AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-04-01, 15:16   Link #13381
Gravitas Free Zone

It seems like a balance of less game content (only the rainbow strike actually does anything) with a lot more obvious fluff (Waterworld, and the zombie game).
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 08:47   Link #13382
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Didn't carry hard enough.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-02, 15:15   Link #13383
Gravitas Free Zone

During the course of the T57 Heavy's On-Track a month ago, I got to within a couple of percentage points of a second Mark of Excellence on the Chaffee. Then it hit the final weekend and I utterly failed to carry horrible teams in Tier 8 games, so it slid down to about 80% and I became busy with other things.

The Crusader reached the same point. I stuck with it this time; any game over 800 damage helped a bit, over 1000 damage helped a lot. I did bump up my APCR supply temporarily, but it turned out that most of the time I only used what I would typically have used in my normal loadout.

Images
I've made a Technicolor horror of the Batcave.

I'm conflicted on the argument that MoEs encourage campy play because of the damage requirement. More often than not I'd actually feel compelled to take greater risks because I knew that if my teammates were shooting at tanks and I was just lurking around in the back, that there would be less damage for me to do (especially if I was using the 6-pdr gun's 75 alpha in a Tier 7 game, trying not to be seen while teammates that did three times as much damage per shot were slugging it out). So there were more drive-by attempts and pursuits of fleeing wounded into the danger zone.

I'm going to take another run at closing up the final 2.5% or so on the Chaffee's second MoE. The crew could use the grinding anyway. Strongly tempted to overspend on APCR; the 75mm M17 has average AP penetration (the 6-pdr is much better), but the Chaffee is much better at the drive-by than the Crusader. The problem is in any sort of midrange engagement; the M17's AP round has a lackadaisical muzzle velocity and a bit of an arc at range; the APCR round is practically a laser by comparison. And of course the APCR penetration is at least credible if I'm trying to take snapshots at a Soviet heavy while driving around like a maniac.
Old 2015-04-06, 12:52   Link #13384
Gravitas Free Zone

Login Mission Day 30: Return of the Combat Cars

Images
Gets out the H35...

Those were consecutive games... I could have gone for a third, but why bother.

The only reliable way for the T7 to damage an H35 is by ramming it, so when this sort of Tier 2 gift tank silliness occurs, I usually end up focusing on whatever other actually dangerous tanks are out there. Thus having to blow 20K on ammo at Tier 2 just so I can shoot T18s in the face and have them explode before I do, instead of merrily soaking damage from very silly guns.

Which is too bad, actually. I want to see if I can get a new personal record for most shots bounced off my armor in a single game.

The whole MicroMaus fiasco and power creep means that there are a lot of guns that can go through the H35's armor now. On top of the Tetrarchs and TDs, Cruisers are a significant threat.
Old 2015-04-06, 16:05   Link #13385
VDZ

Not exactly surprising that you'd perform well shooting exclusively gold with a low pen vehicle on a tier where nobody shoots gold.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 16:35   Link #13386
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Speaking of low tiers, the supertesters "leaked" yet another low tier prem: a BT-7 with a 76mm derp.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 18:23   Link #13387
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigon 13 View Post
Speaking of low tiers, the supertesters "leaked" yet another low tier prem: a BT-7 with a 76mm derp.
Ah yes, the Finnish monstrosity.

And yes, premium ammo at Tier 2. Gotta keep those T18s honest.
Old 2015-04-07, 11:46   Link #13388
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
And yes, premium ammo at Tier 2. Gotta keep those T18s honest.
You could just play a tank with proper maneuverability or natural high penetration. With a BT-2, for example, you can easily flank them and kill them. Or you could just accept that with the exception of a few tanks, not every tank can kill every other tank, and rely on your teammates to kill the tanks you can't. (Well, technically if you're really good you can kill anything; even a H35 can theoretically track a T18 and attack its rear.)

It's not like the T18s have been a problem since the nerf. (Personally, I didn't mind them even before the nerf, but I'm biased because I usually play faster vehicles.)
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 12:28   Link #13389
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I forgot how to play tier 5, let alone tier 2. I've become addicted to failing at tiers 8-10.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 12:51   Link #13390
Gravitas Free Zone

I can only assure you that I do appreciate the finer points of guile, speed, and using, say, a Tetrarch to fight T18s. However, this is getting away from the main reason that many people bring out T18s, H35s, and MicroMauses during outbursts of weak-gun Tier 2 gift tanks: Because life isn't fair.

Though putting aside the Tetrarch, which requires money to get, the Te-Ke is actually a fairly good free gift tank in terms of its gun, camo value, and view range. They'll probably never do that again.
Old 2015-04-07, 19:57   Link #13391
The 48th Ronin
EISAI HARAMASUKOI

Hard to kill T18s, unless you're Tier III.

GRAND SPONSOR NO TOKYO BAY, OH CHRISTMAS
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 21:17   Link #13392
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Hard to kill T18s, unless you're Tier III.
The PanzerJaeger easily outspots the T18 and has no real problem defeating its armor with the 47mm gun; the only complication is that it can't be a stand-up fight, since the PJ has no armor to speak of.

The faster lights have a good chance of outmaneuvering the T18; the Cruisers have a reasonable chance of penetrating it from the front along the way.
Old 2015-04-12, 10:19   Link #13393
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

The little ChaffACE that could!

Images
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-12, 17:58   Link #13394
Gravitas Free Zone

Fortunately, I still have chat off: Match was ending in a cap race, with a comfortable lead on our side with 3 vs. 2 cappers. There's one TD coming back to defend against us, but we all have hard cover.

Then one of our cappers decides to break cover and take a potshot at the TD.

Predictably the TD immediately blows their face off. Match ends in a draw.

Turning chat back on to level a firehose of profanity at the guy would have taken too long, so I get to avoid being reported for insults for another day.
Old 2015-04-12, 19:04   Link #13395
The 48th Ronin
EISAI HARAMASUKOI

Finally, the Soviet discount. Now I successfully bought a Church III, my first prem tank.

Old 2015-04-12, 19:36   Link #13396
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Finally, the Soviet discount. Now I successfully bought a Church III, my first prem tank.
Sadly, the Churchill III is not the tier 5 powerhouse it used to be.

----------------------------

And well, this weekend finally gave me the oprtunity to complete the KV-4 grind. Now up to the ST-I. Also halfway trought the St.Emil grind (This thing is painfully slow, but the gun is quite nice).
Old 2015-04-12, 20:24   Link #13397
Gravitas Free Zone

The Churchill III can still intimidate newbies that don't know where to shoot things, but it's definitely something that has to rely on angling to cover its various weakspots. Unfortunately the entire turret is a relative weakspot.

But when I started out a couple of years ago, I ran a 50% crew through there with no idea what I was doing, and it still managed a 57% WR over 350+ games. (The last 150-200 games would fall into the "attempted seal clubbing" category instead of "I have no idea what I'm doing.")

I got lucky this weekend, most of my teams were good enough (with the usual amazingly terrible exceptions) that I managed to reverse the horrifying slide that I was going through. (The curse of being a blue player, actually playing is a terrible experience because you don't want to screw it up.)

Images
Yay, blue.

Now I've got a few hours to ponder whether I want to blow some free XP to finish up a grind or two, just so I can put the crew training sale to use while it's running. The sensible alternative is that I just keep grinding normally until the next crew training sale, but my usual complaint is that grinding the same things over and over gets really boring. Especially in this game.
Old 2015-04-12, 20:30   Link #13398
The 48th Ronin
EISAI HARAMASUKOI

Well, whatever the case, I still need a crew trainer and credit maker so, there.

Old 2015-04-12, 21:30   Link #13399
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Forgot to mention that the x5 madness + the free Chi-Nu Kai madness screwed quite a lot my performance. But I managed to stay in the blue zone (mostly by abusing the Chaffee).
Old 2015-04-13, 12:44   Link #13400
Gravitas Free Zone

Since I'm a $ucker for completing tank sets (all the KVs!), I bought the Großtraktor over the weekend.

Still working on a good plan for using it in the inevitable Tier 5 games, considering that it's about as large and poorly-armored as a T-28, but has to work with a microderp gun. I did buy a moderate HEAT load, but actually forgot to fire any of it in both of the Tier 5 games that I've been in. Not that the HEAT penetration is any real use, it can barely penetrate the sides of many Tier 5s.

It's not bad at all for derping around at Tier 3, though. The maneuverability and gun depression/elevation managed to surprise people, and while it's still totally unarmored, at least it has more company in that regard. The microderp does predictable microderp damage against low tiers.

Of course, I was using three-skill crews from the E-50M and Leopard 1 in it...

Minor silliness: The rear-mounted machine gun turret managed to confuse me once regarding which direction I was driving.

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks