AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-02, 18:33   Link #721
Keahi19

HMMM does anyone think this will officially come to the US? Or only by sites and such.
Old 2008-09-02, 19:37   Link #722
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
Well, judging from Kakuzawa's story with Lucy's mother, it's hard to make a male diclonius, so probably LucyxKouta will have also all female childs. (looking like lucy of course)
I would assume that a true diclonius like Lucy would have children at about the same male-female ratio as anyone else. The father determines the sex and a father who is not infected with the vector virus should have a slightly better chance of having male children than female. Kakuzawa's only child with Lucy's mother was a male, so it couldn't have been that hard. And we don't really know if she had children before Lucy and, if so, what their sex was. For all we know Lucy could have 2 or 3 older brothers. Perhaps we will get a little more info in chapter 107. There is some dialog by someone who was in a position to know in the extended manga chapter.
Old 2008-09-02, 20:52   Link #723
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I would assume that a true diclonius like Lucy would have children at about the same male-female ratio as anyone else. The father determines the sex and a father who is not infected with the vector virus should have a slightly better chance of having male children than female. Kakuzawa's only child with Lucy's mother was a male, so it couldn't have been that hard. And we don't really know if she had children before Lucy and, if so, what their sex was. For all we know Lucy could have 2 or 3 older brothers. Perhaps we will get a little more info in chapter 107. There is some dialog by someone who was in a position to know in the extended manga chapter.
Ups, my bad. You're are certainly right.

Now this is only my supposition, but if diclonious social structure is supposed to be like that of bees, I mean, with one queen (Lucy) and many subordinates (slipelits), then its logical to think that most children will be females with no reproductive abilities, with the minority (probably one or two) being males in order to keep the species ongoing. Or at least, the same male-female ratio but 99% of them would have no reproductive abilities.
But thinking about my own idea, it won't work .
Old 2008-09-02, 23:54   Link #724
PastPrime

Quote:
Ups, my bad. You're are certainly right.

Now this is only my supposition, but if diclonious social structure is supposed to be like that of bees, I mean, with one queen (Lucy) and many subordinates (slipelits), then its logical to think that most children will be females with no reproductive abilities, with the minority (probably one or two) being males in order to keep the species ongoing. Or at least, the same male-female ratio but 99% of them would have no reproductive abilities.
But thinking about my own idea, it won't work .
The original diclonius appear to have not had the virus. I suspect that the virus was never meant to be used to create vector virus diclonius. That it's true purpose was to insure that Lucy's children were just as much diclonius as she was. And each generation after that. That way the diclonius would not lose their power again from mating with normal humans and eventually everyone would be diclonius.
Old 2008-09-03, 15:55   Link #725
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Quote:
The original diclonius appear to have not had the virus. I suspect that the virus was never meant to be used to create vector virus diclonius. That it's true purpose was to insure that Lucy's children were just as much diclonius as she was. And each generation after that. That way the diclonius would not lose their power again from mating with normal humans and eventually everyone would be diclonius.
Indeed. I wonder if Lucy would have infected Kouta if a proper situation was presented. She'll be between the end of her kind and the probability (high probabilities) of bringing to the world a new generation of potential mass murderers. I think the first is what she would choose.
Old 2008-09-03, 18:01   Link #726
PastPrime

Quote:
Indeed. I wonder if Lucy would have infected Kouta if a proper situation was presented. She'll be between the end of her kind and the probability (high probabilities) of bringing to the world a new generation of potential mass murderers. I think the first is what she would choose.
Everyone is a potential mass murderer under the right circumstances. If Kakuzawa had not intercepted her mother and she had been taken out of the orphanage and raise, it is unlikely that she would have developed a voice telling her to kill. And, if she had grown up in a loving home instead of the orphanage she would have probably had a personality a lot like Nyu. She became a mass murderer because Kakuzawa wanted her too. There is nothing to indicate that the original diclonius killed large numbers of people. Instead they married normal humans and eventually lost their powers. And there was nothing said of the vector virus diclonius that had appeared from time to time killing or infecting people. It was said that they disappeared after one generation because they were sterile. It was only Kakuzawa who wanted to kill off normal humans.
Old 2008-09-03, 18:54   Link #727
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Quote:
Everyone is a potential mass murderer under the right circumstances. If Kakuzawa had not intercepted her mother and she had been taken out of the orphanage and raise, it is unlikely that she would have developed a voice telling her to kill. And, if she had grown up in a loving home instead of the orphanage she would have probably had a personality a lot like Nyu. She became a mass murderer because Kakuzawa wanted her too. There is nothing to indicate that the original diclonius killed large numbers of people. Instead they married normal humans and eventually lost their powers. And there was nothing said of the vector virus diclonius that had appeared from time to time killing or infecting people. It was said that they disappeared after one generation because they were sterile. It was only Kakuzawa who wanted to kill off normal humans.
Kakuzawa said the original diclonious were hunted down but he doesn't mention if they went berserk or not. They could have killed lots of humans too, but we don't know that. And about the mass murderer, well, yes everyone can be one. What I tried to say was that it's not the same to have a child who buys a gun and goes berserk, kills a few, gets arrested and end of story, than having a child that goes berserk, uses his/her vectors to kill hundreds, nobody can stop him/her since he/she has power similar to the mother (Lucy) and the story ends in a nice apocalyptic picture of a planet that was once called "earth" .
I'm talking more about possibilities and potential results. Besides, having a nice home it's not all, there are a number of factors to be considered like school for example.
Old 2008-09-05, 10:56   Link #728
SidVicious
Anime addict

Chapter 107 is out.
Old 2008-09-05, 15:33   Link #729
Yorae_paladin1

sad ye happy chappy and thus concludes elfen lied
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Old 2008-09-05, 16:16   Link #730
10PercentLuck

Great manga.
I've browsed through the 37 pages of this thread, and I'm grateful to all the insight the other members offered.
This is definitely my favorite manga of all time.
I even went out and bought 6/12 comics I found.

Last edited by 10PercentLuck; 2008-09-05 at 16:19. Reason: To clear up what I meant by "37 pages"
Old 2008-09-05, 16:42   Link #731
Mariko Kurama
Asakura Ryoko fanboy

And with 107 out, thats the end of that. Great manga.
Old 2008-09-05, 17:57   Link #732
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Finally. Now on this chapter.

Spoiler for Last chapter - Revelations! Muahaha:

And for my last few comments:
Best character of the story: Kanae! She's sooooooooo~ cute! And when Kouta didn't believe her for me it was like if someone just stabbed my heart
Favourite Quote - Lucy:"Well, did you like loosing someone important?" Revenge is a word I like.
Best part of the story: 1.The zoo (flashback) 2.Train assasination (flashback) 3. KoutaxYuka in the shrine in that rainy day

Sorry, I'm bored so I just wrote what first came to mind

EDIT: I just realized the manga I was following has just ended. And with it, this thread is probably going to die... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! what am I going to do now!?

Last edited by Deadwings; 2008-09-05 at 19:37. Reason: nonsense
Old 2008-09-05, 18:17   Link #733
Dark Mage

I didnt really get the ending. Here are my questions-
So does Nana become her Dad's wife and that means he didnt die? then what was the cemetery about?
Bantou didnt die after being cut off from the waist or is that an illusion?
Who were those twins?
Why was Kohta smiling at the end when he turned around as if he heard and saw somethung good?
So in the end there was no reincarnation of Lucy?
please somebody explain to me these coz I dont get them
Old 2008-09-05, 18:52   Link #734
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
I didnt really get the ending. Here are my questions-
So does Nana become her Dad's wife and that means he didnt die? then what was the cemetery about?
Bantou didnt die after being cut off from the waist or is that an illusion?
Who were those twins?
Why was Kohta smiling at the end when he turned around as if he heard and saw somethung good?
So in the end there was no reincarnation of Lucy?
please somebody explain to me these coz I dont get them
Spoiler for Chapter 107:
Wow so its finally over....Always hard to say how one feels at the end of the road. From anime to manga this has been one incredible ride. A lot of victims and tragic situations. Yet there were some bright spots and good times to be had. Also plenty of deep discussions surrounding the characters. Blame, revenge, forgiveness, love, and so many other things made up this adventure.
Old 2008-09-05, 18:58   Link #735
Shabazza
transcendental

Those twins are probably Lucy and Nyu to answer your last 3 questions.

Although the other ones beat me.
Another question: Why the hell does Kurama have 2 arms? Didn't Lucy ripped off his right arm in one of the chapters before?
Old 2008-09-05, 19:02   Link #736
Yorae_paladin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza View Post
Those twins are probably Lucy and Nyu to answer your last 3 questions.

Although the other ones beat me.
Another question: Why the hell does Kurama have 2 arms? Didn't Lucy ripped off his right arm in one of the chapters before?
Cyber prostetic arm I think
"I do not hate you. I do not think your a monster just another species trying to live like us humans. If there is a monster in this world its nature itself for wanting and allowing spectacles of death and destruction."

Neo Human Angelus Von Doom to Abyssal Riful before there battle. My fic saga revelations of the past title Advent Rising
Old 2008-09-05, 21:14   Link #737
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Though not an avid follower of the manga, I found the series sobering. If I can only take away one lesson, it's that quote from Spiderman: "With great power comes great responsibility".

I personally see Lucy as someone who possessed great destructive power (even if she had not wanted it) and was egged on her killing spree by it. An average human kid, subjected to her abuse, may snap and kill a few people. But, Lucy and her powers meant that the deed was magnified many times over. At the end of it, she was the one who chose to kill, without mercy or whatsoever.
Old 2008-09-05, 22:28   Link #738
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Well probably a topic that has been discussed a good number of times now.

@yezhanquan: that phrase is infinitely right, but it depends on circumstances. I don't think you can put Peter Parker (Spiderman), an already mature man capable of making a good evaluation of the situation, and a kid of 3/4/5 years, who's just begining to understand the meaning of responsability, at the same level.

No doubt that Lucy did choose killing everyone in her sight at the end, but her problem/anger/etc should be tracked to the beginning of her life. A small child can be deeply afected by almost every single situation presented to him/her, and Lucy had many of those.
I'm also of the ones who thinks that one is responsible for almost every action in his/her life, but seing extreme cases (even if fictional) makes me reconsider this. In the real world, give a 3 year old boy a knive/gun/machine gun/nuke (Yeah a nuke hehe) and I don't think he'd understand the difference between all of them, he'll just see them as tools of releasing his anger, a completly natural behavior. Same for vectors. A kid needs to be taught about proper anger control, the difference between good an evil, limits, etc etc etc. With Lucy's basis it's obvious that something like this would happen, and once she got used to vectors when little, there was no reason for her to stop using them when she grew up. Once a tree grows bent, it stays bent forever.

So definitely Lucy is at fault, but I won't condemn her for that.
Old 2008-09-05, 23:19   Link #739
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Agreed. There's two sides to everyone. Lucy may have committed mass murder, but she has a tender and gentle side, which is more than what I can say for Sandalphon from Angel Sanctuary. Also, she was tortured emotionally by her deeds.

Both Elfen Lied and Angel Sanctuary convinced me that given enough power, a child-like person can become a tyrant.
Old 2008-09-06, 00:14   Link #740
PastPrime

I have been waiting for chapter 107 to come out to reply on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
Don't rag on Yuka if Nyuu was alive she would give up Kouta in fact the manga did state Yuka would given Kouta up to Nyuu if he indeed her loves her best yes Yuka would be hurt but she would know when to give up.
I wonder if that will carry over to the twins. I don't see them trying to take Kouta from Yuka since that would be betraying their friendship with Nyu and their older friendship with Yuka. And, given their memories of their past life, they would never betray a friend. And, there would be the question of which one would marry him. But it is quite possible that when they are older Kouta will fall in love with them again.

And here are a couple of pictures, the first from chapter 105.

Notice that, although seen from a different angle, they are in the same position relative to each other with almost the same expressions. The twin who had been Nyu is answering. I don't think that means she is Kaede since I suspect that it is all the other twin can do to keep from crying. She remembered Kouta telling her that he hated her and could never forgive her. But his reaction to the note showed that he didn't hate her and he had forgiven her. I really think that the twins set things up for Nyu to go with him that year and find the note because they wanted to know for sure how Kouta felt about Lucy.

And I think that the only way for a pair of diclonius twins to be free would be if they had a diclonius parent. So I think that, biologically at least, they are Lucy's nieces. One was named after Lucy and the other was probably named after Lucy's mother, the mother and sister that the diclonius parent probably thought had died when they were very young.

I would have loved to see everyones reaction when Kouta and Nyu returned with the Twins. For Yuka knowing that her biggest rivals for Kouta's affection no longer shared a body and would be 18 when she was 40. I think that Nana, Mayu, and Nozomi will be very happy to see them, as will Yuka until she starts to worry about the future. But how will Bando and Kurama react. I am sure that Mayu and Nana will force them to accept it. But I am sure that Kurama will, for the rest of his life, be waiting for Mariko's reincarnation to come to him.

I think that a great ending would have been for all the former inhabitants of the Maple Inn to come together and have a meal together to make up for the one that was broken up when Lucy was captured. Have Kouta say that he had been wrong. That wasn't the last time that they would all eat together.
Closed Thread