AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-09, 13:44   Link #3421
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just out of curiosity, how good is Rosetta Stone for learning Japanese anyway?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 14:00   Link #3422
Alchemist007
*Author

I used it for a tiny bit of Russian, it's an ok way to get the feel of the language and on the same level as something you'd want if you were just briefly visiting Japan, but ultimately less effective than a real education. If you want an introduction, it's OK but I'd suggest just going with a teacher.
Old 2011-10-09, 14:47   Link #3423
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity, how good is Rosetta Stone for learning Japanese anyway?
Rosetta has a pretty bad reputation for any language that does not share your language's alphabet and grammatical structures in some ways.

It focused too much on the whole "natural learning" schpiel. That can work if you're working with some ideas of where to go, for example if you already know a romance language (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.) and want to learn another in a fortnight.

Japanese however requires three new writing systems, but more importantly very different grammatical structures. That requires organized teaching, or at the very least organized sources of information.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:00   Link #3424
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Komari - the master of your fate (as evidenced by the signature).
What does that have to do with this
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:57   Link #3425
Alchemist007
*Author

To be a master of fate is to have some magical control, which is what Link seems to be doing.
Old 2011-10-10, 07:58   Link #3426
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
How can i get job in japan if i dont know japanese its very bad.

so anyone can help me learn something please? I will be your best friend
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 18:46   Link #3427
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edijs View Post

so anyone can help me learn something please? I will be your best friend
Easy, you have a degree, come to any English teaching school, live life as an ALT and just speak/teach English.
If you hang out in Roppoingi, you can be part of the gaijin bubble that never bothers to learn or use Japanese and just piss about here

PS: I am not encouraging this, it just gives the rest of us Westerners a bad name, when people come to mess about here with no aim in their lives.
Try for online skype courses with webcam which will get you in touch with native speakers from afar if there are no courses near you.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 19:44   Link #3428
Kudryavka

Quote:
To be a master of fate is to have some magical control, which is what Link seems to be doing.
Ok, I get it now, lol. Thanks for explaining
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 13:37   Link #3429
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
This was post i made mistake by diffrent theards, my mistake.

Last edited by Edijs; 2011-10-12 at 13:35.
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 03:21   Link #3430
Hatsune_AR

Learning Hiragana

How about this website to learn Hiragana?

http://www.darugo.jp/

So cute illustrations!!
We can watch stroke-order animation and hear native pronunciation !!
Hatsune_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 07:21   Link #3431
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Think i'm learning japanese think i'm learning japanese, I really think so! ba da da dan dan dan~

Sorry XD just had to do it, a little bored.
Old 2011-10-27, 08:47   Link #3432
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have started self-studying Japanese few weeks ago and I was able to get both writing systems down and can read them proficiently in the matters of two weeks. I focused mostly on reading the characters before going on writing them. Also, making flash cards in Anki were a big help in remembering them and it's free (open source software).

If one still has trouble with the Kana just from charts and flashcards, Remembering the Kana by James Heisig (the person who also make the Remembering the Kanji series) also a big help. It's relatively inexpensive and it's what I used to get the Hiragana/Katakana down within weeks.
Old 2011-10-27, 15:32   Link #3433
Alchemist007
*Author

If you want to continue learning Kanji I'd first recommend Japanese: The Written Language by Eleanor Jorden. It's perfect in introducing and utilizing them in reading examples. I just wish I could find something as good for more kanji, since this goes up to 400. I wish I could find a book good enough to continue learning the same way.

ed: This seems to be a very useful program http://ankisrs.net/

The JLPT material is great as well as the 8555 sentences.

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2011-10-27 at 16:17.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 04:28   Link #3434
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm trying to learn Japanese right now but damn, I think I must review my basic English sentence structuren again. Damn the particles, verb conjunctions and many rule excepted verbs adjective etc...

But I will learn it, I'll bet I will you. Hehe
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 09:29   Link #3435
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edijs View Post
Would there be a point? Unable to communicate with many people around you unless they speak English.. Not fun.

&& Ohhh, I start a Japanese class next year, it's a 1 year class though.. probably 1-2 evenings a week.. September - July..

Is that long enough? I mean, I pick up things quickly.. which is good.. but like since there's so much to learn one year might not be enough right?

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-29, 00:16   Link #3436
Alchemist007
*Author

Enough for what? 1 year is enough to learn Hiragana and Katakana. My teacher didn't start kanji (the actual hard stuff) until start of year 2. Of course you should take it to get some basics done right. 70% of my first semester's class didn't make it to semester 2, so it's one way to figure out if you have realistic expectations.
Old 2011-10-29, 01:25   Link #3437
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Enough for what? 1 year is enough to learn Hiragana and Katakana. My teacher didn't start kanji (the actual hard stuff) until start of year 2. Of course you should take it to get some basics done right. 70% of my first semester's class didn't make it to semester 2, so it's one way to figure out if you have realistic expectations.
An afternoon is enough to learn Hiragana and Katakana. Maybe a week or two to really master it. It's only 90 simple characters; if you're diligent you'll know them in no time.

In response to "is that long enough?" I ask the same question: long enough for what? There is no hard line between "knowing the language" and "not knowing the language." You're going to start off, then know a bit more, then know a bit more, then start to be able to say some things, then start to be able to say some more complicated things, then start to understand simple conversations, then more complicated conversations, and then you'll be nearly fluent, and then pretty much fluent, and eventually very fluent. But nowhere along the way is there a clear landmark that says "now I know the language." It's all gradual.
Old 2011-10-29, 01:39   Link #3438
Alchemist007
*Author

I meant from a (standard?) Japanese class, all you will learn is those kanas in 1 year. I doubt many average students would be passing J-101 if they had to learn Kanji right off the bat as well.
Old 2011-10-29, 02:28   Link #3439
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
I meant from a (standard?) Japanese class, all you will learn is those kanas in 1 year. I doubt many average students would be passing J-101 if they had to learn Kanji right off the bat as well.
At my school students are expected to have a vocabulary of ~150 kanji by the end of first year. It's fully possible for a first-year course to require students to master kana within the first month or two and start gradually introducing simple kanji after that. I mean, imagine what it must be like in Chinese language classes. You can't exactly use pinyin all year.

I don't know how the language program is set up at your school, but that sounds too slow to me, personally. Anyone self-studying, especially, should have the diligence to learn all the kana reliably well by the third week. Without mastery of the kana, you can't move on into anything more advanced; its the most basic of the basic.
Old 2011-10-29, 02:46   Link #3440
Alchemist007
*Author

Well my teacher emphasized vocabulary more than anything the first year. The second year we learned ~200 Kanji and more advanced sentence structure. IMO it's a good way to get the students knowing the words and speaking rather than throwing that many foreign letters at the same time. I mean I certainly would've handled a good number of Kanji just fine but it is what it is. Unfortunately my school didn't even have a proper degree for Japanese, just 4 semesters with the best teacher in the world

Tags
hiragana