePoi!

Happy birthday, Azu-nyan!

Born on Remembrance Day, surprising.

Anyway, I went and set a group up, if anyone's interested.
Old 2010-11-11, 01:25   Link #197
MatsuriSola

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AZUNYAN~~~
Spoiler for OTAN OME~:

Spoiler for OTAN OME~:
Old 2010-11-11, 02:43   Link #198
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Happy Birthday Azu~nyan!!
MAL
Old 2010-11-11, 07:58   Link #199
Qikz