Old 2013-09-01, 19:25   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Discussion [Light Novel / Manga]

Title: Before the Fall [prequel to manga]

Author: Ryo Suzukaze

Illustration: Thores Shibamoto

Manga Adaptation: Satoshi Shiki

Before the Fall is a Light Novel series that is written by Ryō Suzukaze and illustrated by Thores Shibamoto. It began serializing on December 2011. It is published by Kodansha and thus far three volume are in print. An insert included in the second Blu-ray Disc volume of Attack on Titan revealed that Satoshi Shiki will draw the Attack on Titan: Before the Fall spinoff manga which is adapting Ryō Suzukaze's light novel series. The series will premiere in Kodansha's Monthly Shōnen Sirius magazine's October issue on August 26.

This story takes place 70 years before the manga story starts. Here is a brief synopsis in the following:
A baby is found crying in a mass of Titan vomit, amidst the dead titan flames. The child is known as "The Child of Titans", and is essentially hated by the people inside the walls. He also seems to grow unnaturally fast. Named Kyukuro, he parts himself from his past/upbringing and gambles on the fate of humanity by enlisting in the scouting legion.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 21:07   Link #2
peskylemur25

I think they are going to also adopt the first light novel about the creation of he 3 d Maneuver gear first. And chapter zero was interesting where it show a religious person praying at a titan? But then he or she gotten eaten. I really hope this manga will shred some light on the government and religious group in snk world.
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 21:09   Link #3
ReddyRedWolf

Theory: The Wallists were originally Titan worshipers. Since there are Titans in the walls they changed their doctrine revering the walls. Only the Wallist highers up knews this in Eren's time as the Kingdom put heaving control on information destroying books that describe the outside world and the fact Titans were humans.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:00   Link #4
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

That Titan looks like a pokemon, Grimer. Probably one of the people inside the wall unconsciously transformed into a titan due to an unknown reason. Humans have a tendency to turn into even if they don't wish to. Probably, those who live on the outside world are more peaceful and civilized than those people who are in isolation. Titans are still humans anyway.
Old 2013-09-04, 14:34   Link #5
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

May I ask what the spoiler policy here is? Regarding BtF LN readers and BtF manga readers, but also between SnK anime watchers and SnK manga readers?
Old 2013-09-06, 00:16   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Same set of Spoiler Rule. Novel Readers for BtF can use clearly marked spoiler tag out of courtesy for the BtF Manga readers. Anime watchers should stay away from here if they don't want to be spoiled. Manga discussion not related to BtF need to go to the Manga thread. If the discussion on BtF calls for reference from the manga, then make sure to use clearly marked spoiler tags before divulging such information. In a nutshell, just use common sense. That's all.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 00:29   Link #7
jackolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskylemur25 View Post
I think they are going to also adopt the first light novel about the creation of he 3 d Maneuver gear first. And chapter zero was interesting where it show a religious person praying at a titan? But then he or she gotten eaten. I really hope this manga will shred some light on the government and religious group in snk world.
That's right. The first book is being adapted first, so the protagonist is not Kyklop, but rather Ángel Aaltonen, the creator of the 3DMG and other weapons.

Also Satoshi Shiki, is technically both the Author and Artist of the Manga adaptation, since he's the one drafting it from the novel.
So it would be more correct if OP can change his post to what's listed below, since it's what the promotion poster says too;
Quote:
Original Series Author: Hajime Isayama
Original Light Novel Author: Ryo Suzukaze
Original Light Novel Illustrator: Thores Shibamoto
Manga Art & Story Adaptation: Satoshi Shiki

Last edited by jackolo; 2013-09-07 at 00:39.
jackolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 16:28   Link #8
normp571

I know we are not allowed to link to non-official translations, but can anyone tell me if there is one out there?
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 11:02   Link #9
Breimoon

for LN noone, for manga only ch 0.
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 11:22   Link #10
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Vertical Adds Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Light Novel Series

Hooray for fans.
Old 2013-10-12, 17:55   Link #11
normp571

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
The Attack on Titan BTF manga, and Levi's spinoff manga have been licensed as well as the light novels have been too.
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 21:12   Link #12
Dread Fox

I bet these are adapted into a 3 or 4 episode type mini series or something outside of the normal show.
Dread Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 02:09   Link #13
Flolan

So i read the first chapter. Quite gruesome and freaky. The artwork is superb, it feels a little weird actually when i compare it to the original work... its so different *laughs* The original AoT has a lot of gore in it but somehow this feels a lot worse... more seinen.

There is just one thing i dont understand. Why would Isayama allow all these people to have their way with his work? Several spin-off manga, light novels... arent these twisting the original AoT world?
Flolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 06:12   Link #14
Breimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flolan View Post
So i read the first chapter. Quite gruesome and freaky. The artwork is superb, it feels a little weird actually when i compare it to the original work... its so different *laughs* The original AoT has a lot of gore in it but somehow this feels a lot worse... more seinen.

There is just one thing i dont understand. Why would Isayama allow all these people to have their way with his work? Several spin-off manga, light novels... arent these twisting the original AoT world?
the editors should arleady know how the story goes and ends and so they just need to tell these other people what to work on.
Old 2013-10-18, 06:28   Link #15
ReddyRedWolf

I can't help but think that the Titan cult is really the Wallist cult in the early days.

Though I think if the government heard what happened they'd purge of Titan worshipers as an appropriate response. As they are too dangerous and too dumb to live.

As for the kid born from his crazy mother well he doesn't deserve this treatment as he shouldn't be held accountable for his mother's crimes. But society will view him as freak, a survivor of a Titan swallowing his mother, and the fact his mother was responsible for a lot of deaths.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 08:30   Link #16
gd131

i think the titan kid could be the big hairy titan who seemed surprised by the gear that the scouts were using nowadays.
gd131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-20, 06:18   Link #17
Breimoon

isn't he one of the first ones to use it? or at least so it seems by the cover. Unless he gets amnesia?
Old 2013-10-20, 08:57   Link #18
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

From Mangahelpers
Quote:
Novels set years before the beginning of the manga.

1) Anheru works at a workshop creating protective gear/weapons for the scouting legion (the story is set before the 3D maneuver gear was invented). Anheru is a first class weapons craftsman, and therefore has direct access and also is involved in the ongoings within the scouting legion. In the story, people still didn't know about the weak points of the titans; the story is about Anheru beginning to work on the ultimate weapon/gear to fight the titans. So essentially we learn about how the 3D maneuver gear came about.

2) A baby is found crying in a mass of Titan vomit, amidst the dead titan flames. The child is called "child of titan" and is essentially hated by the people inside the walls. He also seems to grow unnaturally fast. Named Kyukuro, he parts himself from his past/upbringing and gambles on the fate of humanity by enlisting in the scouting legion.

3) Kyukuro has survived from the outside wall: in order to defeat the titans, he gets his hands on the 3D manuever gear. Although the gear is still imperfect and causes a troublesome incident for Kyukuro, he fights the titans. Whether it is because it is his fate to fight them, or it is because of his past, he fights against them.
Old 2013-10-21, 10:18   Link #19
cpreshia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flolan View Post

The parody manga is an "official parody." It is written by Isayama, but drawn by some one else. The BTF and Levi spinoff were approved by Isayama and are canon to the source material.
cpreshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 10:21   Link #20
Candeloro1

MC appeared only for some pages, and he's already more interesting than eren.
Candeloro1 is offline   Reply With Quote