Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-11, 02:27   Link #1
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Any anime similar to Black Lagoon and Monster

I liked both Black Lagoon and Monster and wondering if there were any similar to both.

I've seen Noir, Madlax and GITS.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 2013-03-11, 02:29   Link #2
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Jormungand
Old 2013-03-11, 22:27   Link #3
Darthtabby

If you're okay with a series about brainwashed and cybernetically enhanced child assassins, give the first season of Gunslinger Girl a try. It's by the same studio as Monster and Black Lagoon. (The second season was by a different studio however, and has an art style that doesn't really fit the series as well.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 00:02   Link #4
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Canaan is very similar to Black Lagoon, featuring a female mercenary named Canaan with a rare form of synethesia that allows her to see her people's emotions as a colored aura, allowing her to find an enemy in a crowd or even see them through walls.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 04:56   Link #5
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
If you're okay with a series about brainwashed and cybernetically enhanced child assassins, give the first season of Gunslinger Girl a try. It's by the same studio as Monster and Black Lagoon. (The second season was by a different studio however, and has an art style that doesn't really fit the series as well.)
I've seen Gunslinger Girl, both seasons--and indeed it was superb. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator
Jormungand
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm on Episode four after starting yesterday and I have to say, it's... interesting. The personalities of the characters don't seem to fit their rolls. Given that it's only 12 episodes I'll probably push my way though it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SPARTAN 119
Canaan is very similar to Black Lagoon, featuring a female mercenary named Canaan with a rare form of synesthesia that allows her to see her people's emotions as a colored aura, allowing her to find an enemy in a crowd or even see them through walls.
Sounds interesting, I'll try it out.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. If anyone has any additions, I'm open. That's what spring break is for, right? ;-)
Old 2013-03-12, 09:15   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Since I don't see much that joins those two shows together except for their focus on criminals, I would suggest these:

Baccano! - Gangsters encounter immortals in Prohibition America.

Sarai-ya Goyou - Slice of life about a gang of kidnappers in the late Edo period

Nijuu Mensou no Musume - Master thief Twenty Faces kidnaps an heiress who joins his band.

Shion no Ou - Young Shion aspires to become a professional Shougi player while the police investigate the brutal murder of her parents.

Mouryou no Hako - A motley group of guys investigate a series of murders where the victims remains are distributed around the city in wooden boxes.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo - Rich and beautiful Superintendent Ryoko and her male subordinate investigate supernatural events in Tokyo; more a "monster-of-the-week" type of show at the outset.

Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna - Master thief Fujiko uses her intelligence and her other "assets" to outwit the police and competing thieves.

Ghost Hound - Three boys use their powers of "astral projection" in an attempt to identify who kidnapped one of them as a young child.

For a very different type of "detective," I recommend the Apothecary stories by Nakamura Kenji, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales and its sequel Mononoke.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 23:33   Link #7
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

If you enjoyed Black Lagoon and Monster, you'd probably enjoy Blood+, a 50 episode anime that's also got its share of rated R moments that shares many similar tones to the aforementioned two shows (more to Monster).

A shorter show that you'd also probably enjoy is Speed Grapher, which revolves around the thematic idea that the world is corrupt, which underlies the series from start to finish, and embodies what you'd expect from a Gonzo release.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 04:04   Link #8
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
If you enjoyed Black Lagoon and Monster, you'd probably enjoy Blood+, a 50 episode anime that's also got its share of rated R moments that shares many similar tones to the aforementioned two shows (more to Monster).
A while back I watched part of Blood+ but could't finish it due to the extensive amount of gore and violence. I have my limits. Same reason why I never formally finished Claymore. I may watch it at some point just to trim the size of my 'partly watched' list.
Quote:
A shorter show that you'd also probably enjoy is Speed Grapher, which revolves around the thematic idea that the world is corrupt, which underlies the series from start to finish, and embodies what you'd expect from a Gonzo release.
This sounds interesting. I'm currently watching Jormungand as recommended above, and I've grown to enjoy it. I'm on episode 9.

I don't enjoy an anime of this genre if too much fiction is involved in the story. I like things that have an aspect of being at least potently realistic--not unlike Claymore and Blood+ where the story has a premise of monsters and demons.

Thank you :-)
Old 2013-03-14, 05:35   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
A while back I watched part of Blood+ but could't finish it due to the extensive amount of gore and violence. I have my limits. Same reason why I never formally finished Claymore. I may watch it at some point just to trim the size of my 'partly watched' list.

This sounds interesting. I'm currently watching Jormungand as recommended above, and I've grown to enjoy it. I'm on episode 9.

I don't enjoy an anime of this genre if too much fiction is involved in the story. I like things that have an aspect of being at least potently realistic--not unlike Claymore and Blood+ where the story has a premise of monsters and demons.

Thank you :-)

Well, with that additional information, you may (re: absolutely) want to pass on Speed Grapher.

I further suspect you'd enjoy most, if not all, of the recommendations Seiji left you in an earlier post.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote