3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-12, 08:07   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Bakemonogatari - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Bakemonogatari, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 10:09   Link #2
aulzon

Probably my favourite episode so far because of the confession and the revelation of Mayoi.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 20:29   Link #3
rocket
Senior and Demented

This ep really turned around my opinion of the series.

I was in awe after ep 1 and 2, but then started to lose faith through 3 and 4.

5 however cast everything in 3 and 4 in new light.

What had previously seemed fatuous and plodding is now pregnant and down right electric!

The sterotypical loli abuse has morphed slowly and irresistibly into true abuse with none of the payoff. Creepy. But not as creepy as the suspicion that Mayoi is not kidding when she says she's hungry. I think we both know why she tries to scare people away from following her. Notice she's still alone...

I had to get that out of the way, because of course it's soon eclipsed. By romantic ecstasy no less! It's notable even in a year which included the awesomest anime kiss ever in Toradora and the sexiest anime kiss ever in Aoi Hana. I refer of course to the:

Best. Confession. Ever.
Old 2009-08-12, 23:06   Link #4
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulzon View Post
Probably my favourite episode so far because of the confession and the revelation of Mayoi.
It was my favorite. This episode had great artwork, minimalist with symbolism. I wonder if it is true that this show has a small budget and that is why the artwork is the way it is. For whatever reason I thought the ep was beautiful.

I really liked how Hatchikuji has a huge backpack making her more snail like.

The revelation about Araragi wasn't a complete surprise. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I new that she was some oddity and he was the one who met it.

The parts that said "black" what was that suppose to be? is it some kind of mojo keeping Hatchikuji lost? Kinda like how the GPS navigation system doesn't work and the volume is lost during the phone call.

Senjogahara's confession was classic.

Also someone mentioned this in the General thread, but the scene where he trys to hand Senjo the letter and she thinks he is trying to hold her is really funny. He is all

"Take it"
"No, I don't like that kind of thing"

I watched it a second time with my brother who hadn't seen it and he said

"isn't it boring watching it twice?"

The truth was I liked it better the second time.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 23:09   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
The parts that said "black" what was that suppose to be? is it some kind of mojo keeping Hatchikuji lost? Kinda like how the GPS navigation system doesn't work and the volume is lost during the phone call.
You mean the frames that are all black with "black" written in white kanji on them?

Those and the "red" frames are just Shaft being Shaft. I guess you could think of it as a scene transition.
Old 2009-08-15, 03:53   Link #6
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
You mean the frames that are all black with "black" written in white kanji on them?

Those and the "red" frames are just Shaft being Shaft. I guess you could think of it as a scene transition.
So they are just kinda like one scene is over, now the next starts?
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 12:03   Link #7
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I've been wondering for a while if something was lost in translation when Senjougahara replied to Araragi's condition for a relationship.

She said, "Oyasuigoyou, yo." My gg-subbed version translated it simply as: "Certainly." While I'm sure that's the correct translation, it sounded as though Senjougahara had given her answer in a very unusual way, prompting momentary surprise from Araragi.

Anyone care to explain?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 12:37   Link #8
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
おやすいごよう [お安いご用, 御安いごよう] (n) easy task
I dunno about the nuances of it, but that's what the dictionary says. So I guess it's like "no problem"?
Old 2009-08-15, 12:55   Link #9
Reekon

I interpret Araragi's momentary surprise to be like "What? No arguments? No negotiations to my proposed condition?".

Considering that he's always gotten verbal abuse, I think he wasn't sure how Hitagi will reply to his condition, and thus was he was momentarily surprised with the "Certainly/No problem" answer.
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 17:35   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
At this juncture, I should point out that I'm not familiar at all with the source material, and hence perhaps my biggest area of applause for this anime is the sheer plot twists.

They are unreal, and out of this world.

Hitagi is truly an unpredictable character, and I gain a new level of appreciation for her and Araragi in each and every episode.

I had come to view Hitagi as a philosophically cynical character, who tends to see the worst in those around her, and perceives her wider world in a mostly pessimistic way. A lot of Hitagi's insults towards Araragi is what gave me much of this assessment of her character.

However, in the latter portions of this episode, Hitagi makes a glowing assessment of Araragi's moral character, and it's clearly shown that she's impressed by that moral character, and even possibly that her romantic confession arises in part from her impression of it.

While I don't know if I'd call it the best romantic confession ever, it is certainly a wondrously anti-cliche one - one with great timing, yet almost amazingly as a side-feature to her broader appraisal of Araragi's personality. I also love how confidently and smoothly Araragi makes her confession. It's truly revitalizing to see a female character that isn't shy in the least in making her feelings and opinions known - be they harsh, or sweet, or neither of the above in particular. Her complete lack of shyness is atypical for anime female characters of all types... perhaps of all anime characters, period.

I have no complaints to make about this episode... except, well, the relationship between Araragi and "The Snail" is a bit creepy to me. I can't help but to also find it cute in a way, but this latest "fight" between Araragi and The Snail seemed very... sketchy to me, I guess I'll say.

Still, I'll give this episode a 10 since the greatness of the other sections of the episode more than make up for this scene. Also, The Snail overall is a very fun and humorous character.
Old 2009-08-19, 18:55   Link #11
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
^ I totally agree with this, Senjougahara is the most Original female character I have seen in an anime so far.
Old 2009-08-19, 19:31   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki-ism View Post
^ I totally agree with this, Senjougahara is the most Original female character I have seen in an anime so far.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm quite glad to see Bakemonogatari - it's like the perfect answer to any disenchanted Haruhi fan, which I have to admit that I am to some degree. Bakemonogatari has all the good elements that 2009 Haruhi has lost... and it has some great things besides.
Old 2009-08-22, 07:17   Link #13
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

At this rate, Shaft WILL overtake Kyoani. First, ef, then Mariaholic, now this. Kyoani, time to wake up.
Old 2009-08-30, 04:44   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"10" first anime episode in a long time that left me totally speechless.
Old 2009-08-30, 05:14   Link #15
zato_1one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Why shouldn't I be surprised?
Old 2009-08-30, 08:08   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
And this, dear Vexx, is how "I see dead people" ought to be done.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 10:59   Link #17
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
It's been a few good years. Ga-Rei pretty much kicked me upside the head and I thought was going to be a long time before I stumbled onto another first episode that was so impressive. Glad to be wrong!
Old 2009-08-30, 11:39   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I couldn't believe I was getting two major milestones in one episode: confession & acceptance (smacks him for his evasive manner), and Mayoi crisis resolution. And in episode 5....

Not that she doesn't keep smacking him around .... at first I thought she was just scary, but now I think he needs to smacked often since he seems to project "particularly dense but witty Kyon" often. And now to those who alluded to it: this is making SHnY look more lightweight in the relationship arena.
Old 2009-08-31, 20:39   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I couldn't believe I was getting two major milestones in one episode: confession & acceptance (smacks him for his evasive manner), and Mayoi crisis resolution. And in episode 5....

Not that she doesn't keep smacking him around .... at first I thought she was just scary, but now I think he needs to smacked often since he seems to project "particularly dense but witty Kyon" often. And now to those who alluded to it: this is making SHnY look more lightweight in the relationship arena.
Araragi/Hitagi resonates with me a whole heckuva a lot better than Kyon/Haruhi, yes. But, then, the "mutual self-denial of real feelings" that most of the Haruhi fandom holds to be at the core of Kyon/Haruhi is not something I like in a romance. Not at all; it's bad enough when one half of the pairing is lying to himself/herself, let alone both halves. At that point, my suspension of disbelief meter is brought to the limit... if not beyond.

Araragi/Hitagi's romance is typically subtle and with some real depth... yet also refreshingly honest in some ways (such as Hitagi's calm, straightforward confession). In some ways, it takes the best elements of both worlds; the best elements of a very overt over-flowing romance and the best elements of a subtler more understated romance.
Old 2009-08-31, 21:03   Link #20
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Araragi/Hitagi resonates with me a whole heckuva a lot better than Kyon/Haruhi, yes. But, then, the "mutual self-denial of real feelings" that most of the Haruhi fandom holds to be at the core of Kyon/Haruhi is not something I like in a romance. Not at all; it's bad enough when one half of the pairing is lying to himself/herself, let alone both halves. At that point, my suspension of disbelief meter is brought to the limit... if not beyond.

Araragi/Hitagi's romance is typically subtle and with some real depth... yet also refreshingly honest in some ways (such as Hitagi's calm, straightforward confession). In some ways, it takes the best elements of both worlds; the best elements of a very overt over-flowing romance and the best elements of a subtler more understated romance.
Agree...

It doesn't have the stench of typical, overly convoluted, profit driven, immature romantic cliffhanger, Anime/Manga angst.

I wonder if a lot of authors/mangaka are afraid to let their main characters get involved properly in healthy or developing relationships early in plot because they do not know how to write the development into their story. And still keep the audience coming back for more ?

What would Toradora be like if Tiaiga and Ryuji started dating from early in the story ?

Could the author pull it off and still make a hit ?

What about Haruhi and Kyon ?

Could the author pull it off ?

Kyon trying to keep his universally powerful crazy girl friend under control... without her knowing she has the power of Unicron.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote