AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2005-12-25, 06:23   Link #1
Nahtanoj14

Fansub Comparison site

Anyone know a good fansub comparison site or sites. I find them very useful but apparently the one on anime-planet is dead. If you know of any plz tell me. XD
Nahtanoj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 08:07   Link #2
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
I know of two....

www.ultracarl.com/fansub/

http://ultima.hafio.info/

Those two I know...
________
Origin

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:45.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 14:38   Link #3
pika-kun

shame all these sites doesn't really use png (or another lossless format)
what is the point of having the pix that are lossy? cause what you are comparing are crappy low quality jpgs not really what the releases really look like.
*shrug*
i guess it is useful for seeing typesetting 'et al, but not video quality.

-----
my bad.. seems that some of them are in fact png
seems like carl has been redoing his stuff.. fighto!
pika-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 17:47   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I would also like to recommend Anime-Planet Forum. You have to register to see their Fansub Comparisons Forum, but there are a lot of interesting discussions on the subject there. Plus runpsicat sometimes posts interesting, detailed and very helpful comparisons of the various group's translations.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 23:25   Link #5
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
Originally Posted by pika-kun
what is the point of having the pix that are lossy? cause what you are comparing are crappy low quality jpgs not really what the releases really look like.
*shrug*

-----
you can only show so much with a still image

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 02:01   Link #6
ViVi_bOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika-kun
*shrug*

-----
Please Read carefully & check carefully before u make any statement like that for the both website
ViVi_bOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 22:50   Link #7
Nahtanoj14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I would also like to recommend Anime-Planet Forum. You have to register to see their Fansub Comparisons Forum, but there are a lot of interesting discussions on the subject there. Plus runpsicat sometimes posts interesting, detailed and very helpful comparisons of the various group's translations.
Like I said b4 its no longer there. But if u somehow manage to find it or sumthing plz link XD
Old 2005-12-27, 01:07   Link #8
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

No problem. Here's your link:

Anime-Planet's Fansub Quality Comparison Forum.

You can't view it until you register... like I said.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-27, 02:56   Link #9
Nahtanoj14

oic thank you thank you
Old 2005-12-28, 12:09   Link #10
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Umm...I hate to break it to you, but 90% of the people that post there are VERY biast...that would have to the WORST suggestion for a comparision, that site is just biast reviews. Sites like the first guy posted are TRUE comparison sites (with screenshots AND information).

To anyone who's never been there, don't waste you time :-\....you'd find more information asking a blind man...

(and the PICTURE qaulity isn't waht is crap ppl...one of the sites was down when i checked...but the one that was up was using PNG images....so that's the ENCODE you see....not a COMPRESSED image :P)

(As for Anime-Planet....they act like they know everything and they know hardly sh*t...you be better off going to doom9, learning about the encode process and about codecs, then judging yourself....you probably know more than the people that post on Anime-Planet anyways...)
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 13:07   Link #11
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaServ
Umm...I hate to break it to you, but 90% of the people that post there are VERY biast...that would have to the WORST suggestion for a comparision, that site is just biast reviews. Sites like the first guy posted are TRUE comparison sites (with screenshots AND information).
I agree totally. Anime-Planet reviewers often have favourite subbers one way or another, and you can't rely on anyone for reviews. Good for them for making that forum registered-only because there's nothing useful there. Screenshot sites let you do the comparison yourself.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 13:22   Link #12
lamer_de

Please tell me how you can judge translation accuracy and editing and timing from screenshots.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2005-12-28, 13:53   Link #13
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
For translation accuracy, it's ratrhger easy to tell... if there's a large discrepancy between a single line spoken in several different subs, you know something's up.

I recall an infamous image comparing a line in GITS: SAC done by Animejunkies and several others...
"Mass naked child events."

Last edited by Dark Lord Zenigame; 2005-12-28 at 14:13.
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 17:48   Link #14
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Zenigame
For translation accuracy, it's ratrhger easy to tell... if there's a large discrepancy between a single line spoken in several different subs, you know something's up.
This requires there to be multiple versions of the sub out for you to figure this out. If there are two copes and one of them has every noun and direct object switched, you would never know which one was the right one . Also, if you actually look at some of the comparisons, you would notice that in many cases, the translations vary to the point that each release will have a different translation. This is why anime-planet is good. Usually someone who knows something will post which one is right.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 18:01   Link #15
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
This requires there to be multiple versions of the sub out for you to figure this out. If there are two copes and one of them has every noun and direct object switched, you would never know which one was the right one . Also, if you actually look at some of the comparisons, you would notice that in many cases, the translations vary to the point that each release will have a different translation. This is why anime-planet is good. Usually someone who knows something will post which one is right.
And often they are BOTH right - simply translated or edited differently depending on style. Rarely will there be a rigid method to express an idea originally spoken in a different language.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 20:56   Link #16
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
If you already know the Japanese and can figure out which sub is right, by all means just download the raws already. Anime-Planet does not actually have an experienced team like that, it's just a bunch of people combining their limited knowledge with the utter boredom required to download multiple copies of an episode.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 01:23   Link #17
iluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
If you already know the Japanese and can figure out which sub is right, by all means just download the raws already. Anime-Planet does not actually have an experienced team like that, it's just a bunch of people combining their limited knowledge with the utter boredom required to download multiple copies of an episode.
For many series, this is true. However there are also shows that get proper reviews from people like runpsicat.

I'm not a big fan of anime-planet's fansub comparison board, but that's only because I'm not a fan of the whole idea. They try very hard to keep things unbiased, but the very nature of fansub quality comparisons is an invitation for bias and flames. Unless you actually pay an outside consulting firm to make the judgments, you are not going to be free of bias. Also, even if you did pay an outside group, they would likely develop bias opinions over time as well. In other words, anime-planet is as good as you will get, if asuki were to open such a board, there would be just as much bias as there is on anime-planet since it's mostly the fans doing the reviews.

Anime-Planet can be useful though, you just have to ignore the "reviews" that lack substance and pay attention to the ones that really offer a clear comparison.
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 02:44   Link #18
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluid
In other words, anime-planet is as good as you will get, if asuki were to open such a board, there would be just as much bias as there is on anime-planet since it's mostly the fans doing the reviews.
That's why you'll never see a fansub comparison forum on AnimeSuki.

Anime-Planet's forum can be quite helpful though, if you read carefully and think about the reviews instead of just taking it as gospel. I don't always want to download from each group and watch the same episode 5 times. So I check out what a bunch of different people are saying in that forum. I keep in mind who is in which group and pay a lot of attention to the examples that are given. A lot of information can be gleaned this way as long as you take their biases into consideration.

Old 2005-12-29, 13:27   Link #19
LytHka
Banned

Sure, some people might be biased on Anime-Planet, but not as a whole. Good reviewers exist (runpsicat for example) who can actually give their honest opinions based on their *actual* expertise.
The only problem with Anime-Planet is that posters and moderators like to forget that a fansub is a fan-made product and that they are not there to choose *the best* fansub but to exclude *unwatchable* ones, which is rarely the case. Fansubs are, or should be by nature low quality anime releases but nobody is going to protest to higher quality. Though it becomes a problem when a "not as good as" release gets spit and stepped on when it's completely watchable.
Screenshot comparison sites often provide more misunderstanding than they solve it. With that they provide *partial* information to the dumb leecher. They offer only *partial* encoding and typesetting feedback and information on who fansubbed the release. Other aspects such as translation, editing and timing get neglected.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 14:11   Link #20
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Screenshot comparison sites often provide more misunderstanding than they solve it. With that they provide *partial* information to the dumb leecher. They offer only *partial* encoding and typesetting feedback and information on who fansubbed the release. Other aspects such as translation, editing and timing get neglected.
Can't really show that with just screenshots can you

This is basically a take of WTF or We The Fans. An idea that didn't last too long because it was very stressful from what I was told. But that did have full stuff and all that other jazz.
Of course you can only show typesetting (fonts/colors and such) and some encode quality, thats what it is built as in a sense. In my opinion it would be too much of a hassle for me or anyone else to do a full comparison on all those other aspects (timing/editing) while at the same time staying unbiased and sane. I generally don't post any opinions or comments because I am already biased in the sense that I get "X' group over "Y" group. So my opinion would be moot.
I'll babbling on pointlessly, stop me now

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote