AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-24, 10:54   Link #321
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That and most of the gushing is taking place in the episode threads.
Old 2010-08-24, 10:55   Link #322
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Low screentime in season 2 + little to no development on her character= little discussion.
Taku. xO So it's just as I feared - Azusa would replace Mio like everyone claimed! Dx *goes back to Azusa-disliking mode*
Old 2010-08-24, 10:57   Link #323
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actaully most screentime is on Yui. Though Ritsu, Mugi, and Sawako have taken some time as well. Azusa has her time as well, but that's likely because she wasn't even in the show for the first seven episodes.

Most recent episodes have had a Mio focus due to the Romeo and Juliet storyline.
Old 2010-08-24, 12:04   Link #324
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Actaully most screentime is on Yui.
Yeah, probably 'coz she's most needed of development in her personality. *giggles*

I guess with such a well-rounded, mature persona like that of Mio, it goes without saying that you could only develop so much. :\ Ah well. I'm near the end of Season One, so I hope to see some more good stuff from her Romeo & Juliet arc. :3
Old 2010-08-24, 12:41   Link #325
krko
The Movie is Coming

I personally don't think Mio is that well rounded just yet. I feel that she's way too defined by her shyness than anything else. She acts mature but I think that she only does so to keep up with appearances. Case in point, in the BD character profiles, while she'd love to decorate her room with girly stuff(ala Yui), she decorates it chic and hip since she's too embarassed to do so. To contrast her with Azusa, Azusa is a mature person in an immature body while Mio is an immature person in a mature body.
Old 2010-08-24, 12:50   Link #326
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Consider that Mio and Azusa are probably the closest in terms of age to each other. Mio I believe is only two months older than Azusa (that or a year and two months older). Mio being the youngest of the original four girls.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:21   Link #327
Serffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Consider that Mio and Azusa are probably the closest in terms of age to each other. Mio I believe is only two months older than Azusa (that or a year and two months older). Mio being the youngest of the original four girls.

Mio's birthday : 15th of January (1992)
Azusa's birthday : 11th of November (1993)

Can't help but correct this mistake. Mio is the oldest of all the girls and there's about a year and 10 months of a difference between her and Azusa.

As for the topic on hand, Mio tries to act as a mature person because she believes it's her role and the correct thing to do. But deep inside, she'd like to be childish from time to time just as Yui and Ritsu.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:25   Link #328
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
I guess with such a well-rounded, mature persona like that of Mio, it goes without saying that you could only develop so much. :\ Ah well. I'm near the end of Season One, so I hope to see some more good stuff from her Romeo & Juliet arc. :3
As I said before, Mio is anything but mature. Or at least, less mature than she likes to be seen as by others. She uses her mature outer appearance to hide her childish/girlish side. She never learned to grow up and properly balance the two sides.

Ritsu told Mio that she's not honest with herself and I think nothing is more true than that. She is in constant denial in what she wants and it conflicts with what she does, example being trying to not laugh when all the others are in the school trip episode, only to burst out in laughter when she can't take no more. She wants to have fun, like the others, but if she does, she would sleo a bit of her mature appeal, which she apparently doesn't want, probably because it embarrasses her.

When she writes songs, the lyrics give away her true personality: that of a little girl who likes fluffy things and soft, squishy toys.

During the three years, she's grown a bit, but overall, I think she made the least progress.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:34   Link #329
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serffix View Post
Mio's birthday : 15th of January (1992)
Azusa's birthday : 11th of November (1993)

Can't help but correct this mistake. Mio is the oldest of all the girls and there's about a year and 10 months of a difference between her and Azusa.

As for the topic on hand, Mio tries to act as a mature person because she believes it's her role and the correct thing to do. But deep inside, she'd like to be childish from time to time just as Yui and Ritsu.

Actually this cannot be correct since the episode they show the girls ages is in April. Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi are all shown to be 15 years old at that point of their first year in High School. Mugi and Ritsu's birthdays are later in the year. Mio has had her birthday already and Yui's in November. This suggests that Mio is the youngest aside from Azusa.

I did get my numbers reversed though. Asuza would be ten months younger than Mio and born the same year. It is Yui that is only about a month and a half older than Mio.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:38   Link #330
Nerroth
NePoi!

Didn't realise Azunyan was born on Remembrance Day.
Old 2010-08-24, 13:50   Link #331
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
She never learned to grow up and properly balance the two sides.
Hah... perhaps. So far, I felt her personality is balanced just right for me, though. Her childishness on the inside is restrained by her maturity so that she wouldn't do really silly things that would be on the expense of others (like Ritsu taking advantage of Mio's cowardice nature, for example). On the other hand, she does not let her hypocrisy go so far that she's just a bookworm, one-sided Mary Sue kind of serious girl, leaking her childish side from time to time - a cute aspect that got me to like her very much in the first place.

Additionally, I felt that her mature side might have rubbed away the childish side that she kept away over time. Not that I've observed any scenes depicting such, but it's natural that if she acts mature long enough, her childishness would be unconsciously gone, without her knowledge.
Old 2010-08-24, 15:23   Link #332
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Hah... perhaps. So far, I felt her personality is balanced just right for me, though. Her childishness on the inside is restrained by her maturity so that she wouldn't do really silly things that would be on the expense of others (like Ritsu taking advantage of Mio's cowardice nature, for example). On the other hand, she does not let her hypocrisy go so far that she's just a bookworm, one-sided Mary Sue kind of serious girl, leaking her childish side from time to time - a cute aspect that got me to like her very much in the first place.
To each his own. Her yellow streak is already a major turn-off for me, though. Nothing wrong with being a bit apprehensive, but she is scared of pretty much everything. Psychologists would have a field day with her.

Quote:
Additionally, I felt that her mature side might have rubbed away the childish side that she kept away over time. Not that I've observed any scenes depicting such, but it's natural that if she acts mature long enough, her childishness would be unconsciously gone, without her knowledge.
You must have been watching Azusa then, as I don't see that in Mio at all.
Old 2010-08-25, 16:36   Link #333
Maccette
VF-1X Original Test Pilot

There is just something about Mio that i love, just can't put my finger on it.
Old 2010-08-25, 17:42   Link #334
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccette View Post
There is just something about Mio that i love, just can't put my finger on it.
I know, right?

Disregarding what Lord of Fire said (no offence ), I actually like Mio more for her maturity (or apparent maturity, whatever) than for her moe-ness. I mean, if I wanna like a cute, moe-ish character in K-On!, that character would be the ditsy Yui for me, whom I've yet to watch her mature as a character in S1.

Moreover, Mio is different than the other tsunderes. She's not overly tsun (or bitchy, for that matter) like Kallen (or hell, Takagi from HotD), and not overly dere so much so that it's just plain annoying to people.

Take Episode 11 of S1, for example. I love that episode. Many people criticized it, but I felt it was important to add on that sense of control in Mio's character. She was the one who ended up apologizing to Ritsu. She was the one not being silly or childish like Ritsu (though I'll admit it's a bit out of character for the latter). And even for Ritsu, it was not exactly, as people said, making her look bitchy, but I'll not go into that.

Mio's not the most original character ever out there, but like I said, a combination of a childish, cutesy character with a mature one (or one acting mature) to not let things get overly annoying with the cutesiness? That's someone very likable to me.

Last edited by WBoon; 2010-08-25 at 18:03.
Old 2010-08-25, 18:56   Link #335
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Moreover, Mio is different than the other tsunderes. She's not overly tsun (or bitchy, for that matter) like Kallen (or hell, Takagi from HotD), and not overly dere so much so that it's just plain annoying to people.
I wouldn't exactly categorize Mio as a Tsundere The Tsundere of the group would be Ritsu. She's a Kuudere if anything. x]
Old 2010-08-26, 11:05   Link #336
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Wink

I don't understand this need of grow up for characters, specially if is all right with her.

Look at episode 21 for example. Mio time screen is low, but her presense is strong with a mature, yet controversal, decision.

Mio will be always a shy person. Even I with my 34 years (Yes, I am Old) would be embarrassed with my colleagues saying "Gambare" "Go, You can do..." for a picture.

PS: Sorry my English.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:01   Link #337
krko
The Movie is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
I don't understand this need of grow up for characters, specially if is all right with her.

Look at episode 21 for example. Mio time screen is low, but her presense is strong with a mature, yet controversal, decision.

Mio will be always a shy person. Even I with my 34 years (Yes, I am Old) would be embarrassed with my colleagues saying "Gambare" "Go, You can do..." for a picture.

PS: Sorry my English.
Eh, IMO, risking your future for the chance to be with your friends for four more years doesn't strike me as as mature. At least Yui and Ritsu have the excuse that they haven't chosen anything yet but Mio sacrificing a ticket to a pretty good college just for the chance to be with her friends strikes me as kinda rash.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:22   Link #338
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Eh, IMO, risking your future for the chance to be with your friends for four more years doesn't strike me as as mature. At least Yui and Ritsu have the excuse that they haven't chosen anything yet but Mio sacrificing a ticket to a pretty good college just for the chance to be with her friends strikes me as kinda rash.
It's not like Mio is giving up the chance to go to Harvard so she can go to, say, beauty school. For that matter, we know nothing about the school Mio applies to, only that she's got her choice of them.

And the school Mugi is going to is a private womens' college. It's likely to only be a small step down for Mio. The only ones whose choice of school is rash and impulsive are Ritsu and Yui; the ones you'd expect to muddle through a two-year technical certification at Podunk Community College.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:25   Link #339
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...at least Mio will have fangirls.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:41   Link #340
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Eh, IMO, risking your future for the chance to be with your friends for four more years doesn't strike me as as mature.
I'd say, maturity in this case, is subjective. I feel that a good future doesn't necessary requires a PhD degree anyway, but I digress.

No. Mio is not mature in the sense that she chooses the most practical actions. Anyone could be realistic, but having realism doesn't mean you are 'mature.' Mio strikes me as a character that's more responsible (not to mention being calm enough to think thoroughly) when dealing with matters in regards to her friends. A motherly figure, if you will, not letting her friends going too out of path, yet not restraining them (or herself) so much that she would become the cold, academical Harvard student that strives more to be a better person than being a better friend.

Heart over mind, if you will. I see that as a different kind of maturity that most people in society today are so negligent about, making them cold or, as they claimed, 'practical.'
Closed Thread

Tags
characters