AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-08-24, 08:20   Link #1
Dark Sasuke_101
Prince DS

Compressing or spliting a 500+ MB file

I'm trying to find a way to squeeze a 536 MB MKV file to either 100MB or 200MB. Can you help me?
Old 2012-08-24, 17:27   Link #2
problemedchild
ô_ô

Are you talking about splitting the file into chunks of 200 MB or compressing a 500 MB file into 200 MB?

Assuming you want to split the file, any program such as 7Zip will do the trick. Just right click the file > add to archive and choose your size.

If you're talking about making a 500 MB into a 200 MB one, you're SOL. There's no way to compress that.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 20:06   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
If you're talking about making a 500 MB into a 200 MB one, you're SOL. There's no way to compress that.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. You could re-encode the file with a different, more lossy codec than H.264 and scale down the size of the video. A 720x400 frame has only about 14% of the information contained in a 1920x1080 frame. But in general, no, there's no way you'll be able to reduce the size of the file and still preserve the resolution and video quality.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 20:30   Link #4
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You could re-encode the file with a different, more lossy codec than H.264 and scale down the size of the video.
H.264 encoding with x264 is currently the best you can do. You don't switch to a "more lossy codec" - you just tell x264 to use less bitrate/lower quality.

Any GUI will do (RipBot, HandBrake, MeGUI etc.).
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 20:36   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post

Second on Handbrake... I use it most of the time... but it's more of compreesing mp4 formated videos.... I often convert HQ animes to LQ (from 80MB to 60MB....sometimes as low as 30MB) but you'll risk the quality.... really
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 06:53   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
H.264 encoding with x264 is currently the best you can do. You don't switch to a "more lossy codec" - you just tell x264 to use less bitrate/lower quality.

So if you had a 500 MB file that you wanted to reduce to 200 MB, would you suggest reducing the bitrate and keeping the size of the frames constant, or would you scale down the size of the frames and try to maintain bitrate?
Old 2012-08-25, 07:08   Link #7
sneaker

Bitrate (bits/second) and filesize are proportional, if you go from 500 MB to 200 MB filesize, the bitrate will decrease by the same factor.

But yes, it can sometimes be a good idea to reduce the resolution when going for lower bitrates.
Old 2012-08-25, 07:13   Link #8
spikexp

What is the length of the video and resolution?
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 10:38   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Bitrate (bits/second) and filesize are proportional, if you go from 500 MB to 200 MB filesize, the bitrate will decrease by the same factor.

But yes, it can sometimes be a good idea to reduce the resolution when going for lower bitrates.
Yes, I understand all that. That's why I asked the question. If you were going to reduce, say, a 500 MB 1080p file, would you simply reduce the bitrate and keep the same frame sizes, or would you first scale down the size of the video and try to keep the bitrate as high as possible?

Reducing frame sizes should have a quadratic relationship to file sizes, since we're talking about an area (e.g., 1920x1080) rather than a linear stream. As I mentioned above, a 720x400 frame with 288,000 pixels is just 14% of the 2.07 million pixels in a 1080p frame. That suggests to me that cutting the frame sizes would be a better starting point for reducing the size of the file. Am I wrong?
Old 2012-08-25, 12:52   Link #10
Dark Sasuke_101
Prince DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
Are you talking about splitting the file into chunks of 200 MB or compressing a 500 MB file into 200 MB?

Assuming you want to split the file, any program such as 7Zip will do the trick. Just right click the file > add to archive and choose your size.

Well, I did that but I'm looking for a conversion sit that allows 300MB files.
Old 2012-08-25, 12:56   Link #11
Dark Sasuke_101
Prince DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
What is the length of the video and resolution?
10 mins and the Resolution is 264.
Old 2012-08-25, 18:58   Link #12
sneaker

Quote:
Yes, I understand all that. That's why I asked the question. If you were going to reduce, say, a 500 MB 1080p file, would you simply reduce the bitrate and keep the same frame sizes, or would you first scale down the size of the video and try to keep the bitrate as high as possible?
Again: bitrate is bits per second. Resolution is not in that formula, so what you're saying does not make sense. I understand what you're trying to say, though, and yes, it might be a good idea to reduce resolution when going for low bitrates, since H.264 might lose efficiency.

Quote:
Reducing frame sizes should have a quadratic relationship to file sizes, since we're talking about an area (e.g., 1920x1080) rather than a linear stream. As I mentioned above, a 720x400 frame with 288,000 pixels is just 14% of the 2.07 million pixels in a 1080p frame. That suggests to me that cutting the frame sizes would be a better starting point for reducing the size of the file. Am I wrong?
No, since we're not talking about uncompressed video, but about (lossy) compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sasuke_101 View Post
Well, I did that but I'm looking for a conversion sit that allows 300MB files.
As already pointed out: get a video compression GUI of your choice (like e.g. RipBot), set it to the filesize you want to achieve and let it do its work.
Old 2012-08-26, 00:48   Link #13
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

yes you can decrease the filesize but at the cost of slightly to noticeable quality loss depending on how much you compress it (or reduce its bitrate) and lowering the resolution is a good idea when reducing bitrate

if your motivated to learn try Handbrake here is a guide i made for mini-size encoding of fansubs - https://sites.google.com/site/taumox/handbrake-tutorial

or if you want more simplier method try my custom GUI for Handbrkae Cyko - https://sites.google.com/site/taumox/cyko-tutorial

P.S. im no expert btw im just a regular reader of basic video encoding (doom9, doom10, animesuki fansub section)

Last edited by j0x; 2012-08-26 at 01:03.
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 15:04   Link #14
Dark Sasuke_101
Prince DS

Quote:
Again: bitrate is bits per second. Resolution is not in that formula, so what you're saying does not make sense. I understand what you're trying to say, though, and yes, it might be a good idea to reduce resolution when going for low bitrates, since H.264 might lose efficiency.

No, since we're not talking about uncompressed video, but about (lossy) compression.

As already pointed out: get a video compression GUI of your choice (like e.g. RipBot), set it to the filesize you want to achieve and let it do its work.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0x View Post
yes you can decrease the filesize but at the cost of slightly to noticeable quality loss depending on how much you compress it (or reduce its bitrate) and lowering the resolution is a good idea when reducing bitrate

if your motivated to learn try Handbrake here is a guide i made for mini-size encoding of fansubs - https://sites.google.com/site/taumox/handbrake-tutorial

or if you want more simplier method try my custom GUI for Handbrkae Cyko - https://sites.google.com/site/taumox/cyko-tutorial

P.S. im no expert btw im just a regular reader of basic video encoding (doom9, doom10, animesuki fansub section)

Thanks a ton, guys. Now, I just need to resize it.