AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-01, 02:36   Link #1961
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Man... NOTHING really seems to get these characters going off except for maybe Akaishi physically dropping things when he gets surprised. I mean, all those revelations and outright confessions and the like, and all they do is give out sarcastic responses and just all cool as a cucumber.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 02:37   Link #1962
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

But if there's actually one thing we can all agree on, despite being in the post-humous Wakaba still maintains a towering presence and influence in the lives of just about everybody whether they will admit to this fact or not. Even in death her specter still affects the everyday lives of everyone involved.

This type of character presence is more than what I could say for even the main leads of lesser series'.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 03:23   Link #1963
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Given all that, would Azuma actually follow through with dating Aoba? Would he do that under any circumstances, given what he knows and how he feels - or perhaps, is there a limit to how much time he'd give Kou to "shit ot get off the pot" before he'd figure he's been a good friend, but it's open season?
I think he'd go out with Aoba, but only because Aoba's definition of a "date" doesn't appear to be what we'd call serious business. I mean the last time she went on what she seems to consider "a date" was some sort of multi-person power amusement park event. I dunno, I mean, part of it is Aoba. Until she can get a grip on what she wants, I don't think she'll take any dating seriously.

Edit: Oh wow, I just noticed that in episode 4 when Ko's entering the batting center right before Azuma comes out, he's wearing a blue shirt. Then when Azuma comes into the lobby it flips to red and then back to blue when Aoba tries to give him his socks.

Last edited by jpwong; 2009-12-01 at 04:05.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 04:04   Link #1964
karasuma

Azuma is sharp. He realized Aoba is not a straight forward type of girl. So, she giving out chocolate to anyone is wierd. Then, in the cafe, first Ichiyo and akashi left when Aoba is rambling about nothing between her and Kou. Then Aoba escape from Azuma after her cousin shows up.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 04:12   Link #1965
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Azuma is sharp. He realized Aoba is not a straight forward type of girl. So, she giving out chocolate to anyone is wierd. Then, in the cafe, first Ichiyo and akashi left when Aoba is rambling about nothing between her and Kou. Then Aoba escape from Azuma after her cousin shows up.
Exactly. This is why the chocolates were really meant for Kou. If they were truly for Azuma, we would probably have been treated to an extended dialogue between Azuma and Aoba. Instead, she up and leaves as soon as someone can replace her to watch the shop! It's obvious her mind is somewhere else at the time. She had to go "bat" in order to deal with the fact that Akane is over at Kou's house looking at Waka-chan's pictures.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 04:37   Link #1966
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Exactly. This is why the chocolates were really meant for Kou. If they were truly for Azuma, we would probably have been treated to an extended dialogue between Azuma and Aoba. Instead, she up and leaves as soon as someone can replace her to watch the shop! It's obvious her mind is somewhere else at the time. She had to go "bat" in order to deal with the fact that Akane is over at Kou's house looking at Waka-chan's pictures.
Which is why I also think that Azuma would never go to the lengths of trying to date Aoba. Azuma knows that Aoba only has her eyes set on Kou and he can read through just about any front (especially Aoba's.) In the previous episode, Aoba used the batting cage as a way to vent and get her mind off things, and in this episode Aoba goes to the cage again in order to get her mind off the fact that Akane and Kou are together in Kou's room. Azuma already knows, so I doubt he would try anything.

Aoba is so dishonest with herself

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 05:25   Link #1967
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

The thing is, as Azuma stated, his type of girl is Aoba. She doesn't 'mess around' by giving out chocolates like his fanclub. In fact, she also doesn't look forward to her fans giving them to her, based on her tone of voice when explaining the origins of the boxes of chocolate on her desk to Mizuki. She's the most dedicated member of the baseball team, even though she can't play in official games. She's got a stubborn streak that is one the endearing and frustrating qualities of her personality. Her biggest failing is that she's not honest about her own feelings and desires. She's probably the first girl that he's remembered a name to. And that's saying a lot.

Logically, Azuma is going to be a big factor in breaking Aoba out of her shell. Aside from Kou, he's the only guy that's received her sarcastic responses. Senda got ignored. Mizuki's confession got a small reaction, but he pretty much fades into the background thereafter (well, at least he got her acting a bit more modestly at home). Her other suitors got the obligation date (Mizuki did too). Azuma's statement at the batting cages made enough of an impression that when pressed later by Kou about the extra chocolate, Aoba can use his name as an obvious diversion of her true intentions. Right now, he's in the perfect position to observe both Kou and Aoba.

Any 'date' Azuma and Aoba end up going on will probably have ulterior motives behind it.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 05:50   Link #1968
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
The thing is, as Azuma stated, his type of girl is Aoba. She doesn't 'mess around' by giving out chocolates like his fanclub. In fact, she also doesn't look forward to her fans giving them to her, based on her tone of voice when explaining the origins of the boxes of chocolate on her desk to Mizuki. She's the most dedicated member of the baseball team, even though she can't play in official games. She's got a stubborn streak that is one the endearing and frustrating qualities of her personality. Her biggest failing is that she's not honest about her own feelings and desires. She's probably the first girl that he's remembered a name to. And that's saying a lot.

Logically, Azuma is going to be a big factor in breaking Aoba out of her shell. Aside from Kou, he's the only guy that's received her sarcastic responses. Senda got ignored. Mizuki's confession got a small reaction, but he pretty much fades into the background thereafter (well, at least he got her acting a bit more modestly at home). Her other suitors got the obligation date (Mizuki did too). Azuma's statement at the batting cages made enough of an impression that when pressed later by Kou about the extra chocolate, Aoba can use his name as an obvious diversion of her true intentions. Right now, he's in the perfect position to observe both Kou and Aoba.

Any 'date' Azuma and Aoba end up going on will probably have ulterior motives behind it.
And as Willen and previous others have stated, it all stems from Aoba's stubborn refusal to voice her feelings and intentions to basically anybody, save perhaps Wakaba if she were still alive. That's the problem right there: the classical storytelling signs of her attitude and personality already point to Kou for the experienced viewer/reader but again she has never in any shape or form ever definitively expressed what she really feels.

What we have now are basically conjectures and patterns based off of more predictable human traits and actions, but that's just about it. I'm not exactly shipping a certain pairing with this post but merely stating that what we have are assumptions, not definitives. Until Aoba breaks out of said shell and explicitly makes a choice (and this seems far and away from the current events), either/or Kou and Azuma are fair game.

Even then, some might be hard pressed to make a choice right then and there. You have 2 great guys to choose from. If I had a uterus I'd probably have a hard time too (but I still lean for Kou).
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 05:50   Link #1969
xKeen

I can't wait to see the final match-Koshien.I don't read the manga,so I don't know.I think it would be very heartwarming to see that,since there are no females who entered Koshien before?and also made wakaba's dream come true.This isn't a spoiler,just what I want.I hope they spend a few episodes on the Koshien match.The matches up to now gets me excited throughout the episodes.

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 07:54   Link #1970
poko-kun

I don't know if anime already mentioned it or not.
The book Akane returned to Kou in episode 34 was Aoba's pitching photo album which Kou uses as a base.
Akane told Kou that he won't see what she drew until summer. (sure, cause it will be on summer Koshien poster)
Old 2009-12-01, 09:52   Link #1971
xKeen

Edited.Was too tired but made a post.

Credits to Pellissier~

Last edited by xKeen; 2009-12-01 at 20:03.
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 09:54   Link #1972
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, it's partly because poko can't remember what happened 1 episode ago.

But no, I can't really see how you made that connection.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 10:30   Link #1973
poko-kun

My brain has a lot of free space, but too little ram, you know? lol

What I was trying to tell is... why the hell Kou has Aoba photo in such a big album. Is he a stalker?
Old 2009-12-01, 10:46   Link #1974
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, allegedly he was using it as a base for copying her pitching form. Let's not think too deeply about that.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 11:08   Link #1975
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, allegedly he was using it as a base for copying her pitching form. Let's not think too deeply about that.
Well actually, strictly from a baseball standpoint that's a perfectly legit reason. Pitching form looks easy but it's incredibly hard - tiny changes can make a huge difference in control, velocity, and even potential serious injury. Aoba was the best pitcher young Kou knew (and we know he certainly wasn't getting any formal coaching when he was learning to play), so naturally it was her form he wanted to study in detail. I don't deny there might be ulterior motives and that's not the only part of her form that interests him - she certainly possesses many of the qualities prized by the superficial male - but I think the surface explanation does hold water.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2014-03-23 at 07:23.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 11:14   Link #1976
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Indeed it does. Nevertheless, ulterior motives could be at play, as well.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 11:33   Link #1977
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not quite as convinced as some that Azuma doesn't harbor ambitions when it comes to Aoba, though if Kou stepped up to the plate I think he'd defer. When he came into the cafe to tell her that Kou was in his room looking at photos with Akane, it seemed to me he went out of his way to say he "left so they cold be alone" or words to that effect. I almost detected a calculating air about him as he said so, too, though it's hard to tell with Mr. Implacable.

Of course, one could also make the case that even if it was calculated, Azuma was doing it to make Aoba realize there was a sense or urgency to coming to terms with her feelings.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 11:35   Link #1978
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'd be more inclined to agree with the second option, but... you never know.

Old 2009-12-01, 12:22   Link #1979
Nosauz

God damn you, Enzo and Betojr, makes me think you guys are double posting. here's my two cents. It's obvious aoba is in love with Kou, but not only is she harboring guilt after Wakaba's death, specifically this is referred to multiple times (the scene where wakaba says, she can't have him even if he can throw a 16o km/h pitch) she also tries to maintain the, we're not close but we're still freinds thing, most likely to not keep Kou too far away. Azuma probably does indeed like Aoba, but really I think he knows that even if she were to accept him, it wouldn't be her true feelings which is why Azuma does pressure her but still in a way where he can still maintain some control over the situation as he is guiding the relationship at the moment. Plus the chocolate thing basically cements aoba's feelings, and again guilt and loyalty to her dead sister, which are all respectable qualities, bite her in the butt.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 12:54   Link #1980
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
God damn you, Enzo and Betojr, makes me think you guys are double posting.
I can say that, for my part, it was absolutely intentional.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports