AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-02-20, 02:17   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Some issues/questions regarding my old HD

I'm planning to buy a new laptop in the coming weeks so I'm also getting an HD enclosure for my old laptop's HD, saves me the need to transfer files and stuff. Thing is I'm a bit of a lazy bastard, and I don't feel like reinstalling and transferring all of my files to the new laptop's HD, especially those programs where I can no longer find the installations discs and transferring save files. My old laptop is running XP so naturally I'm gonna want W7.

I'm naturally going to have issues with wanting to run programs out of my old laptop, especially those that will not absolutely run when not recognized in the registry, and I'm lazy to manually register them individually. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a program or method that would either:

1. Allow the new OS to run the programs out of the old enclosed HD and recognize them as installed programs without registry issues, and without having to boot up the OS on the old HD just to run the programs installed natively on it.

2. Allow me to transfer and basically "install" said programs from my old HD to the new HD, without using a fresh reinstall from the source discs many of which I no longer have.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 07:08   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The best idea I could think of is just simply run it from the executable in the old HD. Otherwise I can't think of any program like that exists.

I run W7 64-bit. Most of the stuff from my XP32 didn't work, so I have to reinstall them anyway. There isn't exactly a hard and fast way to program retention unless both OS-es are exactly identical.

P.S If you are getting yourself a custom laptop, let me know if your provider does a good job or not.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 08:00   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I do understand that programs that do not natively run on W7 will be an issue so I'll just have to reinstall them and fiddle with the settings or abandon them altogether. I'm currently trying to circumnavigate the issue of programs that can run in both XP and W7 but need to be recognized by by the new OS as installed for said new OS.

On the other hand I could just man it up and just make a list of the essentials I still use and just reinstall them all, but I'm lazy!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 08:07   Link #4
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
On the other hand I could just man it up and just make a list of the essentials I still use and just reinstall them all, but I'm lazy!
If you use the computer for photoshop, Maya, cracking or MMOs, make a backup of all your essential files (picture/photos, songs, documents). Then chart a list of programs you want to install (I have a list of 10, for you I think 5 should be enough).

Usually you can run 2 installers at one time, but you risk the system crashing. Also, that does not include the drivers, so installing them all should take around 1-1.5 hours.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 10:11   Link #5
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Try running old executables off the old HDD, if they work they work if they don't they don't. Options after that are reinstall stuff or make a p2v VM of your old Windows install. The VM option means that you will have the overhead of running your old Windows install on top of your current one.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 15:24   Link #6
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Even better, install things only when you actually need to use them - if you're anything like me, you'll find that a lot of the what you have installed now you can live without. A new machine is a great chance to start clean, but bulk-reinstalling will deny you the benefits.

Also, if the apps are that old then chances are there are later versions / better alternatives out there. Even if you don't care about new features, ask yourself this: how many of the apps on your old machine have unpatched security holes or data corruption bugs? I don't know the answer either, but I'll wager it isn't zero.