AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 71 56.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 25.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 15.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.79%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-28, 15:05   Link #21
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChiefMM View Post
So it wasn't araragi but shinobu how broke that chains, or at last helped him? Sometimes the way they animate it is really confusing.
It wasn't meant to be known it was Shinobu who did it until this scene. By the way, the anime took some artistic license there. In the novel there was just a pair of handcuffs, and Araragi had his arms chained behind his back. The anime makes it look cooler though.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 15:21   Link #22
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Araragi serious talk about "strenght"and "right" is very EPIC

Coolness +2

Loli Vampire--->Nothing to say, it's really too much for me XD

Need more Senjougahara....
Old 2012-01-28, 15:41   Link #23
zeando
maybenotimome

araragi's bathroom is a cathedral
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 15:54   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Oh man Hanekawa cut her hair, why! So Kaiki is to blame for Karen's problems. Shinobu spoke! Her parts was the best. Like how Tsukihi came back with a knife after seeing her.
Symbol of heartbreak?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:30   Link #25
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Spoiler for IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS:

Just when I thought Shinobu had stolen the show, Tsukihi walks in, slams the door shut, and returns with a smile and a kitchen knife. Honestly, what cracked me up wasn't the knife, it was the pot lid shield. What kind of fracas was she anticipating? More importantly, which of them was she planning on giving the business end of the Ginsu to?

Hanekawa is delightfully kind, yet unnerving as always. I miss the braids, but sometimes a girl's gotta make a change. Especially after getting her heart broken.

So much to get through with Shinobu's ample screen time. I guess I would be sullen and reserved too if I had to listen to Meme's stories all day. As an anime-only viewer, I can only speculate, but I'm guessing her sudden acting out shows that she's processed whatever has kept her looking so defeated and quiet for so many months, presumably her "defeat" or whatever it was at Oshio and Araragi's hands. Of note was her suggestion that Araragi should kill her to sever his link to the supernatural. Obviously that goes against everything he's about, but I have to wonder if she's really suggesting it for his benefit, or if she's just so miserable existing in her current state that she wants out. Either way, it's probably important that he does have an out, if she dies. I wonder, then, what happens if she kills him, as she's threatened to do? Is he keeping her alive, or keeping her chained?

All that aside, Maaya Sakamoto exceeded my sky-high expectations. "Ka-ka!" So haughty and disdainful, even when she's toying with Araragi. Even when she's clearly being affectionate, too, though how much of that is simply because she has no one else but him, I can't tell.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-01-28 at 16:40.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:02   Link #26
Romanticide

Really liked how Shinobu sounded, but i was dissapointed there wasn't an OP for her. I like the episode a lot, especially the bathroom. It looked cool.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:05   Link #27
DorkingtonPugsly

Animated Shinobu was so worth the wait!
Although I thought I noticed the animation decline this episode, or maybe that was just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Who here is a guy and bath with rose petals?
Wait, didn't the rose petals come out along with Shinobu?

Last edited by DorkingtonPugsly; 2012-01-28 at 17:10. Reason: forgot to say something and another post wasn't neccesary.
DorkingtonPugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:12   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
So much to get through with Shinobu's ample screen time. I guess I would be sullen and reserved too if I had to listen to Meme's stories all day. As an anime-only viewer, I can only speculate, but I'm guessing her sudden acting out shows that she's processed whatever has kept her looking so defeated and quiet for so many months, presumably her "defeat" or whatever it was at Oshio and Araragi's hands. Of note was her suggestion that Araragi should kill her to sever his link to the supernatural. Obviously that goes against everything he's about, but I have to wonder if she's really suggesting it for his benefit, or if she's just so miserable existing in her current state that she wants out. Either way, it's probably important that he does have an out, if she dies. I wonder, then, what happens if she kills him, as she's threatened to do? Is he keeping her alive, or keeping her chained?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can only speculate since Shinobu explained her reasons for snapping out of her sullen state in this episode. We also know what happened between her and Araragi from the first season, though the details are still unclear. It's a shame we didn't get to see Kizu before Nise, as I'm sure it would have given us a deeper understanding of their fascinating relationship.

You bring up a good point. It's been stated that Araragi would become a normal human again if he killed her (something he obviously never do), but we don't know what would happen if she killed him. I imagine she would die since it looks like she can't live without him.
Old 2012-01-28, 17:16   Link #29
relentlessflame

*Administrator

This is probably the most obvious thing to say about this episode, but the thing that stuck out to me the most was the clarification of what exactly Tsubasa said to the seemingly-prideful Hitagi that got her so freaked out at the end of the last episode. And of course, it's very simple: she basically threatened to take Koyomi away from her. And that's pretty much all she needed to say. I'm not sure if that says more about Tsubasa, about Hitagi, or about the sort of awkward understanding they have between the two of them revolving around Koyomi. But all in all, Tsubasa's very "mob boss" in this episode, and it reminds us all the more that, for all her talk, Hitagi's still just a girl in love. It's like how last episode they clarified (jokingly?) who the real "last boss" is -- nothing's as it seems.

I like how every room in Koyomi's house is like its own sort of theatre stage, complete with lighting, props, and careful staging of the "actors". All SHAFT works are very theatrical, but this episode was particularly high on that scale.

I am supposing maybe two more episodes left in this story?
Old 2012-01-28, 17:19   Link #30
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

OMG.

Hanekawa.
Shinobu.

Get over here, I spy two adorable entities requiring a hug. Everything was too damn adorable in this episode.
Old 2012-01-28, 17:24   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can only speculate since Shinobu explained her reasons for snapping out of her sullen state in this episode. We also know what happened between her and Araragi from the first season, though the details are still unclear. It's a shame we didn't get to see Kizu before Nise, as I'm sure it would have given us a deeper understanding of their fascinating relationship.

You bring up a good point. It's been stated that Araragi would become a normal human again if he killed her (something he obviously never do), but we don't know what would happen if she killed him. I imagine she would die since it looks like she can't live without him.
I think she'll just go back to normal.
Old 2012-01-28, 17:45   Link #32
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Dat fanservice.
Anyway , i wish they give us more details on their past & relationships.
Shaft is doing a great job for the decor.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:51   Link #33
Ray
Garnet

The bath scene was too awesome. Shinobu's speech patterns and voice are so adorable. My my, I didn't quite imagine that Koyomi had that much muscle.

I really wanted to hear his reply to Shinobu's question with regard to Hitagi.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:54   Link #34
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wonder how serious Hitagi's fear of Tsubasa's threat is? I mean, he nearly died refusing her in her arc. And it's not like Hitagi isn't trusting. It doesn't really bother her he spends a lot of time alone with other girls.
Old 2012-01-28, 18:29   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I wonder how serious Hitagi's fear of Tsubasa's threat is? I mean, he nearly died refusing her in her arc. And it's not like Hitagi isn't trusting. It doesn't really bother her he spends a lot of time alone with other girls.
I think it can be taken one of two ways. It's either that she's afraid for Koyomi's life... but I'm not sure just how likely that is with Tsubasa at this point. (Though she is trying to keep him away from Kaiki, so maybe? Tsubasa's clearly more of a force to be reckoned with than she lets on, cat demon notwithstanding.) Or she thinks on some level that Tsubasa has a chance of winning Koyomi over romantically, i.e. she's still not totally confident in Koyomi's love for her if the "opponent" is Tsubasa. Given the insecurity that subtly pervade her words and actions, perhaps it's a combination of both? Not sure... my interpretation was that it was more the latter than the former in Tsubasa's case, but I'm not sure.
Old 2012-01-28, 18:47   Link #36
Texas84
よろしく

Shinobu. Wow. Totally unexpected. Her voice is awesome. Can I get in trouble for watching this in the US even though she's 500 years old?

Overall, the new designs for the girls are outstanding. Great episode.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 19:37   Link #37
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

OMIGOD Shinobu's sweet voice! I can't get enough of it!!!!

*goes back to watching*
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 20:13   Link #38
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

*sigh* Loli vampire is so very yummy. And so incredibly CUTE with her hair up! I loved how she referred to the girls by their characteristics. 'Your tsundere' = Hitagi...XD Shinobu definitely owned this episode. Really now, what is it about loli, blonde vampires that makes them so irresistable...?

I'd risk being called a lolicon/pedo to watch more of Shinobu than to ever watch that abomination called 'Twilight'...

And really, who designed the Araragi House...0.0 they must be RICH...
Old 2012-01-28, 20:23   Link #39
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

I think an emoticon and a picture will suffice to convey my reaction to this particular episode:

And:

I think I literally enjoyed every minute of this episode. I also cracked up for some reason when this came up:
Spoiler for Karen:
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 20:47   Link #40
HandofFate

god damn, this whole episode was amazing.
I don't get why Tsubasa found it amusing Koyomi called his sister's name with -chan instead of just imouto?

Didn't expect Shinobu to show up and to have such a big part this episode. Instantly my new favorite now. First time as an anime watcher actually seeing her instead of just a background entity.

Don't really know anything about the origin of her and Koyomi. Why does she have to stay in his shadow again now? Love her way of talking and her laugh. I liked the care Koyomi gave her in the bath.

What's the difference with her breaking the chains, or Koyomi breaking the chains..I kind of seeing it both as the same thing.

I liked how Shinbu referred to Oshio as 'that kid'