AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-14, 00:50   Link #21
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You need to rewatch the anime, hopefully withtout some terrible fansub translations from god-knows-where.

There is no United States of America. Lulu never made treaty with a non-existing nation.
There is a United States of Japan, proposed by Zero, as well as Ultimate United Nations, but no USA.

I don't understand the rest of your scribbling, it doesn't seem to be related to anything we were discussing. If you just want to jot down general criticisms of the anime, take it to where it belongs, in the appropriate thread. Stay in topic in this thread.
Old 2008-08-14, 01:00   Link #22
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You need to rewatch the anime, hopefully withtout some terrible fansub translations from god-knows-where.

There is no United States of America. Lulu never made treaty with a non-existing nation.
There is a United States of Japan, proposed by Zero, as well as Ultimate United Nations, but no USA.

I don't understand the rest of your scribbling, it doesn't seem to be related to anything we were discussing. If you just want to jot down general criticisms of the anime, take it to where it belongs, in the appropriate thread. Stay in topic in this thread.
I stayed on topic with my stereotypes
Lostdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 01:09   Link #23
Un1234l

Another example to the hot headed, crude and lewd foreign stereotype:
Striesmann (sic) from Nodame Cantabile.

---------

And I think FMP people speak English. if they don't.. plot inconsistencies! But there already IS one... does everyone speak English, but Japanese to select people?... ETC
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 01:42   Link #24
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I had a very strong urge to shoot Patty the American full of holes, GTA San Andreas style (very American, ha!), when she showed up in Lucky Star.

We American anime fans are not that idiotic! -- well, some of us, err, me at least... okay I give up. She might be a decent approximation of the average weeaboo after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un1234l View Post
Gustav Stresemann is rolling in his grave.

Well, he already rolled in it over and over since 1933, but you know.

But really now, I don't think the Maestro in everyone's favorite musical romantic comedy is that bad. There are many more Japanese "geezer" characters who act the same way: lewd and silly, but serious and wise when the occasion called for. His German nationality and name seems to be there so he would seem like a true Maestro, which is, of course, something of a stereotype by itself, but hardly a bad one.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 05:32   Link #25
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
What is strange because the real Dracula was romanian, in transylvania when it was part of Hungary, and the famous vampirella, Elizabeth Bathory was actually a hungarian. She lived in the same city where my father comes from (Nyírbátor). It maybe had something to do with that fact, that I somehow like the taste of blood...
Yes, t'is like that, although the actual story of Dracula was set in England, therefore that is just the country in which people think of when "Dracula" is mentioned, even though he is Romanian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
True. And actually Alice-chan from Aria is a half-example: Yeah she's not british, but her name: Alice Carroll. Carroll is from Lewis Carroll's name, who wrote Alice in Wonderland... And, actually she IS in wonderland.
Then in "Kiddy Grade" we have Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. Another way of making references to Lewis Carrolls novel. Not to mention "Miyuki-chan in Wonderland".

I also love the way that they made the US president on "Read or Die". They based him on George Bush and made him want to just demolish everything that was his enemy, although when he was confronted by them he just wet himself. I thought that was great. Then we also had 'The Joker' whom was based on a stereotypical Englishman and even had a Golden Gun at the end of the series (reference to James Bond). I loved "Read or Die", the story and the way that they portrayed English people was awesome for our stereotype or being noble, powerful and smart.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-14, 12:32   Link #26
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Anyone ever watched Shin Getter vs Neo Getter? I suppose it has be the most extreme example of American stereotype by Japanese, especially the Engrish .
Old 2008-08-14, 18:14   Link #27
maguro

I think most Japanese in Hollywood movies and American TV dramas are weird as well...
maguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 05:40   Link #28
babybro

LOL, Oh man, black stereotypes are definitely one of the worst stereotypes out there. We were originally these super black skin. ( I don't mean dark brown, I meant black as charcoal) with big eyes, even bigger round nose, and biggest lips since the clown ages. Fortunately, lately things have been changing regarding appearance but it still happens.

Unfortunately, the personality stereotypes still live on, that we are these rapping dudes that can dance to the moon, and always have these hoof jive like we are from the 70's still.

To notice the latest in black steretypes, just check out the latest chapters of Naruto, the last place I expected it. The cat looks like a straight rip off of westley snipes and raven from Tekken. But what's bad is that the mofo raps almost throughout the entire scene's he's in. Let's just say quite a few people were unhappy about that. That was the last Naruto chapter I was going to read that's for sure. I get enough stereotypes about black people from American Television, I don't need to go through anymore from overseas.
babybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 06:23   Link #29
Ash Falls Town

I'm guessing nobody reading this thread has watched Neuro or someone would of brought up David Rice.
He's blond, blue eyed, big nosed, tall. He has an American flag on his jacket and he wears blue jeans. He even has good random english since he was voiced by an American english teacher.

Of course this is all before he takes on his monster form which is mearly him with an even longer nose. In this form he randomly sings Star Spangled Banner, rants how American people are better than non-Americans (Because Americans only eat hamburgers and BBQ, only wear jeans and take drugs to cheat at baseball) and maintains that non-Americans not giving up there resources and hurting there pride is grounds for killing them. He then pulls a gun from his pants because he was insulted that someone would insinuate he would use a knife instead of a gun and proceeds to rant about how great guns are.
Ash Falls Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 11:45   Link #30
Aretsugu no Kimi

Speaking of Communism, Russia is frequently portrayed as the Soviet in 21st century. However, Russian characters in Anime are not antagonists. They are generally courteous and courageous.

It is interesting. In real world, Japanese and Russian governments are always disputing with each other.
Aretsugu no Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 11:56   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretsugu no Kimi View Post
Speaking of Communism, Russia is frequently portrayed as the Soviet in 21st century. However, Russian characters in Anime are not antagonists. They are generally courteous and courageous.
Are you including Black Lagoon's Balalaika in this category? She does display courtesy (often before shooting someone in the head), and she was certainly courageous while leading her forces in Afghanistan, but she's hardly a nice person by any stretch of the imagination.
Spoiler for BL ep 19-24:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 12:11   Link #32
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Another example to the hot headed, crude and lewd foreign stereotype:
I didn't know there was a stereotype in which Germans (or Austrians?) are lazy womanizers. Now, if he was an Italian (for instance Paolo from Friends), I might agree that it was beaten to death offensive stereotype. And anyway, the series is full with all kinds Japanese weirdoes too.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 12:26   Link #33
wontaek

As far as most anime series is concerned, there is no Korean on face of Earth. You can get multitudes of foreigners on the series, yet despite being the most numerous minority in Japan, Koreans almost never makes any entrance.
Old 2008-09-11, 13:32   Link #34
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
As far as most anime series is concerned, there is no Korean on face of Earth. You can get multitudes of foreigners on the series, yet despite being the most numerous minority in Japan, Koreans almost never makes any entrance.
There were a few Korean bridge bunnies I think, but I can only remember Hyo-Jin Yun from Super Robot Wars, or its anime Divine Wars.

I'd like to point out 'Chinatans' though. Why are they always so hot lol, can anyone point out one chinese lady that isn't pretty?

You see: Wang Liu Mei, Gin Rei, Li Mei Ling, Rio Meilong, Lin Minmei, Chun Li, Kuraudoberi Jam etc.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 13:49   Link #35
Aretsugu no Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are you including Black Lagoon's Balalaika in this category?
I forgot it. I'll make the excuse, saying that BL is full with villains of various nationalities, not only Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
As far as most anime series is concerned, there is no Korean on face of Earth.
I have heard the detailed explanation why there are very few Korean characters in Anime. In short, Japanese are afraid of protest by Korean themselves.

"Hikaru no Go" is probably the most famous anime series in which Koreans appear. In this series, however, they were portrayed as antagonists, though they had some honesty. And then some Korean people living in Japan violently protested this anime. So every Japanese writer or creater were shocked and began to refrain from portraying Korean characters as not only antagonists but also protagonists and such. That is why Koreans are excluded from Anime world. Currently, it is taboo to get Korean characters to appear in anime or manga as well as Japanese Emperor.

In defence of Koreans, I say that many Korean people are not so irritable and they did tolerate Korean portrayal of "Hikaru no Go".
Aretsugu no Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 20:35   Link #36
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybro View Post
To notice the latest in black steretypes, just check out the latest chapters of Naruto, the last place I expected it. The cat looks like a straight rip off of westley snipes and raven from Tekken. But what's bad is that the mofo raps almost throughout the entire scene's he's in. Let's just say quite a few people were unhappy about that. That was the last Naruto chapter I was going to read that's for sure. I get enough stereotypes about black people from American Television, I don't need to go through anymore from overseas.

seriously? Wow... It would be better not to include any black characters at all. That's how I feel about the females, too, better to have only one or two female ninjas who are decent than have 4 or 5 who only get in the way, drag everyone down, and have terrible personalities...
(Also, anime characters are quite uniform when it comes to skin color, which is interesting considering how generously diverse they are in terms of hair color.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretsugu no Kimi View Post
"Hikaru no Go" is probably the most famous anime series in which Koreans appear. In this series, however, they were portrayed as antagonists, though they had some honesty. And then some Korean people living in Japan violently protested this anime. So every Japanese writer or creater were shocked and began to refrain from portraying Korean characters as not only antagonists but also protagonists and such. That is why Koreans are excluded from Anime world. Currently, it is taboo to get Korean characters to appear in anime or manga as well as Japanese Emperor.

In defence of Koreans, I say that many Korean people are not so irritable and they did tolerate Korean portrayal of "Hikaru no Go".
I didn't realize anime shows had the power to trigger mild political unrest... On an unrelated side note, Hikaru no Go has got to be one of the most underhyped anime series I've watched.
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 20:53   Link #37
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

At least most foreigners get some kind of sophisticated portrayal or some kind of complicated mindset. Mexicans in anime are portrayed as some kind of pseudo gorila's that speak like hitting, live to fight and are on the lower spectrum of the IQ. eg Lala from School Rumble and Chad from Bleach. I think the only decent portrayal (and even then it was just from an american latino) was Dr. Rodriguez from Kyou Kara Maoh!

Mexico is a desert and there are cactus everywhere. And it looks like some bad old western American flick. Eg. El cazador de la bruja.

... then again I think that's the stereotype we get worldwide so maybe it's just not a Japanese thing
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 21:06   Link #38
Bakafool
The Green Beast of Konoha

Umm .... Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 anyone? I dunno if she portrayed a certain Chinese stereotype, but she was cute and kicked ass. So it's all good to me.
Bakafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 21:10   Link #39
Bakafool
The Green Beast of Konoha

[QUOTE=MikoKikyo;1890710]
seriously? Wow... It would be better not to include any black characters at all. That's how I feel about the females, too, better to have only one or two female ninjas who are decent than have 4 or 5 who only get in the way, drag everyone down, and have terrible personalities...
(Also, anime characters are quite uniform when it comes to skin color, which is interesting considering how generously diverse they are in terms of hair color.)

I didn't realize anime shows had the power to trigger mild political unrest... On an unrelated side note, Hikaru no Go has got to be one of the most underhyped anime series I've watched.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of politics .... in the Philippines Voltes V was one of the Japanese animated shows banned by President Ferdinand Marcos in the late 70's, with the excuse that it bred violent tendencies in children. This same generation eventually grew up to overthrow his decades-long regime in the mid-80's.
Bakafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 08:25   Link #40
babybro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikoKikyo View Post

I didn't realize anime shows had the power to trigger mild political unrest... On an unrelated side note, Hikaru no Go has got to be one of the most underhyped anime series I've watched.

Exactly my point. The worst thing is that they performed an exact copy of my favorite black character from Japan, which is Raven. While true, Raven is heavily based off of blade, the guy's a freakin ninja's. How many animes/games/manga's have a black person as a bad a$$, silent destroyer, super ninja. I was telling everyone itagaki needed to take some lessons. Kishi literally ripped completely off of raven, someone did a side by side photo of each character and I'm like...what's the difference, oh that's right, killer bee has cornrolls * Facepalm* What's even worse is the guy was a fodder.

I completely agree that I also would rather not see a black person at all than see one that's a mockery like killer bee.

Oh and anime shows definitely don't just spark minor problems from overseas. I'm not sure if anyone heard about this yet, but the writers from jo jo adventurers "accidentally" used the Koran as a terrorist book. Little Japan was attacked by like 5 nations lol. It was even in the Japanese news. The government had to give out an official apology and ordered all anime/manga/game companies to perform extensive research BEFORE using foreign people and items. But it looks like good ole Kishi didn't listen when he created the character Killer Bee.
babybro is offline   Reply With Quote