AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 10:14   Link #281
lilmisscoopie
I'm new so be nice :)

The first time I ever heard of FullMetal Alchemist was when I was randomly clicking on Youtube. I didn't already watch anime (apart from maybe Pokemon once a blue moon for nostalgia!), so I wasn't really into it.

I stumbled upon a clip of the Conqueror of Shamballa which showed the bit when Ed, Al and Roy are attacking the evil woman who was flying about in her ship. I just remember Ed creating a crack between him and Roy and Al, with Roy holding Al back and Al yelling something like "but I just got you back!". I didn't know the characters, or the story, or anything at all actually about FMA, but I cried! Ever since then I've been hooked Just wanted to share that story with you

I think there were certainly lots of heart-wrenching moments in both the anime series and the film, and I was quite gutted when it turned out Winry couldn't go with them. Having said that, I did really enjoy the film - it was amazing!

One thing has got me really stumped though, and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Spoiler for fma movie:
lilmisscoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-22, 10:18   Link #282
lilmisscoopie

Hang on a sec, I thought Izumi died because of what happened to her when she attempted a human transmutation on her baby? I don't think it was TB because she wasn't coughing all the time like Al (in the other world) was; it only happened when she was under stress. The doctor said he didn't know how she had survived for the amount of time she had, and he was talking about the fact that she only had half her organs.
Old 2007-07-22, 19:43   Link #283
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisscoopie View Post
Hang on a sec, I thought Izumi died because of what happened to her when she attempted a human transmutation on her baby? I don't think it was TB because she wasn't coughing all the time like Al (in the other world) was; it only happened when she was under stress. The doctor said he didn't know how she had survived for the amount of time she had, and he was talking about the fact that she only had half her organs.
No. She just had a disease. Simple as that. After all, her husband (don't recall his name) was always reminding her to take her medicine. She had the same disease as the Alphonse from the alternate world, only he ended up being shot to death, instead of succumbing to the disease like a lot of people probably expected him to.

Although it is never directly stated (probably for purposes of mystery, or that the characters didn't have either a name nor a cure for the disease), it is highly speculated that her sickness was tuberculosis. The most obvious of her symptoms was her bloody cough. Also note that over half of all TB victims die.

I still find it weird that their medical technology was advanced as creating automail limbs, but not advanced enough to effectively treat/cure tuberculosis.
Old 2007-07-22, 19:49   Link #284
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
One thing has got me really stumped though, and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Spoiler for fma movie:
Spoiler for Reply to FMA movie:
Old 2007-07-23, 15:47   Link #285
EphiamOricuna
Serpeant Of Lore

The movie was great, IMO. The only part in which irked me was that the fight with Dietlinde Eckhart was so short. She just stood there while the soldiers just came at her, doing nothing. I dunno, I was just expcting something more "epic".

(My spoiler tags are not working. This is irritating me.)
EphiamOricuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 15:15   Link #286
Black_Rose
Black_Rose

I really dont recall seeing the movie i dont even knoe what happened to the becoming of ED after the last episode...Ive got to rent it(giggles)(giggles)...
Black_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:45   Link #287
Zeran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Spoiler for Reply to FMA movie:
Spoiler for confirmation of reply:

i watched the movie and the anime series but i heard rumours flying around that the manga still continued any one know if there is any truth to this.

Thanks alot in adavanced.

I did like the movie alot epthiam but...
Spoiler for :
Zeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 13:56   Link #288
lilmisscoopie

Ah I didn't know Izumi's husband mentioned her medicine - thanks for clearing that up! Oh and Envy is definitely Hohenheim's son - or the homunculus created from his son if you want to get technical.
Spoiler for fma movie:
Old 2007-09-07, 22:23   Link #289
pirateking628
Organization 13
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to pirateking628
yea, the manga branches off at some point (sorry, i don't know when, i haven't gotten there myself.) Also, did anyone hear anything about a second movie, i need more full metal alchemist, the first movie should of had a better ending.
pirateking628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-10, 00:26   Link #290
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Ah I didn't know Izumi's husband mentioned her medicine - thanks for clearing that up! Oh and Envy is definitely Hohenheim's son - or the homunculus created from his son if you want to get technical.
Spoiler for fma movie:
Ah, good point. I see how that would be. Makes sense, given Envy's character.
Old 2007-09-27, 05:40   Link #291
Rokime
Sexy Member (HAHA i wish)

Send a message via MSN to Rokime
can someone please tell me where does the movie fit into the series i just ordered the whole 51eps and the movie on dvd from america and i was wondering when do i watch the movie? at the end of the series or between a volume when?
thanks for you help
Rokime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 11:52   Link #292
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokime View Post
can someone please tell me where does the movie fit into the series i just ordered the whole 51eps and the movie on dvd from america and i was wondering when do i watch the movie? at the end of the series or between a volume when?
thanks for you help
Don't watch it until the VERY end of the series, when you've wached all 51 episodes. Trust me.
Old 2007-09-30, 00:05   Link #293
Rokime
Sexy Member (HAHA i wish)

Send a message via MSN to Rokime
Quote:
Don't watch it until the VERY end of the series, when you've wached all 51 episodes. Trust me.
Ok thanks alot
Rokime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 23:58   Link #294
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No. She just had a disease. Simple as that. After all, her husband (don't recall his name) was always reminding her to take her medicine. She had the same disease as the Alphonse from the alternate world, only he ended up being shot to death, instead of succumbing to the disease like a lot of people probably expected him to.

Although it is never directly stated (probably for purposes of mystery, or that the characters didn't have either a name nor a cure for the disease), it is highly speculated that her sickness was tuberculosis. The most obvious of her symptoms was her bloody cough. Also note that over half of all TB victims die.

I still find it weird that their medical technology was advanced as creating automail limbs, but not advanced enough to effectively treat/cure tuberculosis.
I don't mean to tickle at this issue even more, but I highly disagree that she had tuberculosis. If that is the case, then why did the bloody cough first appear after she tried transmuting her baby? And why does it only appear whenever she does alchemy? The doctor did say something about her missing half her organs and the medicine is probably IMO to stem her constant pain. Tuberculosis wouldn't just suddenly hit her like that after transmuting the baby. And I don't recall any time her condition being referred to as any sort of illness/sickness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumi_Curtis
http://www.absoluteanime.com/fullmet...mist/izumi.htm
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Izumi+Curtis

None of these state her as having a 'sickness' but rather as just missing her reproductive organs, causing her to cough up blood at moments. What do you think?

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb

Last edited by Marina; 2007-10-08 at 00:37.
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:16   Link #295
legles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
I don't mean to tickle at this issue even more, but I highly disagree that she had tuberculosis. If that is the case, then why did the bloody cough first appear after she tried transmuting her baby? And why does it only appear whenever she does alchemy? The doctor did say something about her missing half her organs and the medicine is probably IMO to stem her constant pain. Tuberculosis wouldn't just suddenly hit her like that after transmuting the baby. And I don't recall any time her condition being referred to as any sort of illness/sickness.

None of these state her as having a 'sickness' but rather as just missing her reproductive organs, causing her to cough up blood at moments. What do you think?

I have told people before and i will do it again my spelling suxs

Spoiler for FMA anime and possible movie:
legles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 02:42   Link #296
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post

Yeah, I realized later that I had made a huge mistake. I just didn't bother to post because it was a bit embarrassing and I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I realized all this when watched the pertinant episodes again. Please forgive me. I seem to have a poor memory.

Turns out her illness was due to, as you mentioned, organs missing due to her failed human transmutation. However, it wasn't just reproductive organs---it was everything from the waste down, more or less. I'm surprised she didn't die outright, but according to both the anime and the manga her body's other organs were somehow able to adapt to the functions of her missing organs (e.g. her lower intestinal tract). The intense strain it put on the remaining organs caused her coughing up blood and shortened her lifespan as a result.
Old 2007-10-29, 12:51   Link #297
Kittie Rose

Didn't like the ending of the movie.

Spoiler for FMA Conquerer ending etc.:
Kittie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-30, 18:35   Link #298
Prateem
Seventh Sin

Watched the movie yesterday, after watching all 51 EPS. First off, after the 51st ep of FMA, I was stunned. Never before had I seen such an amazing storyline in any series. I was extremely glad to hear that there was a movie.

The movie.... was amazing. It just reinforced my thoughts about this Anime series. Excellent fighting (Wrath vs. Gluttony was "O.M.G"), and a great flow to the story. The ending was pulled off very well...

Spoiler:

I just hope that BONES goes on with the storyline.

There's my two cents
Prateem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 21:51   Link #299
ezonx

Just watched the movie, it was a great one. Unlike most anime movies this one was utterly awesome a nice way to end a marvelous anime.
ezonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 18:07   Link #300
hopeless_loser

Send a message via MSN to hopeless_loser
I saw her recently, I liked, but it gives me a little hurt winry
hopeless_loser is offline   Reply With Quote