AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2010-03-09, 02:01   Link #901
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah, you should be using VLC. Everyone should. It can practically play anything.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 03:58   Link #902
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

No, you should never use VLC to play anything that ends in an MKV. Or anything else for that matter. It's still among the worst playback solutions out there.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 06:46   Link #903
Vide
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Or if you want your subs to only be used on your release and not remuxed/re-used.
Getting the timing and subtitles from hardsubbed releases is not that hard. Slightly time consuming for one person.
An 13 episode series can be subripped in 3-4 days, or less if you have plenty of time on your hands.

The downside is not having all the signs typeset the way they were, but most FOs are not hard to replicate, so not that big a deal.

Usually the reason for wanting to subrip something like this would be to use with a superior source, like dvd or blu-ray. Some groups might be opposed to that, but hardsubbing something is not going to prevent anyone from using their subs.
Vide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 13:33   Link #904
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rook_ View Post
You should be using VLC or the media player bundled with CCCP for all video files anyway lmao. As for space 1TB drives are ~$80 right now, HD space is becoming less of an issue as well.
why are you arguing with someone from five years ago
I mean even if you're blind and illiterate and never read the "posted at" header the fact that the thread is 46 pages long and you're talking to someone on page 3 should sorta clue you in
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 16:26   Link #905
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
There has been an awful lot of thread necromancy as of late. We've got an entire horde of zombie threads wandering around asuki now.

Need moar shotguns.
Old 2010-03-09, 21:21   Link #906
creamyhorror

What disturbs me is that people are still recommending VLC. It may be better now than it was a year or two ago, but it still doesn't do multithreaded decoding.
creamyhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:10   Link #907
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Basically I use VLC and KMP for 99% of my viewing-sometimes I use SMplayer for critical viewing.
Old 2010-03-10, 01:10   Link #908
rook_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
why are you arguing with someone from five years ago
I mean even if you're blind and illiterate and never read the "posted at" header the fact that the thread is 46 pages long and you're talking to someone on page 3 should sorta clue you in
It'll still get the message across to everyone else. Yes I realized how old the post was.

By the way I don't even use VLC, rather Media Player Classic Homecinema that came with CCCP.
rook_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 00:09   Link #909
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rook_ View Post
It'll still get the message across to everyone else. Yes I realized how old the post was.

By the way I don't even use VLC, rather Media Player Classic Homecinema that came with CCCP.
Me too! I've never had any problem with Media Player Classic, except when it comes to OGM files, which are better played in the OGM player if what you're watching has dual auido/subtitles. The only flaw I see in MPC is it's slightly more complicated if you want to switch quickly between audio/sub types, since you have to go through 2 sub-menus when right clicking to do it.

But that's neither here nor there. Personally, I like MP4 files. They almost have as good a quality as MKV, but I can upload them to my iPod Touch. Not many fansubbers encode in MP4 format, though. It makes me sad. Most of the time, if I'm watching them on my computer, I prefer MKV for the quality. I have 2 external harddrives, so the extra storage that the MKVs take up isn't a problem.

I do want to add that if I did need extra storage space, I would probably prefer AVI format. Lower quality, yes, but considering that it's just over 1/2 the filesize as MKV for the same content (i.e. same episode), I would say it's good "bang for your buck".
Old 2010-03-11, 02:20   Link #910
jfs
Aegisub dev

Spectacular_Insanity:
Nothing forces AVI files to be low quality and small, you can make an extremely high quality and huge AVI file. Nothing forces MP4 files to be large or small, good quality or bad quality either. The same applies for Matroska.
Everything depends on what codec the person encoding chooses and what settings he uses for it, as well as the filtering the encoder chooses to use. But that's been covered time upon time already in this thread.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 05:56   Link #911
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
There is a disturbing amount of confusion between container formats and video codecs in this thread.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 20:16   Link #912
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vide View Post
Getting the timing and subtitles from hardsubbed releases is not that hard. Slightly time consuming for one person.
An 13 episode series can be subripped in 3-4 days, or less if you have plenty of time on your hands.

The downside is not having all the signs typeset the way they were, but most FOs are not hard to replicate, so not that big a deal.

Usually the reason for wanting to subrip something like this would be to use with a superior source, like dvd or blu-ray. Some groups might be opposed to that, but hardsubbing something is not going to prevent anyone from using their subs.
Yes, it is possible to get the subs off hardsubbed releases, and it is time consuming. That's why it's rare to see an OCR remux. Like, Haruhi 2 from afk was only available in DivX. And nobody's OCRed them that I know of.

Just like a deadbolt doesn't stop a person from breaking into a house, it only deters them, and makes them think it's not worth the effort.
Old 2010-03-11, 20:50   Link #913
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
On the other hand, the Hitsuji DVD rips of Haruhi S1 did use OCR'd a.f.k. subs. In this case, I think it's more a matter of no one wanting to make the effort for Endless Eight.
Desbreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 21:42   Link #914
Plorkyeran

Amortized over the course of 13 episodes, OCRing hardsubs is about 5 minutes of work per episode.
Plorkyeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 02:20   Link #915
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

I'd say it's a lot more than that. Even a friend of mine who has done quite a lot of hardsub OCR needs about 45 minutes per episode on average for a 26-episode series.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 08:51   Link #916
Plorkyeran

It does depend a lot on the video quality. However, if it's taking significantly longer to OCR an episode than it does to watch it you should just transcribe it instead (and if you can't type fast enough to transcribe subs in close to real time you should learn how to do that first as being able to type fast is very useful).
Plorkyeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 09:36   Link #917
jfs
Aegisub dev

Perhaps could someone start making relatively low-res, softsubbed H.264 MKV releases at small filesizes, just to convince the last Xvid-AVI-lovers that their fears are unfounded?

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 10:40   Link #918
Zergrinch
Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zergrinch Send a message via Yahoo to Zergrinch
@Plorkyeran: As someone who's involved in a transcription (not translation) fansub project, I am very MUCH interested in this five minute OCR.

What software can I use to do it, from a source that looks like this (actual size):

(I have tried SubRip 1.50b4, and I estimate that it's 400% faster to just retype than OCR.)
Zergrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 17:09   Link #919
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

ocr is only efficient on a source where the characters can be expected to look (mostly) identical every time they appear
in that source they obviously can't, so yeah, no
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 18:12   Link #920
mjlF95

Why is H.264 MKV so popular?

Hey. I started reading through the The H.264/AVC/MPEG4 discussion thread but it was way too long so I'm asking in a new thread.

I typically download Xvid .AVI versions of anime whenever humanly possible.

Reasons are thus:

There are 3 TVs in my house, all of which I'd like to watch anime on. I have a PC hooked up to a TV in my bedroom where I could conceivably watch H.264 MKVs, I think my PC can handle it. However, I frequently plug a netbook into the living room TV to watch there which is not powerful enough to watch HD video. The other TV has a PS3 and a 360 plugged into it which are supposed to be able to play AVIs, but cannot play MKVs. Plus the Xvid .AVIs are around 30% smaller than the .MKVs and take up less HDD space. Xvid .AVI is right choice for me to have the best compatibility across platforms in my home.

So why do others choose H.264 MKV files? They seem to be a lot more popular I'm curious as to why others like them.
mjlF95 is offline   Reply With Quote