Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-21, 19:21   Link #1
Seitsuki
Onee!

Club suggestions

All right, it's almost the start of school (yeah, down here we actually start school at the START of the year ;D ) and as a leader of our school anime club any suggestions are welcome.

Some more details:
-All guys senior high (well technically the last 5 years of K13.)
-Slots are two 45 min sessions a week, but practically it's a bit less due to set-up time, people coming in time, finishing-early-to-pack-up-time and all (so don't say Conan or something -_-)
-The club members are, ok, to be really honest from what I've seen over the years, mostly Narutards who cat-call and make stupid comments and stuff, so please don't strain their intelligence (kidding.)
-They also seem to be incapable of dealing with anything outside the realm of action. To give you an idea: once they voted DRAGONAUT over things such as Higurashi, Shana and Haruhi. No, seriously. It went something like "omg wow dragons!" (ok kidding again..)

What's been shown most recently:
-Gundam 00
-Death note
-Code Geass + R2
-Some random School Rumble eps

Was gonna try start with Bakemonogatari but maybe that would be a bit beyond them. (ok I'm really exaggerating by now but still.)

So?
Old 2010-01-21, 19:41   Link #2
Yokai

Gurren Lagann was suprisingly really good to show. I say this because we had anime club meetings in my small highschool with only about 4 regular other members. However, when I was taking lead in my senior high school project, I decided to sort of try to open it up as an animation study session to sort of study and discuss Japanese Anime. Gurren Lagann was suprisingly the best anime to catch attention of both people who don't really like anime too much (they found it funny how they poked fun at their own genre), and it also does well with the "in" crowd of anime.

I would also suggest more serious shorter shows that you can complete within the year. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a good one, if you don't mind the whole class crying. It would be interesting to hear how they respond (sadly, that wasn't an option for me.) TM8.0 would be interesting because there's quite a bit of surprising elements of "action and intense" feelings, while still having that feel of being a drama, especially toward the end.

The other shows I showed were FLCL (Hard to get that past school board, but it did) and Cowboy Bebop. Bebop is actually hard to make everyone happy with, because there's a lot of episodes where there's not very much that is told about the actual overarching storyline. FLCL was ok, but it's treated more as a comedy (even though I feel there's a lot of serious undertones to the show after assessment and 11 times watching it. )

All guys school is interesting though, only because most of the school I went to there were more girls into anime than boys, atleast a little bit. But again, I went to small schools.

Choosing shows that are short, but sweet, are probably best, since there's not that many weeks in a school year to allow you to cover all bases. But Gurren Lagann may be a good start imo.
Old 2010-01-21, 23:21   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm... actiony but with a higher quality level? Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood comes to mind. Of course it's expected to be 63 episodes or so.

Another high quality action show that is a bit older would be Crest Of The Stars, starts a bit slow but begins to heat up. 13 episodes.

Full Metal Panic is another possible choice. Has some interesting aspects from a film analysis perspective in that the second season is comedy while the third is drama.

Read or Die OVAs could be fun as there are only 3 of them so it's not a huge commitment.

Have you gotten around to Haruhi Suzumiya yet? I have to think that would be a great one to watch in a group. Probably best to watch it in DVD order. You could even add in the 2nd season in chronological order. But I think it's important to open with the Episode 00 Adventures of Mikuru.

Chrome Shelled Regios is another action one. And Soul Eater, although that is another one with a lot of episodes.

You might also try showing one or two episodes from different style anime to see if anything captures their interest. Cross Game for example has big hook in the first episode. It's still probably too slice of life for them, but you never know, and one episode would give you the chance to show that there are other things out there besides action.

Trying to think of some others with good first episode hooks. Inuyasha of course. And Ranma 1/2, although there is some topless scenes in Ranma, probably a bad idea to show in school. (Never mind that that topless girl is really a guy, and so you ought to be squicked instead of titillated).

Chrono Crusade maybe? Oh, and the first episode of Hayate the Combat Butler. Eyeshield 21 has a decent first episode hook, although I lost interest after the first 20 episodes or so.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-01-22, 01:26   Link #4
Seitsuki
Onee!

Preferably, we'd like to keep the schedule to no more than one series a term.. running on a ~1.5 ep/session timetable and allowing for holidays/take-over of theatre etc anyhting longer than a 26ep season is pushing it. That would rule out quite alot.. (inuyasha, FMA, Hayate, Eyeshield etc)
Haruhi was meant to be shown last year, but episode 00 is, to those who haven't seen or understand the show, very WEIRD. I remember when I first watched it thinking "wtf" too ^^;
hm we'll see
They've seen some bits of Fumoffu, so maybe S1 might work. On the long side tho
Same with TTGL, bit long but will put up as a choice cos it's too epic not too
Tokyo magnitude seems too depressing..
FLCL is pure crack. Might be worth a shot
OVAs, we'll probably keep to the "after school movie" section. Oh yeah, feel free to recommend movies too!
Anything else guys?
Old 2010-01-22, 04:45   Link #5
NoLongerSane

I could recommend Trigun for the gun fights and comedy though it becomes serious in the later half of the series.

BIG O is another one to try to conisider. Mech fights with two seasons that are 13 eps a piece.

I second the recommendation of the FMP and TTGL series.

Have you considered showing NGE?

Last edited by NoLongerSane; 2010-01-22 at 05:14.
Old 2010-01-22, 17:14   Link #6
devildog23
Summerlurking

I'd say consider some of the anime that aired on adult swim or toonami like you've already shown (Geass, Deathnote), like GITS or the already suggested Trigun or something

Maybe Darker than Black...? It goes by arcs and it has action with a lot of mystery. I think it would work and since it goes by arcs you could skip an earlier arc because some of the early ones don't pertain to the main plot...I dunno if you've seen it or not.

Karas: The Prophecy and Revelation - its only 6 episodes so its kinda on the short side, but its pure action and eye-candy. And after showing it you could show another 13 episode anime.

Zegapain - mecha but its 26 episodes. It has a really crazy twist so people might enjoy that.

One that really good, but rarely ever talked about is The Skull Man (13 episodes)
Old 2010-01-22, 19:32   Link #7
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
-They also seem to be incapable of dealing with anything outside the realm of action. To give you an idea: once they voted DRAGONAUT over things such as Higurashi, Shana and Haruhi. No, seriously. It went something like "omg wow dragons!" (ok kidding again..)

What's been shown most recently:
-Gundam 00
-Death note
-Code Geass + R2
-Some random School Rumble eps
Just wondering, but from what you have posted it seems they like action with some fanservice. I do not know what the limitations of what animes can be shown at the club, but I would like to recommend Godannar. Mech action and heavy fanservice.
Old 2010-01-22, 19:48   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd recommend devoting five minutes each session and watching an episode of Higepiyo before the "main feature."
Old 2010-01-22, 19:57   Link #9
Seitsuki
Onee!

Skull Man seems pretty interesting, yeah I've never heard of it ^^; but would probably fill up half a term pretty well
Trigun also seems pretty good, as with Darker Than Black. Hm if you had to choose, which one would you say is better?
Zegapain was... based on a game right? Apparently the first ep is pretty bad, if it comes down to a vote.. well, we could try
NGE is, hm
well, interestingly enough I never considered it >_> and it ends with some real mind screw moments but it actually is a pretty good choice. Will put up there

(edit) fanservice is, hm
theres a teacher sitting there supervising every session xD (one of our best Japanese teachers) and something that service packed could get us some talks.. not to mention the fact that the guys are pretty immature, things could get pretty bad.. (thank god they didn't fully get the Table-kun scene)
Higepiyo? Can't find much info on it, are the eps seriously 5 minutes?
Old 2010-01-22, 20:43   Link #10
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Skull Man seems pretty interesting, yeah I've never heard of it ^^; but would probably fill up half a term pretty well
Trigun also seems pretty good, as with Darker Than Black. Hm if you had to choose, which one would you say is better?
Zegapain was... based on a game right? Apparently the first ep is pretty bad, if it comes down to a vote.. well, we could try
NGE is, hm
well, interestingly enough I never considered it >_> and it ends with some real mind screw moments but it actually is a pretty good choice. Will put up there

(edit) fanservice is, hm
theres a teacher sitting there supervising every session xD (one of our best Japanese teachers) and something that service packed could get us some talks.. not to mention the fact that the guys are pretty immature, things could get pretty bad.. (thank god they didn't fully get the Table-kun scene)
Higepiyo? Can't find much info on it, are the eps seriously 5 minutes?
Lol, so Godannar would definitely be out of the question as an anime to show. That would also take out FMP The Second Raid as well. I was going to mention that you could try Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventure. It is a 14 episode mech anime that is more towards being on the lighthearted side and is in the same universe of Tenchi Muyo.
Old 2010-01-22, 21:24   Link #11
devildog23
Summerlurking

Quote:
My favorite out of the three is probably Darker than Black, but my tastes don't really conform with the tastes of the so called "narutard(sp?)". It has plenty of action and the main character is definitely one of my favorites out of every anime I've watched cause hes just so damn cool.
Old 2010-01-23, 07:41   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Higepiyo is based on a "4-koma" comic strip similar to those that appear in American daily newspapers like Peanuts. It tells the story of a young Japanese family that adopts a strange, bearded chick while attending a festival. It turns out the chick can talk, has a passion for yakisoba, and aspires to follow the samurai path. (Higepiyo watches those same after-school televised samurai dramas that School Rumble's Tsukamoto Tenma enjoys so much.) He becomes the fast friend of the boy, Hiroshi, and helps protect him from school bullies. Naturally Higepiyo also becomes the darling of all the girls in Hiroshi's elementary school class which further enrages the bully.

A complete episode is about five minutes including the opening song.

There's another show, Chi's Sweet Home, which follows a similar format (a lost kitten gets adopted by a Japanese family). Chi can also be spectacularly funny at times, but it's got more of a "cute" style. Higepiyo has more of an "edge," which is enhanced by Paku Romi's knock-out performance in the title role.
Old 2010-01-23, 20:23   Link #13
Seitsuki
Onee!

Wow. That sounds utterly awesome.
Wasn't Tenchi Muyo some harem romance thing? Not sure if that's gonna satisfy the audience we have.. ^^;
I haven't watched either Trigun or DtB myself, will try to marathon some of both then I guess we can show clips from both then leave it to a vote
Old 2010-01-23, 21:40   Link #14
NoLongerSane

I am going to recommmend also The Tower of Druaga. It is a fantasy anime based on a game that has good action scenes along with comedy. I was tempted to bring up Betterman, another mecha, to the recommendations but this one uses alot of bioloogy and psychology terms that may be a turn off.
Closed Thread