AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-22, 17:49   Link #261
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
Yeah. At this point I think he's too obvious to be the killer.
Maybe it is obvious because he is the killer, that does make sense after all. The writer knows that you'll think he's too obvious and discount him so it doesn't spoil the suspense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
I wonder if part of the reason Satoru hates Shion so much is because everyone has sympathy for Shion since her parents died and she turned to Shougi, but no one cared when the same thing happened to him?
That makes sense. It's actually a reason for him to be harassing her now despite not being the killer. I think my top suspect is still the old guy who minds the desk.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 18:53   Link #262
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

People might have thought Satoru had his brother for support whereas Shion had no one. Also he was much older than Shion when his parents died. So it was only natural for people to dote on little orphan Shion but give Satoru's grief short-shrift.

In reality, though, I doubt Hani Makoto had much to offer. Satoru's anger (hatred?) toward his brother might accentuate his anger (hatred?) toward Shion. All those years of stored-up resentment from being beaten by the Meijin just fuel his need to defeat this spoiled, lucky brat. Psychologists (which I not one of) call this phenomenon "displacement." Sad, isn't it?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 19:19   Link #263
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Maybe it is obvious because he is the killer, that does make sense after all. The writer knows that you'll think he's too obvious and discount him so it doesn't spoil the suspense.

That makes sense. It's actually a reason for him to be harassing her now despite not being the killer. I think my top suspect is still the old guy who minds the desk.
Reminds me of the episode in SZS with the mean looking girl..."Oh she looks too meant to have done it".

I really need to figure out how shougi is played before I catch the next episode...The characters and plot are great as-is, but I have the distinct feeling id get more out of the show if I had a clue about the game.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 01:49   Link #264
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
I really need to figure out how shougi is played before I catch the next episode...The characters and plot are great as-is, but I have the distinct feeling id get more out of the show if I had a clue about the game.
While I'm not at the point to where I want to learn to play (I'm positive I'd be bad at it), I've studied the wiki on shougi and how to play. Now sometimes I can actually figure out what's going on in a game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogi
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 14:11   Link #265
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Wow after this past episode the suspense is killing me im racking my brain for who the killer is. Shion no Ou is defiantly an underrated series great plot great characters and Shion is just so cute watching her facial expressions is great. I suspect since she doesnt talk they paid extra attention to how her face responds to certain situations.
Old 2008-01-25, 02:56   Link #266
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What bothers me most about the murder-mystery aspect of the story is the lack of discussion of motive. Without any clue about why her parents were killed, we left with random speculation about almost any character in the show. Or even people we've never seen. Maybe Nikaido's father killed them in hopes of derailing the career of a potential competitor. (Obviously I don't believe this; I give this example to demonstrate how little evidence we have to rule out even highly implausible scenarios.)
I might be totally wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the police detective mentioned to his subordinate in one episode that they couldn't find any motive for the murder.

Too lazy to go back through them all.
Old 2008-01-25, 08:39   Link #267
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary View Post
I might be totally wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the police detective mentioned to his subordinate in one episode that they couldn't find any motive for the murder.

Too lazy to go back through them all.
Nope you're right they had no motive and hardly any evidence except for a few pieces like the bloody king that was left behind.
Old 2008-01-25, 20:25   Link #268
takodori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post

You can try a game against a Hamster here. It's a flash game.
http://hozo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/shogi/

This is the instruction how to use it in English
http://shogi-shack.net/playhamshogi.aspx

The author of Star Crossed Anime Blog wrote a review about Ep. 08 after playing the application linked above.
http://psgels.blogsome.com/2007/12/02/shion-no-ou-08/

He/She wrote, "I’ve gotten even more respect for the different characters of this series."
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 20:32   Link #269
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 13: Okay --- the scene that had the old man walking out right after they found out that Shion's shoelaces were cut screams out to me that he had something to do with it. I know we have talked about him in the past, but i can't just let what happened dropped.

Yet another very interesting episode. I was very entertained with the ending to Satoru and Shion's match, especially the ending. The great thing about this series is that our main characters can't do the impossible, they can actually lose matches, and each time that happens it's shown that they grow stronger after each defeat. Shion's smile is a perfect example of this.

Scene of the episode for me had to be the flashback that shown Kamizono giving money to Yasuoka. A very beautiful scene, that sweet piano piece (which better had appear on the soundtrack that's being released this week) which helped a lot, along with a certain line that can come across as a powerful one, more ways then one: "Kishi need to believe in the move they've decided upon."

As for the cliffhanger, all i could think is why Satoru would send Saori to see Ayumi's Mother (it's even more mysterious as to why he had to have the text sent by Hani). Sure it looks as if his hidden plan was to show Saori that Ayumi is really male, though why? And that also explains that he knew about it all along --- no surprise when you think about how easy it would be for him to find out such information.
Old 2008-01-27, 23:34   Link #270
Access

He just enjoys manipulating people and causing trouble, I don't think there's any reason beyond that. He recognized a situation where he could do some mischief and jumped at the opportunity. Not that there wasn't mischief (deception) going on there in the first place, but at least Ayumi had a purpose in doing that while he just enjoys tormenting people. Otherwise, his actions don't really make sense. Sending the text from Hani's phone made sense as she was more likely to follow it that way.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 05:16   Link #271
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Though it is quite interesting that Satoru had Ayumi investigated. I can't have been obvious since he is the only person to have figured out the secret. It raises the question of why he'd investigate her like that. Though it seems likely that the investigator is the same friend that was investigating for Shion's mom... Hmmm... perhaps this mysterious "investigator" is the killer!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 08:28   Link #272
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Satoru's investigator must be more skilled at the task than Saori's majordomo whom she commissioned to investigate both Ayumi and Shion in one of the early episodes. Apparently this investigation failed to discover Ayumi's true gender. In fact, I don't really remember any scene where the results of his investigation were discussed.

The flashback scene with Kamizono could be seen as either making him a less likely suspect, because of his concern and generosity, or a more likely suspect driven by guilt to make amends to the little girl whose parents he murdered. My first reaction was the "less likely" option but the alternative also has some plausibility.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-01-28 at 12:40. Reason: grammar
Old 2008-01-28, 09:34   Link #273
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by takodori View Post
You can try a game against a Hamster here. It's a flash game.
http://hozo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/shogi/
Sheesh, that pokey little hamster absolutely destroyed me. Thanks for the links.

Off to watch Shion no Ou now...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 11:27   Link #274
sunflower

Does anyone else think that Kobayashi (the sponsor) is just way too creepy and could be the murderer? I don't know what his motive could be at this point, but the glasses and goofiness and supposed lack of knowledge about the game could be a planned disguise. He's got some evil eyes in the manga sometimes.

If it's not him I have to think it's Hani-meijin. That guy has some repressed anger in him. I wonder what would happen if he ever lost an important match?

Spoiler:
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 11:38   Link #275
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Episode 13:
Old 2008-01-28, 12:58   Link #276
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Spoiler for Episode 13:
Spoiler for eps 11 + 13:
Old 2008-02-03, 12:21   Link #277
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
After listening to the full ED version I just had to check out the series which it ends with (quite possible one of the most addictives ED this season).

Now I'm still trying to catch up just finishing ep 8.

Needless to say this is an awesome series - I play chess myself but that got boring after a while (especially when I don't have any human players to play with ;__; ). Shogi on the other hand seems more like a challenging game with the twist of having the ability to capture pieces rather than kill them. Seems like this is another thing to learn

What an awesome tournament...9th dan getting whipped by an amature? ye ouch on the pride isle

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 21:21   Link #278
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Spoiler for ep15:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 10:40   Link #279
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep15:
I'm rather tempted with the raws, especially after how each episode loves to end of a cliffhanger which is set up nicely.

Episode 14: Thanks to Satoru touching Shion's face, we have yet another reason that makes him stand out as the murderer. On the other hand i guess this also makes Hani a suspect --- i don't even wanna begin to imagine his reason for doing such a thing, though at this point he is a suspect.

Seeing how much this episode focuses on cross-dressing Ayumi makes me believe that this won't be the end of that, especially with Satoru knowing about it. Regarding Hani, i hope he just doesn't ignore the text message sent by Satoru, though knowing him he'll keep it in mind until more of his plan is exposed.
Old 2008-02-04, 13:06   Link #280
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I continue with my guess that Hani meijin is the murderer, and Satoru's plan is to bring the spotlight to Meijin through this tournament, both by bringing attention to his family through his acts, having Shion, Ayumi and Nikaido closer to each other through this maquinations (so that they can support each other, probably because Hani will go a little rampant on Shion when things are exposed), and making Shion see the resemblance of the murderer to him, and by connection to his brother.

My speculations in this forum so far have a success ratio of 75%. Yay.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen