AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-07-31, 17:00   Link #1361
Marion
The Great Dine

Thought I just post this here:

Hashihime did a blog post about the current popularity of summer anime shows and surveyed Animesuki on posts about the summer anime series.

Here are the numbers:

Spoiler for Under here:

WE WIN

-shot-
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 17:27   Link #1362
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Thought I just post this here:

Hashihime did a blog post about the current popularity of summer anime shows and surveyed Animesuki on posts about the summer anime series.

Here are the numbers:

Spoiler for Under here:

WE WIN

-shot-
This is just the new shows, though Umineko is probably the most popular of season even if sequels are included considering the most popular sequel of the season (haruhi) is a miserable failure.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 17:41   Link #1363
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Lol... there's a naive mistake in that list.

"18927" are pretty much ALL the posts that have been done in this WHOLE board, including the games discussions which are 2 years old.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 18:06   Link #1364
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Lol... there's a naive mistake in that list.

"18927" are pretty much ALL the posts that have been done in this WHOLE board, including the games discussions which are 2 years old.
We still win.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 18:48   Link #1365
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well if I sum all the posts of the threads that are tagged "anime" and character discussions I get around 1000 posts. However I didn't count the anime speculation threads because they existed from a while. I'm to lazy to count only the post done after the anime aired, but I guess they are around 200, so yeah we still win.

And I wonder if the spice and wolf count was done right, since it's the second seasons.

Old 2009-08-05, 11:18   Link #1366
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

I've realized an important fact... In the animé they made all the girls/womans/old ladies chest's much bigger... But they made Bern's smaller... Are they trying to tease her...? <_< And in that case... Will Lamda get a huuge chest as well?! O_O
Golden Witch Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 12:06   Link #1367
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Imho they are just going with the fetish standards. People who like mature women usually like huge breasts. People with loli complex usually prefer small breasts. Bern is more of a loli type so... I expect Lambda to be the same.

Old 2009-08-06, 06:03   Link #1368
sento

http://umineko.tv/web/main/teaparty/ep1.html

Oh, nice.
sento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 06:11   Link #1369
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I was about to post that. Well, it seems the anime-watchers will be supplied with information after all.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 11:45   Link #1370
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Levels the playng field a bit.
Old 2009-08-06, 11:51   Link #1371
Volcanic
fire of fires

Thank god. Now I can get my friend watching this with me off my back
Volcanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 12:01   Link #1372
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
On the tea party page, it lists dead / disappearance in red text.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 08:00   Link #1373
Snickripep
I like MUDKIPZ! :3

I really like the anime so far, but (compared to the visual novel) I feel like they rushed the beginning of the whole series too much.
:/
But other than that: I APPROVE!
Snickripep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 02:14   Link #1374
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Sorry for opening this thread since I don't think the other threads are right, but I was wondering, what other times has another studio completely picked up a finished anime and redid it? Do you think there is a plausible chance for Umineko at all, or is it wishful thinking and I should be happy for studio DEEN's bad adaptation since It's the only one?
Old 2009-12-14, 04:23   Link #1375
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Fullmetal Alchemist, I guess?

It's pretty much not going to happen for the Umineko anime, but you could always play the VN instead.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 07:56   Link #1376
Chadauw

The only one I know is Kanon, which is also an adaptation from a visual novel.

But... Don't be too optimistic.

(Fullmetal Alchemist is different, as both animes are by Bones)
Chadauw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 15:00   Link #1377
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Clannad could also be mentioned, 'though Toei made a movie and Kyoani made two series.

Well anyway the probability that such a thing will happen for Umineko is 1 on a quadrillion.

Old 2009-12-14, 15:04   Link #1378
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Clannad could also be mentioned, 'though Toei made a movie and Kyoani made two series.

Well anyway the probability that such a thing will happen for Umineko is 1 on a quadrillion.
Would be pretty handy to have Bernkastel here right about now...
Geekodot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 15:40   Link #1379
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

I feel weird about this. On the one hand, it'd be awesome if another series could pick it up and do it justice, as exceedingly unlikely as that may be...but at the same time, I've gotten so attached to the voices that - even if that's the only thing I feel is absolutely perfect with DEEN's adaptation - I'd feel weird if anyone had to be recast. I mean, retooling an entire Anime that's been done before is a huge enough risk and would be really expensive, but add to that hiring the same big name VA's that DEEN got...I just...can't imagine anyone but Sayaka Ohara as Beato, for instance, and even if everything else was perfect I feel like in the back of my mind I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it, just because I can now associate the existing voices when I read the VN as well.

That's probably a weird thing to say, I know, because most people would just be thankful for less QUALITY animation and a faithful plot...but I have a habit of attaching myself to a vocal cast as it is, and if I've seen a series in Japanese or dubbed, even if one is just as good as/better than the other, I stick to the one I got used to first (Higurashi for instance, I saw it first dubbed and watching Kai in Japanese just felt very weird to me). It shouldn't hinder my enjoyment of a series, but somehow, it does (Death Note had a pretty good dub in terms of the accurate script but the voice cast was so utterly horrible I couldn't stand to watch it in English), and I feel like even if another adaptation came along that was otherwise perfect...I'd still have something to complain about.

Hell, we may look at it as wishful thinking now, but if it happened, I'm sure most VN players would still complain about it. Most of us know no adaptation can be perfect - DEEN takes this to extremes, but still - and knowing the source material is invariably going to affect our opinion no matter what, even down to the stupid little details if the rest of the plot is perfect. God forbid they don't include this or that, or they make a music change, we've seen it all on this board...even if a new adaptation was made, no one would TRULY be happy.

I think we should all just stop with the wishful thinking and getting our hopes up for something that 99.99999999999% won't happen, and just enjoy what we've got. VN players have the VN, so if the Anime sucks, well, we don't need it to enjoy the series in our preferred format. Anime-only fans can end up getting into the VN if they feel unsatisfied with the Anime, and judging by posts here and the official DVD sales, I think the chances are high that this will happen. I'm thankful for DEEN's adaptation for two reasons - A) it has shown me, albeit few and far between, some of my favorite scenes done nicely in animated form, and B) exposure. If not for the Anime then we wouldn't have as many fans exposed to this excellent series as we do, and the chances they'll like it enough to read Ryukishi's original VN are pretty high. I know I would never have gotten into Higurashi without the Anime, which in turn made me interested in Umineko in the first place. I found the Manga and checked it out because I loved Higurashi. When the Anime was announced and I saw the first 3 episodes compared to the Manga as far as I'd read, and saw the complaints here, it drove me to download the demo of the VN and I liked it so much that I bought the DVD with the first 4 EPs. See? The Anime is important exposure in creating a fanbase, because - especially in the west - visual novels are not a hugely popular medium.

So yeah, DEEN's adaptation sucks on many levels, but I'm thankful for it. I have the VN and I know the true story, so even with all my complaints, it doesn't ruin the Anime for me and I won't abandon it, especially so close to the end. There have been many moments I've enjoyed, and the character designs and voice acting are big points for me because I can enjoy it on a level I couldn't with just the VN. I get to see actual animation - okay, so it's not the best, but it's better than still images - of scenes I could only imagine in the VN (some people prefer their imaginations, but I'm a very visual person). The little things like that are the reason I get excited to watch a new episode every week, and because I know I can come here and talk with the best Umineko community in the English-speaking world. Now sure, before the Anime came out, there was a niche of a fanbase with a lot of threads already, but without the Anime, would our community be as big as it is now? And without DEEN's desecration of Higurashi, would half of us even wanted to check out this obscure little visual novel in the first place?

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I feel like these are more than enough reasons to be thankful for the Anime as we have it now. Could we do better? Oh, I don't think even the most diehard Anime-only fan could disagree with that. But is what we have better than getting no Anime at all? In my opinion, it is. For all we complain about it, I think most of us (except one person I have in mind, won't say any names) should be able to say that we're thankful for at least some aspects of DEEN's adaptation, and that if nothing else, it has made the fanbase richer. Ryukishi himself has encouraged solving this mystery en masse, so what better a way to do it than to increase our number of allies as we face the witch? We're too focused on the negative. With only two episodes left, it's been a long road, but we're almost there. There's a lot to look back on over this season's development, and honestly there is as much that I'm pleased with as there is that I'm upset over. It's all in how you look at it, and to me, I'm thankful for this Anime for expanding our fanbase and introducing more fans to this excellent story.

TL;DR let's chill out and stop complaining so much about DEEN and blindly hoping for another studio to take it away from them, and just be thankful that Umineko has gotten an Anime adaptation at all.

[/rant]
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 16:17   Link #1380
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadauw View Post
(Fullmetal Alchemist is different, as both animes are by Bones)
The copyright holder has the most say in this. Square Enix wanted another run at FMA, so the remake came up.

Quote:
The Anime is important exposure in creating a fanbase
That's the main purpose of anime these days. It's advertising for the sponsors who put up money for the show, which is why making a good anime is secondary to the goal of promoting the source material and any associated merchandise.

Many things are completely out of the studio's control, such as episode counts, series scope, air dates, and budgets (i.e. if the sponsor asks for 9 volumes of manga to be squeezed into 12 episodes, too bad. If there's no budget for fight scenes, too bad. That's what the team works with as ignorant fans bitch on and on about adaptation liberties and rushed storytelling). Instead, they work within the limitations to the best of their ability.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote