AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-22, 02:52   Link #201
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 03:15   Link #202
Zoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
I'm a 360 fanboy. Or was.

I'll explain my course of gaming so I can come across a bit better with my message. My gaming started with a SNES, which later went on to a PSX which I enjoyed a lot and a N64. After those I got a Gamecube and an xbox later on. Xbox won me over the PS2 (which I never bought), so I stuck with the 360 when the PS3 vs 360 war came on.

As the years dragged on (2006 buyer) I realized that XBL was a flawed closed system which severely limited me playing games I wanted. Besides it being a paid service... and PS3 offered the PSN and that "home" thingy which I found really... charming when hearing about it.

Games like MAG and Dust514 which could NOT be replicated on the 360 due to the closed system of the XBL which is not even all that good made me seriously reconsider my next choice.

But the PS4 announcement the other day completely made me go HNNNGGGGHHHH over it. I was just checking it out due to my gaming curiosity, but the PS4 has come out with a huge announcement and a lot of stuff which I'm still drooling over (using my tablet as another screen? win. Besides free interwebz)

TL;DR: This 360 fanboy finds himself being extremely attracted to the PS4. (despite the HORRIBLE controllers you PS guys have to deal with. Honestly they are extremely small, I have a few friends with PS and It's a complete nightmare to get adapted to it. Dualshock 4 doesn't look like it made any big improvements either)

*hands in his 360 fanboy credentials*

*takes out his gamer credentials*

Your move Microsoft. Make it count...

Arty
I actually prefer my controller to be small and light and possible. Thats probably why I loved the Snes controller a lot and also the PSX controller was easily adapted. Then the Sega Saturn controller was literally perfection for fighting games, I don't even know why Sega didn't stick with that design for the Dreamcast.

But then again I do have small hands, so perhaps thats the main reason why I never like XBOX controller much.

The controller to me feels almost perfect is the Wii U Pro Controller, it seems to take the best out of the 360 controller and the PSX controller in 1. Of course some people really hate the controller for being too light.
Zoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 03:46   Link #203
Westlo
Lets be reality

Ps4 did enough and they saved enough big stuff for e3.... also liking that it makes my vita purchase a lot better since it will be able to stream every ps4 game, something the Wii U can't even do.. (lol monster hunter)

Also sleep mode is awesome, one of the best things they could grab from handhelds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Holy cr@p this system is a monster! 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. I really hope the system is affordable...
Some of the "social" features are kind of off-putting to me. i hope those parts don't take up much system resources, so we can get really visually stunning looking solo games, like RPG, without coop gimmicks and that kind of thing
The thing you just praised should ease what you're worried about... after all it seems the NextBox needs 3gig out of it's 8 for it's OS/Kinect bullshit and GDDR5 is superior and I doubt Sony will need as much OS bloat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Just reading some news articles, Sony is already shooting itself in the foot if they don't fix things up- it appears to not be backwards compatible, or at least can't play PS3 games... as for PS2 or PS1, I haven't seen anything about those... yet

And if this isn't changed, if Sony adds this on top of not being able to play used games 9which again, nothing was said about )... Sony is going to alienate so many people that they might as well just go out of business
If you bothered to look at the specs for both systems it should've been obvious that it was never going to have BC, here's a shocker, nether will the next Xbox.

Also for all we know it can now bruteforce Ps2 games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
how long is this fuckin gif hhaaha
NeoGAF went insane with the Kaz gifs in the leadup to the Ps4 reveal... best one was the Asura Wrath one by demonite, gotta find it.. it's like a 15 meg gif, just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
"Not always online" is misleading. For one, it's up to developers.
Duh

If Bungie want to make a Online FPS like they do with Destiny it will be online required, but that's nothing new. Otherwise it's just going to be like it is now and to say otherwise is just pure scaremongering. You know like the it doesn't play used games, has no Bluray drive, games will cost $80 (oh wait Tretton just confirmed $0.99-$60) and all the other crap the gets spread around for various reasons. The no BC was the only legit thing and that was obvious in the first place.

Quote:
As for BC, no, not directly. Gaikai will supposedly stream old games to your PS4, but how big that library will be, how well it will play, the costs (do you have to rebuy? most likely) are all up in the air.
Of course they will, you expect them to open up their massive PSX/PS2/PS3/PSP library to people for nothing?

]quote]Expect a paywall too, like Live. You'll be able to get online, do multiplayer, and probably have some of the share features too. But to get the fancier stuff, expect heavy pushing to get customers to buy into PS+, or whatever they'll call it. Don't expect it to be the value it is now.[/quote]

Gaikai not being behind a paywall would be dumb as hell for Sony.

Quote:
As for the price point, the system is going to be 300 at a minimum, especially if it is launching this year. Those specs aren't cheap, even subsidized. Expect Sony to introduce, and MS to expand, contract based models to tempt people with poor financial judgement into long term monthly payments. 150 to buy the system, pay for years, company gets more than if you paid upfront. Upfront costs? I expect nothing less than 400, and more likely closer to 500. Sony can't afford to eat big losses on each console again, as the company is the brink of bankruptcy.

Also include the extra costs. Controllers and other accessories, the increased costs of games, etc. We're heading back to the era of 70 and 80 dollar gaming, sadly, for the big budget AAA stuff at least..
People were swearing the Vita was going to be $400 and than Sony launched it at $250. I still expect this to be $399, maybe $430 and only because of the increased ram from 4gig to 8gig unless Sony wants to wear that loss.

A $399 Ps4 is far better value than a $350 Wii U, lol @ that still selling at a lose because of a $180 controller.

As for games prices...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514952

As you can see they definitely plan to be selling more than likely Android games, which makes the touchpad inclusion make sense. (lol @ people thinking this is biting the Wii U, the Vita has rear touchpads, my laptop has a touchpad, if you want to talk about biting look at the Wii U Classic Controller compared to the 360...)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 07:02   Link #204
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
TL;DR: This 360 fanboy finds himself being extremely attracted to the PS4. (despite the HORRIBLE controllers you PS guys have to deal with. Honestly they are extremely small, I have a few friends with PS and It's a complete nightmare to get adapted to it. Dualshock 4 doesn't look like it made any big improvements either)
Years of fighting gaming made me hate the Xbox360's controller and nowaday I can't use anything else aside from the Dualshock (well, arcade stick is exceptional).

On the other news, seems like Sony don't even know what their PS4 will look like currently. I guess they still haven't decided on the final design yet.
Old 2013-02-22, 07:48   Link #205
Westlo
Lets be reality

360 dpad is horrible... you can thank Nintendo for that patent though... Vita dpad is awesome though it seems the ps4 is not using it sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
On the other news, seems like Sony don't even know what their PS4 will look like currently. I guess they still haven't decided on the final design yet.
It could still be 9 months off, it's not like the Wii U's initial reveal design didn't get changed....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 08:54   Link #206
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
despite the HORRIBLE controllers you PS guys have to deal with.
Sony's insistence to keep the left analog stick in the middle of the controller rather than switching it with the D-pad is mind-boggling. The Dualshock's design is nicely symmetrical in appearance, but it leads to unsymmetrical gameplay for your thumbs (since the majority of Playstation games use the left stick much more often than the D-pad). Both Nintendo and Microsoft have the left analog stick on the upper left side where it belongs, and Nintendo has been doing that since the 90's. I'm assuming that Sony favors consistence between console generations, so much that it comes to a fault in this area.

I've read of many people having sore thumbs due to this controller design, but thankfully I'm used to it.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 09:09   Link #207
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I guess I'm grateful for my medium-sized hands. They're big enough for the 360 controller but small enough for the dualshock controller. lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 12:10   Link #208
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I play a lot of FPS which requires the used of both stick, everything seems fine. Also MLG CoD players prefer convex design on their stick similar to what you find on a PS controller.

So I'm sure Sony knows what they're doing. It's not like they just designed this controller last year.
So they're catering to the games like FPSs that rely on frequent camera control coupled with R1/R2 use? I guess that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Of course if you want a more high end controller that's capable of swapping the Dpad with a left stick, someone will probably make it and sell it like this. madcatz ps3 controller
There's no need to wait for it to happen. There are many custom PS3 controllers that have that scheme already. And they're easy to get hold of if you have a Gamestop store near you. I'll buy one if I ever have the need to replace my Dualshock 3.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 12:39   Link #209
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
PC monitors have much higher dot pitch, but the key here is that you also sit much closer to your PC monitor than your TV. While I'd guess most people's eyes are around 2 ft. away from their monitor, I doubt many sits merely 2 feet in front of their TV.

The jump to 4k is also much higher than 720P to 1080P @ 3840 × 2160. While useful for 30"+ PC monitors for extra screen real-estate, for consumer TV it has no tangible benefits until you start going to screen size of over 80".
That's only because we're talking about screens! I'm talking about internal resolutions more specifically. That's how "HD Remakes" are made, they just up the internal resolution and "wow look at that all HD ". I can do the exact same thing in PCSX2...

Before 1080p became viable (and honestly, was rather unnecessary for most games), HD was something that everyone wanted... In PS2 era I'm pretty sure almost no one bothered with Component cables since such displays weren't exactly cheap. Then, everyone got hyped about TRUE HD and HD was pretty much very common.

As you said, 4K may not make a real difference but it WILL set a new stardard, since it seems that 1080p and 3D are very common.

You heard here first!

Last edited by Tong; 2013-02-22 at 15:22.
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 16:26   Link #210
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
There's a bit of great news here though: since the new ps4 is by all accounts just a decent current gaming pc ports will be amazing from now on.
No "decent current gaming pc" has 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM. Also, within a couple years PC gamers will complain again as PCs get more upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Not confirmed yet. But I honestly doubt it will be region locked. The Vita isn't. Why change now?
That doesn't mean much, considering that portable game consoles have historically been region free. Until the 3DS, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Nintendo remains quite strong with their BC, but all three really lack the ability to run old software like PC's can.
When it comes to running old software on PCs, there are always strings attached as it's not a standarised platform, so please don't compare it.
Old 2013-02-22, 16:30   Link #211
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The only true concern I have for the PS4 right now, other than potential price, is the lack of backwards compatibility and its replacement. On one hand, I'm fine with the whole "streaming" idea, assuming it works. On the other hand, it means those who have already bought the game for the PS3 will have to buy it all over again, and I don't think that's right.

I do think that if you don't have the game, yes you should pay for it. But I think there should be some method to get the access for free if you can prove you already bought the game. Is there something like that in effect that I'm unaware of (since I haven't got a PS3 due to its price and lack of a job, and thus unfamiliar with all of its functions)?
Old 2013-02-22, 16:39   Link #212
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Now that I think about it, Insta-pause has been around since the PSP!
Try Nintendo DS.
Quote:
Hope 4K resolution sets new standards for High Definition.
Let's all buy new TVs again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
The PS1 and PS2 were perfect when it came to balancing tech and sensible price for their time, so I'm not sure what happened this gen.
It looks like you already forgot about the insane price the PlayStation 2 had at launch.
Old 2013-02-22, 16:48   Link #213
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Bah, already have a HDTV for 720p and 1080p. I don't need to be going out and getting a UHDTV for 4K (and 8K) considering nothing uses those UHD resolutions yet.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 17:24   Link #214
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The only true concern I have for the PS4 right now, other than potential price, is the lack of backwards compatibility and its replacement. On one hand, I'm fine with the whole "streaming" idea, assuming it works. On the other hand, it means those who have already bought the game for the PS3 will have to buy it all over again, and I don't think that's right.

I do think that if you don't have the game, yes you should pay for it. But I think there should be some method to get the access for free if you can prove you already bought the game. Is there something like that in effect that I'm unaware of (since I haven't got a PS3 due to its price and lack of a job, and thus unfamiliar with all of its functions)?
You have PS3 games, but don't have a PS3? What?

And I don't think you understand backwards compatiblity. THE hardware is different enough the GAME MAKERS have to PORT it over if you want to run it. It's not that "sony doesn't allow you to play them" the thing just doesn't run it. It's like sticking a DVD in a USB drive.

This has been mentioned all over the place but basically just keep your damn PS3, perfect backwards compatibility. Also this move towards more "standard" hardware means all future console releases will be backwards compatible, and the console can also more easily mingle with the PC market (in theory).
Old 2013-02-22, 17:37   Link #215
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You have PS3 games, but don't have a PS3? What?

And I don't think you understand backwards compatiblity. THE hardware is different enough the GAME MAKERS have to PORT it over if you want to run it. It's not that "sony doesn't allow you to play them" the thing just doesn't run it. It's like sticking a DVD in a USB drive.

This has been mentioned all over the place but basically just keep your damn PS3, perfect backwards compatibility. Also this move towards more "standard" hardware means all future console releases will be backwards compatible, and the console can also more easily mingle with the PC market (in theory).
Lol, no, I have neither the games nor the console. I'm just thinking of others who would have such games. A lot of people trade in their machines to get some money towards the next console (personally I believe in keeping all consoles you've acquired; comes with starting off with an NES, I suppose). I wanted a PS3 but couldn't afford it (and still can't) and had been hoping if I got a PS4 I could use that for the PS3 games I had wanted to play.

I care little for the difference behind the lack of backwards compatibility. It still boils down to the fact that the older games won't work on it, correct?
Old 2013-02-22, 18:08   Link #216
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
No "decent current gaming pc" has 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM. Also, within a couple years PC gamers will complain again as PCs get more upgrades.
No... they usually have at least 8gb of DDR3 ram and 1gb of dedicated video ram (GDDR5).
Old 2013-02-22, 19:46   Link #217
Sides

Quote:
I care little for the difference behind the lack of backwards compatibility. It still boils down to the fact that the older games won't work on it, correct?
Yup, but it is highly likely to see FullHD remastered/remix versions of PS3 games in the future, just like we saw last gen.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 19:53   Link #218
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I was mostly underwhelmed at the reveal.

Ultimately, I'd only buy it if there were games on it I couldn't get on whatever the next Xbox is, but for the first time in a while, I'll likely only be buying one of these next-gen consoles, rather than both.

Though, objectively, I hardly play games on either my PS3 or Xbox. Most of the time spent on them is streaming videos from my pc to my tv, and I doubt either device is going to have much improvement in that regard (other than allowing more file formats, something I don't see either company doing ever, there's not much to improve anyways).

Never underestimate the draw of a game though. I bought a PS for FF 7. I bought a Wii for Xenoblade/Last Story. I bought a PSP for about three RPGs. Making, in an ironic sense, console games the most expensive games I've ever bought, when you factor in the hardware price, something people try to place on PC gaming. I have probably played about five games on my PS3. All games I couldn't play on my PC/Xbox or because I couldn't get my hand on an Xbox copy as quickly as I wanted.

I could certainly see myself buying a PS4 for some game that I just had to play, as the days of being able to rent these devices from the local Block Buster seem to be becoming a thing of the past.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 01:08   Link #219
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
That's only because we're talking about screens! I'm talking about internal resolutions more specifically. That's how "HD Remakes" are made, they just up the internal resolution and "wow look at that all HD ". I can do the exact same thing in PCSX2...
Screens and real world effectiveness is all that matters though. It does you no good if you upscale your game to 4K only to display it on a 1080P screen, as a matter of fact, it'd be detrimental as you'd incur substantial performance penalties since you have to process everything at a much higher resolution.

Quote:
True, but that's kinda like complaining a CD player can't play cassette tapes.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 07:22   Link #220
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

There's all this pushing of new stuff in consoles that makes me wonder if developers have lost sight of what consoles are wanted for in the first place. Of course, I can's speak for everyone, but what I'm interested for in a console is only three things: Is it region free, is it affordable, and what games can I play on it?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote