AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-09-23, 16:41   Link #34421
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Maybe you should mention that OOC moment on the fic's Tropes page.
Either that, or copy and paste the whole post above into a review comment at FF.net.

I read the whole thing so ravenously that I didn't stop to review any chapter long enough to type out comments for them. The sad thing about archive-binging rather than starting with a fic from the first and only chapter, forced to wait with nothing better to do than ruminate and commentate.

And I hate not giving a chapter the kind of comments all of its contents deserve. Posting a comment just to criticize the flop with Yuuno's characterization, without praising anything in specific, would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Not quite as bad as NanoFate.us commenting in one of F91/00-Raiser's fics JUST to complain about something he'd written in a completely different story. Ugh!
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 16:53   Link #34422
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroIchiNi View Post
I never like the idea of Yuuno having a Device. His Uniqueness is a good, if not very good, mage without a Device. Give him a device and he feels like everyone else.
Well, if the Device was LIKE everyone else's, I suppose.

But giving Yuuno a Device that is primarily a weapon, as with the majority of Intelligent and Armed Devices thus far, is probably not the best for him.

And without any Device at all, he's really not performing as well as he could be. And why accept that handicap for no good reason?

Quote:
Getting a different source of power up like from a Lost Logia would better though.
That just seems to smack of making him too special, though. Kind of like how I want to come up with a background for him that doesn't lean on the idea that he might be a secret heir to Belkan royalty, discovered in a cryo-pod in some ruins.

I have entertained the idea that perhaps Yuuno actually really IS a Familiar.

* He doesn't have any parents.

* He's the only ostensibly "human" character who has the power to shapeshift into an animal form. And really, why would a Mid-Childan mage ever bother to learn to do that? When you can fly, shoot laser from your hands, deflect huge attacks with barriers of light, and turn invisible, an animal's form doesn't offer many advantages.

* He couldn't use Raising Heart, and doesn't ever get another Device; and it seems like Familiars can't use Devices (or at least nothing better than those Spell Cards the twins had).

* There'd be some interesting drama following the revelation. Especially if his master is dying from old age, and has only just now told Yuuno the truth because he'll be disappearing soon as a result.
Old 2011-09-23, 17:46   Link #34423
NTFTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Yuuno's reaction to Fate declaring romantic feelings for Nanoha, and Nanoha returning them, should likewise not be a mild shrug. Even when he was a little nine-year old boy, Yuuno was jealous of Nanoha's attention, practically growling at Chrono whenever Nanoha was nice to him.
Yuuno probably knew how Fate felt about Nanoha for awhile though, after all they had a betting pool running for a couple of years on when Fate would finally confess.
NTFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 17:51   Link #34424
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Well, if the Device was LIKE everyone else's, I suppose.

But giving Yuuno a Device that is primarily a weapon, as with the majority of Intelligent and Armed Devices thus far, is probably not the best for him.

And without any Device at all, he's really not performing as well as he could be. And why accept that handicap for no good reason?

That just seems to smack of making him too special, though. Kind of like how I want to come up with a background for him that doesn't lean on the idea that he might be a secret heir to Belkan royalty, discovered in a cryo-pod in some ruins.

I have entertained the idea that perhaps Yuuno actually really IS a Familiar.

* He doesn't have any parents.

* He's the only ostensibly "human" character who has the power to shapeshift into an animal form. And really, why would a Mid-Childan mage ever bother to learn to do that? When you can fly, shoot laser from your hands, deflect huge attacks with barriers of light, and turn invisible, an animal's form doesn't offer many advantages.

* He couldn't use Raising Heart, and doesn't ever get another Device; and it seems like Familiars can't use Devices (or at least nothing better than those Spell Cards the twins had).

* There'd be some interesting drama following the revelation. Especially if his master is dying from old age, and has only just now told Yuuno the truth because he'll be disappearing soon as a result.

Maybe Yuuno is like Ran Yakumo in a way. Meaning that a familiar becomes so strong, enough to summon it's own familiar, but in this case, Yuuno may have Nanoha? Her talent for magic was never thoroughly explained.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 17:53   Link #34425
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
His reaction should not be to sigh and then go on about business as usual. NO ONE else in the cast would have had that kind of lame reaction.
A moe, smilling, out-of-a-coma Signum defy this claim xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 18:07   Link #34426
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
A moe, smilling, out-of-a-coma Signum defy this claim xD
Huh? What are you talking about?

Signum recovered in Force, heard Nanoha had just nearly died, and shrugged it off?

Signum recovers, and people just shrug it off? Which would still be different from "Signum gets cut down and nearly dies, and people just shrug it off?"
Old 2011-09-23, 18:07   Link #34427
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:

Signum recovered in Force, heard Nanoha had just nearly died, and shrugged it off?

Signum recovers, and people just shrug it off? Which would still be different from "Signum gets cut down and nearly dies, and people just shrug it off?"
Ignore him. When it comes to Signum, Akiyoshi becomes a complete troll.
Old 2011-09-23, 18:13   Link #34428
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:

More like Signum recovers, didn't give a heck about being near killed, or to her job in general, and instead becomes a moe character that smiles and say cute lines xDU.

At least she's pretty xD.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-09-23, 18:18   Link #34429
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
More like Signum recovers, didn't give a heck about being near killed, or to her job in general, and instead becomes a moe character that smiles and say cute lines xDU.

At least she's pretty xD.
I think that part was included into her being as a package from being Lamia Loveless' Expy... except saying the cute lines part...
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
mega1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 18:22   Link #34430
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega1987 View Post
I think that part was included into her being as a package from being Lamia Loveless' Expy... except saying the cute lines part...
Well, Signum isn't an android so instead of the "glitch" that alters Lamia's voice/personality i think Signum will sustain some kind of "brain damage" from her fight with Cypha that will trigger the sudden changes in personality and/or voice xD

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-09-23, 18:24   Link #34431
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Alright enough. Cease your eternal bitching Akiyoshi. We all know the spiel, so let's get back to the fics.
Old 2011-09-23, 18:42   Link #34432
mega1987
GregOS Offline

jeez.... read a bit about Expy.

*trolls around in multiple forums in search of good fanfics...*
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
Old 2011-09-24, 11:41   Link #34433
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
On another note, I wrote something.

Spoiler for Chapter 3.5 - The Phantasm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
If I were to write more, I'd have him learning bits from other magicians, returning home with a decidedly eclectic collection of new skills and spells.
Oh, wow. Now I'm really curious as to what happened leading up to this and what Yuuno's return to his world would be like. Since he'd end up learning a bunch of bits from everyone, what would he learn? There's so much available to him in Gensokyo.

...Hax Sign: Burn Everything?
Old 2011-09-24, 12:01   Link #34434
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
Oh, wow. Now I'm really curious as to what happened leading up to this and what Yuuno's return to his world would be like. Since he'd end up learning a bunch of bits from everyone, what would he learn? There's so much available to him in Gensokyo.

...Hax Sign: Burn Everything?
What Yuuno could learn would be naturally limited by what he does and does not have any talent for.

If Yuuno really has no talent for shooting magic, as opposed to not learning such for various other possible reasons, then I don't think he's going to learn Fantasy Orbs/Seal.

Based just on what he already uses, Yukari and Reimu are the best people to learn from.

Learning from just about anyone else would suppose that he had previously unknown or underestimated or underutilized talents.

And if THAT was his only "problem", he could have stayed home and learned from his friends.

Instead, his problem seems to be that Boundary Mages like himself are as rare as Bombardment mages like Nanoha. Nanoha because no one else is strong enough to do that much, and Yuuno because boundary-fields are just that damn tricky and no one likes having to learn more than one to do their jobs.

There's Shamal, who could teach him what she knows about teleportation and fields. And he could get a Device like hers that facilitates his ability with those spells.

But in this story, he decided to look for someone who knew even more about these fields of expertise than even Shamal. Someone who might embody the very concept of boundaries.

As an explanation for why Yuuno sought out Gensokyo, it's okay. As a solution for growing stronger, it's a little far-fetched, considering the options already available to him.

Now, if you don't choose to dismiss the Huckebein as discontinuity, as I'm tempted to do, then it makes absolute sense that Yuuno would seek out Yukari and accept the possiblity of being a youkai. Because none of his skills will work against the Eclipse, or work with AEC technology.

Though, really... what prevents Yuuno from learning Alchemic Chain? If summoners are glorified teleporters, then Yuuno IS a pretty damn good teleporter.
Old 2011-09-24, 12:05   Link #34435
nemo1986

Well he is pretty good with Binding spells so is there anybody in Gensokyo who can teach him that.

I would think he would be pretty good with teleportation spells already because if he learned his spells to assist in his archaeology being fast on the draw to get out of cave ins would be good.
nemo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 12:21   Link #34436
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1986 View Post
Well he is pretty good with Binding spells so is there anybody in Gensokyo who can teach him that.
Binding and sealing techniques are generally only used by the "religious" folk.

Reimu the shrine maiden, Sanae the wind-priestess turned youkai-hunting shrine maiden, and Byakuren the former Buddhist nun turned black magician turned youkai Buddhist nun.

Byakuren might be able to teach Yuuno some things. But they work on two different styles, and we don't know his talent for "body-strengthening magic" (which is Increase/Boost magic in Nanoha terms) or matter transmutation.

Yukari probably also has binding and sealing tricks, and Ran almost certainly has the same with her onmyoudo / black magic / body-strengthening techniques.

If Yuuno becomes a youkai, and thus becomes stronger, Ran and Yukari can teach him how to bind and empower a familiar. Which he could probably already do, but which might not be very effective for him.

However, a familiar generally isn't going to help against the Huckebein.
Old 2011-09-24, 12:51   Link #34437
Old_Iron
. . .
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Old_Iron
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1986 View Post

I would think he would be pretty good with teleportation spells already because if he learned his spells to assist in his archaeology being fast on the draw to get out of cave ins would be good.
He could learn some binding and sealing from Eirin. If I remember correctly, she sealed away the Earth so that the bridge between the Earth and Moon would no longer exist. Her arts probably wouldn't be as versatile as the sealing arts of the religious folks, but still something useful to learn. Plus she'd at least be someone good to work with as a fellow intellectual, even if their occupational fields are very different.

Keine could be another one, with her ability to eat/seal and create/unseal history. But that could get wonky depending on whether is is a learned ability (which could open up a whole different issue) or something she was born with.

Patchouli might not be a good one to learn from owing to her style, but she'd be a good person to visit so he could access the Viole Library. The problem would be getting him OUT of the library.

If you want to get into more advanced teleportation, you'd have to talk to Yukari.
Old 2011-09-24, 15:39   Link #34438
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Yuuno Scrya
“Everyone’s Student”
“Librarian of Infinity”

Type A: Fortress Sign
Shot type: Reflective Shot
Focus fire: Refraction Shield

Type B: Scholar Sign
Shot type: Extermination Needles
Focus fire: Elemental Laser

Type C: Support Sign
Shot type: Wide Spread Bit Fire
Focus fire: Focused Bit Blaster

Bomb:
Yuuno A: Charged Shot - Master Spark (alpha ver.)
Yuuno B: Bounded Field - Time Distortion Field
Yuuno C: Restriction - Struggle Bind
Old 2011-09-24, 17:50   Link #34439
vic-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins

Advice Start

Advice 2

Advice 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Advice End:
Well, it`s a good concept you touch here - despite her look Filia is a dragon and her lifespan are much longer than human one. And her fear of outliving her beloved ones is understandable and could be a good plot twist in future. Or maybe mazoku lord Lucifer can do something nice and prolong Amy and Chrono lifespan in order to impress Lindy . Or Levi-chan can do something mean and radically shortening lifespan of three lovebirds.
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 18:01   Link #34440
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins

Advice Start

Advice 2

Advice 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peek - Advice End:
another reference to that extremely good but dang slow updating SMxMGLN crossover....

And I think we got the 4th member of the upcoming Scrya Harem: Miyuki...
Uh oh....

Is this the sign of a big clan about to be born from a FREAKING HAREM!?
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha