AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-07-10, 06:21   Link #41
shadowplay
passive observer

Wow 1st episode was surprisingly good, I liked it a lot, even new designs were somehow fitting. OP is great too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
It's fairly good, but, honestly, I am not a fan of series that show you how fucked up people are in order to make you feel good about yourself.
You can look at it that way but then lot of folks will be able to identify with or feel close to some of the NHK characters including Satou, well in Japan at least.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 09:53   Link #42
yamikage

Wow, your first impressions sound good. I can't wait for the subs.

BTW, check out the novel's cover drawn by Yoshitoshi ABe for comparison with the anime and manga art:

IMO each have their own charm, but I'm a bit biased with the novel version since I'm a bit of an ABe fan.
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 10:25   Link #43
wao
OK.

It's kind of funny how there are really very adverse reactions to the show. Is it really because they didn't draw the female characters as cutely as they did in the manga? I'm almost wondering if the show is poking fun at people like you (but of course, I can't say a single thing seeing that I have never read the manga)

What I can't understand is why people hate the OP I guess they prefer something cutesy and normal-coloured like Haruhi's OP. It's really YMMV with this show... I think it'll be interesting to watch just to see the viewer reactions - especially the difference between the manga fans and those who haven't read the manga.
Old 2006-07-10, 11:14   Link #44
shadowplay
passive observer

How can anyone hate OP? OP is awesomah! ;D.
I was sceptic because of Gonzo production just like everyone, but that Keroro Gunso director (Yusuke Yamamoto) obviously knows whats he's doing. The only possible problem with future episodes might be budget limitations and then we'll probably see animation quality suffer cause of it.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 11:28   Link #45
wao
OK.

Yeah. Considering how he piles in references to so many things in Keroro and still makes it funny enough for what, 3 years in running - he should be quite familiar with "what fans want".

I wonder if he'll actually make sure the lead guy gets portrayed as seriously, realistically screwed up as possible knowing very well in mind that there are many lonesome otaku/near-hikkis/hikkis (?) watching this very show.

Perhaps there's a reason behind them going for a less faithful and more er... "unbeautified" rendering of the characters. Not just less pain for the animation supervisors, maybe. Guess it's all speculation...

Edit: WHY didn't I notice this very glaring detail earlier in the OP? I love following animation production politics!!

Spoiler for for bored people :):

Last edited by wao; 2006-07-10 at 12:08.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 12:31   Link #46
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I had trouble getting into the manga, but I liked the first ep of the anime quite a bit. It seemed like quality work all 'round to me. The serious portrayal works for me, as do the character design, the script and the voices, and the simple yet rich overall look. And Misaki is great, in character design (moe but not too moe), character, and voice acting (Makino Yui).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 15:22   Link #47
Sakuya
*Artist

I think episode 1 has been subbed by ADTRW. Can anyone make sure it's a sub?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 15:25   Link #48
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
I think episode 1 has been subbed by ADTRW. Can anyone make sure it's a sub?
Yes, it is. Check the ADTRW home page.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 16:28   Link #49
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Let's face it, OP is way better than ED. This good OP song is made me remindered summer.

Since Gonzo have the dark history, I have to worry the quality afterwards.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 16:56   Link #50
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

The ED was hilarious.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 17:24   Link #51
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I don't want to be burned by GONZO again. They are, for the most part, a bunch of gonzo bozoes.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 17:42   Link #52
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I don't want to be burned by GONZO again. They are, for the most part, a bunch of gonzo bozoes.
Get yourself some sets of "fire resistant gears" like Zero no Tsukaima, Akazukin, Ouran and such before watching this show directed by some Anno wannabe.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 18:08   Link #53
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I heard hikikomori is no longer a Japan-only phenomenon. We just don't call it that over here, but there are cases of teens shutting themelves away in their rooms for months and even years at a time.

I can really relate to Misaki in the manga, so I'm going to watch this. I love Satou.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 18:37   Link #54
Noodlehead
Noodlehead is not edible.

Hm, this may be a little random, as I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it...

But wasn't Jun from Rozen Maiden also a sufferer of hikikomori? I think that's when I first heard of the condition. His character was withdrawn from society and he spent all his time in his room ordering stuff online... anyway, not to get off topic, since Rozen Maiden is a different anime altogether.

On a more topic-oriented note, the premise of this series interested me. The thought of "Genshiken, but more serious" is promising. (By the way, is there going to be a second season for Genshiken?) Oh, and the opening theme is very nice. But can GONZO really pull this one off? Most of their recent works aren't exactly their "best". I wish they'd make more series like Last Exile and Gankutsuou...

~ Noodlehead
Noodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 19:37   Link #55
Kordox
Lover of all that is cute

Where can i buy the manga?
Kordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 19:48   Link #56
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordox
Where can i buy the manga?
I believe Tokyopop is releasing it.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 20:56   Link #57
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
It won't be out until October.
Mr VacBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 08:07   Link #58
DaFool
Resident devil

Wow this is surprisingly good. At first I thought, WTF is this (not seen the manga btw), but then the way they portray things no-holds-barred (i.e. annoying bishoujo anime / game music, the way Satou constantly has ero flashbacks of Misaki --- the tissue box: GENIUS!!! :P, the undiscipline that rules Japan's public schools)

I really like the animation character designs...so people said they don't compare with the manga (I haven't yet read all comments), but its still moe, and moreso because of its beautiful simplicity...this is definitely the soft digital style I was looking for. I thought at first Misaki = loli and Satou=lolikon but then later realized she's the one with the job, after all.

This is definitely a grabber for me, hopefully like how REC and Genshiken were so satisfying as fandom/industry-related shows. Now I won't too worry about Gonzo pulling this through the shits because
1.) This isn't a CG-intensive show
2.) It isn't an adventure show where visuals matter that much.
3.) The designs are simple enough that they shouldn't screw it too badly later on (well Speedgraphers designs were the simplest in the industry and yet they f-ud that one...oh well)
Anyways, I like Gonzo, they were the fan-driven studio that weren't ashamed to pull the punches. Granted, I was surprised to see them doing this and not JC Staff.

I'm a near-hikki myself, so I can identify with a lot of the things mentioned. I actually prefer the night shift with fewer people around because people don't energize, they drain. Though psychology tests proved otherwise, I dislike other people in general, usually mainstream people. Geeks and goths I can tolerate because I know that they know that society is a load of BS. I'm really questioning if it is indeed true that animation-->otakus-->unsocial. But I also realized I am very idealistic and just cannot tolerate a lot of the masks culture imposes, especially in the more conformist asian societies. I've read people do use female friends to get hikis out of the house. I feel sorry then for any female hikis, but perhaps there are none just like there are no goth girls where I live because women are socialized more. Sometimes I wish I were born female so I could be that caring friend that gives hope to low-social-status males who were intimidated by the patriarchal system of overachievement...but then I realize if I were born female I would have been socialized very differently and would probably have not been permitted to see the nether regions of society--so that I wouldn't gain the experience and realizations to have had such a desire in the first place.

Rozen Maiden was the first anime I believe that directly addressed this condition of hikikomori. Western societies because of their individualism should have less of this problem, but then you wonder...if there are 60%+ girls in schools (check the statistics), and the population is just slightly more boys...if those boys are not in school, just where the fuck are they and what are they doing.

Enough ranting...this is a good show. I understand now why adtrw speed-quality-subbed it.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-07-11 at 08:46.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 08:59   Link #59
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Seeing that the general comments are good enough, I think I'm going to watch the first episode sometime later.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 10:16   Link #60
Emil Scherbe

Are there anyone who loves ED outside Japan?

Overseas anime fans dislike rock?
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, psychological