AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-26, 17:36   Link #561
AzureWrath

Ummmm Wastashi made it a point to separate the fairies when she was in town to keep them from reproducing. Why wasn't it done no this instance? She clearly had the chance to do it when she realized they reproduced after the first night.
Old 2012-08-26, 18:05   Link #562
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Extreme? They're just doing what all human societies did, is in process of doing or will do in the future (see the Polynesians on Easter Island for a carbon copy example)
Yeah, Easter Island was my point of reference as well, I think they even had some Easter Island style monuments in there too.
When you saw the trees being felled you knew it wasn't going to end well. Deforestation, industrialisation, overworking the soil, all bad!

A wonderfully metaphorical episode!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:14   Link #563
Random Wanderer

Lesson one: Do not let a teenage girl with shortsighted priorities rule a nation.

Lesson two: Do not let fairies build a nation, especially if it happens to have a teenage girl with shortsighted priorities ruling it.

Lesson three (technically should have been learned a long time ago): Do not give non-specific orders to fairies. Ever.

Lesson four: Should you happen to cause large-scale destruction of landmasses resulting in the extinction of various endangered species, make sure to be more thorough about covering up the evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
She did pretty good at developing her island nation. Her only major fault (besides wanting to be lazy, but we love her for it) was she forgot that fairies always take things to the extreme, and they monumented their nation into oblivion.
I think her "focus all effort in the nation on producing this plant and only this plant" order would have killed them all eventually as well. A plant that makes candy is nice and all, but you can't live off of it.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:25   Link #564
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I think her "focus all effort in the nation on producing this plant and only this plant" order would have killed them all eventually as well. A plant that makes candy is nice and all, but you can't live off of it.
Watashi can't live off of it, but the fairies can. If the fairies are happy, they'll keep her happy. Things only went downhill (again) when the fairies made the monuments and destroyed the plantlife in the process.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:38   Link #565
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
That was the lazy part. She got tired of making sweets for 8,000 fairies. Plus, beyond entertainment, it appears that fairies only require sweets to live. So focusing production on a candy plant was a good call, since in that nation, sweets were a basic necessity... regardless of the fact that they'd already undermined any hope of sustainability by that point.

The straw that brought the whole thing down was when the fairies went Monumental crazy, and wiped out their production capacity (instead of waiting for the slow starvation from lack of resources). After that, the whole edifice crumbled under the weight of 8,000 depressed fairies.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 18:43   Link #566
novalysis

You know what? I'm glad that Watashi did not had enough sense to order a Colonization Project of the neighboring lands. Or mandating sustainability by accelerated Tree Replanting, Runoff Purification, and building a small merchant navy.... or indeed, had the sense to specifically limit the amount of Monument building.

Those fairies would likely have overrun the world in a few years, had that happen.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 19:18   Link #567
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
You know what? I'm glad that Watashi did not had enough sense to order a Colonization Project of the neighboring lands. Or mandating sustainability by accelerated Tree Replanting, Runoff Purification, and building a small merchant navy.... or indeed, had the sense to specifically limit the amount of Monument building.

Those fairies would likely have overrun the world in a few years, had that happen.
Well, the series isn't named Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (Humanity Has Fallen) for nothing. Also, I get this weird feeling that the show is airing in a backwards order, or at least in an anachronological order, which some of us might have already noticed...

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 21:30   Link #568
00Coyote

I find this screen cap reflective of the series as a whole.

Out of context, you have this (possibly giant) girl in a funny suit, walking among the collected remnants of long dead civilizations (well except for the arch), while chubby people in bright clothing watch her advance. It goes way past surreal, to the left of bizarre and settles in orbit around eccentric.

In context, it still goes way past surreal, to the left of bizarre and settles in orbit around eccentric, but it makes a little more sense. That is the genius of this series, by visuals, and superficial description alone, it is insane without a shred of coherence. But because it is written in such a smart, thought out, snarky and deft way, all these element pull together and make a incredibly entertaining and thought provoking experience.

If I was a fairy, I'd be reproducing at an incredible rate.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 22:56   Link #569
Kaylia

^
Agreed with everything you said. The directing in this series has been amazing so far, and it is one of the most clever anime I watched in the last few years. It's a shame it went almost unnoticed, because it deserved a much better fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrath View Post
Ummmm Wastashi made it a point to separate the fairies when she was in town to keep them from reproducing. Why wasn't it done no this instance? She clearly had the chance to do it when she realized they reproduced after the first night.
Spoiler for picture:

This show is aired out of order, and this particular episode most likely happen before the first two. I would also guess this is exactly the reason why Watashi is going to keep them separated in the future to prevent this from happening again.

Last edited by Kaylia; 2012-08-26 at 23:22.
Kaylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 00:05   Link #570
whitecloud

huh? but her hair already long? when her she separate the fairy it happen after she suddenly take the hair growing tonic right?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 00:35   Link #571
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
So the translation about fairies reproducing when they’re having fun from the 3rd episode was right after all?
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 00:36   Link #572
Kaylia

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
huh? but her hair already long? when her she separate the fairy it happen after she suddenly take the hair growing tonic right?
I mentioned this on the last page, but based on every hints the shows gave us, this is my take on the episode order.

Episodes 7-8: Assistant arc (he was in every other episodes)
Time Skip: Something involving fairies multiplying, leading to the self imposed exiles we see in episode 9
Episode 9: Watashi is forced to take responsibility for the unhappy fairies who multiplied, and is dragged on the island.
Time skip: No hint about this period, but there is room to include another arc here
Episode 5: Ruins containing old civilization are discovered, Pioneer come back to earth, the Human Monument project is initiated, and fairies goes into hiding due to certain electromagnetic wave harming them (telecommunication wavelength apparently).
Episode 6: Watashi blow up the electricity generators (stop telecommunication), fairies come back to the world, the Human Monument Project is canceled, and Watashi receives the haircut punishment
Episodes 1-2: Watashi get artificial hair, and explore the factory
Bigger time skip: A few seasons pass, mankind started exploring old civilization ruin again
Episode 3-4: It's now winter, people are riding car, have electricty and printers. Inversely, fairies went into hiding again (episode #3 is the only one that has no fairies at all). Y is involved in the Human Monument Project that was re-activated recently (Watashi event point out that she thought it was canceled)

I'm fairly certain this is correct due to the show mention of certain key events in every arcs (ie: assistant not being around, hair being cut, hair becoming magical and moving on their own, human monument project being canceled and restarted).

The only one left to interpretation would be the assistant arc (because Watashi had a fairly good idea what he would look like, it could technically be in the future after a memory wipe..or something equally crazy), and the island episode (but like I said, not knowing how to limit fairies population is a big hints that it's before, and Watashi's hair didn't behave strangely..althought, they did not in episode 3-4).

Last edited by Kaylia; 2012-08-27 at 01:03.
Old 2012-08-27, 00:41   Link #573
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Would be amusing if those time skips you mentioned are gonna be the last 3 episodes. That if it ends at 12.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 01:11   Link #574
Kaylia

^
I would kill to have more than 12 episodes D: Actually, does anyone anyone here has knowledge of the novels and could enlight us on the amount of chapters covered?

About time skips, there is definitively a high probabilities that the next 2 episodes will take place during that time since it was implied that episode 5-6-1-2 happened back to back (Watashi being pissed at the punishment in the first episodes is a big hint that it happened a moment before). There is also a huge gap between episode 2 and episode 3 that could uses more explanation. Other than that, I just placed these "time skips" because it wasn't hinted how close of each others these episodes were.
Old 2012-08-27, 04:55   Link #575
whitecloud

what im hoping is watashi's school day like in the OP which would be even way further back in time...and at that time ( i hope) we may know her name...since her friend could not possibly always call her by "you" or some other way right?
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 07:09   Link #576
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

so much FAIRIES on this ep.9 only missing is this guy http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm...mvsho1_500.gif

main got send fairy to own island with stuck going survivor the fairies edition to fairies make main the queen of island yea keep multiply a lot wonder how they make fairies?

all doing well bit what like outfit made to spider to a fairy wet itself really yet all good til all sad til so much cloud & rain from the fairies.

indeed rise & fall or fairy island this week.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 07:51   Link #577
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
I mentioned this on the last page, but based on every hints the shows gave us, this is my take on the episode order.

Episodes 7-8: Assistant arc (he was in every other episodes)
Time Skip: Something involving fairies multiplying, leading to the self imposed exiles we see in episode 9
Episode 9: Watashi is forced to take responsibility for the unhappy fairies who multiplied, and is dragged on the island.
Time skip: No hint about this period, but there is room to include another arc here
Episode 5: Ruins containing old civilization are discovered, Pioneer come back to earth, the Human Monument project is initiated, and fairies goes into hiding due to certain electromagnetic wave harming them (telecommunication wavelength apparently).
Episode 6: Watashi blow up the electricity generators (stop telecommunication), fairies come back to the world, the Human Monument Project is canceled, and Watashi receives the haircut punishment
Episodes 1-2: Watashi get artificial hair, and explore the factory
Bigger time skip: A few seasons pass, mankind started exploring old civilization ruin again
Episode 3-4: It's now winter, people are riding car, have electricty and printers. Inversely, fairies went into hiding again (episode #3 is the only one that has no fairies at all). Y is involved in the Human Monument Project that was re-activated recently (Watashi event point out that she thought it was canceled)
It's almost absolutely right - but 9th ep. goes after the first two and before the 3-4.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 08:01   Link #578
Kaylia

Out of curiosity, is it because of the novel you're able to say this, or is there an hint that I'm missing ? I rewatched every episodes looking for hints, and haven't really caught anything other than Watashi trying to prevent fairies from reproducing in the first episode (implying she had issue with that before).
Old 2012-08-27, 08:22   Link #579
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
It was the building of monuments that finally brought the whole thing down...

Makes you wonder about a certain "Human Monument" that was supposed to celebrate the glory of humanity?
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 08:44   Link #580
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I can't express how genius this episode was. Not exactly sure what the exact purpose of this episode was, but I think it was to criticize humanity's reliance on over-consumption. And "Shady Research" like that narcotic plant which I'm guessing is parodying our underground drug cartels and whatnot. However, I'm surprised no one invented contraceptives for that island! Those faeries were breeding like ants!

Regardless, best episode of the series so far. Even beats that manga industry parody arc. Easy 10/10.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shounen