AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-03, 07:22   Link #81
wao
OK.

Damn you manuloz and your super-hyper-fast speeds I just saw that on 2ch when I got an email notification saying you posted, LOL. Are you going to up it on youtube?

And while Yuuko is a little more cutesy than I had expected, can I say this? THE WALLS ARE SO COOL. I don't know how to explain it but it's so awesome that the walls fix themselves and actually display a "fixed" sign after that, and things can still rush in while it's being fixed. It doesn't seem like much but somehow the very concept of it is just so fascinating. What's beyond the wall? How big is the wall? How do you go IN a wall? It really fux0rz with your perceptions more than lolcat ever could I think...

Crazy. @_@ And awesome, too. Also, Isako is getting cooler than before and I have finally decided Densuke really is damn cute (no need to mention Oyaji, and damn, I would love to have an Oyaji plushie... even if just to freak everyone else out )

EDIT: Ah, and also it seems over the past week or two there's been funny updates at Mitsuo Iso's site. Apparently the enigmatic IMAGO-IMAGE picture of his with that eclipse-like image got lines added and other details and it seems like it turned out to look like one of those strange patterns that appear on the floor (I believe Isako is throwing them this time around).
Old 2007-05-03, 10:24   Link #82
manuloz

I think i even beat the sakuga thread i was following (228).... when these picture of Iso and Hiramatsu showed up i thought there was a new video. So i went to check nicovideo and stage6 and there it was ^^.

So i suppose this is your account on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGiE3xYFEQQ
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 21:48   Link #83
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
if anyone happens to be Japanese native, I want to ask what kind of title is "Dennou Coil"? Someone told me Dennou is an archaic word referring to computer or "electric brain", so with "coil" the title conjures some pulp sci-fi image of a robot's brain with coils and whatnot, like some robo-frankenstein. Is this true or untrue -- can someone elaborate?
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 22:29   Link #84
wao
OK.

I'm certainly not Japanese native, but apparently dennou is the archaic word for "computer" and yes it means "electric brain" (電 den = electric, 脳 nou = brain). Incidentally or not, the Chinese word for computer is written with the same kanji and read "dian nao".

I think Dennou Coil is something that actually will appear in the show, but I really wouldn't know what it is right now...

edit: And yes, that is, manuloz I hardly ever upload anything these days though.
Old 2007-05-07, 05:55   Link #85
manuloz

Illustration Toshiyuki Inoue (Animage June 2007)

source : 2chan.
manuloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 00:03   Link #86
7Th
Mixtape

Well... not longer before it airs I bet. Anyway, thanks for the scans manuloz, even if they make me realize how better those virtual machinas would've looked in 2D. D:
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 09:18   Link #87
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 1:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 11:09   Link #88
wao
OK.

Gah, I'm too braindead to make any proper comments - but let's just say it was exactly as good as I expected it to be. Perhaps the first episode didn't give so much of a hint as to what the characters were like (though I think it did, but then again I read all the scans and info and all that)... but one thing that definitely placed this as the best ep 1 I've seen so far is

a. The settings.
By this I mean the whole construction of the world and the way things work. I think it's very rarely that any work could feel so creative in its ideas (but then again, I am not well-read in the least so perhaps the idea behind this show has been expressed elsewhere). For one thing, the whole idea of walls being "fixed" and the 3D space aroudn us being manipulated into virtual functions and areas is simply amazing even on its own. There's something very indescribably "wow" about that idea, it just makes you sort of jolt your perceptions and do a double-take and jog your mind in the way good artwork does. Even more so when it's set in a contrasting background - a sleepy sort of town with old, well-worn buildings and a vaguely nostalgic feel to it.
The most amazing part is how it does all of this without it feeling contrived for one second, and all this happens completely smoothly. And you can tell that Iso has really thought very thoroughly about what are the complete implications of such settings - because you can see this through all the small details that make it come alive and work so well. Things like how there's individual information on various pets (god, that cat was called Hepburn! That has to rock), and how when you throw a bag onto a pet it kind of goes wonky for a while, and how there's a virtual "currency" and even down to the little little details like signal reception when Yasako's using the phone and how Isako could hide from the thingamablob by drawing a circle with chalk...

Honestly, I could just go on and on and on about it because I just love it so much. Some of the most cool things were like how the Kyuu-chans were literally reformatting the outdated virtual spaces, and even the fact that there were "old spaces" and you could run into them or create entrances into them... I'm looking forward to see if they have any more to offer us along the lines of the place of old things in a new environment.

b. The animation, duh? Do I even need to mention this? This is like a sakuga otaku's wet dream or something. If this was some battle game this would be some overpowered lineup or something (just like Gurenn Lagann and Paranoia Agent).
I think it's a waste of words describing how amazing the animation is, because you honestly have to see it for yourself. It's a standard that's hard for most TV anime to reach, and I expect there will be some eps with comparatively sub-par animation for sure, but it isn't just about merely fluid animation and pretty faces: the animation tells the story. That is exactly what the best animation should do, IMO. The movements, expressions, poses, etc. of the children describe their personalities and emotions and reactions at the point of time as well as further the sequence of events in a beliveable fashion. There's no need for long descriptions or explanations from the get-go despite the complicated designs, because they speak for themselves. Such as Fumie's funky Dennou Rod thing (I thought the way the "line" acted as a phone line as well was ingenious) and her seemingly limitless pocket. It's not as if Yasako's not surprised, of course.

Ugh, I'm going to crash on the keyboard at this rate... anyway, go watch it. You might not enjoy it if you're looking only for action though, but even if you just like cute stuff you should love this (maybe some other time I should blather on about how mind-bogglingly adorable this is, I want a Densuke right now and Oyaji is just multiple levels of awwww-some.)
Old 2007-05-12, 11:44   Link #89
dxgarten

Episode 01 screenshots and OP/ED

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-12, 11:59   Link #90
7Th
Mixtape

Why is no one seeding the semi-HD version?
Old 2007-05-12, 14:12   Link #91
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Why is no one seeding the semi-HD version?
I bet as you get past 30% more seeders will become available. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 2007-05-12, 14:20   Link #92
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I bet as you get past 30% more seeders will become available. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Yeah, it's pretty smooth now, only 20 minutes left.
Old 2007-05-12, 23:37   Link #93
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for Episode 1: The screeshots actually do not do any justice to this episode, but I'm still inclined to post it just because how moved I was by this episode. It is simply ridiculously good. It's too early to start the fan faring, but if even half of the overall quality demonstrated in episode 1 sustained through out the series, this can very well be turned out to one of those show that people actually talk about a long time after. Am I being bold or what? What a year this has been for the anime-fans so far!!

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-13, 09:40   Link #94
7Th
Mixtape

Dennou Coil’s first episode was amazingly charming for the lack of a better word. I won’t currently comment on the setting or storyline beyond what one could easily with the eyes due to my pathetically poor understanding of Japanese but even at such a point of complete visual interpretation not even the pickier of critics can deny how well constructed the episode was beyond the seemingly formulaic “new girls get to town meets new friends encounters mysterious creatures and we end the episode in a cliffhanger” premise.

I suppose the best part of the show is how visual the storytelling is, both in terms of storyboard scene composition and the impressive movement by itself. This may be a little significant bias of me, but as Gurren-Lagann this show achieves what I’ve come to appreciate more in animation: narrative through images. In the end, it greatly helps the multilayered presentation Iso was going for, a really fun kid’s adventure show with an intriguing world outlook and an overall melancholic mood that uses its playfulness to reach an underlying target of adults that long for their childhood.

And I of course couldn’t end this without some comment on the movement, which sported a really nice low-key weighty naturalistic yet cartoony depiction. The motions were very dynamic yet understated, like if they were using an extremely precise exaggeration of action with a very clear objective of what they want to show in screen. It doesn’t harm that technically it is fairly, heavy injustice to the actual quality, well done and sleek.

On a related note... what were the main credits for the episode?
Old 2007-05-14, 02:04   Link #95
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The animation was assured and subtle, the look interesting, the voice-acting good. And it certainly told the story in images, for the most part. But this first episode didn't really hook me, as a story.

The episode script and storyboard were by the director, Iso Mitsuo. The animation supervisor was Honda Takeshi. And the episode director was 安川勝, who is credited as "Yasukawa Masaru," though I can't find confirmation that his name is pronounced that way. No Anime No Life says he directed an episode of Scrapped Princess and four of The Mars Daybreak. This blog post knows more about the staff than I do.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-14 at 02:18.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 08:37   Link #96
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Am I the only one who thinks that black blob of a virus is cuter than Densuke and Oyaji? Oyaji's still pretty awesome though.

Well, I'm slightly mixed on the first episode. The OP/ED both set me into it's atmospheric mood with it's choice of music and accompanying visuals, but the first episode felt more "worldly" and fast-paced in the introduction of the conceptual world of Dennou Coil. Still good, and very interesting, but it didn't have what I think it's the "sink-in" feeling yet. It's a petty complaint, since it's merely episode 1, but I dunno...I was expecting...something...slower?

On the more positive side, it was really good though. I love the storyboarding along with the use of colours and subtle animation, especially at the train part in the beginning. The way the repeated movements were repeated, up and down, with the character quirks in their patterns feel...refreshing. It doesn't sound that great, but it really feels more alive in animation. Not to mention the use of style and colours, felt low-key and yet somehow retain a rich vibrancy. The more bright colours were mildly lacking, but we've only seen a scrap of Iso's world in a close view, so I'm expecting more.

Not the best 1st episode evar imo, (( I don't even remember what I consider 1st )) but it's damn good, probably best of this season.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 08:40   Link #97
Honey_and_Cleaver

The animation somehow reminded me of Kissdum. I can only see one guy in newtype picture. The first impression i got, harem in disguise.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-14, 08:41   Link #98
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post
The animation somehow reminded me of Kissdum. I can only see one guy in newtype picture. The first impression i got, harem in disguise.
facepalm.jpg

Don't ever attempt to become an animation runner. Ever.
Old 2007-05-14, 10:29   Link #99
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It is simply ridiculously good. It's too early to start the fan faring, but if even half of the overall quality demonstrated in episode 1 sustained through out the series, this can very well be turned out to one of those show that people actually talk about a long time after. Am I being bold or what?
I personally think that you're just being realistic The first episode just bowled me over. If they can sustain the same quality throughout the series, it would not only be THE show of the season but also of the year. There's so much potential in the series from just what they have shown in the first episode that it is extremely hard not to set the expectations sky high.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 20:59   Link #100
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Ureshii's wrapped their fingers on this, and got Episode 1 subbed.

Yay. :3

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction