Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-01, 15:21   Link #41
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
It'll be nice if they can bring in Cadderly and Danica, so that I can try to kill them (though I know they won't debut in the new release). Any new legendary characters I can try killing? I'm such a Realms diehard (at least before 4e).
4e does not exist

so what class are you guys going for?
Old 2012-08-01, 21:03   Link #42
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
4e does not exist

so what class are you guys going for?
I'm talking about 4e in FR, not talking about BG. Them killing Mystra in 4e killed FR for me, which in turn lead to killing 4e for me T_T. She's my favorite Greater Deity.

I've already previously played:
Monk
Kensai Mage
Kensai Thief
Berserker Cleric
Paladin
Sorcerer

I seriously don't know. Not even sure whether I have time to play.
Kensai Thief has always been my favorite because of "Use any item" skill (I can even use Carsomyr though it sucks without 2H prof LOL).

Well, whatever I choose, I'll probably install Saerileth mod (if it still works and there are no new romancable characters) and give her Carsomyr.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 21:22   Link #43
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I'm talking about 4e in FR, not talking about BG. Them killing Mystra in 4e killed FR for me, which in turn lead to killing 4e for me T_T. She's my favorite Greater Deity.
4th Ed does not exist, no such thing.

Quote:
I've already previously played:
Monk
Kensai Mage
Kensai Thief
Berserker Cleric
Paladin
Sorcerer
i am hoping they would fix it so you could duel class Monk and the Sorcerer class with other classes.
Old 2012-08-01, 22:23   Link #44
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They should really update Baldurs Gate to the latest DnD edition.

Playing BG with 3.5E rules would be so amazing!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 22:56   Link #45
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
What's with all the hate on 4th edition? .

I don't play paper and pen roleplaying so I wouldn't know. BGI and II are amongst my top favourite video games of all time though and probably my favourite RPG of all time.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 23:25   Link #46
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm kind of obligated to be all over this (hey, username) but to be honest, after Dragon Age (there's no such thing as DA2) -- in fact, after BG2 -- the first BG only has nostalgia value. The plot was simpler, the relationships and characterizations thinner, the mechanics outdated, the villain not that epic (eh, armored man), and it was more of a classic old-style exploring places and stuff than an epic adventure that Shadows of Amn grew into.

I understand the sentiment of not breaking old IPs with fail modernizations, since I'm usually on that side of things. But I think the project would have been considerably more interesting if it isn't just co-opting the modding community's hard work and add in some compatibility fixes. I mean, you can do all that with mods. Everybody already did that with the mods.

They could have added more characterization to the vast and rather shallow cast, throw things around a bit, tinker here and there, throw the mechanics out the window and try something new...even if it's just AD&D 3.5 and Neverwinter Nights-era mechanics updates.

Sure, there'll be storms of rage and wailing and gnashing of teeth about every single little change, and I'll probably be one of the howling sirens, but I think I'll also be happier raging about the changes than having my nostalgia ruined because it turns out CRPG videogaming made some progress in the past decade after all (which, of course, it did).

And they should totally MUST add in Imoen's romance. And do it better than that romance novel thing floating around the 'Net.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 00:09   Link #47
larethian

Quote:
4th Ed does not exist, no such thing.

i am hoping they would fix it so you could duel class Monk and the Sorcerer class with other classes.
I see. Sorry I missed the message.
Dual-classing Monk (as later class) will be so hax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
They should really update Baldurs Gate to the latest DnD edition.

Playing BG with 3.5E rules would be so amazing!
That might require an overhaul of the game engine, which clearly is too much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
And they should totally MUST add in Imoen's romance. And do it better than that romance novel thing floating around the 'Net.
Speaking of Imoen romance, I never tried the mod, was it good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
What's with all the hate on 4th edition? .
It was a political move, and they have to make some major changes to some of the Worlds. Well I hardly play other Worlds except for Forgotten Realms, and they killed Mystra! It's a sin to kill Mystra!
Old 2012-08-02, 01:24   Link #48
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

It was a political move, and they have to make some major changes to some of the Worlds. Well I hardly play other Worlds except for Forgotten Realms, and they killed Mystra! It's a sin to kill Mystra!
it wasn't politics, it was marketing. the newer authors hired by wotc were complaining about having to *gasp* learn about history of the Realm so they can keep form stepping form the continuity and the marketing dept wanted to wipe-out all the realm lore form the 40+ yrs because they felt the sheer amount accumulate lore was too high a barrier for new players.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:40   Link #49
larethian

Quote:
it wasn't politics, it was marketing. the newer authors hired by wotc were complaining about having to *gasp* learn about history of the Realm so they can keep form stepping form the continuity and the marketing dept wanted to wipe-out all the realm lore form the 40+ yrs because they felt the sheer amount accumulate lore was too high a barrier for new players.
Oh, I always thought they wanted to strip the 4e royalty off the original creator. I heard they went into a lawsuit? I might be wrong though. Anyway, even for pencil-and-paper, I haven't even played 3e. Only read it. I retired around 2002, and never left AD&D 2e + the Option series.

And I seriously can't agree with what they are thinking, it's that kind of lore that makes the campaign world epic. New players can always start small. It's not like you need to be completely familiar with the lore to start gaming (it really depends on the DM and how good he is). My first FR game was in Waterdeep and I only learn about the Pantheons and how big the Realms were later. The DM pulled out Khelben and I didn't even know who he was until much later. (So I always thought the marketing reason was BS, though I could be wrong.)
Old 2012-08-02, 14:51   Link #50
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Oh, I always thought they wanted to strip the 4e royalty off the original creator. I heard they went into a lawsuit? I might be wrong though. Anyway, even for pencil-and-paper, I haven't even played 3e. Only read it. I retired around 2002, and never left AD&D 2e + the Option series.

And I seriously can't agree with what they are thinking, it's that kind of lore that makes the campaign world epic. New players can always start small. It's not like you need to be completely familiar with the lore to start gaming (it really depends on the DM and how good he is). My first FR game was in Waterdeep and I only learn about the Pantheons and how big the Realms were later. The DM pulled out Khelben and I didn't even know who he was until much later. (So I always thought the marketing reason was BS, though I could be wrong.)
it was talk about by the game designers on the old FR forum.
Old 2012-08-04, 04:33   Link #51
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Speaking of Imoen romance, I never tried the mod, was it good?
It's...like a romance novel, as I said. Including the "quality time" part.

Your opinion therefore depends on how much of a Harlequin fan you are. That and the eternal truth, there's no good [i.e. truly well written] Baldur's Gate romance mod out there...actually make that all Baldur's Gate romance, including official ones.

I was torn between laughing at the cheesiness of some of the writing and just being happy to actually have an Imoen route for the MC. The mod is actually very well crafted, lots of triggers and stuff, a special item, plenty of dialogue, dream sequences (some people really hated them), and it even took into account your other companions. I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that, for example, Jaheira totally freaked out while Aerie idolized Imoen and the MC. Actually, that does remind me that it kind of took the incest-drama angle way up, which can be jarring given that her status as a "sister" isn't even all that clear cut.

A little warning though:
Spoiler for spoiler of the mod, BIG ONE by the way:

However, as someone mentioned above, it's SoA-only. The ToB part was never finished. And obvious it isn't made for BG1.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 12:44   Link #52
larethian

^ Well, speaking of good romance mods, I actually find the Saerileth (Paladin of Tyr) mod to be extremely well-written. It's really better than any of the default romances, ToB compatible and has a lot of well-scripted details. It also does take into account of your companions and has a very consistent character. Well some may find it annoying that you have to be goodie or she will leave you (like not getting thief's guild, have high rep and stuff). But I love it so much that I kept using it unless I'm playing evil to kill things that should not be killed.
Old 2012-08-04, 17:07   Link #53
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Saerilith creeped me out, considering her er...age. Plus, I'm never a goodie. Ever. Except the two seconds I played the Saerilith mod before I got too creeped out.

/shrug

As much as I love(d) BG1/2 modding, I can't think of any truly good romance themed mods.

I like to think of the BG games as more tongue in cheek in that regard, and no mod really did it as well (intentionally or not), as the official romances concerning Viconia and Jaheira. Though there were certainly some funny mods as well in that department.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-14, 04:47   Link #54
Elestia

Soon.
Old 2012-09-14, 04:54   Link #55
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

That, if you will excuse my french, is fucking awesome.

edit: wait, that's just a mod? dammit.
Old 2012-09-15, 09:34   Link #56
Random Wanderer

Got some bad news, folks. At least, bad news from my perspective, as someone who's been counting the days until release... Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition has been delayed. This was announced yesterday. So, four days before it was supposed to be released, they announced a two month delay. I don't object to them making sure the game works right, but we really should have been told about this further in advance.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 11:14   Link #57
larethian

actually game SW delays are pretty common.
Old 2012-09-15, 12:36   Link #58
willx
Nyaaan~~

Wow, I just discovered this thread! My brethren! .. And the first thing I find out is.. a delay! I've been waiting for this for a VERY long time.. Why!?

"DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO YOU FACE!?"
"YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!"

Ah.. Excellent english voice-acting .. how I miss you..

Last edited by willx; 2012-09-15 at 20:15.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 16:54   Link #59
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

If it means less bugs and problems, then I don't mind all that much.

Torchlight 2 comes next week, so I'll keep myself busy with that until then.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-15 at 17:22.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 09:41   Link #60
Destined_Fate

I just hope that this is moddable.

Torchlight 2... It does look far better than 1 but aren't they also working on a 3 as well? Thought they wanted to get a 3 released out sooner than later or have they changed their priorities?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baldur's gate, dragons, dungeons, minsc