AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-05, 12:40   Link #21
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I finished watching it. Wow, that was a tragic first season! (It was second to Air TV imo. :cry: )

You guys should really see this! Thanks again to the collaboration for subbing season 1!

So to finish the classical music themed episode titles...

12. "Song of the Wayfarer" for the Heroes: Mahler's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen (Songs of a Wayfarer)
13. The Far Away "New World": Dvorak's Symphony No.9 (From the New World)
Old 2007-07-29, 22:15   Link #22
Sapphi
nya!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
GE 999 was one of the first anime I ever watched. Since then, I have loved every Leiji Matsumoto show I have seen. I just watched the first three episodes and I have to say that I thought that Space Symphony Maetel was absolutely awful.

It was poorly plotted and was stupidly executed. Maetel and the excellent animation just don't make up for this abomination. I can't complain about the reuse of old themes since all Leiji Matsumoto anime reuses those old themes, but this is the first time they have felt tired and worn out.

I am simply very disappointed.
Honestly, i felt the same way.
I am horribly addicted to most anything Matsumoto, including being a huge GE999 fan (my computer was met with extremely loud shrieks of joy when the most recent episode was released, not because of the content of the ep, just because it was another episode, haha.) and so i grabbed Space Symphony Maetel because, well, it had Maetel!

I excitedly watched the first one and!....
...i had to force myself to keep watching them, which is definitely not normal.

But if you can get past the halfway point, it does start getting better. I didn't really like it at all at first (it just DRAGGED, and i felt like Nasuka's whole character was like the product of mushing Tetsuro and Tadashi Daiba together and slapping the product into a bad outfit), but by the last episode there were tears streaming down my face and i was like "THAT'S SO GOOD, WAAAHH" which may or may not have been related to the fact that i'm a total sap, but still! I say give it another chance, as it does seem to get better as it goes, AND it has Tochiro!

And Nasuka, well, as much as he looks like some kind of obnoxious lumberjack, turned out to be rather likable himself.

So give it another chance, if you've got the time.
Sapphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 03:48   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I have long since finished the show and it did get better around the halfway point, but it never really got good.

I'm afraid that I have to say that there was nothing wrong with Nasuka being a mush of Testuro and Tadashi together. That is simply reusing one of Matsumoto's favorite character types. Nearly every show he has made contains that same character with very little difference. While this may be a weakness of Matsumoto's storytelling ability, any proper pastiche of Matsumoto must contain this character as well.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 00:50   Link #24
atomictronic

Does anyone know where to buy the box set?
atomictronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 09:44   Link #25
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictronic View Post
Does anyone know where to buy the box set?
i just saw the boxed set in amazon france for real cheap, only 30 euros.. (http://www.amazon.fr/Maetel-int%C3%A...7128165&sr=8-1)

but i guess you'd have to know japanese or french to understand it.

I'm actually looking for Maetel Legend. It's not on amazon france, japan, us or germany!! i can watch it soundtrack so with or without subs. Anyone know where i can buy this?
Old 2011-03-13, 00:13   Link #26
tyciol
*Artist

Would anyone know if the prequel to this, Maetel Legend, has been licensed/translated? I managed to find a copy but won't post a link until I know this. It's only the RAW I think, but seems like essential data for linking the preceding Queen Millenia with this, just as SSM links to Galaxy Express.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 00:37   Link #27
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maetel Legend was in stores and translated into English a long time ago. At least 2002.
Old 2011-03-13, 09:27   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah it was released by ADV. You can still find it on sites such as amazon. Even Ebay.