AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2009-12-17, 12:05   Link #21
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Kugimiya might have pulled a fast one on me when she voiced Yuuki (Tacos) in Saki, but from the shows I've seen when she voice acts, she used the same 2 voices Childish/squeaky (louise, shana, Nagi) and young soft spoken boy (Hotaru-Gakuen Alice, The lead character in Nabari no ou). If that's the case, I don't think either voice could match Mikoto.

Rina Saitou however has been able to adjust her voice for each role she plays (boyish voice for Negi springfield, snobish princess voice for Lilly-Mana Khemia 2, and of course Misaka Mikoto). Misaka almost sounded realistic with Rina's voice.

I probably would need to check up on more shows she voiced in to see if her voice changed in any of them before I would decide if Kugimiya would have been an alternate Mikoto.
Watch Minami-ke and Umineko no naku koro ni.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 15:45   Link #22
stillmissing

I have to agree with Wilfriback.

It's possible that Rie has been unfairly typecast in recent years, but in my honest opinion, she doesn't match Mikoto's character type.
stillmissing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 14:17   Link #23
Dark Paladin X

I already finished watching the "Aureolus Izzard" arch of To Aru Majutsu no Index and currently watching the Accelerator arch.

All I can say is the Japanese voice acting of Aureolus Izzard really fits into the character. However, choosing the voice actors for my English dub idea is quite difficult for the next characters I'm going to mention.

For the voice actor for Aureolus Izzard, I would probably would looking for something with "deep and charming" voice. I orginally thought up of Crispin Freeman, but his voice acting is "too deep" for Izzard. I was thinking of Liam O'Brien to voice this character. He's well known to voice evil geniuses or bad guys with some insanity, and his voice acting of Lloyd Asplund from Code Geass impressed me a bit.

For Aisa Himegami, this is also tough one for my choice of voice actress for this character. I kinda stuck between Kari Wahlgren and Stephanie Sheh. I heard some of the voice acting in their own websites, but I can't really make my own clear judgment because I wasn't able to see the video that goes along with the voice acting. I would probably go with Kari Wahlgren to voice Aisa Himegami. Her voice acting of Kagami from Lucky Star and Gwen from Guild Wars impressed me (although the later is from an MMORPG game I own). As for Stephanie Sheh, I think Maika Tsuchimikado would fit well into Sheh's voice acting despite Maika playing a very minor role in the series. Not to mention, I enjoyed Sheh's voice work of Mikuru from Haruhi Suzumiya and Akira from Lucky Star

Now of course, when it comes to choosing voice actor ideas for dubs, there is always second options. As hinakatbklyn mentioned, there is a chance that Jessica Boone may unable to do the cute voice acting for Komoe-sensei. In this case, I would choose Hynden Walch as my second option of Komoe, mainly due to her voice acting of Yutaka from Lucky Star. For Accelerator, I'm keeping Johnny Yong Bosch as my primary option for Acceleartor and second option for Touma. If James Arnold Taylor is unable to voice Touma for whatever reason and Bosch ends up voicing that character, then I would have Spike Spencer to voice Accelerator. Although I do admit, Accelerator's Japanese voice acting sounds quite sinister and Spike Spencer would sound awkward for Accelerator.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 17:06   Link #24
hinakatbklyn

This may not apply to every character, but I've heard the same type of voice from both Kari and Stephanie, so whichever voice gets picked for a particular character, if that one is unable to do the job, the other one can easily fill the shoes. Sounds like another pair of voice actors who split 2 different characters. In a way they also sounded alike for a different reason.

Spoiler for Different 2 series:

When it comes to sinister and evil look no further than Liam O'Brien. If not Bosch for Accelerator, I would go with O'Brien.
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 22:21   Link #25
Miraluka
Banned

Can they do the teenager evil laugh of Accelerator???
Old 2009-12-26, 02:53   Link #26
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Can they do the teenager evil laugh of Accelerator???
Well look no further to Johnny Yong Bosch's Hollow Ichigo laugh.

By the way, hinakatbklyn, who do you think would be appropriate for Aureolus Izzard, Stiyl Magnus, Aisa Himegami, and Motoharu and Maika Tsuchimikado for the dub?

I haven't said what I think who should voice Stiyl Magnus and Motoharu Tsuchimikado. However, I would like to see George Newbern (who voice Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII) to voice Stiyl Magnus while I would like to see Doug Erholtz (who voices Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII) voice Motoharu.
Old 2009-12-26, 11:27   Link #27
hinakatbklyn

I had a mostly easier time picking the mostly main cast, but the other cast later on is much tougher to figure out. If I took a particular character you mentioned, took the seiyuu, matched him / her up to another character she voiced, my dub prospects would look like:

Aisa: Either Stephanie or Kari
Izzard:
Spoiler for another character another series:

Motoharu and Maika, I would have much more trouble figuring out.

(Edit I found Stiyl so I have an idea who I would pick without using the seiyuu as a stepping stool.
(A) Vic Mignogna (If he's serious) (B) Patrick Setz

I'll use the same theory for Accelerator. I went with Bosch first without knowing about what he looked like. Now I have an idea of who to choose:
(A) Jason Liebrecht (B) Steve Saley (Cannon) Both young but energetic

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2009-12-27 at 17:45. Reason: change of opinion
Old 2010-01-08, 21:49   Link #28
babohtea

I have to say that voice actors significantly affect what characters I like (seeing as the anime is my primary source of Index exposure)

For instance, I like the actors of Touma, Kuroko, Mikoto and Saten, and they are also one of my favorite characters.

Voice actors that didn't really stand out to me (Aisa, Kaori or Kazakiri to name a few), even if they play a large role don't exactly grab my attention.

And now I hate index partially because of her stupid outfit but also because of how annoying she sounds.

Yeah, voice acting definitely affects my opinion of characters. I really don't like the generic "whiny/breathy female voice".
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 22:26   Link #29
Miraluka
Banned

Mmmmm...
Have you ever heard Rie Kumigiya(Aisaka Taiga, Louise de la Valier or Shana)??
Actually I dislike most of her roles because the characters he voiced tend to be repetitive althought that I aprecciate her work case there are exceptions like Momotaro(Zettai Karen Children) and Alphonse Elric(Full Metal Alchemist) that I liked a lot.

I always thought the same things about the voice but the personalities also are important, for example Mikoto and Index both were semi-serious characters but later showed more of them and I lost the interest but not the the point to hate ficitionals characters e_eU.... I like about 90% of characters from Index with few exceptions like some unknown scientists which I dislike cause their doings for the sake of the science.... about Index you really need to hear that the voice actress changes the tone of voice depending the situation like the "evil Index mode" or the one after Touma fight against Accelerator in the hospital, btw the tastes are the important thing because doesn't matter how good can be the work of the seiyuu if you dislike/hate the character.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-01-08 at 22:47.
Old 2010-01-08, 23:02   Link #30
babohtea

Ehh, I just thought that the Seiyu's (probably partly the director's fault too) tone portrayed Index as being extremely annoying/naggy, an impression I did not get from reading the first volume of the novel. I know she has some habits of eating a lot or biting, but they chose to portray it as funny-annoying rather than funny-cool. I don't know if this makes sense.

Basically, I find her annoying due to the way she was drawn and voiced, not because she bit people and she ate a lot.

On the other hand, I actually really like Misaka's voice =/
Old 2010-01-08, 23:13   Link #31
Miraluka
Banned

For me, Mikoto and Index, both basically are the same, even Mikoto surpassed Index's child factor and her obsession with Touma in Railgun series D: *tears*.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2010-01-08 at 23:44. Reason: fixed(?)
Old 2010-01-08, 23:21   Link #32
babohtea

I did not understand that sentence at all. Sorry ><. Could you reword without pronouns?
Old 2010-01-09, 15:59   Link #33
Dark Paladin X

Okay, I finally managed to finish watching the entire To Aru Majutsu no Index series yesterday. Now this time, I've thought up of a dub cast that STRICTLY uses voice actors from California, no voice actors from Texas. This would mean the cast I thought up is possible if either Disney, Viz Media, or (worse yet) Bandai picks this anime up. Although I personally don't think these voice actors are the best choice, I've thought of having several voice actors voicing multiple characters, most cost efficient that way.

James Arnold Taylor-Touma Kamijou
Kate Higgins-Index
Cristina Valenzuela- Mikoto Misaka, MISAKA
Wendee Lee- Kuroko Shirai
Johnny Yong Bosch- Accelerator
Hyden Walch- Komoe-sensei
Kirk Thorton- Heaven Canceler, Stiyl Magnus, Touya Kamijou
Kari Wahlgren- Aisa Himegami, Sherry Cromwell, Kikyou Yoshikawa
Michelle Ruff- Kaori Kanzaki, Aiho Yomikawa
Liam O'Brien- Aureolus Izzard, Ao Amai
Stephanie Sheh- Maika Tsuchimikado, Hyoka Kazakiri, Last Order
Doug Erholtz-Motoharu Tsuchimikado
Crispin Freeman- Mitsuki Unabara, Aleister Crowley
Yuri Lowenthal- Blue haired student with piercing (fannicknamed: Pierce Aogami)

Now, the biggest difference from my previous ideas is that I've thought up of Cristina Valenzuela to voice Mikoto Misaka instead of Tara Strong. I've decided to move Tara Strong as my second option for this character:

Spoiler for watching the first episodes of Shakugan no Shana and the Familiar of Zero:

As for me, I'm planning to watch Lucky Star dubbed (even though I only saw a few clips) or Hayate the Combat Butler subbed. Then I'll get more ideas for Hayate the Combat Butler English dub ideas (not the Animax-Asia version) by watching some Funimation dubs. But as for now, I think I'm fine with the English voice actor ideas for To Aru Majutsu no Index. Although I can't think of a cast using voice actors from Texas for this anime, I think hinakatbklyn's ideas mostly use those from Texas. I might plan to watch To Aru Kagaku no Railgun if I have time and have ideas for a dub of the spinoff.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X; 2010-01-09 at 16:13.
Old 2010-01-09, 16:18   Link #34
Miraluka
Banned

Oh wow you really made a good cast O_o!!
Old 2010-01-09, 19:29   Link #35
hinakatbklyn

(1)I could see Valenzuela and Higgins being the dub for either Index and/or Mikoto. (They can both switch between energetic and deep serious at the drop of a hat).

(2)In a way I had a much easier time coming up with Texas dubs since they could be more suitable with both comedy and drama, where as California can be more suited wtih drama (although I have noticed some exceptions).

(3)I stayed away from Ocean studios since I could come up with less options for the Toaru series, although I've seen enough shows with their dubs to come up with ideas for only the main cast.

(4)Hayate is off topic, but a dub for that series, I took one look at each character and without blinking I would give the dub to Texas (although it would have to be former ADV).
Old 2010-01-10, 11:01   Link #36
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
Okay, I finally managed to finish watching the entire To Aru Majutsu no Index series yesterday. Now this time, I've thought up of a dub cast that STRICTLY uses voice actors from California, no voice actors from Texas. This would mean the cast I thought up is possible if either Disney, Viz Media, or (worse yet) Bandai picks this anime up. Although I personally don't think these voice actors are the best choice, I've thought of having several voice actors voicing multiple characters, most cost efficient that way.

James Arnold Taylor-Touma Kamijou
Kate Higgins-Index
Cristina Valenzuela- Mikoto Misaka, MISAKA
Hyden Walch- Komoe-sensei
Kirk Thorton- Heaven Canceler, Stiyl Magnus, Touya Kamijou
Kari Wahlgren- Aisa Himegami, Sherry Cromwell, Kikyou Yoshikawa
Crispin Freeman- Mitsuki Unabara, Aleister Crowley
Yuri Lowenthal- Blue haired student with piercing (fannicknamed: Pierce Aogami)

Now, the biggest difference from my previous ideas is that I've thought up of Cristina Valenzuela to voice Mikoto Misaka instead of Tara Strong. I've decided to move Tara Strong as my second option for this character:

Spoiler for watching the first episodes of Shakugan no Shana and the Familiar of Zero:

As for me, I'm planning to watch Lucky Star dubbed (even though I only saw a few clips) or Hayate the Combat Butler subbed. Then I'll get more ideas for Hayate the Combat Butler English dub ideas (not the Animax-Asia version) by watching some Funimation dubs. But as for now, I think I'm fine with the English voice actor ideas for To Aru Majutsu no Index. Although I can't think of a cast using voice actors from Texas for this anime, I think hinakatbklyn's ideas mostly use those from Texas. I might plan to watch To Aru Kagaku no Railgun if I have time and have ideas for a dub of the spinoff.
I loved Cristina as Noel in BlazBlue! Good choice for choosing her as Mikoto's VA.
Old 2010-01-10, 21:36   Link #37
Dark Paladin X

Wow, thanks for the nice feedback on my dub cast idea. I'm pretty sure MrTerrorist and hinakatbklyn would highly agree with my dub cast using only Californian voice actors with the probable exception of James Arnold Taylor as Touma. The reason I threw him in is because Mr. Taylor have a lot of flexibility in voice actng and I find flexibility to be important for anime dubbing. Here is some of Mr. Taylor's voice work. Sadly, none of them are anime.

I really can't think of any good role for Yuri Lowenthal for To Aru Majutsu no Index. I just have him voice the blue haired guy with piercings as an actor allusion that Yuri is good friends with Doug Erholtz (which I have Doug voice Motoharu). May I remind that this minor is often seen together with Motoharu. However, I did thought of a good voice role in Hayate the Combat Butler for Yuri Lowenthal (hint: the title character).
Old 2010-02-25, 19:10   Link #38
Dark Paladin X

Okay, I revamped the dub cast list to include a few Texan regulars (Travis Willingham, Vic Mignogna, and Laura Bailey). I hope you enjoy the revamped cast (bolded indicates changed):

James Arnold Taylor or Vic Mignogna-Touma Kamijou
Kate Higgins-Index
Cristina Valenzuela- Mikoto Misaka
Hynden Walch- Komoe-sensei
Travis Willingham- Heaven Canceler, Stiyl Magnus
Kari Wahlgren- Aisa Himegami
Crispin Freeman- Mitsuki Unabara, Aleister Crowley, Touya Kamijou
Yuri Lowenthal- Pierce Aogami
Laura Bailey- MISAKA, Sherry Cromwell, Kikyou Yoshikawa

Anyways, a bit of a further explanation for having Hynden Walch voicing Komoe-sensei (and possibly my best explanation that justifies my stance), Hynden Walch's voice acting tends to fit more into the "moe" type of characters (although the said voice actor isn't much of a regular in anime).

Spoiler for Lucky Star:

I've chosen Wendee Lee to voice Kuroko Shirai mainly because her voice acting fits the energy and enthusiasm of this character:

Spoiler for Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya:

But still, there aren't any good roles for Yuri Lowenthal across from Pierce Aogami (while I wait for 4chan for them to start making fun of Yuri's name).

Oh yeah, between James Arnold Taylor and Vic Mignogna, who do you think is more appropriate to voice Touma Kamijou? I think it is possible to still have Bosch voice Accelerator while not having James Arnold Taylor and the labor unions get involved if Vic picks up the role of Touma Kamijou. EDIT: Thus, it makes Vic Mignogna my THIRD option to voice Touma Kamijou.
Old 2010-02-26, 11:00   Link #39
hinakatbklyn

Haven't reached Kuroko through the index series but through the railgun series, I doubt Wendee Lee can keep up with Kuroko's voice. Britney Karbowski and Laura Bailey on the other hand, I've heard enough from both to say they might do very well with Kuroko.

While Kate Higgins works wonders for Index, maybe an accent would work wonders as well. Someone like Karen Strausman as an alternate.

Michelle Ruff has toned down her pitch lately, which could make her a perfect candidate for Kaori if not, komoe.

Already know about Bosch for Accelerator, although I wouldn't leave out Liam O'Brien as another candidate.

If funimation picked up this series here's why would I pick Chris Patton and Luci Christian to be Touma and Misaka Mikoto:
Spoiler for Full metal panic:

I'll leave the others until I know more about them later on although I do have choices in prior posts.

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-02-26 at 12:21.
Old 2010-03-06, 12:02   Link #40
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

4th Annual Seiyū Award Winners Announced

Congratulations to the K-On! cast for winning the Best Singing Award.

Congratulations to Atsushi Abe for winning the Best New Actor Awards for his role as Toma.

And kudos to Kanae Itō & Aki Toyosaki for winning the Best New Actress Awards