Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-23, 15:00   Link #101
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Let me ask you, were you shocked or surprised that Kotarou confessed at the end of episode 3?
Somewhat. But him leading up to it wondering where the title quote came from made it less surprising to me. That said, your point is made. These are kids plunging into the unknown for the first time.

Quote:
If Akane started dating Hira at this point, it probably wouldn't be a matter of choosing him over Kotarou, but, rather, being shoehorned into a relationship by the immense peer pressure brought to bear on her by her friends and members of the track team. It would not be the first time in an anime that someone has been pressured into dating someone else, and it wouldn't be the last time.
Sure it's possible. But the show has shown mostly the cues that she has for Kotarou, not towards Kira. I'm moving more towards the enemy of this relationship will be the hinting of Akane's family moving than anything else.

Since I don't read Japanese, I wonder if the texting screens during the ED have any context to the show, or at best insight? I've noticed they've been different each episode.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 15:24   Link #102
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
Somewhat. But him leading up to it wondering where the title quote came from made it less surprising to me. That said, your point is made. These are kids plunging into the unknown for the first time.

Sure it's possible. But the show has shown mostly the cues that she has for Kotarou, not towards Kira. I'm moving more towards the enemy of this relationship will be the hinting of Akane's family moving than anything else.

Since I don't read Japanese, I wonder if the texting screens during the ED have any context to the show, or at best insight? I've noticed they've been different each episode.
Regardless of what happens now, I agree that if Akane's family were to move away, that would certainly become the biggest obstacle to a long-term relationship between Akane and Kotarou. Like I said before, unless we're seriously being trolled by the animation of the ED, them eventually becoming a couple is already a done deal.

As for the ED text messages at the end of episode 3...

Spoiler for link to translated text message that may contain hints of future circumstances, of course if we could all read Japanese, it wouldn't be much of a spoiler:

I haven't found translations of the text at the end of the first 2 episodes yet.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 17:51   Link #103
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
I haven't found translations of the text at the end of the first 2 episodes yet.
There's this post. Not much of content to actually spoil the show, but possibly if it does relate at all.
Old 2017-04-23, 18:26   Link #104
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Let me ask you, were you shocked or surprised that Kotarou confessed at the end of episode 3? I certainly was. If nothing else, that clues me in to the probability that this show will shock or surprise me again (and again) when I least expect it.

If Akane started dating Hira at this point, it probably wouldn't be a matter of choosing him over Kotarou, but, rather, being shoehorned into a relationship by the immense peer pressure brought to bear on her by her friends and members of the track team. It would not be the first time in an anime that someone has been pressured into dating someone else, and it wouldn't be the last time.
On this I wholeheartedly agree. I find their dating somewhat doubtful but if it happens, then I as well would find it most likely that she found herself unable to say "no". Given the situation a refusal would be extremely awkward and difficult on someone so shy.

Also I see your point about the show throwing some surprise curves at the audience. Haven't seen such an early confession since My LOVE Story, and while it'd be sweet to see them take the rest of the story that way I find it doubtful. It takes a lot of work to make something that sweet when you start out with "happily-ever-after", and it's still recent enough that such an attempt would welcome comparisons. So while I wouldn't be surprised to see them start dating (which frankly seems like it'd be a bigger bombshell than him getting dumped at this point in the game), I'm sure we'll see a lot of other stuff happening. I too think it's all too likely that a move will be in the works. Probably not for a few episodes, except maybe as a future event, like Dad's getting transferred in X months or something. But wouldn't be at all strange to have something like a move split them near the end only for one to choose their high school to be close and maybe even get their parents to rent an apartment (or take a job to rent one) for proximity (to the school...).

Didn't think Akane's face was so strange or out-of-balance with her being free and interested. I mean, she's definitely interested in him, I think that much has been made quite clear. She didn't look surprised enough or sad enough for that. I mean think about it. You're a girl who's had apparently no experience in the world of romance. Boyfriends are just something your friends giggle and whisper about. Then in one night, in short order, the cool guy from your team asks you out followed immediately by your light crush. You're going to be utterly shocked, and if you just said "yes" to the guy you like as a friend but everyone wants you to date when your real crush asks you out, you're going to be rather unhappy as well. I could be wrong of course. Her face is a little hard to read. But personally I'd expect a bit more if she'd just hooked up with Hira.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-23, 18:44   Link #105
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
There's this post. Not much of content to actually spoil the show, but possibly if it does relate at all.
That's the question: do the ED text messages actually really have anything to do with the show per se, and, if so, are the messages between Akane and Kotarou? Or are we, with the rest of the ED, being trolled by window dressing? It would be splendid if the messages were a look into the future and about Akane and Kotarou (at least so far). I found the 2nd episode's text messages particularly encouraging if they are between Akane and Kotarou.

I do not usually lurk on other message boards (some are inhabited by sub-human beings that are just too vulgar for my reading pleasure), but, in comparison, the discussion of this series here on animesuki pales in comparison in sheer numbers of posts to the enthusiastic discussions elsewhere. Shame, really.
Old 2017-04-23, 22:53   Link #106
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Translations for all 3 ED texts here.
Old 2017-04-24, 09:22   Link #107
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Well, with tomorrow's preview we should get an inkling as to which direction this story is headed. I've tried to come up with a list of Akane's possible responses to Kotarou's confession...

Spoiler for specualtions:

but this story has already become unpredictable and there may be other possibilities that I didn't even think of...
Old 2017-04-24, 13:22   Link #108
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Of course the possibility of her saying yes to Hira exists. But it seemed like the only times she was attentive to much of the conversation around him was when her name is as called out. Otherwise her thoughts were towards the race, and Kotarou.

The last part was like a couple of moths drawn to a fire. You're struggling with emotions you've never had before and trying to figure out rules of engagement for situations that never applied to you before. So far this story has drawn both well.
Old 2017-04-24, 18:36   Link #109
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Of course the possibility of her saying yes to Hira exists. But it seemed like the only times she was attentive to much of the conversation around him was when her name is as called out. Otherwise her thoughts were towards the race, and Kotarou.
One thing that Hira has going for him that Kotarou definitely does not is that Akane feels completely at ease talking and even joking around with him. Well, at least she did until she realized that he was about to confess to her before he got interrupted...

Quote:
The last part was like a couple of moths drawn to a fire. You're struggling with emotions you've never had before and trying to figure out rules of engagement for situations that never applied to you before. So far this story has drawn both well.
Well said!

My biggest concern about that scene at the end of episode 3 between Akane and Kotarou (well, except that we didn't get to hear her response to his confession) is when she says to herself, "This is weird." Not a very encouragingly optimistic (or romantic) thing to think. Was she just feeling awkward with the lack of conversation, or was she beginning to regret seeking him out on her way home, thinking she made a mistake in doing so? I suppose we'll never know for sure.
Old 2017-04-25, 00:56   Link #110
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
One thing that Hira has going for him that Kotarou definitely does not is that Akane feels completely at ease talking and even joking around with him. Well, at least she did until she realized that he was about to confess to her before he got interrupted...
And the one thing that Kotarou has over Hira is Akane's attention.

Quote:
My biggest concern about that scene at the end of episode 3 between Akane and Kotarou (well, except that we didn't get to hear her response to his confession) is when she says to herself, "This is weird." Not a very encouragingly optimistic (or romantic) thing to think. Was she just feeling awkward with the lack of conversation, or was she beginning to regret seeking him out on her way home, thinking she made a mistake in doing so? I suppose we'll never know for sure.
I'd feel a bit more concerned if either of them were thinking up excuses to leave the area because they couldn't handle what's come over them. Being together in silence is still a better sign.

Edit:

Quote:
Let me ask you, were you shocked or surprised that Kotarou confessed at the end of episode 3? I certainly was. If nothing else, that clues me in to the probability that this show will shock or surprise me again (and again) when I least expect it.
Ugh, right after he thought about who wrote "Tsuki ga Kirei" first (and how it's translated to "I love you"), she says it (saying how the moon is beautiful), without knowing the literary background of the term. Then he broke out the confession.

Last edited by pagan poor; 2017-04-25 at 01:33.
Old 2017-04-25, 03:07   Link #111
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:44.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-25, 06:27   Link #112
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Spoiler for Ep 4 Preview for those outside Japan:
Old 2017-04-25, 07:03   Link #113
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep 4 Preview for those outside Japan:
Thanks. So it looks like...

Spoiler for speculation based on preview:

So much for trying to figure out what'll happen from the preview...
Old 2017-04-25, 09:50   Link #114
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
I return to my comment about LINE. They're not very adept at communicating with each other in person (though Akane can sometimes get relatively comfortable), but on LINE it's noted that their conversation is very lively and open. They get awkward on the occasion of the match, due to his feelings about not being able to be there, but overall their conversations are apparently plenty open, jocular and casual.

Also, concerning the preview, what I was able to pick up:
Spoiler:

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-04-25 at 10:07.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-25, 10:04   Link #115
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Dissociate

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-06-30 at 10:44.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-25, 10:34   Link #116
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
That appears to be the line right at the start of the preview.
Spoiler for Your guess is as good as mine ...:
Merci! Looks like we're in for a bit of clichéd drama...

Just found an episode 4 preview with English subs...

Spoiler for English subbed preview:

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2017-04-25 at 10:45.
Old 2017-04-25, 11:04   Link #117
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Going on what I posted earlier, I think she responded with a "huh?", and he backpedalled the he said. Now he's super embarrassed over the misunderstanding and he's being more cautious, even not texting. Probably pick another book out of the library to see what what do next.
Old 2017-04-25, 13:05   Link #118
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Going on what I posted earlier, I think she responded with a "huh?", and he backpedalled the he said. Now he's super embarrassed over the misunderstanding and he's being more cautious, even not texting. Probably pick another book out of the library to see what what do next.
I'm similarly inclined, though I rather think she said, "No" or "Give me time to think about it."

If this follows the typical shoujo storyline, we can expect to see the usual misunderstanding-based complications, such as...

Spoiler for episode 4 screen shots and speculation:

This was a surprise:
Spoiler for weekly ranking chart image:

I didn't expect this show to rank so highly.

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2017-04-25 at 19:04. Reason: add ranking chart
Old 2017-04-27, 13:57   Link #119
Pen3

I just watched episode 4 and everyone's speculation on cliched preview will be damned. This show is very refreshing.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-27, 14:40   Link #120
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
I just watched episode 4 and everyone's speculation on cliched preview will be damned. This show is very refreshing.
Spoiler for being polite in case you haven't seen episode 4 yet...:

Tags
anime original, romance, school life, shoujo, slice of life, studio feel