3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-06-15, 14:22   Link #61
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
Best series that I've seen in the past few years. This got me back into anime. Love the artwork, the subtle plots and the dialogue.
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:41   Link #62
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
To be honest, the series didn't catch me til about halfway through. I remember when i first tried to watch it there was that silly panty shot and a bunch of stuff happening. I just turned it off because I thought it was gonna be some generic fanservice harem series. But no, it wasn't. It was a very trippy generic fanservice harem series, but then I realized it wasn't generic anymore.

What this series excels at is keeping up a very fast pace. Bakemongatari is a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is boring. There's actaully a bunch of nuances you'd find if you went back per episode, but that's not where you can give it credit. The fun is in trying to figure out what's happening when it's on the fly. I mean, if you watch it on TV, you usually aren't gonna keep hitting rewind (well usually...) It's not an easy series to watch, and we wouldn't want to have it any other way.

That being said, the series is also hard to watch for the wrong reasons at times, and that would be due to Shaft either being cheap, irresponsible or just unable to keep up a schedule. Even with the bluray versions that I watched, the animation is frequently nonexistent and sometimes I feel that it gets too gratuitous almost like Shinbo's going HEY LOOK IM SO COOL. It becomes hit and miss like every other Shaft show I've seen.

The sound is also fairly hit and miss. I noticed some rather high energy BGM during the tense scenes, though often the BGM is droning and repetitive, which can hurt the enjoyment of the long conversations they have. The OP/EDs tend to be good-- Staple Stable being the best, and the others are decent except Mayoi episode OPs which are just like GAH GTFO.

The most outstanding thing about the sound is the voice acting, which is consistently top tier, as opposed to the series itself. Chiwa Saito did an amazing job in giving Hitagi a sexy voice, and God knows it takes every bit for me to be able to stand her. To a lesser degree this applies to Kana Hanazawa and Nadeko.

The characters were probably the hardest part for me to enjoy. I just didn't like any of them that much. Koyomi gets a few points here and there for being funny and dynamic, certainly an above average male lead with a thing for lolicon; but man every time he tries to molest Mayoi I just facepalm. So he wasn't bad but I wasn't especially interested. Hitagi is probably my hugest barrier to enjoying this series. I simply have no interest in her and incidentally enjoyed the half where she wasn't prominent in, and yes before you guys get the pitchforks I understand that she is vital to the story and both her and Koyomi develop through their interactions through others. But the problem is that she just feels like such a friggin black hole of a character in which she turns everyone else [the cast] that happens to be nearby into mindless worshippers. Well, not exactly, but she definitely has people that seem to eventually revolve around her. You'll have conversations going, and then Senjoughara this and Senjoughara that like ZOMGZ she is so awesome. Any fanservice moment with her causes me to cringe. In the end, I feel like the show's attempts to shove her in my face ultimately backfired. It tried too hard. She's also a fucking bitch. Yes she has reasons and eventually mellows out a bit more but I just don't buy her depth enough to grudgingly give her a pass like say Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Episode 12 made a fine effort in this regard though, almost.

Mayoi and Kanbaru are great supporting characters that tend to bring a large amount of comedy with them. I feel that they are the light to the show, though Kanbaru definitely lost points once I realized she's just there for fawn over Hitagi. Interestingly, Kanbaru actually shines in Nadeko's arc-- props must be given to the show's concern for continuity. Naedko and Tsubasa.... gah. Tsubasa worked out somewhat at the end, but still too boring to really keep me interested. Nadeko appears to be a fanservice prop, and I just wonder why she's in the show. Yes, she technically had a plot element and the plot itself wasn't too bad, but I was focusing on the other people rather than her.

Oh, and FAQ guy Oshino. Yea, he's cool

Still, the show excelled in being funny when it wanted to be, and provides stories of a hidden layer that the lazy probably won't get. It's unfortunate that in the end that I couldn't give a damn about this cast, and just found them to be not as deep as the stories they were involved and the presentation was just too wonky at times to keep me hooked. Still, they are amusing so 7/10 it is. Perhaps when Shinbo does a little less drugs and they maintain a proper schedule then I will truly be able to enjoy it.

But, I'm here for Nisei, so it was worth it.

Spoiler for A quick definition of the overall score:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-01-09 at 14:06.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 07:39   Link #63
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
My overall was absolutly 10.

Bakemonogatari was definitively one of the few anime (like Spice and Wolf) that just after the end make me fell strange becouse i want more but need to wait
Old 2012-01-10, 13:06   Link #64
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 8
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 4
Enjoyment: 7 (mayoi made me laugh out loud)
Emotional Involvement: 6

The show starts off great but then gets tiring. After the Mayoi arc, I seem to only enjoy when seeing interaction with Mayoi again, I like the word play with them. Hitagi just acts too distant throughout the whole thing so hard to invest attachment with her, it would be alot better if love with Araragi was unrequited, but then that be too anime cliche. There alot fanservice stuff unneeded. Araragi is a lolicon -.-

Animation goes from good to bad and back, and the editing jarring you too much, it becomes too distracting. Alot of panels are just annoying and takes away from involvement as well. Someone should re-edit the series making it more fluid, it reminds me of jar jar binx.

I just started watching Nisemonogatari, and find it alot better. The fact it does not feel draggy as some episodes in season one.
Old 2012-02-10, 14:29   Link #65
leokiko

Animation Quality: 8
Different. That's enough to describe this series' animation. It was impressive, but not enough to be an 10. Fell flat at times, specially at a few action scenes.

Voice Actors: 9
Solid. Nothing overly impressive, but nothing bad at the same time.

Script: 10
Best part of this anime. An anime that works because of it's awesome characters and smart dialogue.

Soundtrack: 9
Awesome songs, specially ''Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari''.

Editing: 9
Very smart editing. But felt overused at times.

Enjoyment: 9
The first episode felt too weird for me, but the snails' arc completely hooked me in.

Emotional Involvement: 8
It's a short series, but I ended caring about Araragi and Senjougahara more than any other character. I wanted Senjougahara to appear every episode they could interact.

OVERALL: 8/10

I think this series deserves to have the amount of fans it has. Hitagi and Araragi are an awesome couple and Hitagi herself is an special character.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 04:10   Link #66
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Abstract background, frequent scene changes, amazing tsudere (yandere) girlfriends... definitely unique... revolutionary... One of the best anime of the year!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote