AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-15, 15:21   Link #1
Ryu_Hiragoshi

Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
Angry Gunbuster

Would somebody mind telling me why in the hell Gunbuster hasn't recieved a region 1 release here. All I know is that I want this epic series but it's just too hard to get. So maybe if I just pray to buddha some more maybe I'll get my wish one day.

Hirakashi Ryu
Ryu_Hiragoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:40   Link #2
hooliganj
Team Player

It came out previously on VHS. I assume that it was never released on DVD because there wasn't enough interest. While it was pretty good, it was also a long time ago.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:46   Link #3
krem

I have a region 2 release of it, so you could always import it?
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 18:37   Link #4
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krem
I have a region 2 release of it, so you could always import it?
The region 2 release (if you're talking about the UK one) is vhs quality, as well as being edited.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 02:03   Link #5
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Gunbuster Remastered (R2-Japan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panon
The region 2 release (if you're talking about the UK one) is vhs quality, as well as being edited.
Gunbuster Remastered (R2-Japan) is coming out on 22 October 2004. The Amazon Japan link No English subs though :P
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 15:36   Link #6
Ryu_Hiragoshi

Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
It came out previously on VHS. I assume that it was never released on DVD because there wasn't enough interest. While it was pretty good, it was also a long time ago.
Even fiding it on VHS is a challenge. This is truly one of the rearest series I've come across. I haven't found anybody that's offering it. Second, there are plenty of series that came out in the "70's" that are being rereleased today. So that takes care of that comment.

Hirakashi Ryu
Ryu_Hiragoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 15:38   Link #7
maxthelostboy

Maybe if the 2nd one gets licensed this might get another release?
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 12:07   Link #8
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Gunbuster has been announced for R1! Read about it here.
Old 2006-10-24, 12:48   Link #9
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I'm wondering if the edition of 'Gunbuster' we're getting is based off the R2 special ED that was released awhile back. I'm assuming for that PRICE that they would be releasing all 3 vols separately. Six eps at 2 eps-a-piece and lots of extras. It's a bit pricey but to be honest it only looks that way because people are looking at the price and not at the vols. If they had released it separately (provided that's the case) then you'd be playing $20 ea. anyway. 'Kiddy Grade' was $20+ a pop, running at $160 because you had 8 vols. They re-released the series as double discs and you ended up paying half ($80). Now they released a boxset which costs about $12-$15 less than the doubles. 'Giant Robo' was the same way. Three discs, plus 'Ginrei Specials', an extra disc and a stupid eye holder that falls apart. Hahahaha!!! Of course I found that release to be utterly stupid as no retailer told you what the 5th disc was. And people still don't know. I thank 'AonDVD' for clearing the fog.

But I remember when the R2s came out for 'GB' and it had new illustrations by 'HAL' (Haruhiko Mikimoto's handle). So I'm assuming they might be using those. As the ones from years ago were ok, including 'Manga Ent's shoddy imaging skills. To be honest I can't wait to see what the overall product looks like. I'll be picking it up for myself and recommending it to my job as students here at the college need to see it. All we have is one vol. 1 donated on VHS. We have 'EVA' so why not 'Gunbuster'? It's a classic. Not only that it's one of 'Gainax's earlier works.

They should've thrown in the soundtrack too.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 15:51   Link #10
Setsuna Asuka

Kinda' expensive no?

And it's a Sub-only release at that, not to sure if I want to get it anymore.
Old 2006-10-24, 16:04   Link #11
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

It is the remastered version. They apparently may not have the music and effects track so they can't do a dub unless they start from scratch. That's going to elevate the price more imo. Besides you're getting alot of stuff for an LE version.
Old 2011-04-25, 22:07   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I thought I'd necro this thread after 9/2 years as Gunbuster deserves a lot of attention. Pity the title includes an angry face, as it's a bit misleading to the quality of this anime and off-putting.

I only watched Gunbuster for the first time in January this year, and I have no doubt that it is a masterpiece. Indeed, for anyone who is a fan of recent anime but doesn't have the motivation or interest to tackle the older series, this is an ideal gateway.

Gunbuster's animation is fantastic and utterly top notch, comparable to the best animation made today. I have no idea how Gainax got the budget to make this, but there is evidently a lot of work put into the production values.

The story is emotionally resounding and the characters are lovable, especially Ota Kouichirou who is an excellent mentor throughout the anime. Anyone who has an interest in science will love Gunbuster's use of (surprisingly for a super robot anime) hard science.

Also notable is how Gunbuster is only 6 episodes long. I felt that it wasn't too short to tell its story at all and that everything that needed to be explored was properly shown.

I think every anime fan should see Gunbuster. It is a truly remarkable anime regardless of age or historical value.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 15:21   Link #13
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Also notable is how Gunbuster is only 6 episodes long. I felt that it wasn't too short to tell its story at all and that everything that needed to be explored was properly shown.
Yet, the series itself is presented well enough in just 6-episodes without the feeling of a "rush job". It could have been extended to 13 or even 26 episodes. However, that could have diluted the presentation instead. Even though plenty of points could have been explored, the series kept its focus: the fight against those aliens, and Noriko's growth throughout that.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 20:26   Link #14
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Gunbuster is what made me an anime fan. I watched anime as a kid of course (Speed Racer, BotP, Voltron, etc.) without really realizing what it was. In my teens I got into manga (late 80s localizations like Area 88, Mai the Psychic Girl, Lone Wolf and Cub) so I finally understood that those cartoons I loved as a child were anime. So when the first uncut anime started coming out in the US I watched them, but nothing really hooked me. I watched a lot of early Streamline releases, Animeigo stuff like Madox and Bubblegum Crisis, and US Renditions titles like Dangaioh. However, none of them really interested me like the manga I was reading (partly a consequence of what was being brought over at the time -- pretty limited selection mainly girls, guns, and mecha).

Then I saw Gunbuster. The first two episodes didn't seem all that special (this was back when US Renditions was releasing the series as two episode videotapes). More guns and mecha, and with my limited exposure to anime at the time I didn't get the homages to super robots, Aim for the Ace, or the coach/oneesama archetypes. The next two episodes really got me though with the time dilation and Smith Toren's fate. Then the finale -- wow! Especially the ending, still one of my all time favorites.

Diebuster is also worth a watch for anyone that likes Gunbuster. I'll admit that I didn't like it much at first due to the character designs and what seemed to be a tenuous relationship to Gunbuster at the beginning. The ending tied it all together though and made it worthwhile.

Edit: the BV DVD release gets a lot of flack for the music edit and some video issues (mainly telecine wobble), but I thought it was a nice release. It can be picked up now for $40-50, which is probably expensive for people used to paying $20 for a two-cour series on DVD, but hell I remember paying a small fortune for the Gunbuster Okaerinasai LD box, so $50 is a bargain. I just wish the original OVA would get a Blu-ray release (not the edited movie).

Last edited by TurkeyPotPie; 2011-04-27 at 20:38.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 06:43   Link #15
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Gunbuster will be released on BD on February 24, 2012.

I'm so happy to hear this news. This anime deserves to be watched in the best video quality possible.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-15, 16:59   Link #16
ServantOfPriss
Slowpoke

Who is your favorite character? Kazumi would be, for me. She's beautiful and practically perfect, but we also know her more and her own flaws during the course of the show.
ServantOfPriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-26, 15:49   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
All but the strangest of motivations, I was looking up battle themes from anime, and came across a theme from this series. I just thought the girl with arms crossed looked cool, so somewhat motivated to give it a watch. I did like the Giant Robo OVA(even though I didn't know WTF was going on there, it looked cool at least), but don't really like Makinkaiser and its ilk(e.g. hot-blooded type mecha). Wondering is it worth watching.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-27, 05:05   Link #18
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
A great classic, and in my opinion absolutely worth a watch.

As for your tastes, there is a bit of hot-blooded mecha action done, but more as an homage to Mazinger and the like in one episode, rather than the whole series being set as such. No convoluted or complicated plot or anything.
Old 2022-07-27, 13:57   Link #19
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I think I can give it a go if its just a bit. The 'classics' are always a hit or miss kinda thing for me, but it sounds good enough to warrant the watch. Thanks for the input =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-28, 16:55   Link #20
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Specifically it’s mostly the big battle of the one episode, and then a bit here and there. Again, it’s largely done as homage to super robot animes like Mazinger rather than the show itself being dominantly hot-blooded.

Tags
action, mecha