Notices

Old 2023-12-13, 18:36   Link #201
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Wait, she changed class?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Most visible at 1:28

Not sure which part you are talking about, the sword thickness or the missing hand guard. If you are missing the hand guard, that one can be clearly seen at time stamp mentioned above.
Also, not all rapiers are basically look like flexible antennas. Some of them do indeed have a wider blade.

While longswords with hand guards do exist, they are comparably rare. The biggest hint towards it being a rapier though is the way Goblin Paladin is using it, as most of his attack are piercing strikes. The one slash we do see him make honestly looks more like an attempt to parry rather than a strike that could have wounded GS trough a plate.

Last but not least, I also think that the likelihood of a Japanese author knowing about rare longsword variants isn't thart high, and most spellblades also use rapiers.

She gave up being an adventurer.
https://goblin-slayer.fandom.com/wiki/Female_Merchant

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 00:58   Link #202
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
The definition of online dictionary is "A rapier is a straight, two-edged sword with a narrow pointed blade, designed especially for thrusting." Even the sword in anime is not narrow, I will not disagree with your definition. What bothers me is the "attempt to parry" part. I took fencing class, so I recognize that Goblin Paladin is not a parrying sword. It is more like a random swing attack.

I can assure you that the majority of (long)swords have a wider blade than the one shown in the anime. You just have to google rapier and actually get a lot of similarly wide blades as in the picture. It also fits the spellblade stereotype they were going for with her.
Even the anime version of Knight's sword, which is btw thinner than the manga versions', has a wider blade than that rapier.

As for the parrying. I still think he tried to block Goblin slayers strike. Everything else would be stupid as a strike like that wouldn't harm GS in any way

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 11:34   Link #203
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Lucky break for the girl that they wanted to use her for a ritual instead of anything else. Took enough time for the main cast to safely reach her. I guess she can be safely chewed out for her stupid stunt without it being a case of laying into her too much.

That should do it and there shouldn't be any need to go deeper. But I guess we'll see if anything unexpected happens.

As usual the GS crew and Hero party are indirectly interacting as they take care of different things. Thankfully that rain of goblins interacting with that weird monster didn't cause any trouble. Still well within a safe level of strength to defeat.
Old 2023-12-15, 18:35   Link #204
GDB

Something unexpected HAS to happen with them ending the episode so abruptly immediately at the point of saving her from the goblins. There's no way they just cut like that just to waltz out like normal and head back to town.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 18:43   Link #205
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

That monster looked like a bunch of mutated goblins slapped together in one chimera. Reminded me of Hell-Pit Abominations from Warhammer fantasy in this regard.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 19:09   Link #206
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I guess I shouldn't be surprised goblin priests exist since it was implied a God is helping them. Don't remember which.
Old 2023-12-15, 19:19   Link #207
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised goblin priests exist since it was implied a God is helping them. Don't remember which.
God of Wisdom. He was discussed again last episode.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 20:11   Link #208
grecefar

yeah, I doubt this is going to be that easy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-15, 21:37   Link #209
Twi

Review done.

Stuff:

Spoiler:
Old 2023-12-16, 04:21   Link #210
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Goblins Slayer: "Goblins are extremely dangerous*

Also Goblins Slayer, Goblins this episode->
Doesn't shoot arrow and doesn't do anything to hostage as enemy approaches

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-16, 07:56   Link #211
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Goblins Slayer: "Goblins are extremely dangerous*

Also Goblins Slayer, Goblins this episode->
Doesn't shoot arrow and doesn't do anything to hostage as enemy approaches
I'm going to assume a lot of this is on the animation team. I mean, when they were in that hallway they had all the time in the world to talk, plan, casually toss oil and a torch on a group, JUMP OVER that flaming pile, and then... waste a Gate spell on like 5 stragglers? There's no way that's how things went down, at least in those numbers, in the novel.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 10:38   Link #212
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

One thing I suddenly noticed. Nobody ever wins alone in this show. Outside of the introductory episode, they always win as a team. With a plan, no less.

Takes me back to that feeling of overcoming a difficult encounter in D&D.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 12:57   Link #213
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 18:35   Link #214
grecefar

it wasn't a bad season, of course it could've been better. Those first chapters with the wizard boy were a chore but after that it wasn't that bad.

7/10. Last chapter was good and I loved to see the sword maiden showing off.

Last edited by grecefar; 2023-12-22 at 19:16.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-22, 19:14   Link #215
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Lots of goblins were killed this season, so I guess the show did its job? Very shitty animation and first half though.

I laughed really hard when Priestess ignored the princess in order to get her chainmail, and only then consoled her. Being a Priestess and all, you'd think she would value life over worldly possessions...
Old 2023-12-22, 19:35   Link #216
Twi

Ugh... I hate to say it, but the anime did them dirty this episode as I got through the Light Novel for this part.

