Spoiler for I guess these could be spoilers:
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 04:03   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
I'm really glad to hear that. I actually enjoyed ( and it seems like im in a minority here... ) the last two books a whole lot. Frankly speaking, I've found all the movies extremely rushed (just personal opinion..). Splitting into two movies is a great way to make sure everythings covered, and give the book the movie it deserves.
I agree.. .as the movies have to cover thicker books.... they get more and more sketchy. Plot threads falling through cracks hither and yon.

The way the "pink lady" movie played it I'm surprised Potter's lady friend Cho didn't commit suicide for.... well, I was pretty unhappy with that even though it was obviously a shortcut to save time.

I guess they've just decided to blatantly ignore the fact all these kids are going to be in their 20s
That's actually fine with me -- I'll deal with that rather than a cast change.
Old 2008-08-09, 12:36   Link #23
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

I guess they've just decided to blatantly ignore the fact all these kids are going to be in their 20s
it is starting to become a problem isnt it ? Well i dont particularly mind either, if i could stomach the 'teens' in high school dramas, this should be a walk in the park
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-15, 06:02   Link #24
Coruja

NO! *cries*

I found this on mugglenet:

Quote:
Half-Blood Prince delayed until July 17th, 2009

Warner Brothers has just announced that Half-Blood Prince will be delayed. The film will instead be released on July 17th, 2009. From the press release:

In making the announcement, Mr. Horn stated, “Our reasons for shifting ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”

Read the full release at the link below.
Press Release:
BURBANK, CA, August 14, 2008 – Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that it has moved back the release date of “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” to Summer 2009. The sixth installment of the blockbuster Harry Potter franchise will now open day-and-date domestically and in the major international markets on July 17, 2009. The announcement was made by Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros.

In making the announcement, Mr. Horn stated, “Our reasons for shifting ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last Harry Potter film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers’ strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move ‘Half-Blood Prince’ to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.”

Jeff Robinov, President of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group, confirmed, “The release date change does not alter the production schedule for this or future Harry Potter films. Post-production on ‘Half-Blood Prince’ was completed on time, and the studio’s release plans for the two-part ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ will not be affected by this change. We know Harry Potter fans are eagerly anticipating seeing the final chapters unfold onscreen. In fact, the good news for them is that the gap will now be shortened between ‘Half-Blood Prince’ and the first part of ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.’”

Commenting on the release date change for “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” David Heyman, the producer of all the Harry Potter films, offered, “When Jeff Robinov explained the rationale behind moving the release date of ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’ to July 2009, it was immediately apparent that this offered us the potential to reach the widest possible audience. I am extremely proud of this latest film and of the work of David Yates and our incomparable cast; I believe we have developed and pushed the series further still. We are all looking forward to sharing it with Harry Potter fans around the world, even if we have to wait just a bit longer.”

David Yates, the director of both “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” and “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and who will also helm “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” added, “It has been a joy to work on ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.’ Dan, Rupert and Emma and all our returning young cast continue to blossom, and our new cast members bring fresh color and life to Hogwarts. Even as we put the finishing touches on this latest film, we are already beginning preparations on the final two films—we start filming in February—and I am excited to bring this remarkable series to the exciting and moving conclusion its loyal fans deserve.”

In “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,” Voldemort is tightening his grip on both the Muggle and wizarding worlds and Hogwarts is no longer the safe haven it once was. Harry suspects that dangers may even lie within the castle, but Dumbledore is more intent upon preparing him for the final battle that he knows is fast approaching. Meanwhile, the students are under attack from a very different adversary as teenage hormones rage across the ramparts. Love is in the air, but tragedy lies ahead and Hogwarts may never be the same again.

Warner Bros. Pictures presents a Heyday Films production, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.” David Yates, who directed last year’s summer blockbuster “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,” returns to direct “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.” David Heyman and David Barron are the producers, with Lionel Wigram serving as executive producer. Steve Kloves wrote the screenplay, based on the book by J.K. Rowling.

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson are reprising their roles as young wizards Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The film also stars Jim Broadbent, Helena Bonham Carter, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Michael Gambon, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, David Thewlis and Julie Walters. The cast also features David Bradley, Jessie Cave, Frank Dillane, Tom Felton, Matthew Lewis, Evanna Lynch, Helen McCrory, Natalia Tena, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, and Bonnie Wright.

“Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” will be released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.
All they want is money. Grr.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 06:25   Link #25
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Ching ching!
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 07:54   Link #26
Theowne
耳をすませば

That is fairly annoying. The wait suddenly goes from a few months to an year. By the way, the further and further this gets from the book release last year, the less and less interest will exist among casual book fans, who may have forgotten the series. Waiting 2 years after the release isn't the smartest idea I've ever heard.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 09:25   Link #27
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Just to summarise minus the entire reasons above:
Quote:
Next Potter movie delayed until July
The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Saturday, August 16, 2008
The release date for the sixth Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, has been pushed back to July 2009 from its original slot in November 2008, Warner Bros. has said. The delay is expected to disappoint millions of Harry Potter fans who have already been waiting more than a year for the latest film.

That does suck, haven't see a single movie this year and was waiting just for that xD
(yes yes i know there's been cool movies for 2008)
And July 09 is so far... ;_;

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 13:15   Link #28
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

They are actually already filming the 7th movie along the 6th movie. So it won't be too bad.

The delay sucks though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 13:26   Link #29
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
They are actually already filming the 7th movie along the 6th movie. So it won't be too bad.

The delay sucks though.
And the 8th movie as well, considering that they'll split Deathly Hallows in two.
They say that the release date still stands for those two movies.
Coruja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 13:43   Link #30
james0246

I find it funny that the film's due date changed the day that EW released their fall movie preview issue listing Harry Potter's November release date.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 14:37   Link #31
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

One say real-life Potter's Equus play in Broadway is a reason for the delay. Don't know whether it can have an impact on the movie's performance (since it is hard to understand American public's reaction to such things).

On the other hand, the company has finally aligned all last three movies along a nice line, 2009-2010-2011. And of course, there is the possibility of moving forward the 2010 one from winter to summer too. As long as they keep filming all of those asap, before the characters get even older (soon, Ginny might reach the age to finally be able to hold a rolling-pin over Harry's head) that is going to be fine with me. Though, if the 6th movie will be as bad as the 5th one, then it becomes a definitely no-care for me. Or maybe it is better this way, since instead of waiting two years in pain, I would be doing that for less than one and a half years.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 15:50   Link #32
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Been Waiting For This Movie and now it Been delayed
Old 2008-08-16, 16:58   Link #33
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I don't even know why I go to the cinema just to watch Harry Potter. It just seems to be a tradition for me to see every Pixar and Harry Potter movie everytime it's out.

I managed to read up to the 4th book when I was 11, I tried to start reading from the 5th book, after around 300 pages I gave up. I decided I hate reading. I really dont know what to expect from the movies anymore... I'll just watch the movie and stare at the pretty special effects. I'm not so looking forward to it, but I'll watch it once it's released.

-slightly offtopic- I have a feeling Rowling wanted to write about teenage angst but you don't have specials in novels like mangas...if Harry Potter was in manga format, these parts would have just been the specials ^_^'' I really liked the parts where it is about the magic world of HP, instead of the plot...
Old 2008-08-16, 17:12   Link #34
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
-slightly offtopic- I have a feeling Rowling wanted to write about teenage angst but you don't have specials in novels like mangas...if Harry Potter was in manga format, these parts would have just been the specials ^_^'' I really liked the parts where it is about the magic world of HP, instead of the plot...
The story is about a character and his growth. And, a story without any drama considering what in reality the character is going through would be considered as simplistic, superficial, and forced. Interestingly, the movie is exactly like that.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 19:08   Link #35
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Heh heh, that's actually true ^_^''

Maybe as a non-fan, I expect something different from HP. I want to see more of the magical world, more magic, more beast and I was dreaded in the last movie when there was no quidditch. I feel that the drama of HP really doesn't attract me as much as the magical world in it.

Please dont take my word seriously, because I dislike reading ;P
Old 2008-08-16, 23:11   Link #36
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
Heh heh, that's actually true ^_^''

Maybe as a non-fan, I expect something different from HP. I want to see more of the magical world, more magic, more beast and I was dreaded in the last movie when there was no quidditch. I feel that the drama of HP really doesn't attract me as much as the magical world in it.

Please dont take my word seriously, because I dislike reading ;P
I agree with you if you're referring to HBP. That was one case where I felt teenage melodrama and angst went too far....there's a murderous wizard on the loose! You'd think kissing in the hallways wouldn't be the most important priority.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 04:13   Link #37
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I actually prefer Magical School Life Harry Potter.

Seriously, the expositions on the magical world was awesome, their classes, pranks, rivalries, and escapades are interesting, the Voldemort issue and the yearly conspiracies were not all that but a necessary lynchpin (at least the first time for each was fun), but the Hogwarts 90210 exercise fucking suck.

I like it when characters like each other and stuff, kisses and hugs, crushes and loves, but shit, I wasn't into the series so Harry could mope about Cho Chang or whatever her name was!

Heck, I didn't realize I hated that new direction until I grew up a bit and understood it was Rowling playing Teen Drama. I was confused. I didn't understand their motivations, their actions, and their whatever until I became cynical enough to place all that in a teen drama framework, and bam! apple on the head, enlightenment in the soul...or should I say disillusionment?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 10:48   Link #38
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The Harry Potter books would not have been as successful as they were if the books didn't have the teen drama. Personally I enjoyed a lot of it, but certain parts in the 6th and 7th book made me cringe. However the 7th book is definitely my favorite, followed by the 4th, then 6th, then 5th, 3rd, second and then first.

Although for the way the movies were done, I'd order them... 3rd, 5th, 4th, 2nd, 1st in terms of how well captured I thought they were. (The biggest problem with the last two is Dumbledor's uncharacteristic demeanor which came from the transition of the first actor who died to the second one).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 14:42   Link #39
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The last movie was really bad

I hope that this one would be better
Old 2008-08-17, 15:33   Link #40
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I treat the movies as pretty slideshows and snippets from the books; in that view, they're always fun enough to watch. None of the Harry Potter movies ever strike me as the award-winning type though. They just aren't good enough stand-alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The Harry Potter books would not have been as successful as they were if the books didn't have the teen drama. Personally I enjoyed a lot of it, but certain parts in the 6th and 7th book made me cringe. However the 7th book is definitely my favorite, followed by the 4th, then 6th, then 5th, 3rd, second and then first.
Mine is roughly the opposite, and I disagree: the franchise has been a phenomenon since the first book...because of the first book, that one with the least (nonexistent?) teen drama, you know.

The second and third also have a rather low to nonexistent quota of Harry Creek, and they continued the boom, so I really don't think your statement holds up.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote