AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-30, 15:15   Link #3101
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

The same goes for Signum. Her knight clothing should go poof after Cypha skewered her.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 15:19   Link #3102
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

The defenition in the Nanoha wiki does say that Barrier Jackets are "an extremely versatile and ubiquitous field-type defensive spell that summons a magical armor protecting a mage from external harm"

So, even with those cases we do seem mages which loses conscious lost their Barrier Jackets. Is something that the show has never been clear about.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:36   Link #3103
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Vivid actually gives us an explanation for this. When Vivio was unconscious after her fight with Miura, Chris kept her Barrier Jacket and adult form active as an emergency measure.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:45   Link #3104
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Sansker, it was in the paragraph after your quote. It's related to the device, as Keroko said, independent of the user's mind.

Old 2013-03-30, 15:49   Link #3105
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

However Nanya has a point on the Cradle. Cancel linking between mage and liker core then lose all magic and spells so their Barrier Jacket should vanish. Hey even if they are magically summon cloths they can be created and repair with magic so they are linked with it and they should disappear but that I have my own personal problem with AMF and magic beings.

So I take this as one of the shows inconsistencies. Barrier Jacket acting like regular cloth when need arrives. To be fair those are magic cloths but still.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:55   Link #3106
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Conservation of Matter, Sansker.

Clothes and devices are solid when they're in use, but they're stored via magic and powered up, via magic.

So, when magic is canceled, they go back to being normal staffs, wands, hammers, swords, clothes, but they're still solid.

After all, wasn't it stated that there's some sort of sub-space pocket?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:06   Link #3107
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Not that I remember.

But the thing is that Barrier Jackets are magical energy, so when their links are disrupted by the AMF field they should vanish because the magic linking that keeping it together is being block.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:07   Link #3108
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

They are not magical energy, they are magical creations.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:08   Link #3109
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Uh, no, it's not magical energy.

Wikis are not always your friend.

Again, if they were magical energy, then they would have fizzled in the Cradle or by an Eclipse or anything else.

Old 2013-03-30, 16:10   Link #3110
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Conservation of Matter, Sansker.

Clothes and devices are solid when they're in use, but they're stored via magic and powered up, via magic.

So, when magic is canceled, they go back to being normal staffs, wands, hammers, swords, clothes, but they're still solid.

After all, wasn't it stated that there's some sort of sub-space pocket?
Kind of what happens with shapeshifters in certains works of fiction?

Usually when a shapeshifter gets their powers stripped/cancelled or gets uncouncious it returns to their original form but in some other shows the shapeshifter is stuck in the form he/she was currently using until it recovers the use of it's powers (in some cases this don't happens and they get stuck forever in that alternate form).

Could be the same case with Devices and Barrier Jackets?

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 16:15   Link #3111
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I don't really know but I still say the Barrier Jackets are energy. They are spells and while this show seems to imply mages can transform energy in to matter, I still see the Barrier Jackets as energy cloths. That is how they can repair it and made them look what they want.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:18   Link #3112
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
I don't really know but I still say the Barrier Jackets are energy. They are spells and while this show seems to imply mages can transform energy in to matter, I still see the Barrier Jackets as energy cloths. That is how they can repair it and made them look what they want.
To be fair it seems the shape of the Barrier Jacket/Kngiht Clothing-armor can only be chosen once and a more specific process is needed in order to change it again. So far no character has been shown to be able to change to appearance and shape of it's combat attire at will xDU

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 16:22   Link #3113
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Because they don't feel like thinking on more than 2 or 3 sets of cloths for each character. But the idea that is hard to change your Barrier Jacket once you made it doesn't really hold ground for me. I mean I shaped once from my mind so why I can't do it again? Did I lost that part of my brain when I agree to it?
Old 2013-03-30, 16:22   Link #3114
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansker View Post
I don't really know but I still say the Barrier Jackets are energy.
*sighs*

Here we go again.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:27   Link #3115
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Uh, no, it's not magical energy.

Wikis are not always your friend.

Again, if they were magical energy, then they would have fizzled in the Cradle or by an Eclipse or anything else.
Wiki got nothin' to do with it, the manga clearly states Barrier Jackets are made out of energy fields and barriers. Cradle's just a plothole.

Probably the script said "and then the characters lose their magic" and the animators didn't realize that this meant Barrier Jackets should go poof as well.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:27   Link #3116
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

It makes sense considering Raising Heart specifically asked Nanoha for her Jackets shape at the moment of her registration as a validate user. The Knights also told Hayate it's the work of the master to choose the form of the combat attire for the Wolkenritter.

So far the only times there are major changes in appearance is when thei combat attire is revised and unhaced to work with a new system (since StrikerS Nanoha's BJ have two modes in roder to work better with RH's different skillsets... in FORCE her barrier jacket is once again redsigned so the Fortress unit fit her better).

I wonder why only Nanoha's BJ has suffered major changes, as i've said sometime ago the lacking defense the Jackets and Knight attires offer against Eclipse should be enough motivation to improve their clothes as well as their weapons.

~The ASFB~
Old 2013-03-30, 16:30   Link #3117
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
I wonder why only Nanoha's BJ has suffered major changes, as i've said sometime ago the lacking defense the Jackets and Knight attires offer against Eclipse should be enough motivation to improve their clothes as well as their weapons.
Fate's did as well. Hayate didn't, but she has the excuse that her A's Jacket barely has had any screentime.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:30   Link #3118
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Wiki got nothin' to do with it, the manga clearly states Barrier Jackets are made out of energy fields and barriers. Cradle's just a plothole.
Where does it say that?

Besides, Keroko, that's not completely true that they're made out of energy.

As Aki pointed out, the Wolkenritter didn't have any sort of clothing at all until Hayate designed it for them.

There's also the AMF that was used in StrikerS. Remember how Wendi, Otto and Deed took out those members of the Bureau? They were still in their Bureau Barrier Jackets, not in civilian clothing and there were gadgets around.

Old 2013-03-30, 16:31   Link #3119
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Will be usless when you consider Dividers can, well, divide magical energy so all their magic defenses like the armors or jackets will be as good as their uniforms. Which seeing how they are equip with revival units, in the arm no less, might not be that bad.

But then again, as Keroko says, the Barrier Jackets are made of energy. Even if we ignore a direct reference we see them as light before covering their bodies and take form and, as say by RH, Nanoha did create that form so they are energy made in to cloths.

Also the TSAB soldiers wear armor as their uniform, so they don't cast Barrier Jackets.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:34   Link #3120
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Fate's did as well. Hayate didn't, but she has the excuse that her A's Jacket barely has had any screentime.
Oh yeah, i know Fate's BJ has gained several forms over the course of the years but i'm talking about FORCE. She's still wearing her "impulse form" jacket from StrikerS ...the only notorious change is her single ponytail replacing her twintails xD

~The ASFB~
Closed Thread