AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 29 22.66%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 22.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-20, 15:55   Link #141
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
ADHD. CONFIRM!
No seriously, in two other Kyoani series there's a ADHD fella. Like:

Konata - Lucky Star
Fuko - CLANNAD

SO why not Yui??
I thought she just had concentration problems So yeah probably ADHD, a mild case at the most. But rather than that, I thought the summary for the series also included that "Yui was being recognized by her fellow band members as a possible guitar prodigy?"
Old 2009-04-20, 15:58   Link #142
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Perhaps when she actually starts playing something other than those chords and that little tiny riff she knows, she'll sound like Hendrix XD
Old 2009-04-20, 16:09   Link #143
stubby42

Having concentration issues doesnt mean they have ADHD (technically she only has ADD because shes not hyperactive), I have dyslexia and dyspraxia and those combiend factors make doing work very difficult so its easy to get distracted because not doing the work is a hell of alot easier than doing it.
Old 2009-04-20, 21:09   Link #144
Fandal

Wow, it's worse then I thought. But ya, Yui is smart but explaining this smartness has taken up 1/2 the posts on this topic.

In a way:
Mio + Mugi = Smart Yui

I'm not sure why they are doing basic algebra problems in the anime though....... From the manga and what Mugi said earlier, it sounded like they did more complicated stuff.

Now her sister Ui - she's just amazing.
Old 2009-04-20, 21:29   Link #145
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I've never really understand the fascination with evaluating the intelligence of a fictional character. I could theorize what Yui's airheadness comes down to in terms of character appeal and in fact do have some theories regarding the whole topic, but it's really just simpler to acknowledge that fictional characters portray whatever level of intellect the creators choose. Since there's no way to interact with a fictional character to gauge causes or to pick their brains then that's really what it comes down to.

I should warn against snap diagnoses of ADHD though. Apparently somehow someway doctors decided that I had ADHD despite the fact that I fit none of the criteria that are present in the DSM-IV section on it and in most cases am the exact opposite. If people really are curious here are the criteria for diagnosis that can be found in the DSM-IV.
Old 2009-04-20, 21:36   Link #146
Amber.Dawn

Why is everyone concerned about her intelligence?

So..uh, what's bad about ADHD?
Old 2009-04-20, 22:38   Link #147
ThoHell

I'm kind of interested in Yui's guitar, it looks like a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Electric Guitar. Did they every mention it? Anyways, I want to hear her playing some intense tunes soon!
Old 2009-04-20, 22:52   Link #148
Amber.Dawn

Pictures of their real life counterparts were shown several times, though I can't remember where in the forum.
Old 2009-04-20, 23:22   Link #149
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When asked Ui wanted to go to their school for High School. The impression is that is is a fairly good all girls school that is hard to get into (though they point out Yui managed to get it...so how hard can it be?). However if it is indeed a good school and require a fairly hard entrance test, then Yui may not be as dumb as she's made out to be. Even the general "spacey" characters such as Tsukasa and "Osaka" don't seem to get good grades and their high schools are likely average in quality (even if Kagami or Chiyo-chan also go there). Yui seems "spacey" but can focus. She even said that "this is easy once I focus on it", just she couldn't stay focused on it. The Guitar man...to calls to her. It wants her to learn an "x" cord, man. Just to be new and killer with metal, man.
Old 2009-04-21, 00:30   Link #150
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
When asked Ui wanted to go to their school for High School. The impression is that is is a fairly good all girls school that is hard to get into (though they point out Yui managed to get it...so how hard can it be?). However if it is indeed a good school and require a fairly hard entrance test, then Yui may not be as dumb as she's made out to be. Even the general "spacey" characters such as Tsukasa and "Osaka" don't seem to get good grades and their high schools are likely average in quality (even if Kagami or Chiyo-chan also go there). Yui seems "spacey" but can focus. She even said that "this is easy once I focus on it", just she couldn't stay focused on it. The Guitar man...to calls to her. It wants her to learn an "x" cord, man. Just to be new and killer with metal, man.
I'd dare say Nodoka was instrumental in getting Yui to focus on studying for the entrance exams, and thus getting into Sakurakou.

Last edited by Ascaloth; 2009-04-21 at 01:17.
Old 2009-04-21, 03:31   Link #151
EternalMelody
Panzergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I've never really understand the fascination with evaluating the intelligence of a fictional character. I could theorize what Yui's airheadness comes down to in terms of character appeal and in fact do have some theories regarding the whole topic, but it's really just simpler to acknowledge that fictional characters portray whatever level of intellect the creators choose. Since there's no way to interact with a fictional character to gauge causes or to pick their brains then that's really what it comes down to.

I should warn against snap diagnoses of ADHD though. Apparently somehow someway doctors decided that I had ADHD despite the fact that I fit none of the criteria that are present in the DSM-IV section on it and in most cases am the exact opposite. If people really are curious here are the criteria for diagnosis that can be found in the DSM-IV.
In comedy shows like this yeah it is not really important to gauge their intelligence levels. But that doesn't apply to every fictional character. In shows like Death Note or Code Geass this would be interesting because intelligence is a major factor in their (mind) battles.

The Sword Knight, Signum. I am the soul,
and the fiery demonic sword is Lævateinn

Old 2009-04-21, 08:15   Link #152
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Feeder system, people.
Affiliated schools usually do this - they set a slightly lower entry point for those from affiliated schools. Of course, this applies more to schools not under government governance.
Old 2009-04-21, 09:44   Link #153
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
I'm kind of interested in Yui's guitar, it looks like a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus Electric Guitar. Did they every mention it? Anyways, I want to hear her playing some intense tunes soon!
It is a bloody Gibson Les Paul*, but I think it is Honey Burst or something.

* - Yes I am jealous.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-04-21, 10:34   Link #154
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

While I was channelling Yui (aka epic procrastination from studying for exams) and rewatching this episode, I caught something I didn't notice before.

16:00-16:03 => The K-On girls enjoying their cake, when the doorbell rings signaling the arrival of Nodoka.

16:04-16:23 => Nodoka enter Yui's room where everyone is, and no more cake left.

Wow. Not only do these girls eat more than I do (and I'm a fairly big guy), they also polish off cake fast for no real reason. @_@
Old 2009-04-21, 14:05   Link #155
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is a bloody Gibson Les Paul*, but I think it is Honey Burst or something.

* - Yes I am jealous.
It's a "Standard" by looking at the marking on it but it looks exactly like the "Traditional" model
Old 2009-04-21, 15:52   Link #156
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber.Dawn View Post
Pictures of their real life counterparts were shown several times, though I can't remember where in the forum.
Lol the keyboardist, was her name Mugi I think? Her eyebrows were a direct relation, possibly parody towards Yamaha's executive owner.
Old 2009-04-21, 18:02   Link #157
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
While I was channelling Yui (aka epic procrastination from studying for exams) and rewatching this episode, I caught something I didn't notice before.

16:00-16:03 => The K-On girls enjoying their cake, when the doorbell rings signaling the arrival of Nodoka.

16:04-16:23 => Nodoka enter Yui's room where everyone is, and no more cake left.

Wow. Not only do these girls eat more than I do (and I'm a fairly big guy), they also polish off cake fast for no real reason. @_@
oh that's easy - they were afraid Nodoka would steal their cake

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-04-21, 18:31   Link #158
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
oh that's easy - they were afraid Nodoka would steal their cake
My thoughts exactly.

Nice avatar, by the way...

Old 2009-04-21, 19:24   Link #159
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Nice avatar, by the way...
ahah yours too :3

I think we may have a mio-for-world-domination problem D:

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-04-21, 22:06   Link #160
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Holy hell; I have to break this mirror combo or I'm going to get dizzy the next time I run through this page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post

Women have their thing with sweets; I think they actually just absorbed the cake...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Closed Thread