Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-29, 03:17   Link #521
sora1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Anyone else on gates of madness?
I'm transferring between Gates of Madness and Isle of Rathnir. We should play together sometimes on Gates of Madness
sora1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 11:31   Link #522
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Guild Wars dev explains game bans

Also, Some screen shots of my warrior. I always play warrior in all MMOS. I chose not to pick a woman this time around. You get way too much "attention".

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2012-08-29 at 17:30.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 21:11   Link #523
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
So uh, post your characters? =D

I'll post mine up when I get home.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

My main is a sylvari ranger on Stormbluff Isle, char name "Ito Ayaka"

Been taking things slow, so am currently at lvl 34. I've been enjoying everything so far and was beyond excited to get my collector's edition yesterday ><

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 23:19   Link #524
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
-image redacted-

My main is a sylvari ranger on Stormbluff Isle, char name "Ito Ayaka"...
If there's an actual greatcoat in that game, you're about halfway to making a passable replica of a Eurocorp agent. Below is a reference image from the latest incarnation of Syndicate:

Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 05:13   Link #525
lightbringer
M9000

"ArenaNet has invited players who feel they were unfairly suspended to post their character names or chat segment that led to their suspension under the Reddit post, saying it will reply "in graphic detail" with the reason for the block."

I rofl'ed. A bit confrontational but I like this much better than CCP's overly politically correct "we will not talk about moderation ever".
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 07:00   Link #526
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Although I can understand CCP stance. Letting people ask, leads to them arguing and being dicks and refusing to admit fault and the discussion goes no where... so why bother courting such a mess.
Old 2012-08-30, 07:12   Link #527
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

>Progress story line
>Next instance is lvl10
>Great I'm lvl14
>Get killed by the same enemy who isn't even the final boss 4 times in a row

Anyway for now I'm more focussed on leveling crafters and randomly leveling my characters slowly.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 07:19   Link #528
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I rofl'ed. A bit confrontational but I like this much better than CCP's overly politically correct "we will not talk about moderation ever".
Agree on principle - secret rules and processes have no place in moderation (neither does, as I noted before, a reliance on scripts or people-who-act-like-scripts). I would hope that ArenaNet is similarly on the ball with smacking down the sort of malicious reporting Paranoid Android makes mention of.
Old 2012-08-30, 07:21   Link #529
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
>Progress story line
>Next instance is lvl10
>Great I'm lvl14
>Get killed by the same enemy who isn't even the final boss 4 times in a row

Anyway for now I'm more focussed on leveling crafters and randomly leveling my characters slowly.
Don't feel too bad - the instance almost definitely lowered your effective level to 10 upon entering, so you wouldn't have actually had any level advantage on the enemies there. This happens constantly, even out in the world; I've only ever seen a "green" mob a couple of times.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 16:31   Link #530
Firefly00

With all the underwater combat in this game, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken footage of it with the following as BGM:

Old 2012-08-31, 04:45   Link #531
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

@ Firefly00: That is a really obscure reference.... for many of us, anyway. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even alive when that movie was made. In fact I know I wasn't.

Thinking of picking this game up, but not sure what class to play. My gut says Ranger or Elementalist since I like ranged classes, but I wanted to know what you guys thought first before I burn 60 bucks on it.

That being said, at the time of this post the digital copies are all sold out, and I might have a hard time finding a hardcopy at my local Gamestop...
Old 2012-08-31, 04:50   Link #532
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
That being said, at the time of this post the digital copies are all sold out, and I might have a hard time finding a hardcopy at my local Gamestop...
They're not sold out, ArenaNet turned off digital sales to mitigate the work they need to do to stabilise and improve the server infrastructure for the game.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 04:54   Link #533
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
They're not sold out, ArenaNet turned off digital sales to mitigate the work they need to do to stabilise and improve the server infrastructure for the game.
I know the reason, but the GW2 website says they're sold out. Thier words, not mine. Again, I assume it's to prevent overpopulation problems.

From people's screenshots the game looks nice. Hopefully I can run it at high settings.
Old 2012-08-31, 05:00   Link #534
FateAnomaly

Eles are more squishy than rangers. But with the different elemental attunements they have lots of skills to use if you are good at managing lots of skills.

Ranger are pretty good from what i heard. Pets can die easily if you are careless but there are tanky pets as well.

With armor type do you like better? Light (cloth) armor or medium (leather) armor.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:25   Link #535
Destined_Fate

So what's everyone's take on this so far? Yay or Nay?

Personally I find myself liking it more than I thought I would.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:36   Link #536
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
With all the underwater combat in this game, I'm surprised someone hasn't taken footage of it with the following as BGM:
Classic! Someone should get on that ASAP lol. But, even though Sean Connery is my favorite Bond, my memory of the earlier Bond movies is pretty vague - I didn't even remember that there were underwater scenes in that movie until you mentioned it.

But even though it's from an older movie, I do not think it deserves to be called "obscure" any more than, say, Nino Rota's Godfather score. The lyrics are great, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
So what's everyone's take on this so far? Yay or Nay?

Personally I find myself liking it more than I thought I would.
It's one of the best MMOs out there right now but it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Final judgment reserved until I play all the way to 80 and beyond, only hit 38 recently

Dynamic events are certainly a fresh take on the genre and add quite a bit of fun - when other people are around. That's the caveat. Dynamic events are not nearly as much fun when you do them by yourself. At the moment it's not an issue since there are so many people everywhere but that won't be the case forever.

Last edited by lightbringer; 2012-08-31 at 07:50.
Old 2012-08-31, 07:47   Link #537
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I was thinking if getting it till Syn told me about the quest system.... that you automatically get them and turn in once entering a area and when completing them. If someone could tell me why this is not a dull deal breaker, by all means go ahead.
Old 2012-08-31, 08:31   Link #538
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I was thinking if getting it till Syn told me about the quest system.... that you automatically get them and turn in once entering a area and when completing them. If someone could tell me why this is not a dull deal breaker, by all means go ahead.
I don't really see why this is a problem. Gameplay-wise it feels much more fluid being able to just walk into an area and start doing one of multiple things that need to be done than to have to report to an npc, get a laundry list of "do 10 of [very specific action]", do it, then have to report back. It's just busywork having to run back and forth between quest npcs. And if it's a matter of story - this is coming from someone who did read the text for every quest in every other MMO. The fact is that there's very rarely a compelling story for why NPC X needs you to collect 20 bear asses. This game also has a ton of flavor, between constant ambient voiced dialog from NPCs (which frequently tells you exactly why you are completing each quest), your own character's personal story line, and random stuff like NPCs running up to you in the world to inform you of Event X happening nearby. IMO you're seriously missing out if the standard and tired quest system not being in this game is the deal breaker for you.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer
Dynamic events are certainly a fresh take on the genre and add quite a bit of fun - when other people are around. That's the caveat. Dynamic events are not nearly as much fun when you do them by yourself. At the moment it's not an issue since there are so many people everywhere but that won't be the case forever.
I definitely prefer these with as few people as can realistically complete them, they feel like too much of a zerg and way too easy with a huge group. Well, except for that giant boss in the 15-25 Charr area. He takes like 10 minutes or more to kill even with 30+ people haha. It's really funny watching the tidal wave of 1-shotted player corpses go flying across the screen every time he stomps though. Got a "players revived" achievement just from that event alone.

Last edited by RWBladewing; 2012-08-31 at 09:01.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:11   Link #539
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
I like the "renown heart" system as it's more fluid than the "pick up do things hand in" of questing in other MMOs. There's a sense of immediacy that makes the game feel quicker and better.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 09:21   Link #540
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Why would it be a deal breaker? It means you can always get into action faster, never have to track down quest NPC's (but you can if you want to, and they will give more background info), are never limited to what area you are questing in, do not have to form groups in order to participate and get rewards, can actually see the persistent effects of winning or losing a quest (for instance, losing against invading monsters will kill merchants in the town and monsters will take over, until later on you participate in a different quest to win back the town - and you also get some rewards even if you fail a quest). It's an interesting system that is in many ways superior to the traditional quest hubs and it goes a long way towards addressing the problem of a static world. The only downside is that if you hand around in an area too long (I mean literally hours in the same general area of a map) then it could get repetitive since some quests are cyclical.

There are also one-time quests, in the form of "hearts", which always have somewhere between 2 and 5 methods of completion, with at least one non-combat method typically (ie: help the village by beating up bandits or cleaning graffiti off the walls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I definitely prefer these with as few people as can realistically complete them, they feel like too much of a zerg and way too easy with a huge group. Well, except for that giant boss in the 15-25 Charr area. He takes like 10 minutes or more to kill even with 30+ people haha. It's really funny watching the tidal wave of 1-shotted player corpses go flying across the screen every time he stomps though. Got a "players revived" achievement just from that event alone.
You should check out the Shadow Behemoth (or whatever he's called) in the swamp area south of Divinity's Reach. Took 50 of us like half an hour to down him, drops a chest with green and blue items though.

Generally yes, few people for dynamic quests works well. I like it when there are about 5 or so, not 30 since by then I can barely tell what's going on anymore. Just sometimes I had to defend a town by myself and it wasn't as fun, even though the NPCs fight together with you but they are kind of useless.