To summarize my review, I will admit I am not as hyped as I was for the first one. The content itself isn't bad, though considering how much cut content I have to write about I'm not happy important things get snipped, but I really felt the budget. Especially those still shots as they climbed to the top of the Dungeon.

There's no way to exclaim just how lacking the animation for this season was compared to the first season. Not to mention the scenes don't highlight the epicness of the LN (this last battle especially in the bottom section), so it feels lackluster. It wasn't unwatchable, but as a fan, I grieve the quality and wish we got better than we did.

I sincerely doubt we will be getting a Season Three, even if there are enough materials for it. So this is what people are going to remember it for in the end. And that saddens me because the world of Goblin Slayer is an interesting take from the eyes of one who hunts the weakest monsters.

And now for the cut content. Strap yourselves in, this is going to be a long one as this episode starts in the middle of Volume 8, Chapter 8, and wraps up the entire thing:

Spoiler:
Old 2023-12-22, 21:16   Link #217
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I did love the early part. "Ok banged up Princess...oh my god my chainmail!" I mean yeah, I'm sure the chainmail has more value to her than the person that took it. But that's hilarious how they cut that scene together. Checks the girl, runs to her chainmail, but makes it back in time to comfort the girl. Though honestly you kind of doubt she cares and is mostly being thankful her chainmail is safe .

Basically fighting Master Hand or FGO's Hand of Dawn was pretty amusing. Utterly dangerous if it got locked in, but also...it was a hand. Just had to outmaneuver it. Close call though.

Especially close call with a whole army of goblins waiting for them. And considering how worn down they were that was an especially dire situation. Thankfully the Sword Maiden did actually come through for them. Managed to gather herself and dug deep at a time when it was most needed. Otherwise they really would have been done for.

What an insane plan though. I mean actually intending to use the goblins to summon a greater demon and combine it with that creepy entity. Could have easily created an apocalyptic situation if things had actually gone according to plan.

So that's it. Honestly...this season was kind of a mess. The editing, fight choreography and development of scenes seemed utterly bizarre. And goodness knows it takes a huge hit for wasting so many episodes on that annoying kid. Absolutely far worse than the original season in just about every way. The main cast was still good and it had some solid moments. The elf marriage mini-arc was good (mostly).

Still...6/10 at the most.
Old 2023-12-23, 06:36   Link #218
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Another end to the season. Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed, but tbf, the 1st season kinda set the bar, and unfortunately the 2nd season could not match it at all. The animation was an obvious downgrade, except that one episode where GS team fights the dinosaur, rides the raft to the ruins(killing some goblins along the way), and the 1-to-1 with GS and HEA. Kinda odd that one episode has superior animation to the rest, but if there was only 1 ep they were going to make that way, then that one was probably the best for me. I just liked the GS/HEA moment especially, but the fighting animation was just too good as well =03.

Next, I'd like to thank Twi for all the effort of mentioning the omitted details from the story every week. That being said, in the 1st season, there were certainly details missing, but other than the Burglar(when GS nearly died) scene and "the dice" being rather obscure, for most of the season, the anime gave sufficient details. This season though, it feels like there were overarching narratives that started to become more important, especially since GS was growing as a character. Him "just slaying goblins" in the 1st season was enough; but now, he's starting to think beyond that, and other characters start to play more of a role in what GS is doing or the events around him, but the anime isn't giving enough details for the narrative to make sense. Showing "snippets" of other teams after they've been doing a number of events in the background does more of a disservice than just outright omitting them. After all, we could just focus on GS, and not "the world of GS" and the events can be made sense.

The Annoying Boy from the first 4 episodes DEFINITELY didn't make getting into the new season any easier. Marriage arc was probably my favorite of the arcs. Last arc was okay. I really liked the music in the last ep, specifically the fight against the hand, and the KoD theme. But after this season, this doesn't particularly make me crave more GS like the 1st season did, esp if its going to be this kind of overall quality(ofc I'll watch if they do though).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-23, 07:20   Link #219
Twi

Someone has to do it since it's a real disservice when important things are snipped that add context or they downplay how serious a situation is with bad animation. Priestess' warring feelings and inadequacies, the sheer cold behind that Blizzard, and how it showed just how much of a threat it hand was when Sword Maiden's previous party slew two of the things with minions around them in the flashback even before they were Silver-Ranked, and so on.

The worst part is when some of the stuff they cut gets bought in later Volumes because they can't go back. After all, time moves forward in Goblin Slayer.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-12-23 at 07:45.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-23, 15:05   Link #220
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Lots of goblins were killed this season, so I guess the show did its job? Very shitty animation and first half though.

I laughed really hard when Priestess ignored the princess in order to get her chainmail, and only then consoled her. Being a Priestess and all, you'd think she would value life over worldly possessions...
Very sh***y animation in second half too. There might be one or two decently looking episodes in middle.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2023-12-23 at 20:13. Reason: grammar fix
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote