AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 24 18.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 21.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 31 23.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 9.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.26%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-26, 08:07   Link #181
Smithj

Quote:
didnt they start working of it months ago? iirc we had the special eps 1 by the end of december.
are you telling me they spend their entire time sitting with their thumb up their ass the months before and after this special eps?
i though they used their time to work on the whole serie in order to avoid episode like this one.
the quality of MF is still bazillion level above the regular anime but at this level of animation it sure is unexpected
It takes around 3 months for them to produce an episode if I remember correctly (take into account creating cels, CG animation, storyboard, script, voice acting, and sound effects). Yes, they often have a gap so they can stay ahead, but they need to organise their time properly. They probably thought they spent too long on episode 7 so they gave episode 8 to some other guys to do. Better to stay on the safe side then realise time has caught up to you and you have to throw out a recap episode to create more time.

Either way, I'm not really worried too much because it's back to normal.
Old 2008-05-26, 08:19   Link #182
SymphonicRain

Don't forget the backgrounds as well. Macross F's exterior backgrounds are easily one of the nice looking ones for a TV series. Such backgrounds don't take a week to complete them.
Old 2008-05-26, 08:21   Link #183
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You really think anime can be made in a few weeks?

It can take YEARS to plan an anime project. And to make sure everything they make is not outdated like DukeNukem Forever, the timetable is created to air each episode as close to the completion of the actual animation as possible.

Usually the anime studio only just barely make it in time for each episode, and even then they often couldn't finish the opening credits until one or two weeks after airing the debut episode. The worst case is when the screenplay wasn't even finalized, and they had to wing it.

This isn't about laziness, but general problems with any project in the world. Timetable is tight, and there is little wriggle room for emergencies.

I suppose you are confusing anime with Western habits of creating entire seasons of shows before the first episode even aired?
i m very well aware of the time involved in MF and i know how regular japanese anime work production (animation runner kuromi-chan briefed me fairly well a while back), for Macross anniversary i was hoping that they would have change the way they work, keeping the same way they produce episode as they do for the generic crappy anime (kanokon specialA gundhou-musashi naruto bleach etc etc ) kinda defeat the purpose of working years in advance and we end up with episode like this one.

like i said even if this eps felt low compared to the others this macross F eps is dominating everyother anime in term of animation, quality etc etc.
people get easely used to high quality
Old 2008-05-26, 08:22   Link #184
SymphonicRain

Lower your expectations. As we all can see, its not possible for Studio Nue to exceed or reach your level of expectations unfortunately.

An unfortunate truth.
Old 2008-05-26, 09:23   Link #185
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Satelight does the animation, not Studio Nue. Nue is the one that does the mechanical designs.

Bad animation? I was too busy laughing at Sheryl's antics to even notice. Come on, let's stop beating a dead horse. If you don't like the animation, just don't watch the episode or just drop the show completely if it makes you that pissed off. Don't like how they are doing the story? Drop the show. No one is forcing you to watch this 'shit', as how you would put it.
Old 2008-05-26, 09:37   Link #186
Kamille

I honestly found Episode 8 rather enjoyable and has a cute/funny animation, I don't mind it AT ALL, don't why people are complaining so much about it, it was a light hearted episode and everything went fine, I really want to know thou, is Kathy taking interest on Alto too now?
Old 2008-05-26, 10:18   Link #187
ReddyRedWolf

More like this guy likes to get into trouble when it comes to the Vajra.

1. Charging into the city and piloting a VF the first time during the Vajra attack.

2. Alto was at the same area where the second Vajra attack occured.

3. Trainning exercise a Vajra shows up and Alto blows it up in near suicide.

4. Going to the belly of the monster to save Luca.

Cathy may thought Alto had few loose screws and stupid the first time she met him.

But she can't deny the guy has potential talent.

She was about to recruit him into the mililitary.

Damn Ozma and his VF-25s! Snatch Alto from under Cathy's nose.

Besides Alto saw up close that mysterious foo fighter Valkyrie.

Foo fighter a mysterious flying object that is fast and eratic, making sharp turns, in flight.
Old 2008-05-26, 11:37   Link #188
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Finally got a chance to watch episode 8. Quite a change from episode 7 but this cooling down episode was to be expected. It really did turn into some wacky high school jinx episode. But its plan to see how they want to bring all the characters together in the same setting which makes sense at this point.

I honestly feel bad for Ranka first her carrot act at the beginning that made me go but she was doing her best. She really is a nice girl but you know what they say about nice people they get *&%@ on and thats what happen to her. From a business standpoint i can see why they would want to air Sheryl and not Ranka this time but that doesnt make it anymore fair. Ranka has what it takes to see this through and work hard for what she wants but it may take some encouragement from her friends especially the big breasted glasses girl she likes Ranka A LOT if you get my drift We have the sleazy and creepy commander who obviously hiding numerous points of interest about whats really going on and what Varja really are and now hes interested in Ranka. Seems like they are going to be a mark on her from now on. How long before they notice shes is being watched.

Sheryl who i cant help but to love was amusing this episode and of course she has to make Alto's life a living hell. But to me its like when you are grade school and pull the hair of the girl you like thats why Sheryl is doing. One of the worst things that could have happen was her finding out about Alto's nickname LMAO the Queen and Princess LMAO. But maybe next time she could try to keep from destroying the school over a set of panties However the ending scene made it worthwhile for me Alto and her flying with Alto carrying her just like when they first met. It was a nice scene and at this point i think Sheryl might need Alto more than Ranka does. Its almost like they are destined to switch roles Ranka becomes a star and Sheryl wants to be a normal girl.
Old 2008-05-26, 12:36   Link #189
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Just wanted to say WOW on the Gattai sub! Not only is it subbed like normal, it also contains GG's subs as well (with their permission) and a 2ndary sound track and loads of other bonuses.

snippet from the release notes
Quote:
Because the guys over at GG are so awesome, and their translator
doesn't have the absurd stylistic hangups ours has, we've received
approval to mux their subs into our release, in case you prefer them.

Take special note of the alternate audio tracks this week; in
addition to our romanized songs, Japanese-language songs, songless, and
special Zentradi subtitle tracks, there's an extra-special audio track
this week. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it.
Old 2008-05-26, 13:28   Link #190
KrebMarkt
Never do well

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Just wanted to say WOW on the Gattai sub! Not only is it subbed like normal, it also contains GG's subs as well (with their permission) and a 2ndary sound track and loads of other bonuses.

snippet from the release notes
+1
Gattai was very inspired this time

The alternate sound track is funny.
Old 2008-05-26, 14:52   Link #191
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

What a terrible episode. I'd much rather have had half an episode of recap or an abundance of static frames than this abomination of character design change. And the funny parts were totally not funny, it was more of a contest who can act like the biggest moron. Sheryl won it but Luca and Cathy put up a good fight, IMO.

Old 2008-05-26, 15:21   Link #192
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

... and this episode cements the 'anti-Leon' camp, I suspect, given the actions of the 'chief of staff' with regards to certain people he had on file. Also..

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-26, 15:36   Link #193
ReddyRedWolf

Mr. Viller appears to be normal for a Zentradi-Supervion Army War/Space War One veteran with cybernetics.

If we believe Elmo Kradanik that he was there during the final battle hearing Minmei and his hair color and mustash being the same as Viller, we are seeing two individuals from the same brood.

Though Elmo having Vrlithwai's last name I find it hard to believe they are from the same genetic clone batch.
Old 2008-05-26, 15:37   Link #194
manuloz

Too bad no one likes Shingo Suzuki style of drawing but well i can't see where is the bad animation.
I though with someone like Wao hanging around everyone would know about how the animation process works.
what i get from the comments is that the animation don't feel right, charater faces are all messed up and all ... So well the one to blame is the Animation Director, he is the one to correct the drawings of all key animators to put them on model. But that doesn't necessarily means the exact copy of what the chara designer came up but some sort of interpretation of it.

So don't balme budget, or time... i think it's too soon for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You really think anime can be made in a few weeks?

It can take YEARS to plan an anime project. And to make sure everything they make is not outdated like DukeNukem Forever, the timetable is created to air each episode as close to the completion of the actual animation as possible.

Usually the anime studio only just barely make it in time for each episode, and even then they often couldn't finish the opening credits until one or two weeks after airing the debut episode. The worst case is when the screenplay wasn't even finalized, and they had to wing it.

This isn't about laziness, but general problems with any project in the world. Timetable is tight, and there is little wriggle room for emergencies.

I suppose you are confusing anime with Western habits of creating entire seasons of shows before the first episode even aired?
Actually i think by January they had finished key animation work on episode 4 and maybe 5. Since as you might know there was a french animator on the first five episodes and he had to come back to France early january but before that he had to complete his work on episode 5.
And like Hiroyuki Yamaga said during Fanimecon when Gurren Lagann broadcast started they had already 7 episodes done. I think Macross Frontier might be close to that.
Old 2008-05-26, 17:24   Link #195
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I thought that eye-twitches were part of the default expression set for a tsundere? "Don't take it personally, this is actually my attempt at being pleasant."
Alto's a tsundere? Genearlly I'd say he's got a reason to be ticked off, not that it's his default mode of being. He had a much more normal aghast reaction to Sheryl popping up, when he had every reason in the world to take personally. Ranka though gets eye twitches?

Quote:
Either that, or maybe Alto just doesn't like to eat his vegetables. You don't make friends with salad.
Was that a vieled Simpson's reference?

Quote:
Either it's that, or it's because Sheryl isn't particularly good at driving from the backseat while watching holographic screens.
I think the smirk and the car speeding up is a good indicator of exactly what kind of entrance she wanted to make.

Quote:
More of a partial truth than a lie, I'd say. Sheryl gets the experience of going to school and getting the chance to cut loose and live like an ordinary high schooler should, and in exchange, the school gets the experience of the sheer mayham and commotion that only the Sheryl Nome could create.
She pulled some strings so she can continue stalking Alto. She always intented to enroll, but scoped out her new habitat while the paperwork was filed. That's my guess anyway. Campus be damned, what Sheryl wants, Sheryl gets.

Quote:
No tsundere is complete without a good deal of teasing.
Are you kidding? Most of the Tsunderes I know off the top of my head abuse their friends/love interests, and never take shit from anyone.

Quote:
Sheryl already knew that Alto had lost it before the episode started. As such, we don't know how Sheryl took the news, since that event would have had to have taken place offscreen.

But now that you mention it, what Sheryl did was quite impressive. We know from the earlier episodes how important the earring actually is to her, given that her frantic urge to find it started off well before she even knew who Alto was. It would have been quite easy for her to burden Alto with the responsibility of having lost something irreplacable to her; but instead she simply gives Alto a set of rather simple tasks that allow Alto to resolve his feelings of guilt, before making a deal to call it even at the very end of the episode.

It also suggests they're each starting to grasp some of the nuances of the other's character; given Alto's earlier monologues expressing his desire for self-reliance and his resentment at being saved by his fellow pilots, I doubt he would have ever accepted an attempt from Sheryl to forgive him directly. Sheryl's playacting, likewise, only works because she knows that he has some guilt over losing it to begin with.
Sheryl/Alto moments are far too orchestrated, if very entertaining, and it's the Earring's fault. I hope we never see any mention of it again, else I'll never be able to take Sheryl's character seriously.

Quote:
It's nice to see that Alto has it in him to still throw Sheryl off balance from time to time, though.
What do you mean? Alto never has the advantage.

Quote:
I always wondered why people bothered to argue about the earring to begin with. Even if you completely and utterly obliterate all traces of the symbol, it doesn't really influence the relationship that it represents. Aside from the fact that you'll no longer have him grinning at the thing in his cockpit, of course.
Thank goodness for small favors. I still wish they'd never been important (to the storyline) to begin with.

Quote:
Belief forms the core of Sheryl's strength as a character. The reason that she's able to throw herself completely (to the point of recklessness) into everything that she does is only because she believes in herself; she has no family whatsoever to fall back on, and her star status isolates her from easily making friendships the way that Alto and Ranka can. While it's unclear why exactly Galaxy is so important to Sheryl, seeing as Alto stopped her just before she was about to give an explanation in episode six, I do get the feeling that this may be an Achilles' heel, of sorts. There's bound to be a time when belief alone can't suffice; that's where having the support from the people close to you counts the most.
Yes, we know Sheryl's the picture of confidence. If she wasn't so fun to watch, I'd want to see her broken and ruined.

Quote:
Just for that, Frontier is going to transform into a giant earring during the final battle.
Ouch. That'd be twice the hurt, on account of the transforming and the result.

Quote:
Nanase is also a girl with a crush on Alto herself. Even good friends have goals of their own; few people see themselves as merely a "supporting character" in someone else's life.
What crush? I know I suck at picking these things up, but come on, where's there been even an inkling of that seen anywhere, aside from being a girl who just so happens to know Alto?

Quote:
I think that Sheryl diffused that situation rather admirably. It's easy enough to respond to someone who is hostile towards you from the outset by responding in kind. Instead, Sheryl injects a bit of humor to diffuse the tension, while simultaniously paying Nanase a compliment on the side. That's the sort of charisma that makes your enemies your friends.
Underhandiedly you mean. Nanase made some good points, especially about Sheryl's treatment of Alto, while Sheryl completely deflects it by accusing Nanase of having feelings for him.

Quote:
Mind you, Sheryl still has an uphill battle ahead of her; from what I noticed, Nanase was not the only girl who was less than thrilled by all attention that Sheryl drew to herself.
Oh great. Nanase is now simply jealous of Sheryl.

Quote:
Actually, they just want to know what the lyrics to Sheryl's next song are.
Gold.

Quote:
I like archetypes too. It's somewhat unfortunate that Super Artist is also the one giving Struggling Performer the inspiration she needs to succeed, as it makes the 'vs.' part a bit more difficult.

It's a marvelous PR battle, though. There's so much potential for spin depending on whether you want to portray Sheryl as Ranka's opponent or her ally. Celebrities are inherantly evil, especially when they dare cross swords with the everyman. The burden of proof is on Sheryl to show herself to be otherwise; we're much less inclined to be tolerent of her mistakes than we are of the ones made by the small town girl with big dreams.

This should be fun.

I wonder if Sheryl's offer was a test, seeing as she was expecting Ranka's response. Even with Alto, she first tests him during the date before she begins to open up to him.
I think the positive inspiration part is over. Sheryl is simply in the way at this point.
Old 2008-05-26, 21:42   Link #196
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

wew I personaly choose Ranka Over Sherrly

1. She's Quarter Zetrandi. Which is make her have a long life expectation (my Speculation).

2. I think Her Voice is Better Than Sherrly (Ranka is Sara Type and Sherryl is Minmay Type)

3. Having Job in Restaurant makes me think that Maybe She can Cook (the important thing for a wife) Sherry I doubt
Old 2008-05-26, 21:45   Link #197
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
What crush? I know I suck at picking these things up, but come on, where's there been even an inkling of that seen anywhere, aside from being a girl who just so happens to know Alto?
Nanase was staring at Alto when he was pondering at the window.

Not to mention the relationship chart.

As I said the girls attracted at Alto has yuri tendencies. Sheryl, Ranka and Nanase.

Damn pretty playing hard to get pretty boy.
Old 2008-05-26, 23:21   Link #198
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Alto's a tsundere? Genearlly I'd say he's got a reason to be ticked off, not that it's his default mode of being. He had a much more normal aghast reaction to Sheryl popping up, when he had every reason in the world to take personally. Ranka though gets eye twitches?
Well, I suppose that I really ought to write a less flippant response on this point.

The reason that I describe Alto as tsundere is because while he generally comes off as standoffish, he really does care inside. I don't think that he really actually dislikes either girl, given the encouragement that he gives Ranka after she loses the Miss Macross contest, or the fact that he's quite bothered by seeing Sheryl look so down when she hears that Galaxy is under attack. But he hides away that side of himself unless its really needed. His tsun is just a front that he puts on.

You're right about the fact that Alto's expressions seem flipped, though. But then again, he had a similar expression on his face when Sheryl first showed up on campus ("W-Why are you here?") so perhaps there wasn't a mistake. Weird.

Let me run through the first eight episodes again. Perhaps there's something that I missed out on in how he interacts with each of them.

Quote:
Was that a vieled Simpson's reference?
I don't think that it was really veiled. Either way... not everyone loves ninjin, yeah?

Quote:
I think the smirk and the car speeding up is a good indicator of exactly what kind of entrance she wanted to make.
It's hard to pin down which smirk you're referring to, since there are so many.

She initially grins when she notes that the academy is interesting and the car seems to accelerate, but that's while they're still on the road, a while before the car appears on campus. The second smirk takes place a few moments after the car after she's spotted Alto, although the predatory element of that glance seems entirely directed towards Alto, rather than anyone else.

There's no shot of Sheryl in between those two moments, since they cut to Alto and company in between. I'd be inclined to believe that theory if there was a shot at some point of her standing on the roof yelling "Full speed ahead!" (which, oddly enough, is something that I could very much picture her doing ) but as it is, we can't reach that conclusion without assuming the worst of Sheryl to begin with.

That being said, I suppose the scene in part was meant to highlight Sheryl's carelessness; she seems to leave most of the details of what she does in the hands of her employees. With regards to Ranka's television program, for example, Sheryl might have been in a better position to help with Ranka's problems had she been more aware of when and how her own show was airing. She seems to unknowingly step on people's toes from time to time, even though her own intentions are the very best.

But keep in mind that this last quality is merely the flipside to how refreshingly blunt Sheryl can be. It's interesting to note, though, that just as Ranka could stand to be much more successful were she to spend less time second guessing herself and were she to simply listen to her heart like Sheryl does, Sheryl too could be much more successful in building friendships were she to become slightly more cautious about accidentally provoking people's ire, following Ranka's example. But I expect that change will only come about through continued interaction between the two characters.

Quote:
She pulled some strings so she can continue stalking Alto. She always intented to enroll, but scoped out her new habitat while the paperwork was filed. That's my guess anyway. Campus be damned, what Sheryl wants, Sheryl gets.
Sheryl's not quite so good at planning. Generally, this principle applies to anyone who jumps off a roof to catch something before determining their next course of action.

Remember, Sheryl didn't realize how fun flying could be until Alto took her up that first time, and even her request to try it out was very much a spur of the moment thing: "Let's see... that?" I don't think that she knew what she wanted until she actually took that flight with him.

Quote:
Are you kidding? Most of the Tsunderes I know off the top of my head abuse their friends/love interests, and never take shit from anyone.
Well, a tsundere can only be tsun only so far as they are in control of their emotions. As such, in moments of comedy, the tsundere tends to act as the foil/feed in any double act (by virtue of taking themselves and the rest of the world too seriously). Alto's done a fair bit of this already.

Keep in mind that while the definition of "tsundere" is really quite broad, you can't have a tsundere who is exclusively tsun. As such, a tsundere will always have holes in his/her armor that can be easily exploited for comical purposes, should the occasion arise.

Quote:
Sheryl/Alto moments are far too orchestrated, if very entertaining, and it's the Earring's fault. I hope we never see any mention of it again, else I'll never be able to take Sheryl's character seriously.
The problem, though, is that Right Earring never did anything wrong. While Left Earring caused all sorts of chaos before going MIA in war, Right Earring stayed at home very patiently, waiting for the moment that they would be reunited. I can understand that Left Earring made some bad decisions, but that doesn't mean that their love story needs to end in tragedy!

There are many things in this series that are very orchestrated, ninjin included. But it seems to me that the real charm of this series is character, moreso than plot. So I for one don't mind letting it slide.

Quote:
What do you mean? Alto never has the advantage.
It may be rare, but it does happen. Some notable examples include when Alto tells Sheryl that he's got a place that he wants to show her (the Zentradi mall) during episode five, or when Alto tells her off for being too graphic, near the end of this episode. It's rare for Sheryl to lose her momentum, especially when you compare it with how she handled both Nanase and Mikhail in this episode without even skipping a beat.

That being said, I don't think Alto knows how he pulls it off, yet. But he's paying attention enough to catch little things about her character, such as her love for novelty, so I'm sure that things will balance out between them soon enough.

Quote:
Thank goodness for small favors. I still wish they'd never been important (to the storyline) to begin with.
Well, it does go hand in hand with the whole "mysterious heritage" routine. It's kind of similar to coming from a special bloodline or going from zero to hero after discovering the latent powers buried deep inside of you. At the end of the day, it's still entirely up to the characters to make these tropes work.

Quote:
Yes, we know Sheryl's the picture of confidence. If she wasn't so fun to watch, I'd want to see her broken and ruined.
She's already ruined for marriage, or so I hear. Alto must take responsibility.

Quote:
It's all in her reaction to Sheryl's question in the washroom. She wouldn't have started blushing and stammering had Sheryl not have hit home. Surprisingly, Nanase had a much bigger reaction than even Ranka did when Mikhail asked her the same question while the RFC was eavesdropping. There's also the fact that Nanase is the first one over to listen in.

Quote:
Underhandiedly you mean. Nanase made some good points, especially about Sheryl's treatment of Alto, while Sheryl completely deflects it by accusing Nanase of having feelings for him.
Well, I'm not so sure about that. Playful banter adds a lot of fun to any relationship. Alto is rather introverted by nature, and the way in which Sheryl teases him and drags him around really pulls him out of his shell.

I think that Sheryl was right to deflect it. Getting into an argument with Nanase would simply reinforce the negative impression that Nanase has of Sheryl. It also places Ranka in a rather awkward position.

There's nothing really underhanded about what she did. It's all part of being charming.

Quote:
Oh great. Nanase is now simply jealous of Sheryl.
Jealous isn't the right word. That careless behavior that I mentioned earlier has a tendancy to rub some people the wrong way, especially when combined with the stigmas associated with her star status. Until they see that Sheryl really is good natured at heart, there's bound to be some hostility towards her. But they have to give her a chance first, before they can begin to see that side of her.

Quote:
I think the positive inspiration part is over. Sheryl is simply in the way at this point.
Not deliberately, though. While I can agree that had Sheryl had a more active involvement in the management of her shows, she might have been able to help Ranka out, I don't think that's the real problem here.

They're both in a competitive industry. Even though they are friends, I don't think that either would want to recieve a concession from the other. Is Sheryl supposed to cancel her shows and concerts so that she can lower herself to Ranka's level, or should Ranka develop the confidence and the work ethic to build herself up to Sheryl's level?

While Leon's interference provides an additional obstacle for Ranka to overcome, there's nothing to say that she can't shine in spite of it. At least part of the problem comes from the fact that, as Ranka says in episode 2, she wishes that she could be like Sheryl. Even the "Will you listen to my song?" at the start of Aimo in this episode carries a hint of that. As long as Ranka seeks stardom just to be like Sheryl, at best she'll only become Sheryl's shadow. She's going to have to be Ranka Lee first and foremost if she wants to enjoy the same level of success.

The other issue is her work ethic. I understand that it's tough being a singing carrot, but it still is a job and as such nothing to look down upon. If you only throw your heart and soul into your work when you've got an exciting gig, then you aren't going to get those chances to begin with. That's why Mikhail makes such a big deal of "Singing when there's nobody there to listen," in episode five. By now, there's probably nothing particularily novel or exciting about doing a new concert, but she still throws herself into it, heart and soul; anything less wouldn't do her fans justice. That's also why she stubbornly refuses to cancel her concerts, even though it's easy enough for her to do so when she isn't in the mood. That's the sign of a strong work ethic.

This is the best time for Ranka to explore why she wants to get into the industry. Write songs: singing isn't merely about raw vocal talent, it's about your ideas and how you express them. She won't have as much time for this sort of growth after she becomes famous.

I'm hoping that Ranka starts to internalize some of these things before fate (i.e. the storyboards) conspires to elevate her status. If she undergoes that sort of character growth, then even a million Leons (+ 1 dog) wouldn't be able to stop her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
2. I think Her Voice is Better Than Sherrly (Ranka is Sara Type and Sherryl is Minmay Type)
That's just a consequence of singing a cappella; you're naturally going to hear a more pure sound than you would when there are blaring instruments in the background. The choice of song is important as well; phonetically, I think that Aimo is slightly more suited to that classical style of singing than are some of the more poppish songs that we hear. It kinda reminds me of Latin.

I'm not sure if May'n was the one who was singing at the end of episode two, but it's much more fair to make a sort of comparison based on that scene, since they both sing the same song a capella. While I do suspect that Ranka was deliberately supposed to have a more shy quality about her than Sheryl, I did feel that Sheryl's delivery was much more powerful in that scene.
Old 2008-05-27, 07:52   Link #199
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Spoiler:

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Old 2008-05-27, 08:58   Link #200
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Spoiler:
Nanase didn't know about that.

As an aside, Ranka's situation is still extremely positive. Even if the variety show itself was shuffled, the producer still thought highly of her. That means that she's got a door open for similar jobs in the future: no small step. Program shuffling happens whenever there's ongoing coverage of a major event. It doesn't matter whether it's breaking news on Sheryl's stay on Frontier or breaking news on the battle for Galaxy; with a little patience, Ranka will get her own shot at screentime. Or at least, Leon's meddling will have to occur enough times for someone to become suspicious.

It's not her first TV appearance either, due to her debut in Miss Macross (which does give her a lot of public exposure). I think that disappointment has less of to do with the loss of a "instantanious leap to stardom" kind of break so much as the fact that it's closer to what she envisioned herself doing than the carrot gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Spoiler:
Ranka definitely has talent, as Sheryl points out. It's more to do with how she uses it.

The catalyst for that song in the mall was Alto's paper airplane. Really speaking, she didn't answer Mikhail's challenge (to sing when nobody is watching her). With Alto frequently away on sorties, Ranka is going to need to develop the courage to sing even when he isn't around to provide support. That's the reason why she didn't capture everyone's attention the second time around. The day Ranka finds that inner strength, carrots will go out of stock.

(Oh, and you can drop the spoiler tags if you want.)
Closed Thread

Tags
high school