AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-20, 18:59   Link #1
oDin01

Maburaho licensed

According to Anime on DVD reports in March Netype USA magazine ADV has licenced Maburaho. They have a tentative Fall 2004 for the first volume release already.

Again this hasn't been officially announced yet by ADV reps so take this news for what it is.

Lunar released episode 17 just now.
Old 2004-02-20, 19:51   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I'll believe it when I see it. Personally, I don't believe it. That's my take on it. Besides, I can't see Maburaho coming to the states. But either way, if it IS gonna be licenced, Lunar needs to hurry up or else we'll never get to know how it ends.

EDIT: Of course, thinking back about this, IF it is being licenced in March, we've still got time to get the rest of the episodes out.

EDIT2: Ok, more thoughts. IF this is being licenced BEFORE it's being completed in Japan, it's just another good example of a company taking advantage of us getting hooked on a series to milk us for money. IF they cut us off from the rest of the fansubs because of licencing restrictions and leave us hanging waiting on the DVD's to be released, we'll almost be FORCED to buy the entire DVD set just to see the last few episodes, because there's no point buying the last DVD just to see how it ended. You may as well buy the whole set. Sheesh. I hate when companies do this. Yes, I'll buy the entire set, but DON'T force me to do it just so I can see how the series ends. Sheesh.
Old 2004-02-20, 20:14   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

Sorry, but no one is forcing you to buy anything.

Because you feel compelled isn't the fault of the company who picked up the series, or when.
Old 2004-02-20, 20:23   Link #4
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
EDIT2: Ok, more thoughts. IF this is being licenced BEFORE it's being completed in Japan, it's just another good example of a company taking advantage of us getting hooked on a series to milk us for money. IF they cut us off from the rest of the fansubs because of licencing restrictions and leave us hanging waiting on the DVD's to be released, we'll almost be FORCED to buy the entire DVD set just to see the last few episodes, because there's no point buying the last DVD just to see how it ended. You may as well buy the whole set. Sheesh. I hate when companies do this. Yes, I'll buy the entire set, but DON'T force me to do it just so I can see how the series ends. Sheesh.
You're talking as if the American company just goes to the Japanese studio in one day and walks out with the license the next day. Usually they're in negotiations over price and marketing and the likes for weeks or months or even years, so don't think the ADV people just woke up one morning and decided to do this to spite you. Chances are they've been working on it since even before it started being fansubbed.
Besides, this is a risk you knew you were taking by watching the fansubs, so don't pretend you didn't know it might get licensed half-way through. It's happened before and it will happen again so it's your decision whether to start watching or not.
Old 2004-02-20, 20:57   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Wow I never thought this series would get picked up so fast. They must have a ton of spies watching which fansubbed unlicensed anime is most popular with the fans. Since it hasn't been officially announced yet it's not licensed by animesuki's book. So the torrents will stay up. Thankfully until we get to see how it ends.
Old 2004-02-20, 21:10   Link #6
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
I'll believe it when I see it. Personally, I don't believe it. That's my take on it. Besides, I can't see Maburaho coming to the states. But either way, if it IS gonna be licenced, Lunar needs to hurry up or else we'll never get to know how it ends.

EDIT: Of course, thinking back about this, IF it is being licenced in March, we've still got time to get the rest of the episodes out.

So you're saying companies should be mindful of people illegally downloading fansubs?
Old 2004-02-20, 22:31   Link #7
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDin01
According to Anime on DVD reports in March Netype USA magazine ADV has licenced Maburaho. They have a tentative Fall 2004 for the first volume release already.

Again this hasn't been officially announced yet by ADV reps so take this news for what it is.

Lunar released episode 17 just now.
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by xris; 2004-02-21 at 04:11. Reason: Size isn't everything!!!!
Old 2004-02-20, 22:37   Link #8
corp20
Internet God

Trying to ride the wave of Harry Potter.
Old 2004-02-20, 22:53   Link #9
Sai
apathetic

Send a message via AIM to Sai
Why?!?!?! Kazuki-san and Yuuna hanent kissed yet!! Belive me, they will kiss! and i'm going to make sure of it!!! *flys off to japan ready to beat up some of Maburaho's writers*
Old 2004-02-20, 22:54   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Wow I never thought this series would get picked up so fast. They must have a ton of spies watching which fansubbed unlicensed anime is most popular with the fans. Since it hasn't been official announced yet it's not licensed by animesuki's book. So the torrents will stay up. Thankfully until we get to see how it ends.
If that was the case, shouldn't someone be announcing that they have the rights to kgne? It was ranked #1 on animenfo for a time, so it's obviously popular. Still I would think someone from the industry would be looking at the number of leaches for new series. What gets thousands of downloads will most likely sell well on dvd.

Anyway since the source was Newtype USA, I think we can all be pretty certain that adv is at least in negotations for Maburaho. For people worrying about having to wait until the last dvd to see the end, I doubt adv will officially announce the license until the series ends, but even if they do there are a lot of unethical fansub groups out there. Even if lunar and the others drop it, someone will finish it. Not that I'm supporting the downloading of licensed anime, but if you really want to see the rest of a series licensed in the middle, there's always a way...
Old 2004-02-20, 22:56   Link #11
LinChoiSin

Maburaho may be a good show i don't think it would be worth crying over it if it was to end now.As for the end i think that evrybody already know what's gonna happen !
Old 2004-02-20, 23:00   Link #12
Maxtro

Thumbs down Bad move

I just don’t know why companies can’t wait until the show finishes airing and the fansubing is complete to announce that they have the license. I can understand licensing a long series like Naruto or One Piece for example before it’s over because the length is undetermined. (To avoid mass panic no they are NOT licensed) IMO if a show has about 10 episodes left, the company that is licensing should be able to wait until then to announce it. That way it won’t get a lot of people pissed, and would just prevent a lot of headache that it can cause.

A good example of a bad move was when Bandai licensed, Gundam SEED when it had about 5 episodes left. All the legit groups had to stop and Anime Junkies was threatened with legal action. It would have been much smarter if they had just waited till the end of the series. All they accomplished was get thousands of people pissed at them, who then got the rest of the series of Kazza, me included. Nobody in their right mind would stop watching and wait 6 months to see the ending.

Now if Maburaho is actually licensed, there is no way in hell that I’m going to stop watching and wait till fall to see the ending and I’m betting most people here agree with me.
Old 2004-02-20, 23:03   Link #13
Tellu54
Banned

Happy Days are here again, happy days are here again! Yay! I don't have to TL any more Maburaho! Man, this is the best day in ages, and also the first day in my life that I've been glad I'm on a project with a "non-liscenced only group". That's it for S-C's Maburaho, we're a happy, legit fansub group who doesn't sub liscenced anime! Yahoo! Whee! No more 2 hours a week spent writing "Kazuki-san!!" over and over. Truly, the gods of anime smile upon us all, or me, at least, this day.

-
Tellu54, Sugar-Cube, FORMER Maburaho Translator
Old 2004-02-20, 23:13   Link #14
Tellu54
Banned

"I just don’t know why companies can’t wait until the show finishes airing and the fansubing is complete to announce that they have the license."

Because they don't care about you whatsoever. If you were to go up to them and say, "Could you please forstall negotiations for the liscence until I'm done watching the show?" they would laugh at you, very hard.

Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy! Goodbye Yuuna, Goodbye Rin, Goodbye Kazetsubaki! You all honestly had some potential, but you TOTALLY squandered it, and I can't say that I'm not glad to be rid of you.

Man, I'm as happy at this liscencing as one of those dudes who doesn't know about fansubbing at all, and thinks this'll be his first chance to see stuff in the states.

Let's have three cheers for the do-gooder "no liscenced" policy of my home group, Sugar-Cube, and of the good folks here at AnimeSuki. Hip-hip HOORAY!
Old 2004-02-20, 23:16   Link #15
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro
A good example of a bad move was when Bandai licensed, Gundam SEED when it had about 5 episodes left. All the legit groups had to stop and Anime Junkies was threatened with legal action. It would have been much smarter if they had just waited till the end of the series. All they accomplished was get thousands of people pissed at them, who then got the rest of the series of Kazza, me included. Nobody in their right mind would stop watching and wait 6 months to see the ending.
When bandai liscensed Gundam SEED at the CON they tell all the fansubs to stop and even track them down.Did you see ADV doing that?If you look at AoD they say "I can neither confirm nor deny."They didn't say ALL FANSUBS SHOULD STOP NOW.If you look at the NEWTYPE issues it say it will come out in Fall 2004.Bandai will release gundam seed in Fall 2004 when they got the licensed last year.
and as for why licensed so soon I think you could answer that *money*
Old 2004-02-20, 23:21   Link #16
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellu54
Happy Days are here again, happy days are here again! Yay! I don't have to TL any more Maburaho! Man, this is the best day in ages, and also the first day in my life that I've been glad I'm on a project with a "non-liscenced only group". That's it for S-C's Maburaho, we're a happy, legit fansub group who doesn't sub liscenced anime! Yahoo! Whee! No more 2 hours a week spent writing "Kazuki-san!!" over and over. Truly, the gods of anime smile upon us all, or me, at least, this day.

-
Tellu54, Sugar-Cube, FORMER Maburaho Translator
Bleh...Now we know why S-C was so far behind in releasing Maburaho episodes. Thank god for Lunar's subs.
Old 2004-02-20, 23:23   Link #17
Tellu54
Banned

Make all the smarmy coments you want, in the end, I'm not subbing Maburaho and thus have no connection with the show anymore! Yahoo!
Old 2004-02-20, 23:33   Link #18
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Make all the smarmy coments you want, in the end, I'm not subbing Maburaho and thus have no connection with the show anymore! Yahoo!

I personally loved your translation of Maburaho. I thought Sugar Cube had the best version, but they stopped early.
Old 2004-02-20, 23:47   Link #19
Tellu54
Banned

The thing is the show just wasn't very good. It started off by being pretty innovative ("A world where EVERYBODY can use magic, so even the school photographer carries a magical bazooka!"), touching ("He used one of his only 8 magic points to make it snow, just to make her happy..."), and funny, ("So the Samurai girl gets a part time job, and so what we've got is a Samurai in a construction helmet.")

Then, those writers were killed and replaced by droids from the planet sukotron-x. Everything that was funny or enjoyable about the show stopped, and to make matters worse instead of a tidy 13 episode show it dragged on, and on, and ON all the way to 26 episodes.

So goodbye, Maburaho, for I'll never see ye again, and I shall hardly miss ye.
Old 2004-02-21, 00:05   Link #20
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
So goodbye, Maburaho, for I'll never see ye again, and I shall hardly miss ye.
They haven't yet officially announced it yet. So we Maburaho fans have some hope that they would at least hold out until the last episode airs and is subbed.