Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 13:34   Link #561
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Really? you guys (people in US) is lucky have service like crunchy and netflix, at these days most of high profile anime have legal streaming in crunchy, TAN, or funi. We're here outside that kind of service are finished if all kind of "illegal" ways blocked. The worst thing is some of us willing to pay if those kind of service available for us.
True, maybe I should rephrase. Sucks for ME. I have very little money(I don't even own a TV). The only way I get to view anything is through the internet. I couldn't even begin to afford the subscription rates for Netflix and such(Especially after their huge spike in rate).

And then for every licensed anime, there are like5 that go unlicensed that I like to watch.

Last edited by TigerII; 2012-01-24 at 16:56.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:48   Link #562
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Some news about Poles against ACTA:

Poles protest ACTA online and on the streets

And here's some info about pages attacked by the hackers from Anonymous (from here)
Quote:
After the documents on ACTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Co...rade_Agreement) went official, Polish internet users started to mobilize. Word was spread rapidly and in a few hours over 145,000 people (the number is growing every minute) have joined the facebook event "stop acta" - http://www.facebook.com/events/301294013254264/

At the same time, Anonymous has taken down a number of Polish websites including government ones - https://twitter.com/#!/AnonymousWiki...88127525507072

But it's not only Anonymous. Some simple instructions + JS web applications allowed thousands of people from Poland to DDoS those websites on their own.

Around 9pm, prime minister's website went down too - http://premier.gov.pl/

10pm (pretty much right now), http://prezydent.pl/ and http://mkidn.gov.pl/ (Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage) stopped working.

Government officials are explaining the situation using the standard "technical difficulties" excuse.
And the best comment for those blackouts was given by our Prime Minister: "The sites are down because they're so popular and the traffic on them was too big for the servers to handle"

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:57   Link #563
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Solidarity with our Polish brothers and sisters.

Unfortunately I can't really do much.

Mind, I actually knew -- and was rather perturbed -- by ACTA long before SOPA/PIPA even existed. The negotiations took some years, and a series of "rounds" of discussions, with disturbingly little public input. Among the greatest supporters of the treaty were, naturally, the USA and Japan, two first-world powers with strong intellectual copyright "investments."

I thought it was half-dead for a while when the Mexican senate unanimously raised a middle finger to the whole proceedings ("damned Americans") and the EU Parliament basically said it wasn't at all fond of any of this. But apparently the push is stronger than ever, especially now that the Internet has awakened and dared to fight back.

So fight on, Poland.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 19:00   Link #564
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if that will set off a new wave of Polish jokes from the Entertainers in Hollywood?
Old 2012-01-24, 19:03   Link #565
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Shame it won't do anything. Corporations will win this fight in the end. So far it is mainly American media ones, but I would assume Japanese corporations will partner with American ones eventually.

This site will eventually just be a forums.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 19:26   Link #566
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Shame it won't do anything. Corporations will win this fight in the end. So far it is mainly American media ones, but I would assume Japanese corporations will partner with American ones eventually.

This site will eventually just be a forums.
DON'T jinx it, dammit. And heck like I'd follow US Laws. I ain't a citizen of the US and the internet isn't the US. So the US Congress and Hollywood can just kiss my proud Filipino ass. I'll pirate Bourne Legacy the day it comes out.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 21:25   Link #567
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
DON'T jinx it, dammit. And heck like I'd follow US Laws. I ain't a citizen of the US and the internet isn't the US. So the US Congress and Hollywood can just kiss my proud Filipino ass. I'll pirate Bourne Legacy the day it comes out.
Good for you, if only I was that fortunae.....I am a US citizen.
Old 2012-01-24, 21:52   Link #568
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
Some news about Poles against ACTA:

Poles protest ACTA online and on the streets

And here's some info about pages attacked by the hackers from Anonymous (from here)

And the best comment for those blackouts was given by our Prime Minister: "The sites are down because they're so popular and the traffic on them was too big for the servers to handle"
I thought Poland is no longer communist or part of the USSR.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 00:21   Link #569
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

We can't give up yet. I'm sure that if one of these DO pass, or get signed, and people start seeing the inminent rain of feces all over their heads, they'll hit the streets.
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 00:30   Link #570
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it gets passed, and if it gets signed (or vetoed and passes anyway somehow), it will get fought in the courts first. If it gets past that...well I don't know what to say.
Old 2012-01-25, 01:17   Link #571
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Now, I think I've made it more than clear that I'm a radical, black-hearted, black-bearded, cigar-smoking terror of the seven seas scullery scum with questionable understanding on the sacred and divinely ordained Natural Right of intellectual property. And pro-Google. Aarr.

But sometimes things in the real world do get a bit complicated. Like this proposed legislation over in fairyland Europa.

No, it's not ACTA. The attitude driving this legislation is entirely different. We've seen its like before back when the European Union was making all sorts of ruckus with Microsoft.

Excerpts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Times
Europe is considering a sweeping new law that would force Internet companies like Amazon.com and Facebook to obtain explicit consent from consumers about the use of their personal data, delete that data forever at the consumer’s request and face fines for failing to comply.

The regulation would compel Web sites to tell consumers why their data is being collected and retain it for only as long as necessary. If data is stolen, sites would have to notify regulators within 24 hours. It also offers consumers the right to transport their data from one service to another — to deactivate a Facebook account, for example, and take one’s trove of pictures and posts and contacts to Google Plus.

The proposed law strikes at the heart of some of the knottiest questions governing digital life and commerce: who owns personal data, what happens to it once it is posted online, and what the proper balance is between guarding privacy and leveraging that data to aim commercial or political advertising at ordinary people.

Many netizens (sigh, "netizens," I hate the jargon of the blogosphe-... oh #^%$) would instinctively support this privacy legislation or at least its overall intent, while their -- our -- corporate allies in the Battle of the 18th would actually oppose it on similar grounds as with their noble struggle against SOPA/PIPA -- dreadful inconvenience to their business -- though not with similar rhetoric. They can't exactly say "Don't Censor the Internet" for this one and rally the great masses to revolution against, err, privacy.

So what are your thoughts?

(As for my opinion, I just find it all a bit of lulz).
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-25, 01:32   Link #572
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Europe, early on, has told business in Europe that the right of the individual to control their privacy outweighs a business's desire to make a profit. This is more of that concern. The US, sadly, sided with business over their citizens. The Fourth Amendment applies to governments... but not to corporations mining data and then losing it to Identity thieves.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:49   Link #573
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
So, basically the EU is looking at 2 pieces of legislation that kinda contradict each other.

At least having that kind of legislation even proposed here (never mind even passing committee) would be fucking amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
You know, that reminds me of a joke I posted on facebook.

The future of the internet;

-Corporations force government passes tracking and takedown laws
-Takes down major sites
-Anonymous get tons of pro hackers, takes down entire government servers, wiping them out
-Revolution starts
-World governments collapse
-In 2 centuries we will call this the "Great Idiot War"

Problem is, while this whole thing seems completely outrageous (as it should be), this actually looks like the direction we are going in. Damn

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos

Last edited by speedyexpress48; 2012-01-27 at 04:06.
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 07:16   Link #574
Kyuu
=^^=

Here's an interesting Infographic pertaining the long history of media, censorship, etc.

http://matadornetwork.com/change/inf...ng-about-sopa/
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote