AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-02-18, 21:22   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Question about AMD CPU

I was under the impression that the Phenom II X4, with four cores and a clock speed of 3.2 GHz, had four cores operating at 3.2 GHz. Like four CPUs in one. But I heard someone say something about it that suggests things are different than that. Could someone tell me the nature of this CPU, what the 3.2 GHz means, and what exactly does it mean to have four cores. Is it really like four 3.2 GHz CPUs in one when four cores are being used? When one core is being used, does it run at 3.2 GHz?
Old 2011-02-19, 00:23   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. A quad core CPU is like having four single core CPU's.

2. Every core runs at 3.2GHz. That means, every 3.2 billionths of a second, a core does something. If a single core is doing something, it is still doing it 3.2 billion times a second.

This should answer your questions, I'll try to explain CPU's to you in more detail if you want though.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 00:45   Link #3
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Every core runs at 3.2GHz.
Does AMD have an equivalent to Intel's "Turbo Boost" (ack, marketese...) where cores can dynamically increase their clock speed when the rest of the chip is doing less work?
Old 2011-02-19, 01:57   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Thanks Random. Some schmuck I talked to on tech support today said that it is 3.2 GHz combined for four cores on that CPU. Also, he didn't help me. Also, he was getting annoyed with me when all I did was ask like three questions, hoping he could help me (and again, he was of no help whatsoever). I don't like that man.

Simon: I hear that the Phenom II X6 CPUs have turbo boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (although I think someone told me that in this forum).
Old 2011-02-19, 02:41   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

They do, but it's considerably less effective than Intel's, and I think only a few AMD CPUs have it.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 09:28   Link #6
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Does AMD have an equivalent to Intel's "Turbo Boost" (ack, marketese...) where cores can dynamically increase their clock speed when the rest of the chip is doing less work?
Phenom II ###T chips have turbo. The current implementation is much less effective than Intel's, having only one Turbo mode which boosts by 500MHz when half the cores are active.
The Bulldozer based chips (at least the server ones) have a much better Turbo system. When all the cores are active, it seems to work like the PowerTune stuff from AMD's GPU's, boosting cores until hitting TDP. The cool thing about this is that since a chip is never normally truly 100% active (all transistors firing at once), even with all cores "fully" loaded, will be boosted by several hundred MHz under normal conditions.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote