AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-02-15, 22:20   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Headphones: only work on one side

It may or may not be inevitable but I might need new headphoes but jus tin case I don't, how do I fix the ones that only work on one side? I guess I put too much pressure on the wire and thats it can onyl work one side now. How can fix this?
Old 2011-02-17, 11:44   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
You can't. It's a problem with the wire and it probably isn't your fault, it can happen overtime.
Old 2011-02-17, 11:57   Link #3
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

If you really want to fix them, you'd have to find the break in the wire (usually the spot where you can bend / twist the cord to make them work, or at least make a "pop" or static), open / cut / strip the cord, and either solder them back together, or just twist them together and pop a wire nut over the join to hold it.

That's assuming it's not broken off in the headset itself, of course, in which case you'd have to open your headphones. If they're not costly, it's usually not worth the hassle.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 14:04   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Repairing a broken wire on a pair of headphones is usually a lot of trouble. The wires are thin and coated in a type of lacquer that makes them repel solder like crazy, and burning the lacquer off without setting the wire itself on fire is difficult. The lacquer makes them non-conductive (it serves the purpose of insulation while retaining maximum flexibility) so you can't just twist them together.

I wouldn't bother repairing headphones unless they're expensive ($200+) and are designed in such a way that facilitates relatively easy recabling. I had a pair of Etymotic Research hf5 in-ear phones, and the cable went dead on one side because of the way I constantly wrapped them around my MP3 player instead of putting them in their case as I should have. They weren't designed with user-replaceable cables, and my attempt to cut the wire above the damage and put a new plug on them failed due to the thin, lacquered wires. $150 down the drain.

So yeah, unless they're full-size, expensive headphones where you can easily access the solder points on the drivers themselves, I wouldn't bother. If they have replaceable cables, just buy a new cable (a lot of high-end universals and most custom IEMs have replaceable cables).
Old 2011-02-17, 22:17   Link #5
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I guess I'll just have to find a new one as suppose.