AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-29, 07:07   Link #381
Ottocycle

The age-old question. LOL

Who's stronger? Nanoha or Fate? Too bad even if it's canon, the ones providing the answers are canon fanboys/girls too.
Old 2007-08-29, 07:09   Link #382
Aaron008R

Can we bother you to give us the gist?

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2007-08-29, 07:21   Link #383
Ottocycle

Forwards wonder which of their captains is stronger.
Subaru/Erio go 4chan fanboy/girl on each other.
Rational Tia wonders about the lieutenants + Hayate's strength
Alto + Subaru turn it into a variety show.
Signum is indifferent about it all towards Griffiths+Shari+Lucino
More Vivio family fluff
Hayate admits she's weak upon The question from Tia. She says she just stands there and fires and is unable to do anything while in high speed flight. Hence she took the Mixed rank instead of the Air Combat ranks.

Edit: It'll probably be at least a month before we translate this chapter. So don't hold your collective breaths
Old 2007-08-29, 07:45   Link #384
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
StrikerS manga ch7 is now up and ready for download. Bittorrent file link here.
Thanks to selkirk and humbug23 for translating and QC work. ^_^
I'm seeding this and ch6 still, so please help when you can to seed.

As you can see from my sig, we're looking for translators. If you have the skills and the time, let us know. No speed-TLers please! We're looking for accuracy here. ^_-
DLing now... Say anyone know if chaps 1-4 was archived somewhere? I just dug through my HDD and found only 5-6, and soon 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Hayate admits she's weak upon The question from Tia. She says she just stands there and fires and is unable to do anything while in high speed flight. Hence she took the Mixed rank instead of the Air Combat ranks.
This makes Riot 6's formation seem like is was ancient planning, probably right from the start when Hayate and the Wolkies first met Carim.

I say this because to me Hayate seems to want to bump her rank up as far as possible to take a command position ASAP. Has my statement been verified anywhere? Just thought that this piece of info would help me structure my OC timeline better.
Old 2007-08-29, 09:41   Link #385
Aaron008R

Thanks for the translation, humbug!

Quote:
Forwards wonder which of their captains is stronger.
I didn't expect this.

Quote:
Subaru/Erio go 4chan fanboy/girl on each other.
Typical.

Quote:
Rational Tia wonders about the lieutenants + Hayate's strength
It seems Tea is the closest forward to Hayate.

Quote:
Alto + Subaru turn it into a variety show.

Quote:
Signum is indifferent about it all towards Griffiths+Shari+Lucino
As expected.

Quote:
More Vivio family fluff
That looked cute. At least it wasn't too extended.

Quote:
Ouch!
Ahh, well. Not being good on one-on-one doesn't immediately translate to incompetence in combat in general. Besides, if she gets shot down, the Wolkies can say goodbye as well so it makes sense. This'll be of use in the OC thread.

Quote:
Edit: It'll probably be at least a month before we translate this chapter. So don't hold your collective breaths
We can wait. It's certainly better than having none at all!

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2007-08-29, 21:46   Link #386
Icarus
shmupmonkey

Yeah, sorry for the slowness guys, it's primarily my fault as I'm swamped with work at the moment. Chapter 8 is undergoing final QC, and I've almost finished v1 of Chapter 9 which should be going into proofreading and QC sometime tomorrow (day off work, so will be spending it wrapping up the editing backlog).
Old 2007-08-30, 10:19   Link #387
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
This makes Riot 6's formation seem like is was ancient planning, probably right from the start when Hayate and the Wolkies first met Carim.

I say this because to me Hayate seems to want to bump her rank up as far as possible to take a command position ASAP. Has my statement been verified anywhere? Just thought that this piece of info would help me structure my OC timeline better.
Well, we know RF6 had been in the planning for at least four years, since Hayate invites Nanoha and Fate the day after the airport incident, four years before RF 6 becomes operational.

Quote:
DLing now... Say anyone know if chaps 1-4 was archived somewhere? I just dug through my HDD and found only 5-6, and soon 7.
*stuffs his random group translated 1-4 in a rar* Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Yeah, sorry for the slowness guys, it's primarily my fault as I'm swamped with work at the moment. Chapter 8 is undergoing final QC, and I've almost finished v1 of Chapter 9 which should be going into proofreading and QC sometime tomorrow (day off work, so will be spending it wrapping up the editing backlog).
Take your time, no rush here.

*remembers several rushed translations*

*shudders*

Nope, no rush at all.
Old 2007-08-30, 10:26   Link #388
Liingo
Love Hina?

@ Icarus No need to apologise about any delays. Heck, if it wasn't for you, Selkirk and Humbug, we wouldn't have had translations of chapter 5 onwards.

We'll be waiting patiently for the release, now worries

I'd help out if I could, but not enough Japanese learnt to be able to do much.

Here's cookies for all of the team for the work that you've been doing!
*hands out cookies*
Old 2007-08-30, 10:27   Link #389
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Take your time, no rush here.

*remembers several rushed translations*

*shudders*

Nope, no rush at all.
Posts like these make me less conflicted when I decide to fail a chapter's QC for the 7th time and above...Icarus, selkirk, *hint hint*

EDIT: Oh and Liingo, don't forget ikka, erm I mean Icarisain too
Old 2007-08-30, 19:11   Link #390
Icarus
shmupmonkey

Quote:
Posts like these make me less conflicted when I decide to fail a chapter's QC for the 7th time and above...Icarus, selkirk, *hint hint*

EDIT: Oh and Liingo, don't forget ikka, erm I mean Icarisain too
Yeah, well, you know me. I'd rather release something that everyone in the group is 100% happy with, than release something with a billion glaring errors.
BACKLOG CLEARED! (Finally.) Time to play Raiden Fighters Jet.

Also, just ordered new Megami this afternoon, so it should arrive by next week-ish. I have my eyes on flsnow.net for the latest raws, which I'll be nabbing and cleaning ASAP when they hit.

Also, if there are going to be six chapters per tankoubon, that would mean there's another two chapters to go. One's most likely an epilogue, so that leaves one more chapter to wrap up loose ends. Something for the bad guys, perhaps?

EDIT: Gah! I can't count properly after a heavy session of Photoshop. >_<
Seven chapters per volume, so there's another 4 possible. What can they do with those four, I wonder, aside from one being an epilogue?

Last edited by Icarus; 2007-08-30 at 19:47. Reason: Stupidity.
Old 2007-08-30, 19:35   Link #391
Frankenstein's Clare
This is mah flash sword.

Okay, I guess I'm coming in a little late for chapter 7, but Hayate wearing her coat over-the-shoulders, no arms in the sleeves, reminds me of Balalaika and scares me very much.

Her smiling just makes it worse.
Old 2007-08-31, 22:44   Link #392
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
So, what is going on here?

Spoiler for Latest manga scans:
Uh, did you take them yourself? If yes, would you mind putting a couple more inches of distance b/w the camera and the page so you can get the whole thing into sight?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
I didn't expect this.
It is way overdue, in fact.

Quote:
Typical.

It seems Tea is the closest forward to Hayate.
That's shown in the canon show too. There's something nice going on there, except they shafted it for more Vivio.

Quote:
Ouch!
Ahh, well. Not being good on one-on-one doesn't immediately translate to incompetence in combat in general. Besides, if she gets shot down, the Wolkies can say goodbye as well so it makes sense. This'll be of use in the OC thread.
Well, 7Arcs never misses a chance to shaft Hayate to the point of character assassination

At least now I know where Chaos' "Caro" comment came from. Sorry for doubting you back there, Chaos
Spoiler for OK, OK, I'd put the rant in a spoiler:
Chaos: Do you have to take it that far?
Me: It is a matter of character development and tactics, so yes.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2007-08-31 at 23:29. Reason: Rant compression
Old 2007-09-01, 01:05   Link #393
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
At least now I know where Chaos' "Caro" comment came from. Sorry for doubting you back there, Chaos
Spoiler for OK, OK, I'd put the rant in a spoiler:
Chaos: Do you have to take it that far?
Me: It is a matter of character development and tactics, so yes.
Well... She's only 19? There is a limit of how much you can learn in canon, unless you're talking about the extremely talented OCs we've been making...

I forgive her focus on range range range, but this will not apply to tactical screw-ups. Then again, this is mahou-shoujo who tries to turn things on its head, and so would retain a few evolutionary baggages of MS anime.

Basically, if we keep arguing on the same points that link to fundamental reasoning it can go on in similar circles forever...
Old 2007-09-01, 01:58   Link #394
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Well... She's only 19? There is a limit of how much you can learn in canon, unless you're talking about the extremely talented OCs we've been making...
I don't know what kind of monster OCs you are creating in that thread - I know Keroko's Keroko and Tesla (good but not uber) and someone called "Kha" (brief glimpses suggest the maker made him pretty l33t), and that's it, but...

I'm asking that she learns over ten years as Nanoha did over a few months. Remember when Nanoha met Fate? Then Nanoha was basically a blaster-only, too. She soon realizes that wouldn't let her beat Fate. Matching Fate's doctrine is no good because she's bad at sports and may never match Fate in agility or reflexes given an entire lifetime.

So what does she do? She develops her own mid and close range combat doctrine, the base of which lasts till today, involving homing beams coordinated with sharp blasts - playing to her strengths. By the end of the first Nanoha, the new doctrine proves perfectly competitive, giving Nanoha a useful close in and dogfighting ability to complement her bombardment capability.

Instead, Hayate avoids solving this problem at all. You see how this is character assassination once a contrast is shown?
Old 2007-09-01, 02:35   Link #395
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Uh, did you take them yourself? If yes, would you mind putting a couple more inches of distance b/w the camera and the page so you can get the whole thing into sight?

Thanks in advance.
I didn't do those unfortunately, just took them off 4chan, sorry

And not really the type to talk about "character assasination" and such, but I just chalk it down to the fact that there are many people in the world, and not all of them can do the same things. Some people are born naturally talented in one area to the point of perfection, while others are incredibly good at multi-tasking and generalization, while others have to work much harder to achieve the same results as the two former examples. And sometimes, all three come as a result of happenstance rather than choice. You can't expect everyone to be able to cover their bases, just because a few talented people can. But that's why those who can't try and work on the talents that they are good at, and specialize in it, rather than waste energy trying to plug a chink in your armor when you don't have to, because of the people watching your back, and covering for your weaknesses with their own strengths, while you cover their weaknesses with your strength. You just try to do the best that you can do to the best of your ability, and let others do what they're good at.

*rant over*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-09-01, 03:25   Link #396
Frankenstein's Clare
This is mah flash sword.

Quote:
I don't know what kind of monster OCs you are creating in that thread - I know Keroko's Keroko and Tesla (good but not uber) and someone called "Kha" (brief glimpses suggest the maker made him pretty l33t), and that's it, but...

I'm asking that she learns over ten years as Nanoha did over a few months. Remember when Nanoha met Fate? Then Nanoha was basically a blaster-only, too. She soon realizes that wouldn't let her beat Fate. Matching Fate's doctrine is no good because she's bad at sports and may never match Fate in agility or reflexes given an entire lifetime.

So what does she do? She develops her own mid and close range combat doctrine, the base of which lasts till today, involving homing beams coordinated with sharp blasts - playing to her strengths. By the end of the first Nanoha, the new doctrine proves perfectly competitive, giving Nanoha a useful close in and dogfighting ability to complement her bombardment capability.

Instead, Hayate avoids solving this problem at all. You see how this is character assassination once a contrast is shown?
Apologies:

Nanoha has always had an intelligent device to learn from and a well-understood magic system to work with. Hayate uses an ancient magic system almost nobody understands that was info-dumped on her by a device that no longer exists. And from what we've seen of Belkan magic, it lends itself much more heavily to specialization than Midchildan magic. The most versatile Belkan mage we've seen outside the Book itself is probably Vita, who at the end of the day is still far better at smashing things with her hammer than anything else.

Tangent to the above- saying Nanoha and Hayate both started out 'blaster-types' is disingenuous. Nanoha's spells were always meant for one-on-one combat, they were just oriented towards longer ranges. With the exception of Ragnarok Breaker Hayate's all affect huge areas and have a totally different combat role. If the spells we've seen from Hayate are representative of her overall arsenal, she started out far more specialized than Nanoha ever was.

But more than external limits Hayate's personal goals and situation are good explanations for why she hasn't become an ace mage:

Nanoha, as is amply demonstrated by the various Nanoha-in-the-sky-with-diamonds rants characters go on, lives for aerial combat. It's her thing. We have no indication that Hayate has her level of interest in becoming an all-powerful magical dualist, or any at all. All indications are that she's always put the development of her career and influence ahead of the development of her magical powers- she went into investigations rather than a combat branch like Fate and Nanoha, passed the officer examinations far more easily than they but admitted to having reached her mage rank in part due to the favoritism shown rare ability users. It in no way impugns the character for them not to be able to defeat another character/not be capable of fighting in all roles because they had larger goals in life than being a one-woman army.

As you say, Nanoha had Fate, both a threat to her life and a personal obsession, to drive her to develop her tactical doctrines. Hayate has ALWAYS been protected by the Wolkenritter. Necessity is the mother of invention, and Nanoha had huge gobs of necessity where Hayate has probably had none. Why bother developing a tactical doctrine for a situation you're unlikely to ever encounter? What's the point in being able to fend off an enemy at close range if Signum or Vita or a huge army of TSA redshirts are always going to be standing in front of you? It's a waste of time.

Last edited by Frankenstein's Clare; 2007-09-01 at 03:36.
Old 2007-09-01, 03:37   Link #397
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'm generally in agreement on the combat-related aspects, that while it can be better portrayed, but aside from the whole inexperienced commander thing that doesn't really come across as being that well portrayed, I have nothing really against Hayate's artillery status. Besides, it could be just that Hayate gets airsick easily at high-speed flights. Not everyone is made for high speed aerial dog-fights, even after a decade of flying.

However, I do believe that there is a degree of character assassination (( is that what's lackluster development is called these days? )) on the aspect of the 'tool' concept that was supposed to represent Hayate's status as a rare-skill elite mage that's one in thousands (( Ancient Belka + SS + Rare Skill )) alongside her supposed leadership... which honestly, doesn't really reflect much if there was a point behind that. For most parts, aside from the limitations she practically agreed to, she seems to be fully in control of herself and RF6, with little political, red-taping slapping her in the face, and being backed by strong backers that are people she can trust, rely and treat her as family... aside from her self-guilt thing which honestly, got brushed over relatively quickly, there seems to be nothing born from that sub-plot other than making Hayate feel different... which honestly, doesn't really feel that way.

This is off-topic though.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-09-01, 05:33   Link #398
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein's Clare View Post
Apologies:

Nanoha has always had an intelligent device to learn from and a well-understood magic system to work with. Hayate uses an ancient magic system almost nobody understands that was info-dumped on her by a device that no longer exists.
1) It is hardly as unknown as you imply. Ultimately, between herself and the TSAB, they did make a new Reinforce. Creating a whole human-grade personality magical being from dirt is pretty advanced stuff.
2) Belka is basically a Midchildran offshoot and has been recreated into the New Belka.
3) If Belkan magic is being very restrictive, there seems no reason why she can't just change tracks into the more flexible Midchildran (which is supposed to more suitable for bombardment). She already uses a wierd mishmash of Belkan and Midchildran magic anyway (see Hraesvelgr's firing circles).

Quote:
Tangent to the above- saying Nanoha and Hayate both started out 'blaster-types' is disingenuous. Nanoha's spells were always meant for one-on-one combat, they were just oriented towards longer ranges. With the exception of Ragnarok Breaker Hayate's all affect huge areas and have a totally different combat role. If the spells we've seen from Hayate are representative of her overall arsenal, she started out far more specialized than Nanoha ever was.
I am aware of the difference between the two's artillery attacks. In fact, I'd even grant that given Hayate's apparent specialty, it is less adaptable and thus it is likely she'd never achieve the same level of all-roundness as Nanoha or Fate. That's not why I'm complaining.

Quote:
As you say, Nanoha had Fate, both a threat to her life and a personal obsession, to drive her to develop her tactical doctrines. Hayate has ALWAYS been protected by the Wolkenritter. Necessity is the mother of invention, and Nanoha had huge gobs of necessity where Hayate has probably had none. Why bother developing a tactical doctrine for a situation you're unlikely to ever encounter? What's the point in being able to fend off an enemy at close range if Signum or Vita or a huge army of TSA redshirts are always going to be standing in front of you? It's a waste of time.
Spoiler for Size:
Old 2007-09-01, 07:20   Link #399
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
To be more presice, Keroko is as powerfull as Nanoha, and mainly a mid-ranged combatant. Even her device (a dual sided axe) is mainly there to scream 'stay away from me!' which is precicely what she wants. She can handle herself in close combat, but is by no means an expert in it.

Tesla is about as powerfull as the Wolkies come, certainly not more so, and is mainly a sniper/tacician. The weakest out of all of them in close combat, bar Shamal. Still quite nasty though.

I tend to focuss on balance when it comes to my OC's. Using mine as examples of strong or fast learners (well, she does learn fast, but not more so then the other three) is a bad example of OC-thread madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein's Clare View Post
But more than external limits Hayate's personal goals and situation are good explanations for why she hasn't become an ace mage:
Buh..? I thought Hayate is an Ace. What with all the 'three Aces' and all.
Old 2007-09-01, 07:34   Link #400
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

@arkhangelsk

Ermmm... Which "Caro" comment were you refering to ?

Cause I've said alot of things about that girl...

Oh wait, is it about how Caro is the only one Hayate can defeat one on one?
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen