Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-10-05, 19:31   Link #1
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Woah.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/05/steve-jobs-dead-apple/

Apple is a terrible company, but you have to respect Job's business senses.

EDIT: Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs.
Old 2011-10-05, 19:35   Link #2
Kudryavka

Woah woah, didn't see this coming.

R.I.P Steve Job. One of the greatest computer entrepreneurs ever. His creations will live on; Apple has immortalized him.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 19:36   Link #3
JRendell
Manga Addict

Whoa indeed. I knew he had health issues, but it's still quite shocking.

RIP Mr. Jobs.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 19:41   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Had no idea this was coming either ... rest in peace Steve.
Old 2011-10-05, 19:43   Link #5
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Already posted my sentiment in the news thread.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Even though I was a disliker of the apply products still a intellengent man R.I.P Steve jobs
Dude, I know you dislike Apple but get the name right

Same sentiment, hate Apple and iAnything, but for the man himself and the work/effort he put in to turn his company around, his efforts are inspirational.

Life is short, it's finite, use it wisely, enjoy everyday doing and creating what you love until your dying breath

I'm curious if people are gonna go crazy and mass buy stuff thinking that now he's passed away, no more apple stuff will come out so cue panic xD
(Almost like when a singer dies and then their albums become #1)
On a side note, am I the only one who is unfazed, not shocked or sad about this seeing as we knew he was in poor health for a long while, had retired and was taking it easy.
Doesn't feel like much of a surprise in that sense...

(Or do I need to own an Apple product before feeling emotionally tied) >.>

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 19:53   Link #6
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
It seems like he certainly followed his. Rest in peace.
Old 2011-10-05, 19:53   Link #7
Xion Valkyrie

I always thought he was dead when they had that September 9th 'false alarm' tweet, and they've just covered it up until after they announced the iPhone 4s.

Either way it's no surprise considering how he's made no public appearances since he retired.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 20:03   Link #8
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Already posted my sentiment in the news thread.

On a side note, am I the only one who is unfazed, not shocked or sad about this seeing as we knew he was in poor health for a long while, had retired and was taking it easy.
Doesn't feel like much of a surprise in that sense...

(Or do I need to own an Apple product before feeling emotionally tied) >.>
I hate Apple products with a passion, but still, I respect Steve Jobs.

It's not easy to come up with a strategy to sell a product on-par with those on the market, but for 20-30% more. People flocked for new Apple stuff.
Old 2011-10-05, 20:04   Link #9
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Whoa indeed. I knew he had health issues, but it's still quite shocking.

RIP Mr. Jobs.
Considering that he had Pancreatic Cancer... and from what I've heard... there's a 4% survival rate to that. So... it was rather... inevitable.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 20:08   Link #10
Alchemist007
*Author

Sucks, Apple won't be as fun to make fun of anymore.
Old 2011-10-05, 20:11   Link #11
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I also hate Apple most of the time, but was still shocked at him passing away.

Maybe because i am more or less influenced by that speech of his in Stanford University
Old 2011-10-05, 20:11   Link #12
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

For the people who will negatively remember Steve Jobs as the "Apple Developer", they should also look into his previous works. Seriously, have a read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

That's too bad, what an unfortunate event.
Old 2011-10-05, 20:13   Link #13
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Ah, to be fair, now that Steve is dead, it's only the beginning.

Can't have a religion while he's still alive.

In Steve we trust.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 20:29   Link #14
The Operator
Slenderman? On MY plane?

IMHO, this is not surprising, as, being a CEO of the second-largest corporation in the world, why would Steve Jobs step down from his job if it were not for a gravely serious matter (if you'll pardon the pun)?

Nonetheless, I telepathically send my sincerest condolences to the Jobs family.
...But, as we both know, appearances can be deceiving, which leads me back to the reason why we're here. We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason, no denying purpose, for, without purpose, we would not exist.
The Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 20:31   Link #15
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
I felt so shocked when I heard this news. I heard it from a friend, and merely thought he was just trolling, due to the coincidental release of the iPhone S4, and it's apparent disappointment.

Then it didn't take long for me to realize he was really gone.

I have an enormous amount of respect for the man, I always have. He is a revolutionary in what he has done for the ever-growing world of a technological society. He has influenced our ways of everyday life, like no one has for decades beyond his time. But... I indeed knew he was battling this disease and cancer of his for a while. It seemed inevitable, I guess. Even Jobs himself sensed it, when he stepped down from his CEO position.

He'll be remembered for his charisma, his leadership of forging a great company, and his creations which have touched us so in our lives.

RIP, Steve Jobs
Old 2011-10-05, 20:40   Link #16
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Aye, I may dislike certain elements of Apple and it's fans, but I can't deny that Steve Jobs was a smart and charismatic guy, a genius in his field. For the companies he was involved with he did great things.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 20:53   Link #17
flying ^

my gut tells me that...

1. samsung electronics will overtake & out-innovate apple at the end of this decade
2. sony will return to it's 'rightful spot' (maybe a notch above samsung) since the glory days of playstation

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 21:11   Link #18
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
my gut tells me that...

1. samsung electronics will overtake & out-innovate apple at the end of this decade
2. sony will return to it's 'rightful spot' (maybe a notch above samsung) since the glory days of playstation

Uhm..... what? It'll never reach the top on its own

Mind you, Samsung Electronics’ operating profit in 2009, at $3.14 billion, was more than two times larger than the combined operating profit of nine of Japan’s largest consumer electronic companies.

Anyway, an exchange I had on a different forum:

Quote:
Good bye. I'll just be hoping Samsung buries the bitten apple as a tribute for Jobs's funeral.

Yes, I know I sound trollish, but I've always hated Apple to the core.

Apple will continue to do well and be the largest tech company and continue to kick ass. Get over it.

Not really. Most of Apple's power comes from Jobs, While I don't see Apple kicking the bucket anytime soon, I don't expect it to be the powerhouse it is right now.

So yes, I stand by my position. As Greenspan once said: "A firm is inherently fragile if its value-added emanates more from conceptual as distinct from physical assets. Trust and reputation can vanish overnight. A factory cannot."

This has been disproved time and time again. Jobs was a brilliant marketer, but Apple was still making quality products even in their down times. Now they are at the top of the world, with a really good development team with tons of money to waste. Get over it.

Steve Laughs At You From the Grave.

Nah, I'm not one to follow the Apple fanatics, since I've been proven right since the 1990's, back in elementary school
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 21:21   Link #19
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I read a rather interesting article today about the iP4S...you know the one just before Job's passing.

It pointed out something rather interesting...the disappointment of the "not iphone 5" is rather unjust, as the IP4S is, in its own way, much superior than the IP4. It is, I mean, way more processing power, better camera, icloud, and such...yet, it is a failure in terms of publicity, why?

Simple, because Tim Cook didn't call it an iPhone 5.

It may look like an iPhone 4, but the product is vastly superior and improved from the 4. If it was Job's presentation, he would've called it a iPhone5. His arrogance and confidence would not allow himself to take the passive approach, and calling an improved product an old name is a passive approach.

That essentially is the power of Steve Jobs. Not only does he thinks ahead, but he knows exactly how to manipulate the masses. Why do people buy Apple products when you can get similar products for cheaper? Because it's an Apple, and Steve Jobs says Apple is better.
Old 2011-10-05, 21:28   Link #20
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Uhm..... what? It'll never reach the top on its own

nevermind... i was thinking/reminiscing of the time when Sony was at the top of the tech world and Samsung + Lucky Goldstar back then were peddling forgettable stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
It pointed out something rather interesting...the disappointment of the "not iphone 5" is rather unjust, as the IP4S is, in its own way, much superior than the IP4. It is, I mean, way more processing power, better camera, icloud, and such...yet, it is a failure in terms of publicity, why?
the huge jump in graphics engine alone is enough to call IP4S an IP5!
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote