Notices

Old 2006-10-05, 08:51   Link #101
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
Really? I'm slightly disappointed. I thought that D.Grayman would be a "slightly more mature" shounen like FMA was. I never get a "omg wtf ownage" factor from those shows you compared it to, only "omg wtf cheesy" factor. Except One Piece. One Piece is just brilliant, but I don't watch it for the fighting scenes. I like it for the unique character concepts and the fact that it has such a strong main cast where I like all the characters.

The thing is, I would love these shounen action shows even more if the fighting scenes were actually good. Utawarerumono's fighting scenes were repetitive, but what was shown was satisfying.

I doubt I'll watch it for the comedy either, if it's similar to what was found in the first episode. What I did like about D.Grayman's first episode was the fact that it had a certain atmosphere (which is what One Piece does well too, it really makes you feel as if you are at sea too).
let me tell you this, i thought Naruto was crap when i saw the first episode, but that changed quickly when weeks later i rewatched it from the start to the genin exams, gray-man just got starte and the real crew ddnt even get introduced yet, it may look a bit childish if you watch the first episode, but heck wasnt Naruto looking childish as well when it started? (dont flame me.. for that..)

i know what you mean about the more mature part, but this episode was more of a promo start off instead of the real deal what you saw in this episode were basics, flatt basics without any development at all.. you think you saw it all and that it will stay that way but i can assue you it will definently wont be like that

you havent even seen everything of Allen yet, in character he is a bit like Edward Elric.. havent you ever wonderd how he got his arm? and no it isnt some cheesy thing like the 1st episode was in total... if you do stop watching im telling you, youre gonna miss something good thats worth your watching time
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 10:16   Link #102
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Actually, D.Gray-Man is a slightly more mature shounen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA-
let me tell you this

Heh. Though the first episode wasn't good, I guess I'll keep watching for a while.I've learned that with anime, things can be drastically different after the first episode....Narutaru anyone? Though it won't change as drastically as Narutaru, I see *some* potential in D.Gray-Man even if the first episode was mediocre.

And people keep saying that D.Gray-Man gets really good, so I've got nothing to lose (It sucks when you *know* something will get good but people are put off when it doesn't meet their expectations immediately). Naruto and Bleach aren't really my thing (Bleach isn't *that* bad, but I'm fed up of no characters dying and the fighting scenes don't really get my blood going. One Piece makes up for that with its interesting characters) so hopefully it isn't too similar those series.

Hope it gets good because there are many other anime to watch this season....I'll have to drop something eventually!
Old 2006-10-05, 10:22   Link #103
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I know I said all that, but I still think this anime adaption will not live up to it's expectations.

My Nighterman senses are tingling~

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 10:35   Link #104
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 1
The is one of my another attempts to watch shounen anime.

I agree with some people when I say: cheesy. It made me feel like I'm playing an RPG, hehe. I hope the Earl of Mill has a story behind his actions other than "screwing the world". Those Akuma scenes made me go WTF EW, I'm gonna see more of them huh...

Loved the opening and ending song. I'm looking forward to them~ I'll continue watching it for Allen, he seems like an interesting guy. And Timconpy! So cute. :3

Oh and! What does D.Gray-man mean? Or will we know later? :O

Last edited by Lilith; 2006-10-05 at 10:45.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:29   Link #105
xxxButterfliesxxx

Send a message via AIM to xxxButterfliesxxx Send a message via MSN to xxxButterfliesxxx
Quote:
Loved the opening and ending song. I'm looking forward to them~ I'll continue watching it for Allen, he seems like an interesting guy.
The songs were awesome!!!!!!!!! Ahhhh! I love them! And in my opinion the voice of Allen suits him. Can't wait for the next episode. I also thought it went with the manga well, but there were two things that stood out in my mind (as differences). The first was that I didn't expect his anti-akuma weapon to glow or what ever it did...i thought it was just black. And another was the death of Crea. I was disappointed in the fact that they didn't kill her with a cross like it was done in the manga.
xxxButterfliesxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 13:37   Link #106
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I thought the show was fairly solid for a standard Shounen Jump derivative.

It didn't have any special spark and struck me as a somewhat pedestrian "Fullmetal Alchemist meets Trinity Blood" concept, but it is watchable.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 15:33   Link #107
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith

Oh and! What does D.Gray-man mean? Or will we know later? :O

quotes from an interview in volume 3 chapter 17 page 20

Q: What's the meaning of the title "D.Gray-man"?

A: I just made this up myself out of thin air, which means that there are lots of meanings to it. It has something to do with Allen, and also with the other characters too... by the way, before I came up with "D.Gray-man", the other likely title was "Dolls", and before that, "Kuronowa" (Black Noah) and "Zone".
Old 2006-10-05, 16:17   Link #108
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

As I have been at this thread lately, my view on the first episode is that it was average. Neither mind blowing not dull and dragging.

However, I do confess that my entrails were cringing and my hairs stood up watching the Akuma entering the man's body like a suit of flesh. Of course, that scene was not graphically or explicitly shown, but the sounds of flesh being torn apart and the shadows blasted my imagination that by the next minute, goosebumps were scattered throughout all my body.

I do sense good fortune for D.Gray-man. Allen's anti-akuma arm and red eye are just too creepy cool for not to stop noticing. His character never at any moment made a fool of himself to the absurd for gratuitious comedy, and whatever vendetta or business he has against the Earl of the Millenium, he doesn't end up consumed in rage or absorbed by the powers he wields.
He thinks of the people and is willing to finish the torment with ease of the souls trapped in the Akuma.

I must assume that the other two exorcists shown alongside Allen in the opening and ending theme come from Japan, isn't that right?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 16:25   Link #109
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Looks pretty intresting and pretty violent as well. Dont mind the animation think ill stick with it for while and see what happens so far the best thing about it is the opening song imo
Old 2006-10-05, 20:27   Link #110
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I also did some reading up on D.Gray-man before watching ep. 1. I actually liked it. I don't mind the Akuma since Witchblade also used organic machinery. Since it's airing early, I expected the major violence to be shaded, off-screen, etc. Maybe they'll add it in for the DVD release ala Witchblade. But the way the violence was portrayed did make me flinch in some scenes. Allen's hand really was creepy imo.

The Earl of Millenium is just too weird for words.
Spoiler:

Looking forward to more of this series. Not your typical shonen title imo.
Old 2006-10-06, 00:12   Link #111
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
I must assume that the other two exorcists shown alongside Allen in the opening and ending theme come from Japan, isn't that right?
Allen Walker came originaly from England (well duuuuuuh )
the other two a his side are also excorsists, the girl is Lenalee Lee (chinese) and the guy is Yu Kanda (japanese)
Old 2006-10-06, 02:06   Link #112
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA-
quotes from an interview in volume 3 chapter 17 page 20

Q: What's the meaning of the title "D.Gray-man"?

A: I just made this up myself out of thin air, which means that there are lots of meanings to it. It has something to do with Allen, and also with the other characters too... by the way, before I came up with "D.Gray-man", the other likely title was "Dolls", and before that, "Kuronowa" (Black Noah) and "Zone".
Thanks a lot for answering~ So it's made up, huh. Better than the rest of suggested names. I could find meaning to "Gray" and "man", but the "D" is a little hard.
Old 2006-10-06, 03:18   Link #113
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Dorian.Gray-Man?

At least when I first saw the Gothic-ish cover of the manga, that was my first thing that came into my mind.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 03:25   Link #114
Vola^

Hmm :x it didnt seem too childish to me I think the main bad guy looks kinda stupid though I have a feeling it will end up quite a nice anime to watch
Vola^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 03:44   Link #115
evil-samurai

Although the Production side of things in the anime could be a bit better I really! enjoyed the show. The overall atmosphere of the show was great and the switch from scene to scene was pretty decent.

The voice acting of Allen was Great! =) and the rest of the minor characters in this episode did a god job, now I'm interested in how the main cast of the show will sound. I like the opening and ending songs alot, the opening song is really addictive >.> Well... looking forward to next week.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 04:48   Link #116
SilverChakra
Nee-chan

Talking

Wooohoo! Just watched the first episode of D. Gray Man and I really must say...WAU! It seems very promising. The animation is good, the voice acting for Allen is FANASTIC! I love his voice (yeah, yeah...I know it's a gilr behind the voice, but so what ^__^ ) and he seems so cool. This is really an anime I am going to keep watchin and maybe even catch up with the manga aswell..?!
SilverChakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 05:07   Link #117
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
It seems that most young boys are being enjoyed being voiced by girls. Then again, D. Gray Man is sure following the manga a bit too closely. I want some new stuff, and hopefully this doesnt turn into more fillers.
________
Honda WOW

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:34.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 14:18   Link #118
Clarste
Human

Spoiler for generic thematic speculation on "D.Gray-man" from a manga reader, no intentional details, but read at your own risk:
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 22:28   Link #119
digihero

Does this series have a good chance of coming to america and does it follow the manga?
digihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 23:26   Link #120
techiet
Shiori~

Send a message via AIM to techiet Send a message via MSN to techiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by digihero View Post
Does this series have a good chance of coming to america and does it follow the manga?
I think it does. That, and probably Death Note due to Viz and all.
Following the manga? Looks like it.

I've read the scanlations of the manga, but I will soon be picking up Viz's releases. For the first episode, it was kinda meh, but hopefully it'll pick up speed.

Tags
action, gothic, shounen, steampunk