AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-04-27, 09:27   Link #161
John Smith

Spoiler for Chapter 96:
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 22:31   Link #162
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Spoiler for 96:
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 06:25   Link #163
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
Spoiler for 96:
Well there's a good chance I'm wrong. If they gave up I suppose he's going to whatever school they're going to. I saw Fumiya in the last chapter so I assumed he also took that test (Fumiya goes to an all boys school I don't think we know much more than that). You can do well on one test and not the other. It is possible. But your interpretation also makes sense. We'll find out eventually.
Old 2011-04-29, 23:17   Link #164
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
I saw Fumiya in the last chapter so I assumed he also took that test (Fumiya goes to an all boys school I don't think we know much more than that). You can do well on one test and not the other.
That's not how the entrance test system works...if it's a public high school they're heading to, that is. Students take the same test at whichever their first choice school is, after which they have an interview with a couple of teachers. Whether you pass or not depends both on your results and on your character (missing school/not going to class can count against you, which is what may have happened with Nitori). If you don't get into your first choice, you apply to another school that still has places open (the elite schools all fill up first), using the same written test results, though you have to sit another interview...or to private schools.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:28   Link #165
John Smith

So if Kaisei is a private school (which it appears to be) he would take a separate test?

Would staying in the nurse's office count for attendance? And do kids actually do that often if they can't go to classes normally?

Shimura leaves out too much at times. Things are probably more clear if you read the original Japanese and have an understanding of Japanese culture.
Old 2011-04-30, 09:43   Link #166
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Private schools usually have their tests on different days (at least they did in Okinawa, where I worked), so I assume Kaisei is actually a public school.

From what I understand, going to the nurse's office does count as attendance, but it would be marked on their record, so it can still count against them. The bigger issue might actually be that Nitori has gender identity disorder. They're not meant to discriminate, but it could be that the school simply didn't want to deal with that.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-05-06, 21:25   Link #167
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Private schools usually have their tests on different days (at least they did in Okinawa, where I worked), so I assume Kaisei is actually a public school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaisei_Academy

I was going by this.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 10:38   Link #168
John Smith

Well, I was wrong, which is a good thing. Shuu being alone would be pretty depressing. And wasn't there supposed to be a break? Maybe, I was seeing things. I'll take it in any case.

Spoiler for Chapter 97:

Not that I'm not somewhat eager for my hard copy to arrive but characters are the biggest part of the story and the characters have changed drastically. Not that I don't like 5th grade Shuu or Chiba. But I like the 10th grade versions a lot more at this point.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:47   Link #169
tezu

Spoiler for for chapter 97:
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 15:28   Link #170
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Spoiler for for chapter 97:
Is it that we know less about Takatsuki or is it that Takatsuki knows less about herself or is it that there is less to know about Takatsuki?

To me Shuu has a clear image of what a girl should be. A girl should be pretty, wear cute clothes, etc. One could say that she feels more comfortable the closer she is to representing her ideal person. I think imitating Maiko's haircut is somewhat representative of this.

On the other hand, Takatsuki is different and is less hung up about details. We've seen him say he wants a dick and would rather not have breasts. Strong statements to be sure but beyond that he hasn't shown any particular desire beyond clothing to represent traditional male gender roles.

Perhaps because Shuu's vision of herself is rejected by society that she embraces it all the harder. Whereas, Takatsuki hasn't met nearly as much resistance feels more comfortable being himself rather than attaining an ideal. And we see it in this chapter. Takatsuki expresses himself outwardly whereas Shuu is stuck in her uniform.

Additionally, Shuu has a role model in Yuki and Takatsuki does not. That's not to say Takatsuki hasn't been influenced but in the end the desire to imitate would be weaker for obvious reasons.

Edit:
Spoiler for Sweet Blue Flowers:

Last edited by John Smith; 2011-05-16 at 02:35.
Old 2011-05-23, 01:19   Link #171
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
touche. I'm not used to mangaka using actual real world schools in their stories!

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-06-22, 04:15   Link #172
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Just catching up on one of my favourite mangas, and boy does Shuu look cute as a waitress!
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 14:57   Link #173
tezu

Spoiler for chapter 99:

Last edited by tezu; 2011-07-14 at 04:09.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 17:51   Link #174
Sol Falling

That's terrible news. I'm shattered. I'm not sure I even want to read the chapter any more .
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 04:15   Link #175
tezu

I've been sensing doom ever since that Christmas chapter but I am really surprised that Shimura managed to pair up my favorite character with my least favorite one. The problem's not that Chiba is dating, but the person she is dating. Fumiya's been after her forever and yes, he hasn't done anything bad to her. Maybe he will help her change for the better and maybe he's earned some sympathy points when he was crying tears of joy after hearing Chiba's response, but he simply isn't likeable (I daresay the majority of the fandom dislikes him, too). Kou from Aoi Hana is in a similar situation, he's had unrequited feelings for Kyoko for ages but his personality is still very amiable...something went wrong with Fumiya's character - I even like this new guy (the timid one who keeps pining for Chiba) better xD

On a more positive note, Shuu has revealed his true identity to the cafe owner, so at least we get some decent development on this front. Takatsuki has been degraded to a side character, she rarely has any lines now...
Old 2011-07-22, 20:27   Link #176
John Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
I've been sensing doom ever since that Christmas chapter but I am really surprised that Shimura managed to pair up my favorite character with my least favorite one. The problem's not that Chiba is dating, but the person she is dating. Fumiya's been after her forever and yes, he hasn't done anything bad to her. Maybe he will help her change for the better and maybe he's earned some sympathy points when he was crying tears of joy after hearing Chiba's response, but he simply isn't likeable (I daresay the majority of the fandom dislikes him, too). Kou from Aoi Hana is in a similar situation, he's had unrequited feelings for Kyoko for ages but his personality is still very amiable...something went wrong with Fumiya's character - I even like this new guy (the timid one who keeps pining for Chiba) better xD
Fumiya's arrogant and self-centered. Definition of unlikable. Not that he's a terrible person. He's just a teenager who happens to be a bit of a jerk. I'm not terribly hung up over FumiyaxChiba. For one, I don't think it'll last (I mean a couple has to break up at some point right? ShuuxAnna doesn't count since they got back together). And second, I've somewhat warmed up to the idea after a few months notice. Chiba needs to move on from Shuu and well Fumiya treats her well enough at the very least.

Quote:
On a more positive note, Shuu has revealed his true identity to the cafe owner, so at least we get some decent development on this front. Takatsuki has been degraded to a side character, she rarely has any lines now...
Shuu's life has gone (comparatively) smoothly hasn't it? Although, I guess the opportunity is there if you're willing to take it but he has certainly had his fair share of luck.

Takatsuki has been a side character since Shuu got together with Anna. Although, middle school was the beginning of the end. Shuu is the main character and he manages to make life interesting for the reader. Chiba is simply a more interesting, insecure and conflicted co-lead despite not having gender issues. Hell, Mako and Doi are (or were) more confused than Takatsuki is. I'm hoping something will happen to knock her out of her comfort zone.

(In any case, someone screwed up somewhere. The scanlation says Fumiya went to a boys' school in chapter 88.)
Old 2011-07-24, 04:40   Link #177
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's going to take me a while to get used to Doi's new hairstyle. I'm too used to seeing him with a messy style.

& as expected on Nitorin to tell the cafe woman the truth. Will be interesting to see what comes about him working there.
Old 2011-09-24, 14:10   Link #178
John Smith

Spoiler for 101:
Old 2011-09-24, 20:19   Link #179
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
Spoiler for 101:
Spoiler for 101: